Flolfolil

Aggressive Evangelical Atheism

When have Buddhists gone after Hindus? This is news to me.

I was anxious about making that post thinking that someone might ask for example. I recall about a year ago, maybe longer, in some industrial town the was some kind of conflict started where one or the other felt discriminated against and the other retaliated. When it was all over after the police had moved in there were somewhere around twenty people dead. Some from both the Buddhist and the Hindu populations.

Posted Today, 07:31 PM

manitou, on 30 May 2013 - 17:33, said:snapback.png

Do you think that an atheist would acknowledge that there is an order to things?

Yep. It is called Chaos.

cat, on 30 May 2013 - 19:58, said:snapback.png

Is Chaos just another word for Unconscious.

That could be a valid association, yes.

So if he unconscious is what atheists see as the order of things..

..then atheism has psychanalytical psychology as its belief system..

So an aetheist needs must know a lot about dream analysis, or remain in ignorance of the order of things?

I would love to agree that "Fundamentalist anything is bad", but where does it say that in the TTC?

where does it say in the TTC that the TTC is the only knowledge worth living by? it might, but i never got that out of it personally...

i wish this were true, but sadly a large portion of them are too busy insulting the faiths of others to ever work on their own personal development.

A quote from an atheist friend - "I don't need a god to tell me to live right"

so why do you need to hate on people that do?

Some murderous, hateful people believe in God, and some murderous hateful people don't. But I've yet to come across news of murderous hateful people who really get Manitou's "loving undercurrent." There's a hard won (I'm guessing) sweetness to that awareness I really respect.

Edited by liminal_luke

So if he unconscious is what atheists see as the order of things..

So an aetheist needs must know a lot about dream analysis, or remain in ignorance of the order of things?

Me thinks you are reading too much into what I said. Hehehe.

a root that is chaos is no root

I think that would NOT be a valid assessment. A root of chaos only indicates that the direction of the movement of chaos could not be predicted. Just like our planet. It required so many "just right" conditions for it to evolve in the way it did so that life was capable to begin. If we had no moon there would likely be no life here.

Over time it appears that there is order within the chaos because most of the changes take place over too long a period of time for them to be observable.

Right now I can't think of a single person I hate except for maybe the Boston Bomber.

Me thinks you are reading too much into what I said. Hehehe.

hehehe, just wondering if what you said had any meaning.

I am skydog

let it be known

Words have power

beautiful words

create

beauty

laughter, beauty and beauty

hehehe, just wondering if what you said had any meaning.

Hehehe. Most of what I say has very little meaning.

Hi Skydog,

Be aware though that beautiful words can tell some really nasty lies too.

But yes, words can help share love, compassion, and understanding as well.

I would love to agree that "Fundamentalist anything is bad", but where does it say that in the TTC?

where does it say in the TTC that the TTC is the only knowledge worth living by? it might, but i never got that out of it personally...

Funny neither did I. I'm sorry if you, or any one else, missed my attempt at sardonic wit, but I was attempting to lampoon the "Taoist" fundamentalism that I sometimes see here on the Tao Bums. I have actually seen that question posed in at least one post and sentiments that possess a rough equivalence to it expressed more often than I would care to.

Personally, I don't even refer to the Daodejing as the TTC, but that's just me.

Fundamentalist anything is bad. When we stop listening, conflict consumes. Also, I don't want to hear about how atheists have never committed atrocities. Stalin? Mao? Pol Pot? I'm not saying all atheists or all theists are good or evil. Fundamentalists though? More evil than not.

1. Maoism and Stalinism (and it is these names that ought to be forever branded with the gigantic crimes committed, and not "atheism") were not ideologies of mere non-theism. When you find a dictatorship based entirely on atheism, let me know.

2. Actually, Stalin spent 5 years studying at the Georgian Orthodox Tiflis Spiritual Seminary in Tbilisi. One can just as easily make an argument that it was the seminary that turned him into a homicidal maniac.

3. Anti-theism is not the same as atheism.

• Like 1

my main issue is that they don't seem to care about hurting others feelings. ;)

Did you survey all the atheists in the world? Or is your experience based on limited interactions with a handful of atheists? If so, how many? Did you get a diverse demographic sample with a moderate margin of error? What methodology did you use to compile the data?

i wish this were true, but sadly a large portion of them are too busy insulting the faiths of others to ever work on their own personal development.

How large is that "large portion"? Please cite your sources. I am not aware of any peer-reviewed studies that measure the percentage of atheists who insult other people's faiths. Please, enlighten me.

