. Full routine in 8 videos. (sorry can't provide the name of the exact routine being performed. If someone knows please state it in your post, thanks.)

Hey Gerard thanx for the links !! I like master Wong's video's alot but he's Chen style isn't all that great.

For a beginner form people can google the 19 form by Chen Xiaowang.

The basic routines and the actual base of Chen taiji are the yi lu and er lu. They come in an old frame (laojia) and new frame (xinjia) version. The new frame is more complex with more coiling to teach advanced stuff.

Chen Xiaowang, Chen Zhenlei, Chen Xiaoxing, Wang Xi'an, Zhu Tiancai, Chen Yu, Chen Bing etc. are good examples of masters who represent this family style.

Kind regards !

Yang Style 24, advanced, viewed from the back side.

The movements are continuously and smooth flow with no hesitation. Edited by ChiDragon

Tim Cartmell's Sun Style Taiji DVD series is very very good. Not just copying form movements, but lots and lots of detail on structure, weight distribution etc etc.

• Like 2

Can one truly learn from videos, or is a live teacher absolutely necessary when starting out?

I made a thread here about starting tai chi classes. And while they are fun in the moment, I'm not sure I'm going to learn much to be able to do it on my own. I'll tell you why... the teacher is very nice, knowledgeable (as far as I being inexperienced can tell), patient, having a grandfatherly manner. However, I'm seeing that in 1/2 hour, I'm not picking up the movements. That's to be expected I suppose. Unfortunately by the next day or so, I can't remember the movements, and in the next session, we move on to something else. That is, there is no reinforcement of what I learned the previous week.

Is this to be expected, or is there something amiss? I really would like to learn but I'm not sure this is the way, unless I am missing something. In a video, you can keep backing up to watch a movement over and over again to follow along. It's not working that way in class. I can't ask the teacher to do a one-on-one with me when there are 4 or 5 other participants at different levels.

• Like 1

Got the wrong teacher man. Plus depends on class size. My class size is about 2-5 people. You'll always forget the movements until you go to many classes. I have bought one tai chi book but I learned that I learned better from my classes. Oh, I miss my classes so bad :( Edit: Oh wait just called my class and they were like oh still come in man! They were like you don't have to pay till next month. :D

I was afraid of that... having the wrong teacher. I know that being a nice person doesn't necessarily make for a good teacher. Like I said, I know it's to be expected I'll forget the movements unless they're being reinforced. But next Sunday, it will be different movements, which I'll forget next week, then the next Sunday... and so on.

So, do classes tend to move that quickly or is it because they are only once a week, and there's no time to keep reinforcing what you learned? This is the only class in the area. I stumbled on it only by accident, otherwise I'd have never known about it, not even through a local (on-line) yellow pages search. It's frustrating. Yoga classes are either too advanced and don't consider the beginner, are too expensive, few and far between, and/or have whacked out schedules... targeting the stay-at-homes.

Suggestions from anyone other than to keep looking? I might be able to do zhan zhuang following Master Lam Kam Chuen's videos. https://www.youtube.com/user/StandStillBeFit Or his book The Way of Energy. I like his presentation and personality (which seems to be my downfall :D).

You're right, I could look into that. My acupuncturist is also interested in talking to him about setting up some sessions, either private, or some arrangement. So that ball got rolling. That may be a possible route. I gave the teacher my friend's business card. I'll find out what comes of it.

• Like 1

Find a classmate to practice with?What you are describing is what I have experienced with weekly classes. When I learnt my partner learnt with me so we practiced together during the week (she could remember the moves better than I could)

It's very tricky at the beginning, can't learn everything at once, and it might feel like you are remembering nothing but you may be surprised.

I'd also ask the teacher what he recommends you practice between classes

• Like 1

Yep, that is what it is like being new. No worries, things will improve! If the form you are learning is also on youtube you can use that to help the memory thing. The most important thing I found is to practice the new movements you just learned, the bits you remember I mean, as soon as you get home, then at least once per day everyday until the next class.

Yes a teacher is absolutely necessary in the beginning IMO, less untraining of bad habits to do later! That is if the class size is small enough you get the odd correction from your teacher.

• Like 1

The most important thing I found is to practice the new movements you just learned, the bits you remember I mean, as soon as you get home, then at least once per day everyday until the next class.

Yes! Even if you practice it totally incorrectly that's actually a good thing. You have learnt something now you can correct it. Over time you will start to see more and more differences and learn how to correct them. Your teacher may like to sequentially run through the moves, giving people a general overview of the flow, and then add corrections for students who can absorb them. It's often easier to teach like this when you have very different levels in the one class than trying to get everyone to the same "level" in a part of the form.

Some people can learn by just following a form class once a week, but that can take a long time Sifu was always happy when we would try to show him what we had been practicing. I was happy when, after quite some time, he started to recognise what I was attempting to do :lol:

• Like 2

Thanks for the tips. I didn't go to the class yesterday, which was a mistake based only on being dissatisfied. But I did something to my back and neck (not exercise related), so I thought it would be best to not add insult to injury. I may very well go next week and keep at it. Now that I know there are two styles, wu which is what we're doing, and yang, I can find the videos or even a simple set of diagrams for the movements and practice. I have plenty of time on my hands to put something like that together for my own practice, then let the instructor correct me before they become bad habits.

I'd say just talk with your teacher and let him know what is troubling you. That is what he is there for afterall, to help you learn. Also I would trust what your teacher says over random strangers on the internet (myself included) ;).

• Like 1

My friend the acupuncturist who used to do tai chi said the same thing. He said I may be expecting too much of myself too soon. He jokingly said I'm not following Tao, but he was right... much truth is said in jest. Stick with it I will. ;)

• Like 1

I am currently learning the Wu 108 form from his videos. It's good stuff, I really like his style and flow.

My 2 cents, Peace