effilang

Everything is illusion.

Too much philosophy and not enough spirituality...

Hopefully you are spending that free time in meditation : /

"Why are you polishing that mirror master?"

"So I can become enlightened."

"You can't become enlightened polishing a mirror."

"Yet you believe you can become enlightened by simply sitting? I am just as likely to become enlightened polishing this mirror as you are sitting."

There is more to enlightenment then simply meditating.

Aaron

• Like 2

There is more to enlightenment then simply meditating.

I guess in your philosophical books it doesn't explain that after enough meditation, you come to the realization that meditation is not a state of body but a state of mind and that it can be carried out while walking, sitting, laying down and even sleeping.

If you had no body, you could still meditate.

Once again, you are just showing how you hold on to the surface and avoid the essence.

Don't confuse meditation with the act of sitting...

Edited by effilang
  • Like 2

Hehehe. I'm not going to suggest that the wait might have something to do with freezing and hell.

For you if you're a bad boy. :)

I'll be enlighted and become the toast of the town. I'd intrinsiclly (I like big word though I can't spell it right) know the mystery of the world. Everything will be fine and dandy.

The enlightment is my savior. I'm waiting faithfully.

• Like 1

I guess in your philosophical books it doesn't explain that after enough meditation, you come to the realization that meditation is not a state of body but a state of mind and that it can be carried out while walking, sitting, laying down and even sleeping.

If you had no body, you could still meditate.

Once again, you are just showing how you hold on to the surface and avoid the essence.

Don't confuse meditation with the act of sitting...

I wouldn't worry. I spent twenty years meditating. I know what it is. Meditation doesn't make you spiritual, nor does it feed the hungry, clothe the naked, or care for the sick. It can be a very selfish act. Sometimes the answers aren't just within but without as well. Once a mirror is clean, there's no need to keep polishing.

Aaron

Edited by Aaron

If we're talking about the mirrors in my house, I always need to do a "touch up." That's why I keep paper towels and windex on hand at all times. :)

Hope you are well. _/\_

I am and you are right, sometimes a mirror does get dusty and you have to clean it again, but once it is clean, it's important to know when to stop.

Aaron

• Like 1

I wouldn't worry. I spent twenty years meditating. I know what it is. Meditation doesn't make you spiritual, nor does it feed the hungry, clothe the naked, or care for the sick.

Actually... it accomplishes all of the above.

But you've made it clear by the parable you used earlier, that meditation to you is just empty sitting.

And I agree. Through that type of "meditation" you will not achieve any of the above.

How do I know you practised empty sitting?

Because you did it for 20 years and just made the statement above...

Do it properly though and you'll see for yourself how you will heal the sick, clothe the naked and feed the hungry.

0zd3.jpg

Edited by effilang
  • Like 1

Lol people attacking meditation and saying that 20 years is enough to realize that it don't work. Oh I fear the virtue of those. While us people complaining about the 20-50 plus years of cultivation, there are living beings who spent 1,000 lifetimes cultivating. Who are you to complain? I wouldn't dare complain.

Who said it didn't work? Who said I was complaining. I just don't feel effilang is necessarily the best person to advise me on spiritual matters. Remember I'm not a Buddhist, meditation serves a different purpose for me. I'm not attempting to "see through the illusion" but rather use is as a method to maintain clarity of mind so that I can be at harmony with the world around me. Personally I think we should just drop this and move on, rather than point fingers at who is "enlightened" and who isn't.

As an aside, we are all enlightened, whether we're aware of it or not. As Lao Tzu said, "better look for it within you." He never said I had to push this idea on others.

Aaron

Actually... it accomplishes all of the above.

But you've made it clear by the parable you used earlier, that meditation to you is just empty sitting.

And I agree. Through that type of "meditation" you will not achieve any of the above.

How do I know you practised empty sitting?

Because you did it for 20 years and just made the statement above...

Do it properly though and you'll see for yourself how you will heal the sick, clothe the naked and feed the hungry.

