Sign in to follow this  
skydog

Careers, Business, Psychology- University degrees

I am a young man who is considering which university choices to take etc. Honestly this stuff is my passion and I wish to give it to others, whilst making a decent living, whether that requires a psychology degree, building businesses, etc?

Anyone have any opinions.

I feel that a university degree would make my life safer and add more credibility from society.

I meant to say my passion is all that spiritual philosophy, psychological, meditation techniques etc

Edited by sinansencer

I just got out of university, and am about to start a full time job next week.

Here's my advice:

1) If at all you have an interest which is practical, DO IT. Math, engineering, sciences like biology or chemistry, computer programming, stuff like that. I know you didn't quite list them, but if you're interested at all in them, take a class or two just to get a feel for them and it might work out. Basically, know the job market and prepare. Not sure where you're from, but everyone is saying that the economy is bad and stuff, but I see job listings ALL THE TIME for IT people, hard science people, etc. My friends with majors in that didn't have a problem landing jobs and PAID internships (while they were undergrad)

2) If your interest is business, concentrate in something that is grounded and, well, practical. For instance, at my university, the business major had a lot of different focuses. You could focus in entrepreneurship, management, accounting and finance, etc. Basically, coming out of college you're probably not going to be hired to be a "boss" of someone, so the management stuff ain't going to be too practical. Entrepreneurship? Eh, if you're going to start your own business, get something practical FIRST that you can build a business off of first.

3) From what I've heard, you need some education training beyond a four year degree if you want to do anything in psychology. Which is fine if you can afford it. If you're looking for a job after/during four years of education.... skip the formal psychology. Take some classes if you're interested. But don't bet on it.

4) And really, the most important tip which I should probably list first, when you're at university, make connections. I can't stress how important this is. ESPECIALLY if you are not a hard major that produces tangible, practical skills (engineer, science, computers, etc). Sounds terrible, but getting ahead can be more about WHO you know that WHAT you know. Get involved in clubs and activities. Ask professors about volunteer opportunities and research chances.

Basically, when you're a student people will give you a break. Ask to volunteer and work for free for a semester or two. This gives you experience and connections (so many jobs, even entry level jobs, require experience). Hound your counselors or professors for internships for the summer. I don't know what your financial situation is, but don't worry so much about paid internships. It's important to get the experience.

After that, keep it up in subsequent semesters. Make new connections, and if you know what your interests are, narrow them down and build experiences. Let people know what you're interested in. Keep your grades up and do well, and just keep at it.

In your third or fourth year, it's very feasible that you can have a full time job lined up by the time you graduate.

If not, then by the time you start applying for jobs you'll already have relevant work experiences which will help you stand out as an applicant.

As always, do what you love, because that will help you do your best work. But do keep in mind that you will have to work at it to be successful.

• Like 2

I just got out of university, and am about to start a full time job next week.

Here's my advice:

1) If at all you have an interest which is practical, DO IT. Math, engineering, sciences like biology or chemistry, computer programming, stuff like that. I know you didn't quite list them, but if you're interested at all in them, take a class or two just to get a feel for them and it might work out. Basically, know the job market and prepare. Not sure where you're from, but everyone is saying that the economy is bad and stuff, but I see job listings ALL THE TIME for IT people, hard science people, etc. My friends with majors in that didn't have a problem landing jobs and PAID internships (while they were undergrad)

2) If your interest is business, concentrate in something that is grounded and, well, practical. For instance, at my university, the business major had a lot of different focuses. You could focus in entrepreneurship, management, accounting and finance, etc. Basically, coming out of college you're probably not going to be hired to be a "boss" of someone, so the management stuff ain't going to be too practical. Entrepreneurship? Eh, if you're going to start your own business, get something practical FIRST that you can build a business off of first.

3) From what I've heard, you need some education training beyond a four year degree if you want to do anything in psychology. Which is fine if you can afford it. If you're looking for a job after/during four years of education.... skip the formal psychology. Take some classes if you're interested. But don't bet on it.

4) And really, the most important tip which I should probably list first, when you're at university, make connections. I can't stress how important this is. ESPECIALLY if you are not a hard major that produces tangible, practical skills (engineer, science, computers, etc). Sounds terrible, but getting ahead can be more about WHO you know that WHAT you know. Get involved in clubs and activities. Ask professors about volunteer opportunities and research chances.

