effilang

Everything is illusion.

Another illusion.

There is no "home". If there was, we're "home" already. That's all there is.

Here is your wake up call. :)

That comes across as a little glib to be honest ...

• Like 1

Another illusion.

There is no "home". If there was, we're "home" already. That's all there is.

Here is your wake up call. :)

Hehehe. When you get ready to join me in this beautiful reality that I am living in let me know and I will put you on the right path but you will have to do the walking.

Home is where the heart is. Somebody else said that before I did but I liked it so much I took it into my inner essence.

But more honestly, for me, home is wherever I am. If where I am doesn't feel like home I move.

And you! Giving me a wake-up call? You are still sleeping! Hehehe.

So wake up! Find yourself a home. Then you can live spontaneously like all good Taoists do.

You be well, Okay?

You know I had to mess with you - just the way I am.

• Like 2

No not all Taoists are scholarly professors, but at one time before you could learn Tai Chi or Qigong you had to first learn the basics of Lao Tzu and Chuang Tzu. Over time that diminished, especially when martial arts became about fighting rather than cultivation. Steve talked about this elsewhere, there are a whole lot of traditions and teachers that claim to be Taoist, that have no idea what Taoism actually is. Over the centuries these lineages have deviated so far from Taoism that what they represent today is a mere husk of what they originally were.

As far as Ch'an Buddhism, the vast majority of temples in the united states are Ch'an Buddhist. Ch'an Buddhism is the foundation of Zen Buddhism and Bodhidharma plays a very important role in Zen teachings. Ch'an is a bit more orthodox than Zen, but the methods of practice are quite similar.

Aaron

i do agree that is it highly desirable to be well versed in a philosophy--and that it is highly desirable to join the philosophy to a physical practice like tai chi chuan. so, i am agreeing with you that studying the ttc and practicing taiji together makes wonderful sense. personally i see even greater benefit from playing taiji or pa kua and studying the I Ching. from my experience it was when i went deeper into meditation and deeper into the I Ching when my taiji and pa kua became very different. i can even say that studying hegel has helped my taiji and pa kua. Taoism is not a collection of verses in a book.

marblehead, they have not had the benefit of seeing the sparkling twinkle in your eyes.

Hmmm ... I see a candle lit dinner for two in my scrying bowl.

marblehead, they have not had the benefit of seeing the sparkling twinkle in your eyes.

Apparently so. But you have. :)

Hehehe. When you get ready to join me in this beautiful reality that I am living in let me know and I will put you on the right path but you will have to do the walking.

Home is where the heart is. Somebody else said that before I did but I liked it so much I took it into my inner essence.

But more honestly, for me, home is wherever I am. If where I am doesn't feel like home I move.

Sure that's the first step. I hope I'll be there someday.

Wait, I like where I am now. Thanks for the invitation though.

I don't care about either I'm sleeping or I'm awake too much. If I enjoy my state of being, who cares how to name that state.

The next step is pure speculation on my part. "Wherever I'm, I make it home"

• Like 1

Taoism is not a collection of verses in a book.

True. We need to remember that words alone are not enough, sometimes it requires action. Too many people talk but do nothing. The fact that you're looking for ways to improve your practice is a sign that you're on the right track. IMO.

Aaron

• Like 1

I have noticed that people tend to find a truth that agrees with them and then guard it furiously.

The thing is that the a truth is like an onion. You peel one skin off and there is another one waiting for you.

The more you peel the stronger the smell of that truth becomes. Soon it will be so strong that it will make you weep.

Often the meaning of one peel can be completely different from it's prior, yet it is still the same truth, just a different depth at a different level of awareness.

Because of this many of us on here often end up arguing about what seems to be different things, but are actually the same, only at different levels of understanding.

I've been taught to always assume that there is more to "it" than there seems. It being anything you believe in.

This will help avoid attachment by the realization that your current state of understanding is not the highest and thus more work is required and much less celebration, if any at all.

The best you can do thus is to acknowledge your attainments, but to do so in a manner which neglects their relative significance.

The ripe rice plant bows it's head low. We must emulate it in order to facilitate the conditions required to keep our cup empty and the Tao pouring in without cessation. :wub:

Edited by effilang
  • Like 3

We are all like the waters in this painting.

