Jetsun

The importance of Bodhichitta and compassion

I have been reading a lot of Buddhist forums and it seems like many of the internet Buddhists underestimate the importance of Bodhichitta, especially many of the Dzogchen practitioners. This is what the Dalai Lama said when he gave his own teachings on Dzogchen when giving a teaching on the Longchen Rabjam text 'Finding Comfort and Ease in Meditation on the Great Perfection'

"The fundamental reason we are able to attain omniscience lies in bodhichitta, which itself is rooted in compassion. If bodhichitta is present, the state of omniscience - and buddhahood- is possible; without it, buddhahood can never be attained. Everything then depends upon whether we have bodhichitta.

Our kind teacher Lord Buddha, on the basis of his own experience, taught that the principle training for us to follow is that of bodhichitta. We could think of the Basic Vehicle as a foundation or preliminary to bodhichitta and all the teachings on bodhichitta itself in the Mahayana as the main body of the path. This includes the six transcendent perfections, and it is within the practice of concentration and wisdom that the cycle of Vajrayana teachings and practices fall. They constitute a training in bodhichitta. So I feel that all the 84,000 teachings of the Buddha - the Basic Vehicle, Mahayana and Vajrayana- are rooted in bodhichitta."

- Mind in Comfort and Ease - Dalai Lama - pp153

Edited by Jetsun
  • Like 2

Compassion is good... but compassion for those who cause harm to us... it is safe?

It is necessary.

• Like 1

I have been reading a lot of Buddhist forums and it seems like many of the internet Buddhists underestimate the importance of Bodhichitta, especially many of the Dzogchen practitioners.

This is just another incorrect statement like usual.

This is just another incorrect statement like usual.

Perhaps you might explain why it is incorrect, given of course it is the posters conclusion from reading on the internet.

The term "internet Buddhists" is just typical Jetsun. This is like the time when said 'internet Buddhists' belittle the eight lower Nyingma yanas.

While true, that's because that's the standard Nyingma view from the ancient times to Dudjom Rinpoche :D

Edited by RongzomFan

I think the onus is on him to prove that.

He said it seems to him ... i.e. he has gained that impression ... there's nothing to prove except that that is the case ... and if it wasn't he would not have posted.

Bodhicitta is the aspiration to achieve samyaksambuddhahood as fast as possible to benefit infinite sentient beings.

Obviously Dzogchenpas achieve samyakbuddahood the fastest.

Bodhicitta arises from the inseparability of the wisdom of insight into the nature of reality and compassion.

Trying to reach Buddhahood the fastest could well make you the slowest.

I think the onus is on him to prove that.

It is my impression from reading forums like Dharma wheel, you are free to disagree. I don't think that is the part of the post worth focusing on though to be honest.

• Like 1

I have been reading a lot of Buddhist forums and it seems like many of the internet Buddhists underestimate the importance of Bodhichitta, especially many of the Dzogchen practitioners.

yes, its a strange phenomenon.

they are a mixed bunch though in real life. some are really very sincere, kind, soft, and full of heart, while a few really strut themselves around like peacocks. ("oooh, lookie here, im a dzogchen yogi, and you are nothing..."). the antics are endless, even more apparent when the big Guru comes a-calling to the centre to do the rounds. tantric novices. dont expect too much.

I get 104 pages of search results for "bodhicitta" on Dharma Wheel, with 2069 matches.

Edited by RongzomFan
  • Like 2

I get 104 pages of search results for "bodhicitta" on Dharma Wheel, with 2069 matches.

time well spent ... but you missed the point.

It is my impression from reading forums like Dharma wheel, you are free to disagree. I don't think that is the part of the post worth focusing on though to be honest.

yes, its a strange phenomenon.

they are a mixed bunch though in real life. some are really very sincere, kind, soft, and full of heart, while a few really strut themselves around like peacocks. ("oooh, lookie here, im a dzogchen yogi, and you are nothing..."). the antics are endless, even more apparent when the big Guru comes a-calling to the centre to do the rounds. tantric novices. dont expect too much.

