GrandmasterP

Life. A Chinese fable.

You're on a boat, on a river, in a valley. Overhead between the cliffs you see a white horse jump the gap and then it's gone.

Astonishing!

But where has it gone? Why are you in the boat in the valley?

Where are you going? You don't know; you never will know. That's life. That's it.

The only thing for certain is you saw the horse for that brief second, and it changed the way you felt.

• Like 5

Yep. That's just the way life is.

Many things happen during our lifetime to change the way we feel, the way we view life. Most cannot be explained. That's the beauty of the Mystery.

• Like 1

But after the contemplation of your perceptive horse observation, the river abruptly enters the whitewater rapids! Some female wolf jumps in from the side and begins attacking you just before the waterfalls.

Life's a bitch and then you die!

• Like 2

Yes, we are navigating through life and things happen. There are words, sentences, chapters, the novel. Maybe novels within novels. But there is a story. We just have to see it. We are Playing within the Play.

Edited by taijistudent
  • Like 1

Hmnn, here's a question: Do we stay in the boat and go with the stream or get out of the boat and make our way? Maybe find find that horse?

• Like 2

But after the contemplation of your perceptive horse observation, the river abruptly enters the whitewater rapids! Some female wolf jumps in from the side and begins attacking you just before the waterfalls.

Life's a bitch and then you die!

Hehehe. Belly laughs. But if you believe in reincarnation maybe next time around you can be the wolf. You would still have to watch out for the waterfalls though.

• Like 1

Hmnn, here's a question: Do we stay in the boat and go with the stream or get out of the boat and make our way? Maybe find find that horse?

Yeah, if the boat isn't going where you want to go I would be hard pressed to find a reason to stay in it. Wu wei still doesn't mean "do nothing".

• Like 1

So the horse had gone! And, staring at the space left behind , I fail to notice that he has reappeared, next to my boat, and appear to be waiting for me! He makes a soft noise and I turn to see intelligent eyes resting on me, and realise the horse is a messenger full of heart and I must climb aboard and follow my destiny wherever he takes me. I leave my boat, and clamber on to this trusty steed. Luckily he has some biscuits in a little bag around his neck..... and a flask of tea! WHat Ho!

• Like 2

When I looked up and the horse leapt across the gap, a pile a manure dropped from on high and landed in my boat. So good for the roses. Mmmm I can smell them now.

• Like 1

So the horse had gone! And, staring at the space left behind , I fail to notice that he has reappeared, next to my boat, and appear to be waiting for me! He makes a soft noise and I turn to see intelligent eyes resting on me, and realise the horse is a messenger full of heart and I must climb aboard and follow my destiny wherever he takes me. I leave my boat, and clamber on to this trusty steed. Luckily he has some biscuits in a little bag around his neck..... and a flask of tea! WHat Ho!

And they lived happily ever after?

Thank you. This is my whole argument (in my own head) with the "be like water" philosophy. Water just exists and is manipulated by man. So are we to just accept that we are to be manipulated by others and moved about without a care in the world? Sure, I get that water can fight back in the way of a waterfall...hard hitting, bet again, this is just down to where the water has ended up...dropping with gravity.

I have been a firm follower of changing my own destiny for a while...but now as I'm getting older, it's getting tiring...and I have a voice in my head telling me to submit and just enjoy the ride....

• Like 1

...and I have a voice in my head telling me to submit and just enjoy the ride....

Enjoying the ride is one thing. Submission is a concept I don't talk about much.

Sure, we can enjoy the ride as long as the stream is flowing smoothly and we are in no danger. But what of the crocs? And the alligators? The waterfalls? Should we submit to being eaten or crushed at the bottom of the falls? I suggest not. Even resistance can be enjoyed. (Gotta' watch out for the resulting conflicts resulting from resistance though.)

• Like 1

I turn to my wife exclaiming "Did you see that!"

"See what dear?"

"Oh, nothing really" as I squeeze her hand and smile.