Basically, when you're a student people will give you a break. Ask to volunteer and work for free for a semester or two. This gives you experience and connections (so many jobs, even entry level jobs, require experience). Hound your counselors or professors for internships for the summer. I don't know what your financial situation is, but don't worry so much about paid internships. It's important to get the experience.

After that, keep it up in subsequent semesters. Make new connections, and if you know what your interests are, narrow them down and build experiences. Let people know what you're interested in. Keep your grades up and do well, and just keep at it.

In your third or fourth year, it's very feasible that you can have a full time job lined up by the time you graduate.

If not, then by the time you start applying for jobs you'll already have relevant work experiences which will help you stand out as an applicant.

As always, do what you love, because that will help you do your best work. But do keep in mind that you will have to work at it to be successful.

Thank you for your reply I meant to say Im interested in all this spiritual philosophy, healing, consciousness raising, psychology etc but I am struggling as to what I can do in terms of careers

You're not gonna find anybody that's going to give you a job doing "spiritual philosophy, healing, consciousness raising, psychology etc". A psychology BA or BS is absolutely useless unless if you go for a phd. If you want to make money from this you have to start your own business. That requires practical skills they don't teach you, not even in business school, like social skills, the ability to network, and creativity. Can you do that ? If you can you don't even need a college degree. Better off getting a practical degree like engineering, and pursue the above as hobbies. I see this all the time... ppl taking a liking in a subject just because, and they end up majoring in useless subjects like art history and English, waste of money, no job at the end.

• Like 2

You're not gonna find anybody that's going to give you a job doing "spiritual philosophy, healing, consciousness raising, psychology etc". A psychology BA or BS is absolutely useless unless if you go for a phd. If you want to make money from this you have to start your own business. That requires practical skills they don't teach you, not even in business school, like social skills, the ability to network, and creativity. Can you do that ? If you can you don't even need a college degree. Better off getting a practical degree like engineering, and pursue the above as hobbies. I see this all the time... ppl taking a liking in a subject just because, and they end up majoring in useless subjects like art history and English, waste of money, no job at the end.

Hello mate thats really helpful.

Yes I was thinking of getting a PHD as I see so many spiritual books written by doctors. I was also thinking of making businesses/a business. First starting experimenting and just keeping experimenting and making failures and mistakes, reading books. Also I have creativty and social skills to some degree however it is also very easy to improve my social skills or ability to network.

So what is your opinion on is it a valid reasons to get a phd to get involved with this consciousness raising stuff? or the transition from going from a degree to a phd. My main aim is to get involved with this consciousness raising stuff.

You can get a career in psychotherapy which incorporates aspects like Buddhist psychology and body methods. It's more about helping people than making lots of money with business though.

• Like 2

You can get a career in psychotherapy which incorporates aspects like Buddhist psychology and body methods. It's more about helping people than making lots of money with business though.

Hmm sounds interesting I heard you can do things like art therapy, dance therapy, gestalt therapy.

Thanks for the reccomendation will have to research

Hmm sounds interesting I heard you can do things like art therapy, dance therapy, gestalt therapy.

Thanks for the reccomendation will have to research

There are all sorts of things people incorporate into psychotherapy these days, things like Sensorimotor Psychotherapy, Bioenergetics, Core Energetics, mindfulness, integrative body mind psychotherapy. I would expect there are many therapists who teach their clients Taoist "relaxation techniques".

I don't know where you live but in the UK there is the Karuna institute http://www.karuna-institute.co.uk/ which teaches a mixture of Buddhist and modern psychology along with Kum Nye and Cranio Sacral therapy, I expect there are similar institutes in the US which are accredited like Universities so you can go out and practice once you have qualified from them, I have heard things about Naropa university which sound interesting. Most of them are hardly considered alternative these days, you may not get the Harvard certificate from studying at them but you would probably be better at helping people.

There are all sorts of things people incorporate into psychotherapy these days, things like Sensorimotor Psychotherapy, Bioenergetics, Core Energetics, mindfulness, integrative body mind psychotherapy. I would expect there are many therapists who teach their clients Taoist "relaxation techniques".

