Marblehead

Watching The Birds

They are finches ... the little guys in the bird bath

purple_finch_2.jpg

It was grotty so I emptied it ... but forgot to refill. yesterday they were making a racket and I went to see and ... oh, sorry.

I went in to get water and when I came out they are lined up on a low tree branch. I put some water in and thougth ' Okay I am going to stand right here. Didnt worry them! They went for it ... one flew straight over my head and flapped my hair with his wings ... would have parted it if it wasnt so bushy. I was watching them from so close, I squatted down. So fast, they are too ... funny little guys splashing like that.

I think it wouldnt take much to get them to land on me.

• Like 3

Yeah, mine enjoy their bird bath too. Some also enjoy taking sand baths when it hasn't reained for a few days. They kick away the mulch, scratch out a little hole and roll around in it.

Yeah, mine enjoy their bird bath too. Some also enjoy taking sand baths when it hasn't reained for a few days. They kick away the mulch, scratch out a little hole and roll around in it.

Here in Ohio they take dirt baths when water isn't around, lol.

• Like 1

So when a birdie bathes in sand or dirt, he only thinks he's getting clean.

As a birdie thinketh, so is he.....

So when a birdie bathes in sand or dirt, he only thinks he's getting clean.

As a birdie thinketh, so is he.....

Actually, the bird is removing parasites from its body when it takes a dirt/sand bath. It is more efficient than a water bath.

I've washed my hands in sand very effectively on many occasions...

Yep sand counts as water in Islam when there's no water about.

In the sand Sahara the Tuaregs 'wash' in sand before they pray.

Especially that fine silica sand that's been soaking in sunlight and pounded by waves for countless who knows how longs.....

it's bathing in crystals

• Like 2

Perhaps ,but I doubt My mother wouldnt have bought that 'bathing in crystals' as an accurate description.

Edited by Stosh
  • Like 3

Worth a try but mums always know.

Usually...

" But I already washed Mum!"

doesn't cut it.

:)

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 2

12 ? Sorry , I dont see the connection..

Does it imply Im a smartass much like I wouldve been at 12 ,,well thats probably true :)

Edited by Stosh
  • Like 1

No two grains of sand are the same apparently.

There's a lot of sand about.

One guy arrived in the Bardo to be informed that in order to learn patience he'd have to count and then classify each grain of sand on the Earth.

Time being relative in the Bardo he eventually came back and reported that he'd done the job.

" Well you're still not patient enough." mused the Bardo dispatcher " I'll have to find you something a little more exacting.

I know... Go back down to Earth and wait there until at least two Buddhabums on TTB agree with each other in a post."

That poor guy is still here.

Waiting.

Patiently.

:(

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 2

I was referring to picture number 12 being a close up of silica sand... makes me happy

Oh! Okay. Now I understand the meaning of 12.

• Like 1

No two grains of sand are the same apparently.

There's a lot of sand about.

One guy arrived in the Bardo to be informed that in order to learn patience he'd have to count and then classify each grain of sand on the Earth.

Time being relative in the Bardo he eventually came back and reported that he'd done the job.

" Well you're still not patient enough." mused the Bardo dispatcher " I'll have to find you something a little more exacting.

I know... Go back down to Earth and wait there until at least two Buddhabums on TTB agree with each other in a post."

That poor guy is still here.

Waiting.

Patiently.

:(

Oh ... I agree with you GP .

:) Its fun to release people from the plane of illusion .

But sometime when one releases a bird from its cage it soon returns to its cage as it is the only home it knows.

we have moved home and are blessed to have a wonderful variety of birds in our garden!

We have sparrows, seagulls, robins, pigeons, wood pigeons, blackbirds and more!!!

My favorites are the seagulls and sparrows! One bird, a crow, I have nicknamed Davros(leaders of the Daleks!)

My affinity with seagulls comes from my many months spent in hospital, one in particular became a regular visitor to my room on floor 8! In fact, we became friends!!!

I will post some photos soon.

• Like 3

Great that you have a fuller view of nature.

I am finally getting some butterflies visiting. They were late this year for whatever the reason.

• Like 1

We're knee deep in bees and hummingbird visits to our little balcony garden.

The other day, a rather adventurous red winged hummer took a brief tour of our dining room and kitchen.

The cats were napping.

• Like 2