EDIT: And you still haven't answered my question. Name at least one current event where hundreds of thousands of atheist formed a mob and demanded to lynch religious bloggers. That just happened a few weeks ago, only it was Muslims who wanted to lynch atheist bloggers, not the other way around. Take your time. I'll wait.

Edited by Grigory
  • Like 1

A lot of you guys appear to mix the "strong" (or militant) atheism (which turns into anti-theism in the most extreme cases) and the "weak," non-militant atheism. At its essence, atheism is a-theism: a(bsence of religion)-theism. I'm an atheist. Hell, I've even written a book about it. I don't spend all my time thinking how much I don't believe in Yahweh, Allah, etc. I just don't care. (Call me "apatheist" if you want.)

Likewise, I neither believe in nor care about unicorns, Bigfoot and the Easter Bunny. Let's say you don't believe in leprechauns. (How many adults do, really?) Would you call yourself an aleprechaunist? Would it be okay for the Irish to demand your death because you're an evil, evil aleprechaunist and clearly want to destroy the Irish cultural legacy? Would it make sense for people to start threads about Aggressive Evangelical Aleprechaunism simply because a couple of immature people with nothing better to do occasionally troll the people who believe in leprechauns?

Yeah, I didn't think so.

Personally, I don't even refer to the Daodejing as the TTC, but that's just me.

I do and that's just me.

A lot of you guys appear to mix the "strong" (or militant) atheism (which turns into anti-theism in the most extreme cases) and the "weak," non-militant atheism. At its essence, atheism is a-theism: a(bsence of religion)-theism. I'm an atheist. Hell, I've even written a book about it. I don't spend all my time thinking how much I don't believe in Yahweh, Allah, etc. I just don't care. (Call me "apatheist" if you want.)

Likewise, I neither believe in nor care about unicorns, Bigfoot and the Easter Bunny. Let's say you don't believe in leprechauns. (How many adults do, really?) Would you call yourself an aleprechaunist? Would it be okay for the Irish to demand your death because you're an evil, evil aleprechaunist and clearly want to destroy the Irish cultural legacy? Would it make sense for people to start threads about Aggressive Evangelical Aleprechaunism simply because a couple of immature people with nothing better to do occasionally troll the people who believe in leprechauns?

Yeah, I didn't think so.

Good point, if you don't care about an issue strongly then you'll not adopt either a 'pro' or an 'anti' label.

Those Xtians mostly, do care as do the atheists.

Those guys kinda need each other.

That's Sweet in a way.

• Like 2

Funny neither did I. I'm sorry if you, or any one else, missed my attempt at sardonic wit, but I was attempting to lampoon the "Taoist" fundamentalism that I sometimes see here on the Tao Bums. I have actually seen that question posed in at least one post and sentiments that possess a rough equivalence to it expressed more often than I would care to.

hehe sorry, i make that joke all the time myself i just thought that YOU were one of those types :lol:

the methodology i used to get my findings was this:

it has been my experience with every single self-proclaimed atheist (as in, someone who took the effort to say they were atheist rather than just people who are) except for 2 that they have some form of hatred or disdain for theists

so around at least 100, so take that and you get 1/50 atheists that i have ever met were not dicks about it.

you wanted the math i gave it to you. But yes, i agree with your point that statements that generalize whole groups of people aren't the best way of getting a point across. my apologies :)

grigory, what you are doing here is getting defensive of atheists :D it is the same reaction that theists have. "But what they believe isn't what i believe, i am different!" i have to go through this almost every single time i meet someone who identifies as atheist.

now imagine you had to make this argument you are making at least once a week

Edited by Flolfolil

A quote from an atheist friend - "I don't need a god to tell me to live right"

We can't hate on people like you just described. We can't hate on anybody because we're all the same entity and connected one to another. The atheist is still living in dualism, as I see it. He is rejecting the fact that there is something 'out there' that he rejects. In actuality, he certainly doesn't need a god to live right.

As I see it, an atheist is close to being an enlightened being - he realizes that there is nothing 'out there', but he fails to realize that all explanation is within himself. That he is the center of his universe and as such, is the God of his own universe. I think to reject the notion of some entity floating around in the sky is a very healthy one, and the avowed atheist is still operating on the dual principle, although disavowing it.

The atheist merely needs to discover who he really is through inner work, should he ever become interested. Has nothing to do with religion of any kind.

Right now I can't think of a single person I hate except for maybe the Boston Bomber.

And yet you and he are One.... :o