I don't know where you live but in the UK there is the Karuna institute http://www.karuna-institute.co.uk/ which teaches a mixture of Buddhist and modern psychology along with Kum Nye and Cranio Sacral therapy, I expect there are similar institutes in the US which are accredited like Universities so you can go out and practice once you have qualified from them, I have heard things about Naropa university which sound interesting. Most of them are hardly considered alternative these days, you may not get the Harvard certificate from studying at them but you would probably be better at helping people.

Hello mate, yeah sounds pretty cool.

I live in the UK in London :). I will have to check karuna and naropa in more detail. However a big thing for me is that university fees are paid by student loan, I have looked on UCAS and these are the best two that come up. Honestly I know there are seperate courses which equip you more however a degree is also neccessary for career prospects. I can always learn methods later or whilst studying.

http://www.uclan.ac.uk/information/courses/ba_counselling_psychotherapy_studies.php

Hello mate thats really helpful.

Yes I was thinking of getting a PHD as I see so many spiritual books written by doctors. I was also thinking of making businesses/a business. First starting experimenting and just keeping experimenting and making failures and mistakes, reading books. Also I have creativty and social skills to some degree however it is also very easy to improve my social skills or ability to network.

Wait! Did you just say that you want to get a Ph.D. because you've noticed that lots of spiritual books are written by people who have them? :blink:

Make sure that whatever you get your degree in either prepares you for a first position or gives you the toolset you need to start your own business.

A psych undergrad without grad or post-grad creds to back it up (a Ph.D. is almost a necessity these days) prepares you for little but does send the subtle hint to a potential first employer that you might have a few issues of your own... ;)

I'm just saying.

:blush:

• Like 1

I'd recommend reading The education of millionaires just to help you get some perspective.

The main point it emphasizes is to make money, you do not need a degree, and the corporate world is changing, with an emphasis on skills not on degrees. That you can learn everything you need on your own with enough drive.

That said information careers are still critical to go to college for. (doctor, engineer, math, whatever) But unless you have a major passion in this, do not do it.

Business, networking, starting an LLC, are all things you can learn on the internet and on your own, and business classes do not prepare you for.(yet, I've seen a few classes that have you get off your ass and start something, but for the most part don't)

And if you want to focus on spiritual stuff, there are tons of ways you could do it, but yes it does entail starting a business, networking, being with people, developing social skills, etc, which when you focus on the spiritual part isn't that hard.

It all depends on how bad you want it.

Or you could take up a job in something else to make money, till you can focus solely on spiritual stuff(either by transitioning into a job around it or creating something).

John

• Like 3

Mike, John, good practical replies. The college tuition bubble is nearing its peak, and along with the rest of the world's financial issues considered, one may be behind the degree curve unless it is something like engineering. Iotw, make sure you need the degree before you go for it, because you may find it slightly less useful than you hope - not to mention most unis are insanely expensive. 20-50k a year is not worth it for most degrees, you just wind up with steep student loans.

I pissed away perhaps 6k on college, but that was a little before colleges discovered the wonders of ridiculous oversubsidization and administrative bloat that could sink a cruise liner. College is after all a boomin business, mostly because the idea was floated that everyone should have a degree in it doesn't matter what, add in hefty amounts of gov subsidy and its no surprise that subsidizing outcomes instead of fundamentals has merely watered down the value of that which was subsidized, to top it off made costs increase over 4x the (fake and distorted) rate of inflation.

Good luck in your pursuits!

• Like 1

Many who go to university do not end up in their major as a career choice. You are really saying so many things/ Do you wish to be a healer? Or not? If you do, nursing is a great choice, at least here in the US as it is usually easy to get a job with so many different applications (hospital, clinic, sales, etc.) AND gives one the opportunity to work their own special hours, say, weekend only.

If you REALLY wish to do healing I would say, join a nursing program, get your prerequisite hours in while at the same time getting massage therapy certification while at the same time getting hours for medical qigong certification in over the years as you are finishing your nursing degree. Doing it this way would give you an almost immediate entry into the field of healing others and an ability to make money while you are finishing up the degree. Then you would have the opportunity to go into business full time for yourself while at the same time make money in a job if the business didn't work or if you lost interest in the business.