• Like 1

and now for something completely different.

and its nothing to do with any cats!

From English: Your All Encompassing Infinitesimal Omniversal Uniting Way
To Chinese Traditional: 團結的方式您包羅萬象無窮 Omniversal
Back to English: United way you catch infinite Omniversal
To Bulgarian: Съединените way, можете да се заразите безкраен Omniversal
Back to English: The United way, you catch endless Omniversal
To Catalan: La manera d'Estats, que captura sense fi Omniversal
Back to English: The United States, that endless Omniversal capture
To Danish: De Forenede Stater, at endeløse Omniversal fangst
Back to English: The United States, to endless Omniversal catch
To Arabic: الولايات المتحدة، التي لا نهاية لها أومنيفيرسال الصيد
Back to English: The United States, endless fishing aumniversal
To French: Aux États-Unis, pêche sans fin aumniversal
Back to English: In the United States, fishing without end aumniversal
To Chinese Simplified: 在美国,没有结束 aumniversal 捕鱼
Back to English: In the United States, not over aumniversal fish
To Estonian: Ameerika Ühendriikides, mitte üle aumniversal kala
Back to English: In the United States, not over aumniversal fish
To Finnish: Yhdysvalloissa yli aumniversal kaloja
Back to English: In the United States over aumniversal fish
To Czech: Ve Spojených státech nad aumniversal ryb
Back to English: In the United States over aumniversal fish
To German: In den Vereinigten Staaten über Aumniversal Fische
Back to English: In the United States of Aumniversal fish
To Hungarian: Az Egyesült Államok Aumniversal hal
Back to English: The United States Aumniversal fish
To Hebrew: הדגים Aumniversal ארצות הברית
Back to English: Fish Aumniversal United States
To Indonesian: Ikan Aumniversal Amerika Serikat
Back to English: Fish Aumniversal United States
To Haitian Creole: Aumniversal pwason nan Etazini
Back to English: Aumniversal fish United States
To Greek: Aumniversal ψάρια, Ηνωμένες Πολιτείες
Back to English: Aumniversal fish, United States
To Italian: Aumniversal pesce, Stati Uniti
Back to English: Aumniversal fish, United States
To Japanese: Aumniversal 魚は、アメリカ合衆国
Back to English: Aumniversal fish is one of the United States of America
To Lithuanian: Aumniversal žuvis yra viena iš Jungtinės Amerikos Valstijos
Back to English: Aumniversal fish is one of the United States
To Korean: Aumniversal 물고기는 미국 중 하나
To Latvian: Aumniversal zivis ir viens no Amerikas Savienotajām valstīm
To Polish: Aumniversal ryba jest w Stany Zjednoczone Ameryki
Back to English: Aumniversal fish is in the United States of America
To Norwegian: Aumniversal fisk er i de forente stater
Back to English: Aumniversal fish are in the United States
To Portuguese: Aumniversal peixes são nos Estados Unidos
To Romanian: Aumniversal de peşte sunt în Statele Unite ale Americii
Back to English: Aumniversal fish are in the United States of America
To Thai: Aumniversal ปลาอยู่ในสหรัฐอเมริกา
Back to English: Aumniversal fish in the United States
To Russian: Aumniversal рыбы в Соединенных Штатах Америки
Back to English: Aumniversal fish in the United States of America
To Slovak: Aumniversal ryba v Spojených štátoch amerických
Back to English: Aumniversal fish in the United States of America
To Slovenian: Aumniversal rib v Združene države Amerike
Back to English: Aumniversal fish in the United States
To Spanish: Pescado de aumniversal en los Estados Unidos
Back to English: Fish aumniversal in the United States
To Turkish: Balık aumniversal Amerika Birleşik Devletleri
Back to English: Fish aumniversal United States
To Ukranian: Риби aumniversal США
To Swedish: Fisk aumniversal USA
To Vietnamese: Cá aumniversal Hoa Kỳ

