Humble

TBI and Tao ?

Long story short, I have brain damage from impact almost two years ago. I have a history of concussions as well. Unfortunately, my recovery is slow. Its freaking miserable and has devastated just about all of my life. Western medicine has been unable to aid me significantly. I have had some success in pain control with meditation but I cant meditate 24/7.

Does anyone know of any techniquest to aid in healing neck and brain injuries? Or at least find some way to find peace with this?

Any help is appreciated.

Brain cells are composed almost entirely of Lecithin which exists to varying degrees in food. You can buy lecithin granules or capsules, though the granules are easier find as organic and pesticide free. Eat them with yogurt or put them in a drink or smoothie.

I take lecithin sometimes when getting a bit of arthritis from from playing guitar and typing too much since Lecithin also is used to create the padding in joints, and basically every cell in the body.

It is known to be very good for memory and mental fortitude and I find I do feel a bit more able to hold more information and work things out when I'm on a phase of taking it.

Pretty much any cell repair, especially for joints and brain health, is helped by Lecithin.

Take it before you eat and it even helps the liver to process food.

It will work better with a good balance of vitamins and minerals. I'll have to check my resources for which exactly but I think calcium was one of the supports for its function.

Vitamin C is also extremely helpful for tissue repair.

The surrounding gel or whatever its called that protects the brain is likely also largely made up of Lecithin though I can't say for sure. Likely water too which would of course be helpful. I'm sure the fact that dehydration is the main source of headaches has some significance to helping it all, as well as just to helping to distribute nutrients.

Edited by Harmonious Emptiness

Acupuncture.

Maybe -- find a good Healer.

Where do you live at? USA?

Yes. Northern California. There's a few Reiki people around here I've been considering seeing if I get the scratch for it, but as of yet,,,not so much.

i'm in Northern California. Sacramento. if you can make it here, i'd be happy to work with you & see what we can do. you can pay whatever you can afford. i'm not too hung up on money.

send me a PM if you're interested.

• Like 1

Maybe look at the Bruce Frantzis dissolving method, he had back and neck issues and other health problems from a number of car crashes which he helped resolve with his meditation and Taoist practices.

i'm in Northern California. Sacramento. if you can make it here, i'd be happy to work with you & see what we can do. you can pay whatever you can afford. i'm not too hung up on money.

send me a PM if you're interested.

Will do! Thank you!

Maybe look at the Bruce Frantzis dissolving method, he had back and neck issues and other health problems from a number of car crashes which he helped resolve with his meditation and Taoist practices.

Thank you! Is there a particular book I should look up or just spin the wheel at google?

Thank you! Is there a particular book I should look up or just spin the wheel at google?

'Opening the Energy Gates of your body' is a good place to start, his meditation books are good too like 'The Tao of Letting Go', he has a fair bit on his website also.

'Opening the Energy Gates of your body' is a good place to start, his meditation books are good too like 'The Tao of Letting Go', he has a fair bit on his website also.

Much appreciated! Thank you!

Hi Humble,
Mike Adams at NaturalNews.com wrote this in February 19 2010:
"Amino acids shown to be effective at treating brain injuries"
The link is broken, but I copied the article. Maybe this will give you some leads. Also I'm pretty sure I read that progesterone and magnesium are nutrients that help after brain injury from stroke (maybe not quite the same as TBI...)
Good luck!
cheya

"(NaturalNews) Researchers from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia have found in a lab study that amino acids are highly effective at restoring cognitive function and balancing neurochemical levels in those who have undergone brain trauma. Conducted on mice who had been inflicted with traumatic brain damage, the study holds promising potential for humans with similar injuries.

The study appeared in the online journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. In it, researchers fed brain-injured mice leucine, isoleucine, and valine, three branched chain amino acids (BCAAs) that have been shown to heal severe brain injuries. The result was that the brain-injured mice demonstrated a full cognitive recovery, visibly responding the same as uninjured mice following their treatment.

The BCAAs used in the study are the precursors to two important neurotransmitters, glutamate and gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA) which jointly balance proper brain activity. Damage to the hippocampus, the portion of the brain that sustains memory and higher learning, is typical during a traumatic brain injury (TBI) and results in reduced BCAA levels. Supplementation with BCAAs has proven to rejuvenate the brain and restore it to normal function.

Intravenous nourishment with BCAAs has been done before, however in this study the BCAA mixture was added to the mice's drinking water. Dr. Akiva Cohen, Ph.D. and author of the study, recommends dietary supplementation with BCAAs for human TBI treatment. He believes oral rather than intravenous supplementation is preferable because, rather than flood the brain with too high a dose intravenously, drinking BCAAs will provide a more sustained dose with increased benefits."

Hi Humble,

Mike Adams at NaturalNews.com wrote this in February 19 2010:

"Amino acids shown to be effective at treating brain injuries"

The link is broken, but I copied the article. Maybe this will give you some leads. Also I'm pretty sure I read that progesterone and magnesium are nutrients that help after brain injury from stroke (maybe not quite the same as TBI...)

Good luck!

Adeha

"(NaturalNews) Researchers from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia have found in a lab study that amino acids are highly effective at restoring cognitive function and balancing neurochemical levels in those who have undergone brain trauma. Conducted on mice who had been inflicted with traumatic brain damage, the study holds promising potential for humans with similar injuries.