• Like 4

Getting a phd takes at least 5 yrs, often 6 or 7 if things aren't smooth (they never are). And at the end for most phd's you are not guaranteed a job, oftentimes to make yourself stand out you have to do post-doc fellowships that last another 2-3 yrs. This is on top of the 4 yrs (or 3 in the UK) you spend on the first degree. You will be putting all your eggs in one basket. All those years, that's almost as long as you've been alive. Do you really love this "consciousness raising stuff" that much ? In all those years time you might find other interests. I'm not much older than you, but in that time ive had so many exciting interests that come up, only to fall away as quickly as they came. If it happens near the end of all that education you will have realized it was a waste of time. I'm telling you, even a phd in psych is useless unless if you go into clinical psychology. This deals with ppl with mental illness and drug users, not spiritual stuff.

So don't waste your time. Go do something practical. Nursing, engineering, information technology, whatever interests you OTHER than spiritual things. In your free time go learn some business skills on the side. If you want to make good money you need to have your own niche, you need to see markets that others miss.... When there are so many ppl teaching spiritual stuff, all of which is supposed to raise consciousness, when there are other ppl offering "energy healing" services, what makes YOU different ? If you want to write books, what makes YOUR book different? You may have some exciting ideas right now, but im betting you, given your age, somebody else probably figured it out long before you. Thats life. Youre better off knowing this young, than to be in the middle of your phd, and you learn that some other guy already published that great idea you had. So ask yourself these questions, and learn about business, WHILE you're getting a real degree. Not in psychology. And if it doesn't work out ? You'll at least have a real job at the end.

• Like 1

Oh, yea, add in that to graduate you have to get loans, which are structured in such a way that you can never escape them other than leaving the country. Add in the mix of when you graduate you will be at your lowest ability to generate revenue career wise and you get a shitty situation.

So yes there is a college bubble right now, and no you should never take on the debt, unless you can cover it.

John

I'm going to float out the idea that college isn't COMPLETELY useless, but again, you should be using it for connections more than you use it for a degree.

UNLESS your degree is in something very technical/specific that requires training and equipment you can't procure yourself, such as engineering, chemistry, biology, information technology, etc.

But even IT is on the borderline. Many jobs hiring for programmers don't always require degrees, rather, they require evidence that you can perform a certain task. There are programming tutorials everywhere online. Programmers are notoriously independent and some of the best in the industry, even today, are self taught. There are plenty of open source projects to get you some experience and your name attached to tangible material, that as long as you stay on the ball, you don't even need a degree for that.

Again, as a student, internships and volunteer opportunities are there. Plenty of businesses and larger corporations recruit through college campuses, and some of their entry level and management training programs recruit almost EXCLUSIVELY through college campuses.

Talk to professors and hound counselors about internships. Talk to people, network, get your foot in the door, do the best damn work you can, know people, get people to know your name, get people talking about you, open up to them about your interests.

Keep the grades up almost as a secondary (especially if you're in a liberal arts field).

If it's a more technical field, again, the classes you take are about getting skills, and your internships/jobs should be about putting your name on projects.

Again, being a "university student" gets people to consider you for off the beaten path jobs. They let you volunteer and talk to you about things without thinking about you as an employee (remember, employees cost money in terms of training, insurance, benefits, etc, university students are free, desperate labor). Make good impressions and you can easily get bumped into a career track.

• Like 1

Wait! Did you just say that you want to get a Ph.D. because you've noticed that lots of spiritual books are written by people who have them? :blink:

Make sure that whatever you get your degree in either prepares you for a first position or gives you the toolset you need to start your own business.

A psych undergrad without grad or post-grad creds to back it up (a Ph.D. is almost a necessity these days) prepares you for little but does send the subtle hint to a potential first employer that you might have a few issues of your own... ;)

I'm just saying.

:blush:

Hello either I have a communication issue or my own intentions are more selfish than I thought I can't seem to figure out which.

Either way I believe that in order to do this consciousness raising stuff and bring it to the general public I need to be taken seriously a PHD MAY help with this credibility aspect.

Also the universitys dont seem to teach the real juice of the "therapies" Im interested in...spontaneous movement, meditation, creative art, poetry, music, lucid dreaming, psychadelics (even more recently qigong stillness movement)

And yes getting a PHD may be nice but by the time Im finished I will be like 30 or more good years of my life gone..so it is difficult to make a decision.

I'd recommend reading The education of millionaires just to help you get some perspective.