0zd3.jpg

Hmm... so you're insinuating I'm a liar, that's fine. I'm okay with that, the truth is subjective, so every truth is lie and every lie is the truth to some degree. Second I thank you for your advice, but I have no desire to "embrace the colors" or "see through the illusion", believe it or not I have achieved a degree of awareness of reality and my experience is not even close to what you're talking about here. I don't feel the need to go into details about it, because it's not something that can be explained.

Those that know don't speak, those that speak don't know.

Aaron

edit- I'm not going to be a part of the whole Taoism vs. Buddhism thing or become involved in prolonged fight over who is right and who is wrong, so please feel free to spout whatever you want, I've said what I needed to.

BTW- Feel free to look up my post on silent mind meditation. I think I made it a couple years ago, it might help elucidate you on some of the finer points.

Edited by Aaron

Who said it didn't work? Who said I was complaining. I just don't feel effilang is necessarily the best person to advise me on spiritual matters. Remember I'm not a Buddhist, meditation serves a different purpose for me. I'm not attempting to "see through the illusion" but rather use is as a method to maintain clarity of mind so that I can be at harmony with the world around me. Personally I think we should just drop this and move on, rather than point fingers at who is "enlightened" and who isn't.

Those Buddhists, with their minds so unclear.

Whatever shall we do with them...

No Aaron, I'm not calling you a liar.

I am just pointing out that after 20 years of what you claim to be effective meditation, if you still claim you cannot heal the sick, clothe the poor and feed the hungry through the fruits of your meditation, then well... I don't know.

Maybe you meditated once a month for 20 years...

Edited by effilang

Those Buddhists, with their minds so unclear.

Whatever shall we do with them...

Well

No Aaron, I'm not calling you a liar.

I am just pointing out that after 20 years of what you claim to be effective meditation, if you still claim you cannot heal the sick, clothe the poor and feed the hungry through the fruits of your meditation, then well... I don't know.

Maybe you meditated once a month for 20 years...

I clothe the poor by giving the homeless clothes. I feed the hungry by donating time at the Gospel Mission, I am not a doctor, but I am more than happy to help fluff a pillow or offer some tylenol to someone with a fever. I am also willing to stop and listen when someone needs to talk. I volunteered over 40 hours to the recent Paddle in to Quinalt Pow Wow. I don't point this out for kudos or so people can say, what a nice guy you are, but rather to make the point that there is a BIG difference between coming to this forum talking about enlightenment, yet not practicing the foundation of it, which is compassion.

If anyone here wants to know the actual path to enlightenment, it's practicing compassion in your day to day life, which doesn't include insinuating people are lying or being snarky. Just my two cents.

Aaron

Edited by Aaron
  • Like 3

What a nice guy you are. :closedeyes:

You just don't get it, so I guess there's no point to continue.

Aaron

BTW- You've shown a great deal of spiritual maturity in your responses. I'm sure you're the best rolemodel for anyone who is looking for a teacher.

Edited by Aaron

Well.... maybe you and they and this thread could find some help over in the Buddhist Forum!

:lol:^_^:wub:

Hehehe. I'm surprised you would even make such a suggestion. No help there.

Well.... maybe you and they and this thread could find some help over in the Buddhist Forum!

:lol:^_^:wub:

You see the bickering is everywhere not just in Buddhist sub. :(

• Like 1

Well, I'm not taking things seriously. I have had too many years doing that. Now-a-days I talk with birds and butterflies.

• Like 2

970891_230182227136614_621318854_n.jpg

Ah! What a lovely picture.

It immediately reminded me of one of my favorite quotes from Camus. (I likely have already posted it here at TTB but I will do so again.)

Don't follow me as I wish not to lead. Don't walk in front of me as I wish not to follow. But if we are travelling the same path we can walk together for a while and just be friends.

I paraphrased that but however it is worded the thought is none-the-less beautiful, IMO.

(It is a perfect representation of my Anarchist inclination as well.)

• Like 4

970891_230182227136614_621318854_n.jpg

Another illusion.

There is no "home". If there was, we're "home" already. That's all there is.

Here is your wake up call. :)

• Like 1