By thoracic spine, are you referring to the tai chi "rounded back" adjustment? If it is so, then I noticed that when I'm more relaxed, the back rounds more (convex on the back-side, concave in the chest), and also when the back rounds more, the relaxation is greater.

One additional note regarding Bearded Dragon's point about the spine -- I noticed that tucking the tailbone (like sitting on a beach ball) seems to help with opening up the ming men point. So, standing in preparation form, with the kwa relaxed and the tailbone tucked slightly (crown point suspended, back rounded), causes (gradually at the beginning) energy to rise up the legs and into the ming men, and then it diffuses to the rest of the dai mai (belt) and into the LDT; eventually rising up the spine. Also, the crown point feels like there is a mini tornado spinning right above it.

After this is so, when doing a form (like push), a wave descends down the back leg, while simultaneously a wave ascends up the back leg, to the lower back through the spine, splits at the mid-back/mid-shoulder and splits into the two hands, out of the fingers.

I asked my teacher about this and he told me that as the practice progresses, the waves become so fast that you don't really feel the wave...it is instantaneous...

Actually, I'm mixing practices and comments, sorry - I was more referring to refining the MCO as it passes up the du mai.

The "pluck up the back" was also challenging for me though and I really "got it" after practicing 'hug the tree' for a while.

As was mentioned earlier though, this is a never ending exploration and refinement (like the MCO) - not a goal to finish and move on from.

Your teacher is right, fa jin comes when the wave reaches that critical point of being immediate, as long as it is combined with proper stance, posture, breathing, and timing.

Well at it, ones ears must be song too.

In the "Secret of the Golden Flower", it says to steady outer yin/yang with eyes and inner yin/yang with ears. I don't know exactly what it means.

However, I do a few routines of gether the sound near and far with my ears, and scan 360 degree in three directions.

Do you also work with sound inside your head?

There are interesting practices of listening with one ear, then the other.

Of moving that awareness from one ear to the other through the center of the brain.

Or trying to distinguish what each ear is hearing simultaneously and discriminatively.

And so forth...

Lots of interesting practices with sound.

I admit that I haven't spent much time with sound practices.

So much to do, so little time!

• Like 1

Do you also work with sound inside your head?

There are interesting practices of listening with one ear, then the other.

Of moving that awareness from one ear to the other through the center of the brain.

Or trying to distinguish what each ear is hearing simultaneously and discriminatively.

And so forth...

Lots of interesting practices with sound.

I admit that I haven't spent much time with sound practices.

So much to do, so little time!

yes. I do the same thing.

I do track the sound with my ear. I follow the cars in the street with my ears. If I'm in the "zone", I'd let the sound of the fast passing car "go" through my whole body. Depending on my situation, sometimes I behave like a tree flexing in the strong "wind" of sound. Sometimes I behave like transparent, and let the "car sound" go through and leave a ripple effect on my body. Sometimes, I become the car sound and disappear into far far distance.

I believe our body can convert the sound energy.

• Like 1

I believe our body can convert the sound energy.

It certainly does something.

IMO, sound is energy. It is a wavelength right? (off topic: i read a new article which revealed that researchers have found that sound also travels in spirals, Fibinacce). Voice testing in I Chuan instantly came to mind. I read that old master Wang(i ccan never spell the last name right, the man that created YI QUAN) could put entire groups of people to sleep or induce another type of reaction with his voice.

If your teacher has prescribed a method, I'd suggest that you avoid the temptation to look for short cuts from strangers on the web.

+100 in general though, not just this post :).

IMO, sound is energy. It is a wavelength right? (off topic: i read a new article which revealed that researchers have found that sound also travels in spirals, Fibinacce). Voice testing in I Chuan instantly came to mind. I read that old master Wang(i ccan never spell the last name right, the man that created YI QUAN) could put entire groups of people to sleep or induce another type of reaction with his voice.

Known as Boring Chuan Kung Fu :)

• Like 1