Sign in to follow this  
skydog

Careers, Business, Psychology- University degrees

Hi

What does anyone think about following Psychotherapy which can include many things- Lucid dreaming, hypnosis, EFT, visualisation, gestalt therapy, expressive art, writing, music, singing, dance, psychadelics, CBT, counselling

going to University/ies for it...which I would be happy to do for a career.

In the meantime look into things like Medical Qigong and building my own businesses and assets.

Many people believe that Qigong doesnt solve everything and other things are related.

regards

Edited by sinansencer

Hello Yamu. I wish to be a healer or someone that shows others the way to heal themselves. I will look into nursing however in all honesty I have a cringey feeling that comes up if I think of a future where I tell people I am a nurse call me superficial but thats just the reality. Also Im pretty sure that I will have to go to university. Is the idea of counselling/psychotherapy that bad of a safety net? to then start getting into other areas? I am interested in Medical Qigong however is it possible to just dive right in?

ps I have been looking at this stillness movement thread the past day it is really intriguing me.

You should do whatever you feel you want to do. My suggestion was based on the path of the healer which I understood was something you want to do. If I am not misreading you, and I apologize if I am, it appears your reservations on nursing have something to do with being a male nurse in a field where it used to be the majority were women. While I have no idea what the ratio of men/women in nursing is today, rest assured that it is not looked upon as a "female only" profession. If nursing does interest you, PM user indyjim. HE is a registered nurse AND a medical qigong healer and I think would be glad to share with you about the subject.

I have met several people with advanced degrees in psychology who couldn't find employment in their field of study. I have never met a person with a basic BS degree in nursing who couldn't get a well-paying job. Those with masters degrees and nurse practitioner degrees have extremely good saleries.

And yes, one can jump right in to a medical qigong training program. There were two people who graduated from my program at our last workshop. The program takes around 3 years with mostly weekend training.

Hope you find whatever you feel is best for you!

• Like 2

Hi

What does anyone think about following Psychotherapy which can include many things- Lucid dreaming, hypnosis, EFT, visualisation, gestalt therapy, expressive art, writing, music, singing, dance, psychadelics, CBT, counselling

going to University/ies for it...which I would be happy to do for a career.

Good luck. From what I have seen of the psychology department at my university, all of that stuff was considered outdated and general quackery. Maybe an intro to psych course went over those topics as a means of saying "haha, look at the stuff people used to think worked!" and then moved on.

No one gave that serious study let alone practice (from what I saw).

If you're finding a program that teaches that specifically.... uh, watch out.... it might not be as legitimate or respected or even accredited, and you might not have very much luck finding a good job...

It'd be like the difference between someone who learned massage therapy so they could heal their favorite sports stars, and wound up working as a middle school gym teacher, vs someone who went on to be a full fledged doctor and healed their favorite sports stars....

In the meantime look into things like Medical Qigong and building my own businesses and assets.

Many people believe that Qigong doesnt solve everything and other things are related.

regards

In order to have a successful business you need to have a successful business model. That means you have to have a product or a service that you can provide that either no one else does, or you are providing it in such a way that it is new and innovative or you are providing it to a previously unreached portion of the market.

It sounds to me like you want to start a business because you want to be a "business person". In which case, you like the "idea" of business more than you actually like whatever product or service you are hoping to sell. And I hate to break it to you, but you just aren't going to get far with that attitude.

FAR more people make successful businesses not even INTENDING to become business people. They just do what they love, find out people are willing to pay money for it, and take off. People who want to do business just for the sake of doing business? Sorry.

• Like 1

Hello Yamu. I wish to be a healer or someone that shows others the way to heal themselves. I will look into nursing however in all honesty I have a cringey feeling that comes up if I think of a future where I tell people I am a nurse call me superficial but thats just the reality. Also Im pretty sure that I will have to go to university. Is the idea of counselling/psychotherapy that bad of a safety net? to then start getting into other areas? I am interested in Medical Qigong however is it possible to just dive right in?

ps I have been looking at this stillness movement thread the past day it is really intriguing me.