The main point it emphasizes is to make money, you do not need a degree, and the corporate world is changing, with an emphasis on skills not on degrees. That you can learn everything you need on your own with enough drive.

That said information careers are still critical to go to college for. (doctor, engineer, math, whatever) But unless you have a major passion in this, do not do it.

Business, networking, starting an LLC, are all things you can learn on the internet and on your own, and business classes do not prepare you for.(yet, I've seen a few classes that have you get off your ass and start something, but for the most part don't)

And if you want to focus on spiritual stuff, there are tons of ways you could do it, but yes it does entail starting a business, networking, being with people, developing social skills, etc, which when you focus on the spiritual part isn't that hard.

It all depends on how bad you want it.

Or you could take up a job in something else to make money, till you can focus solely on spiritual stuff(either by transitioning into a job around it or creating something).

John

Hello I agree having just read rich dad poor dad, I am keen to start looking into making money. However I also feel that having a degree is like a safety net. I can do both right, a degree and make businesses I have a year before I will likely start university also. I am keen to make a business but I also believe in having a degree for safety.

Many who go to university do not end up in their major as a career choice. You are really saying so many things/ Do you wish to be a healer? Or not? If you do, nursing is a great choice, at least here in the US as it is usually easy to get a job with so many different applications (hospital, clinic, sales, etc.) AND gives one the opportunity to work their own special hours, say, weekend only.

If you REALLY wish to do healing I would say, join a nursing program, get your prerequisite hours in while at the same time getting massage therapy certification while at the same time getting hours for medical qigong certification in over the years as you are finishing your nursing degree. Doing it this way would give you an almost immediate entry into the field of healing others and an ability to make money while you are finishing up the degree. Then you would have the opportunity to go into business full time for yourself while at the same time make money in a job if the business didn't work or if you lost interest in the business.

Hello Yamu. I wish to be a healer or someone that shows others the way to heal themselves. I will look into nursing however in all honesty I have a cringey feeling that comes up if I think of a future where I tell people I am a nurse call me superficial but thats just the reality. Also Im pretty sure that I will have to go to university. Is the idea of counselling/psychotherapy that bad of a safety net? to then start getting into other areas? I am interested in Medical Qigong however is it possible to just dive right in?

ps I have been looking at this stillness movement thread the past day it is really intriguing me.

Getting a phd takes at least 5 yrs, often 6 or 7 if things aren't smooth (they never are). And at the end for most phd's you are not guaranteed a job, oftentimes to make yourself stand out you have to do post-doc fellowships that last another 2-3 yrs. This is on top of the 4 yrs (or 3 in the UK) you spend on the first degree. You will be putting all your eggs in one basket. All those years, that's almost as long as you've been alive. Do you really love this "consciousness raising stuff" that much ? In all those years time you might find other interests. I'm not much older than you, but in that time ive had so many exciting interests that come up, only to fall away as quickly as they came. If it happens near the end of all that education you will have realized it was a waste of time. I'm telling you, even a phd in psych is useless unless if you go into clinical psychology. This deals with ppl with mental illness and drug users, not spiritual stuff.

So don't waste your time. Go do something practical. Nursing, engineering, information technology, whatever interests you OTHER than spiritual things. In your free time go learn some business skills on the side. If you want to make good money you need to have your own niche, you need to see markets that others miss.... When there are so many ppl teaching spiritual stuff, all of which is supposed to raise consciousness, when there are other ppl offering "energy healing" services, what makes YOU different ? If you want to write books, what makes YOUR book different? You may have some exciting ideas right now, but im betting you, given your age, somebody else probably figured it out long before you. Thats life. Youre better off knowing this young, than to be in the middle of your phd, and you learn that some other guy already published that great idea you had. So ask yourself these questions, and learn about business, WHILE you're getting a real degree. Not in psychology. And if it doesn't work out ? You'll at least have a real job at the end.

Hello thanks for your reply. I am very into this consciousness raising stuff. I do realise what your saying sometimes my mind changes and I cannot really do anything about it, I cannot make a decision based on what I would do if my mind would change primarly because I dont know what it would change to. I do realise I need to start becoming more balanced but I am interested in spontaneous art, music, poetry, nutrition, plants, animals I guess (hmmm) and yes Im really looking into getting into business

I'm going to float out the idea that college isn't COMPLETELY useless, but again, you should be using it for connections more than you use it for a degree.

