Imperial

Blindfolds for meditation?

Do you guys think it is a good idea to wear blindfolds when meditating? It's very distracting to keep your eyes from opening while it's closed! D:

If it helps you develop a regular practice, why not?

I assume you'll have a goal of improving your focus and concentration, and over time the blindfold will be unneeded.

I found blindfolds, mindfold, etc to be somewhat problematic. You basically trade off one form of stimuli for another - the facial, trigeminal nerves are very sensitive, so while on one hand you calm the optic, on the other you excite other CNs. Net gain...marginal at best. Learn to focus the spirit at the seat of awareness, tackle it at the root instead of trying to modify stimuli.

• Like 2

Yes, wearing a blindfold helps you relax the muscles on your eyelids so you can concentrate. :D

It seems to me that was lack of self confidence in self discipline.... :(

Well... the mahayana sutras teach to meditate with your eyes 1/3 open. So, do the Golden Flower manual.

It seems to be a good idea to meditate with the eyes open.

Yes....You are right about that.

If meditation was done correctly with breathing as a requirement, then everything will be fine.

I think it's about time for people to be wise and keep in mind that breathing is a must in meditation.

Edited by ChiDragon

Meditation is to train the mind rather than the eyes.

It seems that meditation with eyes open is useful for detaching oneself from the eye-consciousness... in other words, to transform even the eye-consciousness trough meditation: it's like training vs. atrophy.

I can't speak from experience because it's a recent thing for me.

It makes sense.

Yeah it's so essential that the Buddha taught his son anapana to reach enlightenment. People don't realized how important it is and how to use the breath to feel out the insides and start to make it streamlike.

Without breathing, your eyes will give you trouble but if you focus is on the breath, you won't care about them.

EXACTLY......... :)

Edited by ChiDragon

It seems that meditation with eyes open is useful for detaching oneself from the eye-consciousness... in other words, to transform even the eye-consciousness trough meditation: it's like training vs. atrophy.

I can't speak from experience because it's a recent thing for me.

It makes sense.

Except my understanding (admittedly not experience) is there is energy lost through the eyes when open... similar to the huiyin area losing energy if it is not 'locked' at appropriate times... as opposed to eye gazing where one is acquiring energy through the eyes.

• Like 1

Do you guys think it is a good idea to wear blindfolds when meditating? It's very distracting to keep your eyes from opening while it's closed! D:

I personally have no need to do that but if it helps you then do it. What works today for you may not be needed next year...

Maybe you need to do some sort of purging relaxation before meditating to get the energy out of your head/eyes and down and out your feet. Become a melting snowman till your a pool of water which then evaporates.

gee, I've learned many different Taoist meditations, some specifically say to close the eyes, some say specifically to have the eyes partially or fully opened. Within the tradition I study there are both closed eye meditations and open eye meditations.

I don't use an eyeshade when I do closed-eye meditation, but I use one to get deeper sleep at night.

I think of an eyeshade as being like training wheels. At first you are learning to develop focus and concentration, if an eyeshade helps, go for it. What I'd guess is that as you develop your ability you will reach a point where you won't need it.

Just close your eyes, then you don't have to think that you need to open, close, half open or quarter open them. By the time you think where your eyelashes are, you will loose your mind. Thus it will defeat the purpose of meditation. Just don't think of anything at all. Period.

I have this http://www.mindfold.com/ as you don't have anything touching your eyelids. Was ocasionally usefull (more comfortable than cheap travel masks) but I have not used for a few years.