Marblehead

Watching The Birds

For the last 4 years Arizona Woodpeckers have nested in a hole they created in one of my date palms. They were late returning to their house in the hole in the side of the tree this year. A pair of House Finches have taken up residence; watching these tiny birds deny entry to the woodpeckers has great entertainment in a David and Goliath sort of way.

The finches are diligent watchers, often times, but not always, 6 or more of them descend from their hiding spots in the palm fronds and a nearby fig tree to attack the poor, unsuspecting woodpecker who tries to peer into what was once his or her home. It is comical and sad, all at the same time.

• Like 6

LOL!

Edit to add:

One's loss is another's gain.

But is it a loss?

Loss of life or end of suffering?

Quite often both!

Edited by cold

I am sobbing uncontrollably as I read that --

Aww, I'm sorry.

There is no doubt the woodpeckers have found another home. I keep seeing them coming out of my neighbors saguaro cactus, but they still want to be in the palm. The cactus wrens are not very happy with the woodpeckers for taking over their home.

Bird Wars 2017 is in full effect in my neighborhood. The dove are the only ones who have returned to their nests un-invaded, that I have noticed.

• Like 4

I watched a blackbird of some sort (pretty far away) having at a turkey vulture today - as though she were shooing him away from her nest.   The vulture kept circling back and down toward the place on the tree.  Maybe there was a dead baby there?   I wouldn't think a turkey vulture would be interested in live young?  It seemed odd...

• Like 2

It is comical and sad, all at the same time.

The animal kingdom is also very cruel. For example, there is a YouTube video about a badger, mum fox and her kits. Set in Yellowstone NP. I don't know how they managed to film the whole event but its is very well done. A very sad story!

Kookaburra, the laughing bird. I find them not only highly intelligent but also a sort of little clown who enjoys to put on a show every now and then. I interact with them every day in the park where I train. Great company!

:)

Edited by Gerard
  • Like 2

I watched a blackbird of some sort (pretty far away) having at a turkey vulture today - as though she were shooing him away from her nest.   The vulture kept circling back and down toward the place on the tree.  Maybe there was a dead baby there?   I wouldn't think a turkey vulture would be interested in live young?  It seemed odd...

I wondered if they eat live prey, too.

Diet in the Wild

Carrion from the size of mice and snakes to the size of a horse; they will sometimes take young herons or ibis from their nests or may kill weak or dying animals.

http://curiodyssey.org/animals/our-animals/birds/turkey-vulture/?gclid=CM_TjNv4rdICFYqifgodqS4HrQ

I had not idea they...

• Like 3

Thanks, Karen - that may explain it.  A weak one or one dying in the nest.  Imminent carrion, as it were.

I am also delighted to see that I'm not the only one that poops on my legs.  :lol: 

• Like 2

The animal kingdom is also very cruel. For example, there is a YouTube video about a badger, mum fox and her kits. Set in Yellowstone NP. I don't know how they managed to film the whole event but its is very well done. A very sad story!Kookaburra, the laughing bird. I find them not only highly intelligent but also a sort of little clown who enjoys to put on a show every now and then. I interact with them every day in the park where I train. Great company!

:)

Hi Gerard,

We listen for the kookaburra,we don't hear them everyday.

But when you do hear them,you know rain is not far away.

Maybe the longer the repertoire and the more often repeated,the more the downpour.

More a weather announcement than a laugh.

• Like 5

Hello AT, there is plenty in the park where I go to, my real home :) They always come and say hello. They are used to a human doing something others don't do (meditate and circle walking). There's a lot more to the laughing I think than just announcing incoming rain. These are no ordinary birds, they are highly evolved 'souls.' They are also very shy until they get used to your presence in the natural world.

I find all birds highly sensitive to any changes in the environment, but really all of wildlife is. That's is their world: no work, no computers or cars, etc.

Regards :)

Edited by Gerard
  • Like 4

That's a hellova lot of birds.

But a real headache as a field guide....

I just listened to the kukkaburra's laugh - I'm afraid I'd be pretty paranoid if I heard that when I was meditating or circle walking.  What a great laugh.  and he throws his head back with wild abandon as he's doing it.  A truly evolved soul!

Edited by manitou
  • Like 3

In the third picture, if that's the pea hen at the left I would say that the pea cock has a serious problem and likely won't be getting any today.

• Like 1

Gallahs,unusual no cockatoos this morning.

I would have avoided them too.

Edited by Marblehead
  • Like 1

About thirty swans in the meadow, I always wonder about that. Normally swans are seen strictly as a pair or a family.

In spring they gather in large groups. 

But very nice to look at.

• Like 4

Probably just checking to see it they want to change partners.

grin...no, swans do not change partners, they're very unlike humans. Only young swans who lost there partner will sometimes get another mate. When they're older and become widowed, they will remain single

But I do  think the younger ones are courting, 

• Like 4

Hey,

What are the smaller birds? Sorry the photo is a bit blurry and can't identify them on my screen.

Edited by Gerard

Hey,

What are the smaller birds? Sorry the photo is a bit blurry and can't identify them on my screen.

Yeah get a bit of glare off the concrete.

Grey and pink=galah

Small sparrow looking birds are sparrows.

The white ones are cockatoos or ducks.

Edited by AussieTrees