Hi Sinansence,

I am in a similar situation to you and would be happy to tell you my loose plans for the future. I am currently an undergraduate student studying for a degree in Cognitive Science, which is similar to psychology but more emphasis on studying consciousness, perception and brain functions. I have also attended several of Yamu's Stillness-Movement workshops with the intention of completing his medical qigong certificate program. I know in my heart that I want spend my life helping others and follow the path of the healer. I also know that whatever I choose to do in life, qigong and energy healing will always play a big part in it. So like you, I have asked myself what is the best path to follow to pursue these goals in mind:

I have considered Med School, however IMO western medicine is so out of whack at the moment, with doctors proscribing toxic pharmaceuticals, chemotherapy and radiation treatments for cancer...I don't think I could push myself through medical school having to learn so many things I disagree with. However of course western medicine has its uses for example in stabilizing people after carwrecks, heartattacks, strokes, and other emergency situations. Western medicine simply isn't the path for me, though for many it may be the perfect option for others to pursue.

I have also considered what Michael has also suggested in the past, getting a massage degree to ensure body touch is legal, allowing one to practice Taoist Medicine and Medical qigong without the legal issues. This would be fine, I could actually achieve this as soon as I graduate from my University as it has a massage program which I am planning on completing. However I feel that, being so young I mine as well get more education, plus I don't know if people would take a 22 year with only a massage degree that seriously

So lately I have been seriously considering going to a graduate school in Chinese Medicine, however instead of TCM, I am looking into CCM, Classical Chinese Medicine. I found a school thats focuses on CCM My link, meaning that they try to teach Chinese Medicine as it was taught before the western industrialization of chinese culture and medicine. CCM has more emphasis on energetics, studying the classics, and they even talk about master student lineage transmissions. With this kind of degree I can open up a practice and be free to use the full scope of what Chinese Medicine has to offer: Acupuncture, herbs, medical qigong; but my practice will be heavy on the energetics. This is just as of now my current plan, however I may always change my mind and choose to pursue something different. All I know is that medical qigong will play a role in whatever I choose to do in my life. I hope my thoughts on this have been of use to you. In the end I've found to not try overly hard thinking about the future, just go with what feels right in life and things will work out.

• Like 1

Good luck. From what I have seen of the psychology department at my university, all of that stuff was considered outdated and general quackery. Maybe an intro to psych course went over those topics as a means of saying "haha, look at the stuff people used to think worked!" and then moved on.

Do you mean psychoanalysis? because Psychotherapy is still widely used and in demand, it is a very difficult job though which requires an amount of natural ability and character.

You should do whatever you feel you want to do. My suggestion was based on the path of the healer which I understood was something you want to do. If I am not misreading you, and I apologize if I am, it appears your reservations on nursing have something to do with being a male nurse in a field where it used to be the majority were women. While I have no idea what the ratio of men/women in nursing is today, rest assured that it is not looked upon as a "female only" profession. If nursing does interest you, PM user indyjim. HE is a registered nurse AND a medical qigong healer and I think would be glad to share with you about the subject.

I have met several people with advanced degrees in psychology who couldn't find employment in their field of study. I have never met a person with a basic BS degree in nursing who couldn't get a well-paying job. Those with masters degrees and nurse practitioner degrees have extremely good saleries.

And yes, one can jump right in to a medical qigong training program. There were two people who graduated from my program at our last workshop. The program takes around 3 years with mostly weekend training.

Hope you find whatever you feel is best for you!

Hello Yamu

I have been thinking about what you have been saying and coming more to the conclusion that nursing seems like a good idea. It is a far better safety net than say mcdonalds. My actual plans are to bring consciousness raising activities to the general public, investing in stocks and assets, maybe real estate so I dont have to be a slave if I dont want to. Also nursing seems ok, I like helping people. Also say I live in the UK and want to do a medical qigong program after doing a nursing degree in the UK how is this possible.

Regards

Sinan

If you're finding a program that teaches that specifically.... uh, watch out.... it might not be as legitimate or respected or even accredited, and you might not have very much luck finding a good job...

It'd be like the difference between someone who learned massage therapy so they could heal their favorite sports stars, and wound up working as a middle school gym teacher, vs someone who went on to be a full fledged doctor and healed their favorite sports stars....

In order to have a successful business you need to have a successful business model. That means you have to have a product or a service that you can provide that either no one else does, or you are providing it in such a way that it is new and innovative or you are providing it to a previously unreached portion of the market.

It sounds to me like you want to start a business because you want to be a "business person". In which case, you like the "idea" of business more than you actually like whatever product or service you are hoping to sell. And I hate to break it to you, but you just aren't going to get far with that attitude.

FAR more people make successful businesses not even INTENDING to become business people. They just do what they love, find out people are willing to pay money for it, and take off. People who want to do business just for the sake of doing business? Sorry.