UNLESS your degree is in something very technical/specific that requires training and equipment you can't procure yourself, such as engineering, chemistry, biology, information technology, etc.

But even IT is on the borderline. Many jobs hiring for programmers don't always require degrees, rather, they require evidence that you can perform a certain task. There are programming tutorials everywhere online. Programmers are notoriously independent and some of the best in the industry, even today, are self taught. There are plenty of open source projects to get you some experience and your name attached to tangible material, that as long as you stay on the ball, you don't even need a degree for that.

Again, as a student, internships and volunteer opportunities are there. Plenty of businesses and larger corporations recruit through college campuses, and some of their entry level and management training programs recruit almost EXCLUSIVELY through college campuses.

Talk to professors and hound counselors about internships. Talk to people, network, get your foot in the door, do the best damn work you can, know people, get people to know your name, get people talking about you, open up to them about your interests.

Keep the grades up almost as a secondary (especially if you're in a liberal arts field).

If it's a more technical field, again, the classes you take are about getting skills, and your internships/jobs should be about putting your name on projects.

Again, being a "university student" gets people to consider you for off the beaten path jobs. They let you volunteer and talk to you about things without thinking about you as an employee (remember, employees cost money in terms of training, insurance, benefits, etc, university students are free, desperate labor). Make good impressions and you can easily get bumped into a career track.

So if it was something realted to Qigong, healing?

Hello I agree having just read rich dad poor dad, I am keen to start looking into making money. However I also feel that having a degree is like a safety net. I can do both right, a degree and make businesses I have a year before I will likely start university also. I am keen to make a business but I also believe in having a degree for safety.

In which case can I suggest you get the best quality/price combo you can get. For many entry-level jobs a community-college degree is good 'bang for your buck' and the colleges are often better at networking with prospective local employers than universities. Check out the "Personal MBA" book and website for business-related stuff. Knowing some code is a good idea if you're going to hire coders but getting a certificate in it to be a coder is something I'd throw back for debate. For health/caring professions, I reckon you've got some great advice. I think getting yourself into the economy without a hefty student loan is a good idea. Some professions demand a uni degree but I wonder how much of that is 'we had to pay out for it and so do you'?

---opinion alert---

So if it was something realted to Qigong, healing?

Good luck getting a legitimate career by doing that, buddy.

Not saying that it's not a fulfilling path, not saying that it doesn't work, or that you won't be helping people. Plenty of people around these parts can attest to the powerful healings they have received from some powerful teachers/masters (I'd highly suggest you look into Ya Mu's teaching, for instance).

But if you're worried about what people will think when you tell them you're a nurse, imagine what they'll think when you tell them you're a "qigong healer".

If they even know what that is, they're going to associate you with some New Age baloney. At BEST you can tell them it's related to therapeutic massage, which is somewhat legitimate thanks to the popularity of sports, and the needs of athletes to have well taken care of body tissue.

And even then, who knows how much money is in that. Maybe talk to Ya Mu about it, though it is kind of personal.

Point is, several of your states goals are at odds with each other.

You want to heal people AND have a legitimate career? Become a nurse or a doctor.

You want to heal people using energy and qigong? Qigong healer and stuff.

Want to do both? Do both. Ya Mu's suggestion was pretty much spot on if you're seriously interested in the healing path. But nursing alone is hard enough. You're going to have to really want it.

• Like 1

You say you're interested in this stuff. That's fine, but just realize that VERY FEW ppl get to work in professions where they get to express their interests. The vast majority of the anonymous masses go to work, do their boring 8 hours behind a desk pushing paper or whatever, go home, unwind, collect their paycheck, rinse, and repeat. They pursue interests in their free time, away from work. The few exceptions are VERY lucky, and many of them work for themselves with their own business. Sorry to shoot your bubble. You are obviously very enthusiastic about spiritual things, but the chances of you turning it into a paying career is extremely low. Sucks, but that's life. So my advice again, is to study a practical subject, and study your interests and business in your spare time. Dream about turning your hobby into your career only after you've found a real job. Otherwise you'll put all your eggs in one basket and you have nothing to fall back on when things (unfortunately) don't work out.

Sign in to follow this