Harmonious Emptiness

Descriptions and explanations of "The Now"

If define NOW as the instant of unfabricated freshness (ma bcos shes pa skad cig ma), then thats correct.

If you define NOW as mindfulness then thats wrong.

Edited by alwayson

You got unfabricated NOW on one hand.

And you got the conceptualizing mind on the other.

I'm not sure about that but I know what time it is. And there is no place on my clock that indicates "Now".

Edited by Marblehead

There is no Now, Present, or Instant in time. Sentient consciousness, that is, hearing, seeing, tasting, touching, smelling and thinking cannot perceive the Now, Present, or Instant, because sentient consciousness, which itself arise through time, can only perceive the motion of time.

May all sentient beings be liberated from their sentience, and perceive the Tao.

"the ego is a monkey catapulting through the jungle; totally fascinated by the realm of the senses....if anyone threaten it, it actually fears for its life. Let this monkey go. Let the senses go.....the only way to understand [the Tao] is to directly experience it." Lao Tzu

It is not so much that the "now" does not exist, but our perception thereof is not in synch with the moment of now until after it has already passed. we are no less exposed to "the now", we only lag a little, that's all! :D

Edit:

Experiencing "the now "in the now"" would be akin to "reading a program "within the program"...

Do you REALLY want to sit there and filter through hundreds of billions of ones and zeros until their equation paints the picture of the so precious "now" you seek? BY the time you finally DO "get" the "now-picture" it will have had passed long ago in fluid-time.

Damn lag-kills!

or

Damn, lag kills!

Edited by Northern Avid Judo Ant
  • Like 1

I'd add that Tolle is very anti-think. He constantly repeats the theme 'Thinking' is the enemy. I feel he over stresses the point. A quiet mind is the best mind, but imo thinking is a tool to valuable to throw out.

I know,...it's bizarre,...the guy says many right-on things, and then turns around and contradicts them, usually by adding some theistic belief, which is 100% dishonest thinking..

As for me, would certainly not advocate throwing thinking out,...but to bring more light, love, and honesty in,...so that thinking can be guided by a consciousness not attached to sentience.

I don't grasp how happy a clam is,...however for me, happiness is a consequence of seeing things as they are. On the other hand, most find happiness through diversions and distractions within a world not seen as it is.

"There is no such thing as time.. Just this minute, and I'm in it". (Joyce Grenfell).

If that were true, that there is no such thing as time,...then there would be no such thing as a minute to be in.

It is not so much that the "now" does not exist, but our perception thereof is not in synch with the moment of now until after it has already passed. we are no less exposed to "the now", we only lag a little, that's all! :D

Edit:

Experiencing "the now "in the now"" would be akin to "reading a program "within the program"...

Do you REALLY want to sit there and filter through hundreds of billions of ones and zeros until their equation paints the picture of the so precious "now" you seek? BY the time you finally DO "get" the "now-picture" it will have had passed long ago in fluid-time.

The Now is not a program within a program,...there are no programs in the Now. And,...I don't seek the Now,...seeking is a delusional activity arising from the not Now, to believe it is in the Now.

• Like 1

It is not past and/or future

It is always now.

That is like the best process to uncover the Now,...by being able to recognize what is not the Now,...that is, the past, and expectation for a future.

For most, like thelerner above, the perceived now is perfectly satisfactory,...such a delusion even contributes to their perception of happiness. "Truth lies in the depth, where few are willing to search for it." Goethe

Most,...perhaps 99.6%,...have no interest in truth,...they merely desire dependable descriptions of an objective world that they consider intelligible. Doesn't matter that the object-ive world is an illusion.

Those who are uninterested in the absolute Now, have no genuine interest in the Tao.

Interestingly playing taiji has been compared to a long river.

So moving in /on this river, with the river, we are in the now.

The river is always changing as is the now.

We are always in the river, moving with the river - it cannot be otherwise.

The trick is to become aware of this - being present in the moment.

As all you card carrying Taoists know the only constant is change.

Now is for a moment and yet it is always now

That is like the best process to uncover the Now,...by being able to recognize what is not the Now,...that is, the past, and expectation for a future.

For most, like thelerner above, the perceived now is perfectly satisfactory,...such a delusion even contributes to their perception of happiness. "Truth lies in the depth, where few are willing to search for it." Goethe

Most,...perhaps 99.6%,...have no interest in truth,...they merely desire dependable descriptions of an objective world that they consider intelligible. Doesn't matter that the object-ive world is an illusion.

Those who are uninterested in the absolute Now, have no genuine interest in the Tao.

Ach, you make simple things complicated, then surround them with rules, statistics (99.6% So-oo precise it must be true :) ) and elitism. Its not easy being in the Now at all times, but I think most of hit it momentarily pretty often. When we do something we love, are fascinated, very happy we're in the Now. I'd add in certain bright states of meditation too.

Edited by thelerner

Thinking, analysing and trying to be in the now is the opposite of it.

• Like 1

Ach, you make simple things complicated, then surround them with rules, statistics (99.6% So-oo precise it must be true :) ) and elitism. Its not easy being in the Now at all times, but I think most of hit it momentarily pretty often. When we do something we love, are fascinated, very happy we're in the Now. I'd add in certain bright states of meditation too.

Numerous folks, from interpretations of the Hopi Prophesy, to GI Gurdjieff, to Greg Braden have used the 99.6% figure. Of those (the 99.6%), those stuck in the Conspiracy of Mediocrity would cry elitism.

It's actually MUCH easier being aware of the Now, then the struggle of holding to a reality that isn't real.

Edited by Vmarco

Thinking, analysing and trying to be in the now is the opposite of it.

I certainly agree,..."Thinking, analysing and trying to be in the now is the opposite of it."

That would be like saying that the opposite of love is hate.

• Like 1

the uncertainty principle

I'm not ready to accept that one yet. Still too many questions in my mind that they have not yet addressed.

the uncertainty principle

I'm not ready to accept that one yet. Still too many questions in my mind that they have not yet addressed.

Do you mean,...you have yet to hold a thought long enough to see it?

Do you mean,...you have yet to hold a thought long enough to see it?

Hehehe. I deserved that, didn't I?

But no, that's not what I meant. What I meant is that they, the QM people still hae a lot of work to do as far as I am concerned.