Hello Sloppy Zhang thanks for your posts I am considering nursin because it is a real safety net, then building assets and investing to make money but I have ideas business related and there not about business there about sharing and I think they are pretty unique I need to figure out how write things like business plans etc

Hi Sinansence,

I am in a similar situation to you and would be happy to tell you my loose plans for the future. I am currently an undergraduate student studying for a degree in Cognitive Science, which is similar to psychology but more emphasis on studying consciousness, perception and brain functions. I have also attended several of Yamu's Stillness-Movement workshops with the intention of completing his medical qigong certificate program. I know in my heart that I want spend my life helping others and follow the path of the healer. I also know that whatever I choose to do in life, qigong and energy healing will always play a big part in it. So like you, I have asked myself what is the best path to follow to pursue these goals in mind:

I have considered Med School, however IMO western medicine is so out of whack at the moment, with doctors proscribing toxic pharmaceuticals, chemotherapy and radiation treatments for cancer...I don't think I could push myself through medical school having to learn so many things I disagree with. However of course western medicine has its uses for example in stabilizing people after carwrecks, heartattacks, strokes, and other emergency situations. Western medicine simply isn't the path for me, though for many it may be the perfect option for others to pursue.

I have also considered what Michael has also suggested in the past, getting a massage degree to ensure body touch is legal, allowing one to practice Taoist Medicine and Medical qigong without the legal issues. This would be fine, I could actually achieve this as soon as I graduate from my University as it has a massage program which I am planning on completing. However I feel that, being so young I mine as well get more education, plus I don't know if people would take a 22 year with only a massage degree that seriously

So lately I have been seriously considering going to a graduate school in Chinese Medicine, however instead of TCM, I am looking into CCM, Classical Chinese Medicine. I found a school thats focuses on CCM My link, meaning that they try to teach Chinese Medicine as it was taught before the western industrialization of chinese culture and medicine. CCM has more emphasis on energetics, studying the classics, and they even talk about master student lineage transmissions. With this kind of degree I can open up a practice and be free to use the full scope of what Chinese Medicine has to offer: Acupuncture, herbs, medical qigong; but my practice will be heavy on the energetics. This is just as of now my current plan, however I may always change my mind and choose to pursue something different. All I know is that medical qigong will play a role in whatever I choose to do in my life. I hope my thoughts on this have been of use to you. In the end I've found to not try overly hard thinking about the future, just go with what feels right in life and things will work out.

Good luck in all your goals, my friend thank you for your post, it has also given me the idea to do chinese medicine on top of whatever else I choose to do

Regards

Sinan

Spring Forest Qigong is going to start certifying people in Qi Saage. To me, that would be a good moneymaker. Go to massage school - get certified as a Holistic Health Practicioner - and incorporate QiSagge and other techniques into your practice.

Also I've known a few male nurses - and they all say that it is the best job in the world for picking up women...Because basically you are surrounded by frisky nurses all day. I think back in the day male nurses were considered suspect. But now a days they seem to be looked at as Casanovas because of all the women they can have if they want.

Hello Sloppy Zhang thanks for your posts I am considering nursin because it is a real safety net, then building assets and investing to make money but I have ideas business related and there not about business there about sharing and I think they are pretty unique I need to figure out how write things like business plans etc

You have to realize that nursing is a pretty difficult gig and it's going to require a lot of dedication from you. A friend of mine is going through a nursing program now, and it's pretty rough. If you're treating it as a safety net, you probably aren't going to make the cut.

Again, your business ideas sound pretty nebulous. Building assets and investing sounds good in theory. But then 8 months later you find out all your assets are depreciating and your investments are crap, then you have more liabilities than when you started!

Business ideas about sharing? Um, internet? File sharing? Information technology in general? Our entire modern world is build on sharing. Just keep this stuff in mind.

You have to realize that nursing is a pretty difficult gig and it's going to require a lot of dedication from you. A friend of mine is going through a nursing program now, and it's pretty rough. If you're treating it as a safety net, you probably aren't going to make the cut.

Again, your business ideas sound pretty nebulous. Building assets and investing sounds good in theory. But then 8 months later you find out all your assets are depreciating and your investments are crap, then you have more liabilities than when you started!

Business ideas about sharing? Um, internet? File sharing? Information technology in general? Our entire modern world is build on sharing. Just keep this stuff in mind.

I guess so nothing is easy in this world..I like the idea of helping people and being with the sick and dying. Im sure there are bad parts to it.