To Lithuanian: Aumniversal žuvis yra viena iš Jungtinės Amerikos Valstijos
To Korean: Aumniversal 물고기는 미국 중 하나
To Latvian: Aumniversal zivis ir viens no Amerikas Savienotajām valstīm
To Polish: Aumniversal ryba jest w Stany Zjednoczone Ameryki
Back to English: Aumniversal fish is in the United States of America
To Norwegian: Aumniversal fisk er i de forente stater
To Portuguese: Aumniversal peixes são nos Estados Unidos
To Romanian: Aumniversal de peşte sunt în Statele Unite ale Americii
Back to English: Aumniversal fish are in the United States of America

Edited by Northern Avid Judo Ant

All of those seem fine to me.

We become the boat-floating person without lamenting the way the stream flows.

We become the swimmer that goes his own way without protesting the strength of the current.

We become the horse-seeker who doesn't expect anything from the horse, not even finding it.

I just realized: That's what philosophical taoism is for me, right on.

• Like 1

watch out for them omniversal fish!

I caught one once when I was fishing many years ago but I threw it back in. It didn't look edible.

• Like 2

I just realized: That's what philosophical taoism is for me, right on.

I think you are on a good path. Lessening our desires includes, for me, lessening our expectations. (Of everything except myself. I'm a little hard on myself but that's just the way I am.)

I think you are on a good path. Lessening our desires includes, for me, lessening our expectations. (Of everything except myself. I'm a little hard on myself but that's just the way I am.)

Yes, I remind myself constantly "i am in charge of my emotions, in charge of my desires". This I believe, will lead to a life were I am able to grow and learn and suffer as little as possible, i don't want to reach perfection or enlightment or anthing like that, not because it doesn't interest me, but because I am Human and I've come to terms with this state of imperfect perfection. Wether I can "attain tao" or not is not something I devote myself to.

I realize I am experiencing life and that I can discover my potential. I am many things today I don't have to be. how much can I let go to become purely human and not some mental image?

“What is it, what nameless, inscrutable, unearthly thing is it; what cozening, hidden lord and master, and cruel, remorseless emperor commands me; that against all natural loving and longings, I so keep pushing, and crowding, and jamming myself on all the time; recklessly making me ready to do what in my own proper, natural heart, I durst not so much as dare?”

Herman Melville, Moby-Dick

Enjoying the ride is one thing. Submission is a concept I don't talk about much.

Sure, we can enjoy the ride as long as the stream is flowing smoothly and we are in no danger. But what of the crocs? And the alligators? The waterfalls? Should we submit to being eaten or crushed at the bottom of the falls? I suggest not. Even resistance can be enjoyed. (Gotta' watch out for the resulting conflicts resulting from resistance though.)

True, I hear that...and that's why I practice a martial art...but there is still that voice questioning that. I mean, it's not as if water avoids the croc drinking it, for example. We are all a part of a predatory food chain of some sort (even as humans of course with hierarchy) and if we are naturally weaker, isn't it just our nature to submit? Otherwise we'd all be struggling to get to the top...

Or perhaps I should shut that voice the hell up and just carry on fightin' :P

I realize I am experiencing life and that I can discover my potential. I am many things today I don't have to be. how much can I let go to become purely human and not some mental image?

Hmmm....maybe my expectations of myself are higher than my actual potential. This is a certain thing I must contemplate in regard to what I wrote above. Great thread guys!

Hmmm....maybe my expectations of myself are higher than my actual potential.

lol, no man, not at all! Letting go of one's expectations is sure to guarantee that you'll not suffer when they're not met, and that you'll be more efficient in what you're doing.

You're a musician, right? If you expect to play guitar like Hendrix or sing like Pavarotti you're bound to be dissapointed even in your own progress. if anything you should expect to play like yourself, to sing like yourself, to be as good as you can be and to never stop getting better.

• Like 2

Or perhaps I should shut that voice the hell up and just carry on fightin' :P

Hehehe. We don't have to fight except as a last resort. I am sure you know that, it should be a part of your training.

• Like 1