Marius Tudor

Religion

oh well if Stephen H. said it it must be correct.

Hehehe. Well, if I can't stimulate a thought or discussion I have no business being here.

Okay, I'm all caught up on the reading. I will remain silent for a little as my last comment took this thread too far off topic and I think the topic is well worth discussing by those who wish to discuss religions.

Edited by Marblehead

Think of it this way why bring into the religion thread the non-religion topic... would someone be in a religion thread if they did not want to talk about religion?

Look at my editted post.

A thoughts experiments:

How do one think the two differs?

And what similarities do they have?

"Science" and "Religion"

Both are based on what one believes to be... the first denies this fact the second recognizes it.

More lack of logic.

That is not true. The goal of science is to define the manifest universe. It has no goal of proving that gods do not exist. It should have no goals of proving that gods exist although there have been many silly attempts to do this.

Your original statement is not true because science has nothing to do with beliefs. It has to do with verifiable facts. Earth really does go around the sun and not the other way as religion insisted for so many hundreds of years.

However, there really is no incompatibility between science and religion because they deal with different aspects of humankind's life. Science teaches one how to drive a car and religion teaches one how they should interact with themself and others.

Beliefs are exactly what they are - beliefs. One does not need proof in order to hold to a belief. But, one needs proof in order to state a scientific fact.

• Like 1

Both are methods to arrive at what is true

science is about the objectively true

faith is about believing the subjectively true

religion and applied science are about making it stick

(roughly speaking)

and although they tread on each others toes at times

there is no real innate conflict they need define.

Stosh

The original statement is true...

"Science" and "Religion" are based on what 'they' believes to be... the first denies this fact the second recognizes it.

Scientists have beliefs. They believe in Dark Energy and Dark Matter but they have not yet proven either to actually exist based on the scientific method.

There are scientists who believe in String Theory but there is no prove of it.

There are scientific hypotheses - these are beliefs. No proof yet to prove their reality.

Hehehe. Well, if I can't stimulate a thought or discussion I have no business being here.

Okay, I'm all caught up on the reading. I will remain silent for a little as my last comment took this thread too far off topic and I think the topic is well worth discussing by those who wish to discuss religions.

Hey, if you can't stimulate a discussion and don't have business here, then you must be a bringer of peace! I totally dig that! :lol:

Edited by Everything

Earth really does go around the sun...

Do you really believe that? :lol:

I'm just kidding, I just want to add that in dreams we can lift the sun and drop it. Thats dreams though. I can't seem to do it here for some appearant reason :/

Edited by Everything

Hey, if you can't stimulate a discussion and don't have business here, then you must be a bringer of peace! I totally dig that! :lol:

Even though it may not always appear to be that way, it really is a covert goal of mine.

Do you really believe that? :lol:

I'm just kidding, I just want to add that in dreams we can lift the sun and drop it. Thats dreams though. I can't seem to do it here for some appearant reason :/

Yes, dreams are wonderful things, aren't they? (Actually, they can be really ugly sometimes when we are not at peace with our Self. Been there, done that.)

Actually they both tumble and spiral through space...

Yes ET, our star (the sun) rotates and circles around our galaxy.

Edit to add:

But then, here again we are talking about science and not religion.

And I do agree with what Stosh said above in that both science and religion try to explain life to us.

Edited by Marblehead

The original statement is true...

"Science" and "Religion" are based on what 'they' believes to be... the first denies this fact the second recognizes it.

Science believes 'the demonstrable facts' are required to know the truth ... without recognizing its beliefs

Religion believes the truth independent of not having demonstrable facts... while recognizing its beliefs

In a way science denies God's existence until proven where as Religion acknowledges God's existence until disproven... now considering that neither one can definitely prove or disprove it its evident that the dispute may well go on for quite a time...

Oh that one can state a scientific fact without providing proof... should be quite evident...

That religion doesnt use facts , it both true and false IMHO

it just doesnt use the facts that science does and the person who tries to prove the validity of faith with objective facts is a confused fool ,, the same goes scientists that try to prove the validity of objective fact with spiritual insight

As Religious Taoists have shown me , on begins by inspecting ones own subjective sphere to gather subjective data and arrive at conclusions ,,these are what 'facts' are like in the subjective realm ,, they are the testimony of personal experience.

No someone cant verify- create scientific fact without proof . Before proof there is hypothesis and data.

An individual can talk about things they dont know thoroughly , but thats true about anything

Science doesnt claim to be able to explain eveything completely , I will say this one more time for the thick headed who may drift by,,, IT IS A FRIG__ PROCESS!

Have a nice mornin folks :)

Stosh

No ET Science is not the atheists religion

Read my mouth, atheism just means one doesnt believe in a deity -god or gods !

Science it a method regarding objectively verifiable truth.

And its perfectly possible to have atheist religion

Sometimes Taoists have gods sometimes they dont.

Stosh

Edited by Stosh