Its strange that both of you like Tsongkhapa.

Its strange that both of you like Tsongkhapa.

i take what i can from all sources, and cling to none.

I have been reading a lot of Buddhist forums and it seems like many of the internet Buddhists underestimate the importance of Bodhichitta, especially many of the Dzogchen practitioners. This is what the Dalai Lama said when he gave his own teachings on Dzogchen when giving a teaching on the Longchen Rabjam text 'Finding Comfort and Ease in Meditation on the Great Perfection'

"The fundamental reason we are able to attain omniscience lies in bodhichitta, which itself is rooted in compassion. If bodhichitta is present, the state of omniscience - and buddhahood- is possible; without it, buddhahood can never be attained. Everything then depends upon whether we have bodhichitta.

Our kind teacher Lord Buddha, on the basis of his own experience, taught that the principle training for us to follow is that of bodhichitta. We could think of the Basic Vehicle as a foundation or preliminary to bodhichitta and all the teachings on bodhichitta itself in the Mahayana as the main body of the path. This includes the six transcendent perfections, and it is within the practice of concentration and wisdom that the cycle of Vajrayana teachings and practices fall. They constitute a training in bodhichitta. So I feel that all the 84,000 teachings of the Buddha - the Basic Vehicle, Mahayana and Vajrayana- are rooted in bodhichitta."

- Mind in Comfort and Ease - Dalai Lama - pp153

Do you have any favorite practices for the development of bodhichitta?

Also: some practices may appear not to teach bodhichitta while in fact they are entirely focused upon it.

Neutrality and practices of non-judgement may seem to lie on the shelf of general practice and discipline - they are entirely practices of bodhichitta.

Edited by Spotless
  • Like 3

Do you have any favorite practices for the development of bodhichitta?

I used to do Tonglen but not so much any more. There is a similar practice I sometimes do where you use any suffering you are going through to generate compassion for all those going through the same thing and visualise taking on their suffering and giving them your merit. Before I do meditation it helps to take the perspective it is being done for others which helps avoid self fixation, but once it is somewhat familiar in your mindstream it is possible to apply that perspective to almost anything, which I think is the real practice. But I can't say I have developed it to a significant degree.

Also: some practices may appear not to teach bodhichitta while in fact they are entirely focused upon it.

Neutrality and practices of non-judgement may seem to lie on the shelf of general practice and discipline - they are entirely practices of bodhichitta.

Yes often it seems that just allowing things to be as they are is one of the most compassionate things you can do. Allow yourself to be as you are, allow others to be as they are, without arguing in your mind that things should be different.

• Like 1

Bodhicitta is the aspiration to achieve samyaksambuddhahood as fast as possible to benefit infinite sentient beings.

The infinite aspiration makes the Sambhogakaya be infinite. That's my understanding from "internet Buddhist" Namdrol on the internet forum Esangha.

• Like 1

Yes the infinite aspect is an important point, the regular thinking mind can't grasp infinite beings

The infinite aspiration makes the Sambhogakaya be infinite. That's my understanding from "internet Buddhist" Namdrol on the internet forum Esangha.

laxity is quite an issue when it comes to buddhist practice.

the cultivation and momentum gained from daily doing small things for others to increase their happiness cuts the root of this obstacle.

instead of trying to aim at the grand scheme of things, which, at the basis lies the true import of selflessness, aim to help others in whatever ways possible, and in time, selflessness will become a realization all on its own, spontaneously, without having to primarily fixate on 'finding' it.

It becomes a joyful experiential process, and one which is actually measurable. This is quite important because many of those who pay lip service to the absolute level (of cultivating bodhicitta) often have no clue what is actually happening in the real world, and this is echoed by the Dalai Lama oftentimes.

this is a more practical approach, one which the majority can easily access and bring to fruition.

im thinking whether there is really a point in getting bombastic over something which is often beyond the scope of daily practice.