becomethepath

9 to 5, Escaping the Rat Race

ok, i found your dragon. most taobums are old and have arthritis. dragon will help them keep up with you talking fast.

Yeah, I just installed it and did the initial profile setup...I dont even know most of the buzz words yet. I am still typing right now, but you can use it to dictate directly into just about anything, and you can even record your voice with a digital voice recorder and then just upload the .mp3 to text while you go do something else...I know its been around for a while, but actually getting it and playing with it is so much fun.

Edited by Songtsan

The Millionaire Fastlane by MJ De Marco was a good read for me. Not that I intend on making millions but could be useful for some! I believe the first few chapters are free via the website too.

I don't have a problem with working, but I can't stand being around a bunch of miserable assholes all day.

what are the miserable assholes around you working on?

Ah Taoist libertarians! :-)

I handed in my resignation yesterday. Been kicked out of my appartment. I'm taking the little money I ahve totravel and find a temple to live in.

this is sad, man. if you don't watch it, life for you will head downhill from here on in.

I've had one foot in the rat race over the past few years. But, I'm out now and working on my own business (literally last few months).

You want to know how to get out (this is hit the dirt practical how to make $, not buddha)? Seriously. Things are way easier than it may seem. The key is 'right' information. If you have already been working in a field for a while you probably have a serious leg up and are in much better position than you think.

If you are:

-technically inclined

-business oriented

-independent thinker (ahem...all taobums)

then you are good to go.

Learn:

-web design

-any programming language...programmers are crazy in demand especially mobile

-SEO

-Google adwords

-graphic design

Learn 1 or 2 of these skills. Combine them. Synthesize them. Find a market. Do good research. Go live somewhere cheap (Asia) so you can bankroll yourself. Network. Build on your experience. Find opportunities in fields or areas you know already. Ok, so OP already has some skills!

Check out some of these sites:

nichepursuits.com

empireflippers.com

smartpassiveincome.com

blackhatworld.com

wickedfire.com

RESEARCH!#@@$#%

(I have nothing to do with any of these sites. I just use some of them as resources)

Seriously, there is so much opportunity to make money by leveraging the internet. Make a business plan. Make sure you have a good business model. Maybe reinvent the wheel, but you probably don't need to and there's probably somebody else already 50% done reinventing the wheel you want to reinvent anyways. I shit out a bazillion ideas every day and that's just in one small area (don't worry I clean up).

Anyways, what I'm saying is. Research. Research. Network. Research some more. Do something.

boom

this is sad, man. if you don't watch it, life for you will head downhill from here on in.

No dude this is awesome. Going to explore alternative communities in Europe. Lots of places you can go mediate and eat healthy food.

• Like 1

You guys might find this to be of interest...

https://www.youtube.com/user/CampaignNonJob

I discovered this myself the other day. I think I might jump aboard!

Ever since going to unviersity, I've learnt that a conventional career isn't for me. But I also see many people without "jobs" making money. Legally. This Youtube channel / community is right up my street. I can't remain a broke musician forever...but I can be a rich musician with time!

• Like 1

what are the miserable assholes around you working on?

I work in finance where a lot of the people only care about money, not the work they do. They're a bunch of miserable assholes.

A lot of managers around my company like this book:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_to_Great

Specifically something to consider is the "Hedgehog Concept", which is a combination of three things:

1. What is your passion? This will keep you going and you'll work longer and harder than anyone else.

2. What could you be the best at? The quality of material you produce is going to be better than anyone else's.

3. How are you going to monetize it? Pretty straight forward- what is going to drive revenue?

I see a lot of programs out there about starting your own business, working from home, working from anywhere in the world, working a 5 hour work week, gaining passive income, etc etc etc.

But if you can read between the lines of all of the hype, it basically comes down to the above concepts.

What can you produce that no one else can?

What will you be so passionate about producing that you will do it day in, day out, nights and weekends?

What is going to be so unique, so helpful, so entertaining, so WHATEVER, that people will give you their credit card for?

• Like 2

No dude this is awesome. Going to explore alternative communities in Europe. Lots of places you can go mediate and eat healthy food.

what do you use for money? if you were thrown out of your apartment, then you must have not paid the rent.

I work in finance where a lot of the people only care about money, not the work they do. They're a bunch of miserable assholes.

isn't caring about money part of the job? finance is a tough sector to be in. isn't this why they are a miserable lot?

what do you use for money? if you were thrown out of your apartment, then you must have not paid the rent.

no. she threatened call the police because i left the toilet seat up.

I'm going somewhere 8km away from nearest road. rainbow gathering of the family of light greece.

• Like 1

no. she threatened call the police because i left the toilet seat up.

:P

Check this out! It sounds promising! It is like a hive structure system of connecting talents in ladder systems of degrees of exposure.

http://nonjob.com/

Perhaps we'll see more of these things come around. I'm pretty sure of it.

Edited by Everything
  • Like 1

I guess there's two ways to escape the rat race- stop using money, or make money that doesn't involve you running through a rat maze every day!

• Like 1

I guess there's two ways to escape the rat race- stop using money, or make money that doesn't involve you running through a rat maze every day!

I've laways thought this too. A fair few do go "Into the wild" style and become self-sustainable. But I'm not convinced that's for me. I'd love to hear more suggestions on this though!

Check this out! It sounds promising! It is like a hive structure system of connecting talents in ladder systems of degrees of exposure.

http://nonjob.com/

Perhaps we'll see more of these things come around. I'm pretty sure of it.

Yeah we've just been talking about this guy earlier in the thread. I shall look into it properly as soon as I can!