Some of us are a small drizzle, others wide rivers and a few are but small drops here and there, trickling off the leaves in search of the ocean.

But we are all water, and sooner or later we shall all lead back into the great sea of our original nature.

1185016_155230488004725_1995092173_n.jpg

Edited by effilang
  • Like 2

The thing is that the a truth is like an onion. You peel one skin off and there is another one waiting for you.

The more you peel the stronger the smell of that truth becomes. Soon it will be so strong that it will make you weep : )

That is why i stick to "omniversiality"; it points out the infinite scope of truth without stinging the nose with that pungent odor.

• Like 1

Lovely picture. That is T'ang (Taoist) style. Somewhere in there is something of man but it is so insignificant that it would be difficult to see.

From what I have seen and read, nature is always the story in this style, not man.

Yes, three little houses at the lower right.

Edited by Marblehead
  • Like 3

We are all like the waters in this painting.

Some of us are a small drizzle, others wide rivers and a few are but small drops here and there, trickling off the leaves in search of the ocean.

But we are all water, and sooner or later we shall all lead back into the great sea of our original nature.

That is a gorgeous picture. Thank you for sharing, Effilang!

Lovely picture. That is T'ang (Taoist) style. Somewhere in there is something of man but it is so insignificant that it would be difficult to see.

From what I have seen and read, nature is always the story in this style, not man.

Yes, three little houses at the lower right.

I do enjoy the perspective of man being tiny within the whole.

Yet still within it. a part.

The scope and beauty of nature shown within pictures of that style always just take my breath away..

They usually give it back, too!

Peace.

• Like 1

... take my breath away..

They usually give it back, too!

Peace.

Yeah, we need to breathe. That's important.

• Like 1

Yeah, we need to breathe. That's important.

Illusions upon illusions!!

I can breathe without breathing!!

Oh wait...nope. Not yet.

Although, that is an interesting thought...if all things are not what they seem to be, then what is breathing in this topic?

What is the illusory nature of breathing?

I hope that is not off topic...straying too far.

Peace.

What is the illusory nature of breathing?

There is no illusion to breathing. Do it or die.

Now, there can be such a thing as forcing one's breathing. This is not good, IMO. Let the breathing happen spontaneously. The body knows what it needs. It will do the right thing. Trust it.

Edited by Marblehead
  • Like 1

There is no illusion to breathing. Do it or die.

Now, there can be such a thing as forcing one's breathing. This is not good, IMO. Let the breathing happen spontaneously. The body knows what it needs. It will do the right thing. Trust it.

I meant, is there more to breathing then we mostly experience?

The topic of the illusory nature of reality/ experience, how does that relate to breathing?

Is the prana/ qi in the breath a component? Then is the gross air breath the illusory nature?

Just thinking about other ways the illusions may help us "see" life in different ways.

If I put awareness into my breathing, it stabilizes by itself. Without force. You are right, MH, the body is very intelligent.

Peace.

There is something called full-body breathing. I have tried it a couple of times but I am no good at it. Probably takes tons of hours of practice for someone like me. I've got better things to do so I juyst let it happen naturally.

Yes, a lot of the things we do spontaneoulsly, if we were looking at ourself with someone else's eyes we would wonder why in the heck we are doing this and also why we have been doing it for so long.

Habits can be good or bad for us. I do try to avoid the bad ones but I do have a couple anyhow.

• Like 2

All of you people who do attack Buddhists,

I don't attack Buddhists. Never have. I am a Taoist. Buddhism and Taoism have different understandings of things so I discuss these differences with Buddhists. The concept of illusion is one of these differences. But we have a lot in common and I prefer to discuss these rather than the differences.

• Like 1

I don't attack Buddhists. Never have. I am a Taoist. Buddhism and Taoism have different understandings of things so I discuss these differences with Buddhists. The concept of illusion is one of these differences. But we have a lot in common and I prefer to discuss these rather than the differences.

The concept of illusion is potentially misleading and leads to a lot of misunderstanding. Without going into why I just thought I would make this statement.

• Like 2

<Bane Voice>

Theatricality and deception are powerful agents to the uninitiated... but we are initiated, aren't we Apech?

Members of the Bums of Tao!

</Bane Voice>

Edited by effilang
  • Like 2