The study appeared in the online journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. In it, researchers fed brain-injured mice leucine, isoleucine, and valine, three branched chain amino acids (BCAAs) that have been shown to heal severe brain injuries. The result was that the brain-injured mice demonstrated a full cognitive recovery, visibly responding the same as uninjured mice following their treatment.

The BCAAs used in the study are the precursors to two important neurotransmitters, glutamate and gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA) which jointly balance proper brain activity. Damage to the hippocampus, the portion of the brain that sustains memory and higher learning, is typical during a traumatic brain injury (TBI) and results in reduced BCAA levels. Supplementation with BCAAs has proven to rejuvenate the brain and restore it to normal function.

Intravenous nourishment with BCAAs has been done before, however in this study the BCAA mixture was added to the mice's drinking water. Dr. Akiva Cohen, Ph.D. and author of the study, recommends dietary supplementation with BCAAs for human TBI treatment. He believes oral rather than intravenous supplementation is preferable because, rather than flood the brain with too high a dose intravenously, drinking BCAAs will provide a more sustained dose with increased benefits."

I'll be hitting the supplement store tomorrow. Thank you!

I have no experience dealing w/ this sort of thing, just a couple of ideas:

1. eye movement exercises (including EMDR)

The eyes are heavily cabled into the brain and simple eye movement exercises are often used to activate & harmonize the brain.

2. Kwan Yin Magnetic Qigong has a good brain section.

3. There was something I read quite a while back about someone doing ambidextrous exercises in order to stimulate both hemispheres of the brain. A guitar teacher mentioned it. ... here it is, WholeBrainGuitar.net. Apparently there are a bunch of drills that don't require a guitar at all. I've not tried this, but am curious, so if anyone else tries it I'm interested in hearing results. :)

Humble, as someone who has experienced TBI and also stroke I would recommend avoiding supplementation until you are able to effectively ground whatever energy may be going to your head or process emotionally traumatic incidents. I have had more flashbacks than I would care to ever go through again.

As Taomeow says from her experience, I agree from my own, supplementation can be like opening a door with a crowbar. I would recommend removing inflammatory sources from your diet and taking a very careful approach. Your brain is your engine, fuel additives can be good in small amounts but if you overdo it you can blow the whole thing and lose whatever progress you've made. Remember, food is medicine you take every time you eat, it can also be poison.

http://thetaobums.co..._48#entry292355

Also, another thing to keep in mind is that science is ever progressing and many of today's supplements are found to be harmful tomorrow when scientists "discover" a synergistic relationship between systems or learn how something actually works as opposed to theoretical basis for treatment. Neuroplasticity is a wonderful subject and it helps explain why meditation works.

I would recommend going with a body up approach. Massage, moving and sitting meditation with focus on developing the body, diet, and proper exercise will be of much assistance. Try to cultivate contentedness and focus of intent.

Edited by MithShrike

p.s.

For this or any other kind of long term trauma, illness, art & music therapy can be very helpful. By music therapy, I mean participate (play an instrument, sing, dance), not simply listen. It doesn't matter how well or badly you play, only that you engage and enjoy some. A cheap used guitar goes far. Painting is also good: you can find a crayola water color kit at Rite Aid for about $3. Again, paint anything you want, doesn't matter how well or badly. These sorts of things can be very therapeutic on many levels.

3. There was something I read quite a while back about someone doing ambidextrous exercises in order to stimulate both hemispheres of the brain. A guitar teacher mentioned it. ... here it is, WholeBrainGuitar.net. Apparently there are a bunch of drills that don't require a guitar at all. I've not tried this, but am curious, so if anyone else tries it I'm interested in hearing results. :)

Believe it twas i

https://www.google.com/search?q=brain+gym&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

As Taomeow says from her experience, I agree from my own, supplementation can be like opening a door with a crowbar. I would recommend removing inflammatory sources from your diet and taking a very careful approach. Your brain is your engine, fuel additives can be good in small amounts but if you overdo it you can blow the whole thing and lose whatever progress you've made. Remember, food is medicine you take every time you eat, it can also be poison.

http://thetaobums.co..._48#entry292355

Also, another thing to keep in mind is that science is ever progressing and many of today's supplements are found to be harmful tomorrow when scientists "discover" a synergistic relationship between systems or learn how something actually works as opposed to theoretical basis for treatment. Neuroplasticity is a wonderful subject and it helps explain why meditation works.

The Bragg Liquid Amino that I splashed on my baked potato tonight lists leucine, isoleucine, and valine as among the 16 amino acids in their product. It's like soy sauce, but not fermented, and I quite like it. Available at Whole Foods.

I'm not sure what quantities they were feeding the mice, says they were feeding it to them rather than injecting it anyway. I agree that substances found in the human body at dosages more than what is normal physiologically have often produced bad results, at least from what I've read and from the results I observed in a couple of people who were prescribed prednisone. There's a book out there somewhere by a doctor who used physiologically correct doses of hydro-cortisone to treat his patients without the bad results associated with steroids, but nobody does that, because it requires more frequent dosing. Prednisone is acknowledged to be overkill but it's like the doctors don't know hydro-cortisone exists, must not be making a big enough profit for the American medical-pharmaceutical complex.