Marblehead

Watching The Birds

No robins here, but the hummingbirds are back in full force since the temperatures have dropped some.

I love watching them zigging and zagging around, sipping from the feeder, Mexican petunias and hibiscus, chasing off others and laying claim to territory. There is more than enough to go around, but they want do not seem to care much about sharing. It makes for good morning coffee entertainment though! :lol:

• Like 3

our robins used to arrive in the spring. now many of them hang out thru-out the winter.

they are very comfortable around people

http://www.audubon.org/field-guide/bird/american-robin

well, even though the seasons here are not what they used to be, the( this?) robin still arrives in my garden when autumn starts. as far as I know they live in the small woodland nearby and migrate to the village when it gets colder. Even though they look different from the variety you see, they are indeed comfortable around people

• Like 1

Not many birds around here right now.  Still got the butterflies and dragon flies though.  Robins pass through my area twice a year but almost never hang around.  Probably not good feeding grounds for them here.

• Like 2

listening to the birds right now as i type. cardinals, robins, mockingbirds, and one amazing joyous sounding bird been at it all day.

have any of you seen that little creature looks half hummingbird half bumble bee?

• Like 3

never seen a creature that looks half bumblebee, half hummingbird, could you post a picture?

i do see ( and hear) large flocks of geese though, autumn indeed

IMG_3758%20copy.jpg

• Like 1

i do see ( and hear) large flocks of geese though, autumn indeed

Yeah, those pass through my area twice a year too.  Never see any on the ground though.

• Like 1

i will check on that BES. i have seen mention of a bee hummingbird, bumblebee hummingbird, and a type of moth that resembles a hummingbird. the one i saw was not a moth.

https://www.beautyofbirds.com/

also i will try and find an old post of an essay on hummingbirds (kinda) from 3 years back.

• Like 2

do these moths eat alongside hummingbirds? and as fast as a hummingbird?

if so, then maybe it was a moth.

learn something everyday, thanks

• Like 2

I have only ever seen one, it was pretty fast; there were no hummers around at the time.

• Like 1

Yeah, those pass through my area twice a year too.  Never see any on the ground though.

hundreds, maybe more than thousand of them on the meadow...

farmer is not happy, they eat the grass so there's less for the cows and cows do not like geese-shit in their meadow either. She's not allowed to shoot some of them, which would be very effective ( and give some meat for the pot). When you shoot two or three, the rest will not come back for about six weeks. But there is a heavy fine on that..

but she always has creative solutions, she sends the dog in the meadow  :D , this is a very well educated watchdog, barks only when there is something that he needs to warn the farmer for. but then this doggie hears: go in the meadow and chase those geese  :D

and then he runs, barking happily, and the whole flock takes wing, like this

dog then sits on its haunches, looking in amazement at what he has done.

Agrarisch%20natuurbeheer%20SNL%20header.

beauty!

• Like 7

listening to the birds right now as i type. cardinals, robins, mockingbirds, and one amazing joyous sounding bird been at it all day.

have any of you seen that little creature looks half hummingbird half bumble bee?

Yes!  What an odd critter.  And it is some sort of a moth - I couldn't believe it when I looked it up.  This thing can hover, and I think it can even fly backwards.  I just can't remember the name of the moth - unlike any 'moth' I've ever seen.  He has a proboscis that is decurved, just like a hummer, but fatter, if I recall.

• Like 4

Hummingbirdmoth.  I'm pretty sure that was what it was called.  Seriously.  If I were capable of nabbing some info on it elsewhere, I'd cut and paste to this thread - but my computer skills are legendary here, and I can't seem to do it...

Edited by manitou
  • Like 1

I dont take quite the same pleasure in the bird feeder as the kitties, but I find it pleasing and soothing nonetheless :lol:

• Like 1

A moment of total awe this morning.  I was in my car, I had a CD of the Dalai Lama chanting the Maha Mrityunjaya Mantra on, and suddenly a big flock of Canada geese flew slowly in a low V formation over the beautiful fall color of the trees.  It just doesn't get any better...

• Like 2

A moment of total awe this morning.  I was in my car, I had a CD of the Dalai Lama chanting the Maha Mrityunjaya Mantra on, and suddenly a big flock of Canada geese flew slowly in a low V formation over the beautiful fall color of the trees.  It just doesn't get any better...

They will likely be passing over my area shortly.

• Like 1

They will likely be passing over my area shortly.

'Our' way.  I'll be in Ocala in 2 weeks - yeehaw!  

What a nice fall this year, though.  Seems like the reds are redder than they've been in the past few years - and there is a lot of multiplicity of color on each tree for some reason - the same tree will have bright yellow and bright red at the same time.  Probably to do with the late summer temps, and then the sudden early morning temperature dives.  Seemed like the last few falls were, well, muted.  This year is a multicolor wonderland, at least in Ohio.

• Like 2

A neighbor had the ducks,she moved away and left the ducks behind.

The ducks were gifted to me but they move about as they please.

No the rooster does not duck the ducks,we'll never seen such a sight.

• Like 1

Yep.  Hard to see.  I finally saw it in the third picture then went back and found it in the other two.

From what I see, it has a good escape route so it had no reason for fear as long as you kept your distance from it.

• Like 1