I have ideas although I dont wish to share them. They are more about things I would enjoy to share with the world (didnt write that properly) also Im very creative and come up with ideas non stop and I have discussed them with others and they seem good. I guess some people would say it wouldnt work. In regards to other business things I am looking to get a flow of assets coming in. My dad is into stocks and stuff so I asked if he could teach me some stuff for like an hour a day and in exchange I would give him a massage or teach him meditative techniques. Also I am always learning reading books and building websites is an idea I think could work and build some steady income with enough initial effort.

Thanks I guess it is good to hear a skeptic opinion in advance rather than later.

Spring Forest Qigong is going to start certifying people in Qi Saage. To me, that would be a good moneymaker. Go to massage school - get certified as a Holistic Health Practicioner - and incorporate QiSagge and other techniques into your practice.

Also I've known a few male nurses - and they all say that it is the best job in the world for picking up women...Because basically you are surrounded by frisky nurses all day. I think back in the day male nurses were considered suspect. But now a days they seem to be looked at as Casanovas because of all the women they can have if they want.

Hello mate

What is Qi saage?

Also yes spring forest Qigong sounds good. I am also living in the UK so I guess If I wanted to learn Qigong I would have to do nursing then come to america, nurse there whilst doing qigong?? Also how do you get certified as a holistic health practioner I hope I dont have to go to university for another three years for that. lol sounds good.

Regards

Sinan

Also do you have a link for the flight mate? Would be helpful

Cheers

Also do you have a link for the flight mate? Would be helpful

Cheers

Go to RyanAir website, they don't fly to Helsinki which is why its cheap but the airport is about 1 hour 10m from the venue. The costs mount up with these trips but from what I have seen in the UK there aren't many people if anyone teaching this sort of healing so travel may be a requirement if you want to learn anything above basic TCM

Hello either I have a communication issue or my own intentions are more selfish than I thought I can't seem to figure out which.

Either way I believe that in order to do this consciousness raising stuff and bring it to the general public I need to be taken seriously a PHD MAY help with this credibility aspect.

Also the universitys dont seem to teach the real juice of the "therapies" Im interested in...spontaneous movement, meditation, creative art, poetry, music, lucid dreaming, psychadelics (even more recently qigong stillness movement)

And yes getting a PHD may be nice but by the time Im finished I will be like 30 or more good years of my life gone..so it is difficult to make a decision.

The therapies you are interested in are generally not for university students to take as credits for a career, they are for people who hang out in new age bookstores. I am also interested in some of these and its why I hang out check out tao bums all the time. Keep in mind 85% of college graduates in the US go home to live with their parents because they cannot get a job so only 15% can actually pay back their $100,000 loan. The rest start their young adult life with overwhelming debt and then bad credit. At least spend a few years saving money for college while figuring out what to do so you don't have to borrow all the money. I liked the nursing school suggestions best and may consider it myself. I do have a 4 year psychology degree myself, I do not suggest this major in this economy.

The therapies you are interested in are generally not for university students to take as credits for a career, they are for people who hang out in new age bookstores. I am also interested in some of these and its why I hang out check out tao bums all the time. Keep in mind 85% of college graduates in the US go home to live with their parents because they cannot get a job so only 15% can actually pay back their $100,000 loan. The rest start their young adult life with overwhelming debt and then bad credit. At least spend a few years saving money for college while figuring out what to do so you don't have to borrow all the money. I liked the nursing school suggestions best and may consider it myself. I do have a 4 year psychology degree myself, I do not suggest this major in this economy.

Thank you for your reply. In the Uk we get student loans from the government which we pay back once we are earning a reasonable income, also with nursing many courses are completely free since you are working. I need to actually do some work experience with nursing however to fully make sure it is what I want to do. However I see it as a good job for travelling either the 2 months off every year, the fact you can work for a while and probably go and travel and go back to work and work abroad, also i hear shifts are flexible as also you can do overtime. It might be a nice idea to combine this with the medical qigong etc etc later down the lane but having an income allows one to investigate other options a little better.

Regards

Sinan

there is so much to do with psychology. i recently read From Tao to Psychology by julian laboy, who is a member here, and i was shocked to know how diverse can Psychology be... Social psychology alone has a bunch of perspectives! even more, just one type of theory has a bunch of viewpoints... social constructionism, constructionism, constructivism, among others... what i am saying is that a career in psychology sounds interesting and because of the book, i know that one can complement studying it and practicing taoism... pretty neat :)

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this