Sign in to follow this  
deci belle

What is self-refinement?

It is the process of permanently eliminating the human mentality from its habituated pre-eminent corrupted function which has resulted in it's illusory identity as a self.

It is the effect of returning the human mentality's function to its proper state, which is its function of ratiosynchretic particularity at the service of selfless open awareness.

It is a most beneficial endeavor for people to aspire to.

• Like 3

Whenever the word 'selfless' comes in my view - in any article or print or teaching or learning - I immediately grasp that the source is to be discarded.

• Like 2

And why is that? Is it because you are habituated to interpreting the word "selfless" in the conventional sense relative to ego?

Try using the self-reflective intellect to insert the word impersonal every time you read the word selfless in these contexts.

Selfless just means not creating the basis for deluded views by seeing reality through your habitual self-biased perspective.

You don''t have to be nice or anything… aren't I living proof of that? haha!!

ed note: add everything after "Why is that?"

Edited by deci belle

It is the process of permanently eliminating the human mentality from its habituated pre-eminent corrupted function which has resulted in it's illusory identity as a self.

It is the effect of returning the human mentality's function to its proper state, which is its function of ratiosynchretic particularity at the service of selfless open awareness.

It is a most beneficial endeavor for people to aspire to.

'rationsynchretic particularity' is a very beguiling phrase which I would like very much to drop into conversations at every possible opportunity. However I lack the understanding to do this. Please explain this term.

'rationsynchretic particularity' is a very beguiling phrase which I would like very much to drop into conversations at every possible opportunity. However I lack the understanding to do this. Please explain this term.

hahah

"habituated pre-eminent corrupted function"

This phrase has a nice ring to it too.

self refinement is removing yourself from conditioning. Conditioning that the mind imposes on a person at each and every moment.

Will i spend my time in the kitchen thinking about my car, or take this moment of awareness to grasp the moment and cook with complete awareness.

Karma is the most beautiful sickness, depriving the wicked of there most valuable asset: the present moment.

• Like 3

IMO, Self-Refinement is cleaning your house ie....dusting, mopping, brooming, scrubbing the windows, throwing away all of the useless junk you've collected which is taking up space, going into all of the nooks, crannies and hidden corners and picking up the dirt and tossing it into the dumpster.

Self-Refinement is a form of physical, emotional, psychological and spiritual detoxification which allows your greatest qualities that you already from the beginning shine through.

My 2 cents, Peace

• Like 2

Ratiosynchretic seems to be a made up word, but I gather it would be to do with being particular in relation to the balance of yin and yang. Synchretic being something to do with the relationship between different or opposing things, and ratio relating to the balance of the two things but eluding to the idea that they don't have to be 50/50 to be balanced.

You could probably say "A function of balance which sits upon open awareness" but it's not nearly as descriptive.

• Like 1

Apech sez:

hahaha!! Busted!!

I just made it up, but I'll describe the expression if I can!

It is just the proper function of the human mentality stripped of its psychological baggage in terms of the operational intellectual aperatus tuned to effect organization and process (juggling) comparative time-based discrimination of particulars (characteristics of phenomena).

eh?

ya, it's pretty basic about self-refinement, from the responses. I could say it is arriving at the elimination of the human mentality from a position of domination to solidify its proper function at the service of one's impersonal aware nature.

Don Juan Matus described the work of living the warrior's life as sweeping one's tonal (the realm of one's rational awareness) so inconceivably spotlessly clean, one could take one's leave of the rational function whenever necessary and no one would be the wiser.

ed note: add last paragraph

Edited by deci belle

It is just the proper function

What makes it the proper function, or how is it the proper function?

Edited by Dagon

Don Juan Matus described the work of living the warrior's life as sweeping one's tonal (the realm of one's rational awareness) so inconceivably spotlessly clean, one could take one's leave of the rational function whenever necessary and no one would be the wiser.

Who is doing the sweeping?

:D

Edited by MooNiNite

Here is another great quote …Greatness is incomplete.

Who does the sweeping? Who does the asking?

Oh, I thought of another one~ Who is it that steps off the swept (ground)?

ed note: add last sentence

Edited by deci belle

... I could say it is arriving at the elimination of the human mentality from a position of domination to solidify its proper function at the service of one's impersonal aware nature.

There might be a blending of the bi-modal process where neither the impersonal/intuitive or the dividing/conceptual need dominate or subordinate but rather whichever is useful in the moment would naturally surface with the other still there (non-separate) in full support.

There might be a blending of the bi-modal process where neither the impersonal/intuitive or the dividing/conceptual need dominate or subordinate but rather whichever is useful in the moment would naturally surface with the other still there (non-separate) in full support.

Simple as that really.

• Like 2

In summing up his commentary on the lines of the 37th hexagram People in the Home, Liu I-ming wrote:

The writings of the masters say that if refinement of the self is immature, the restorative elixir will not crystalize. The first step of spiritual alchemy is to refine the self. When self refinement reaches selflessness, "light appears in the empty room" —the primal energy comes from nothingness and solidifies into a tiny pearl, whose light pervades heaven and earth. How can any bewilderment or befuddlement befall you then? Certainly refinement of the self is no small matter.

And yet there are those who have admitted to me that whenever they hear the word selfless, they must walk the other way. And there are those who "like" this sentiment.

Clearly, these people have reached a state of complete egohood which cannot even stand the thought of not-self. Evidently it is not to be trusted; whereas the fact that open sincerity as the basis of self-refinement completely eludes these people. Yet these same folks can go on and on talking about a concept such as "wu-wei", as if it were a rose. Ah, the joys of recreational philosophy…❤

For those who can and do gaze in wonder in the reality of non-being naturally so, realize with gratitude that you have been spared, or have audaciously worked through, a heavily-fueled karmic burden.

Ones such as these might occasionally flash that intangible gravitas called character, and then be resented for it.

Sign in to follow this