jacklantegi

Activating the ida channel

Can someone recommend some specific exercises or meditations that focus specifically on activating, clearing and strengthening the ida channel?

All I know is that certain breathing techniques (alternating nostrils) is one way, but how does one go about doing this?

Thanks!

Advanced techniques are best learnt from a suitable teacher, not in a chat room.

In the presence of a guide the chances of success is very much heightened.

Are there any safe ones that I can practice on my own?

Advanced techniques are best learnt from a suitable teacher, not in a chat room.

In the presence of a guide the chances of success is very much heightened.

Are there any safe ones that I can practice on my own?

They are all relatively safe until such time one comes to a precipice at the edge of one's knowledge field.

What do you do then?

Its generally advised that one balances the activations of Ida and Pingala evenly instead of giving one more attention than the other, unless specifically informed, so again, i think its best to obtain live coaching if you can.

• Like 1

what's making you focus more on one as opposed to the other? need a measure of both if that is the case and you're "looking for balance"

For clearing, you can try the safe breath purification method in these books...

"Awakening the Sacred Body" by Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche

or

"The Buddhist Path" by Khenchen Sherab

"Healing with Form Energy and Light" by Tenzin Wangyal also contains it.

They are slightly different but derive from the same Tibetan practice which clears the bad winds in the 3 channels, as a preparation for meditation. It is fairly balancing.

There is also swara yoga...an easy method is lying on your right side, that will open the left nostril and channel within 10 minutes usually, sometimes immediately. Much better than a forceful practice.

Why do you want to do anything with ida though? If you feel like it's not active as long as the right side, you can go to a doctor and get checked to see if you have a deviated nasal septum.

Well, as I developed a very tangible feel for the energy in the three back channels over the course of my practice, I started noticing that the energy flowing through the ida gets slowed down like as if there was a dam halfway through my back.

So I was just wondering if there was anything I could do to clear out the channel to help it flow smoothly and evenly.

But if the best course of action is to just wait it out, then that's what I'll do, I guess.

what's making you focus more on one as opposed to the other? need a measure of both if that is the case and you're "looking for balance"

Well, as I developed a very tangible feel for the energy in the three back channels over the course of my practice, I started noticing that the energy flowing through the ida gets slowed down like as if there was a dam halfway through my back.

So I was just wondering if there was anything I could do to clear out the channel to help it flow smoothly and evenly.

But if the best course of action is to just wait it out, then that's what I'll do, I guess.

As I understand, these 3 are central, not on the back...so just in case there is any clarification of terms needed :D Where's it slowed? There's of course different methods - waiting it out among the most passive, dissolving slightly less passive but with a bit of intent to it, herbs may be of use...analyze in a matrix fashion, look at it from different viewpoints and you may get some more in depth understandings of what's happening.

I'm fairly positive that they are not central channels- all three are located in the back. One going through the spinal column, and the two on either side of it..

As I understand, these 3 are central, not on the back...so just in case there is any clarification of terms needed :D Where's it slowed? There's of course different methods - waiting it out among the most passive, dissolving slightly less passive but with a bit of intent to it, herbs may be of use...analyze in a matrix fashion, look at it from different viewpoints and you may get some more in depth understandings of what's happening.

I just play around with the Bon version every now and then. It has a sort of calming effect, similar to most breath practices. Visualization of colors and the channels are included so there are benefits from that...benefits from having the hand mudras, in equipose in the central channel and also pressing the nose...

I really want to try it when I am feeling negative to see if it actually works, but I have always ended up forgetting to. ^_^

Edited by Scotty

Can someone recommend some specific exercises or meditations that focus specifically on activating, clearing and strengthening the ida channel?

All I know is that certain breathing techniques (alternating nostrils) is one way, but how does one go about doing this?

Thanks!

Don't screw with your breath in any way except to steady and calm it unless working under the teachings of an expert - which normally means not your local street corner westernized hatha yoga studio where such qualifications are often in serious question yet at same one can read lists of all sorts of fancy sounding classes including 'kundalini yoga' for heavens sakes!

Thanks!

Nadi shodhana (alternayr nostril) is safe. I will post instructions in a follow up post.

Don't do anything, anywhere at anytime. If a man in a long coat approaches you with a lollipop, run for your life. Are you breathing? ARE YOU BREATHING? STOP THAT! WAIT UNTIL A CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR TEACHES YOU HOW TO DO THAT PROPERLY OR YOU'LL DESTROY YOUR STOMACH LINNING AND TURN YOUR CHI UPSIDEDOWN!

Don't think for yourself either, godamn man, what are you saying? Sit at your cubicle and drown in grey, do it now!

• Like 1

Don't do anything, anywhere at anytime. If a man in a long coat approaches you with a lollipop, run for your life. Are you breathing? ARE YOU BREATHING? STOP THAT! WAIT UNTIL A CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR TEACHES YOU HOW TO DO THAT PROPERLY OR YOU'LL DESTROY YOUR STOMACH LINNING AND TURN YOUR CHI UPSIDEDOWN!

Don't think for yourself either, godamn man, what are you saying? Sit at your cubicle and drown in grey, do it now!

True.

So why all the breathing techniques? What is each one for and what are its limits, and who for?

During one of my (now passed) phases where panic was a regular visitor, breathing technique really helped. Getting breathing under some semblance of consciouness CAN really help.

What I'm presently learning is that same can be done for other things for very similar reasons that one might wish to get one's breathing conscious. Not that I'm particularly good at the latter, but at least breathing is an 'easy win', I mean you can tell the difference when you do it. Oh yeah, plus one doesn't (although I'm sure I'm wrong) have quite as much attachment to ways of breathing as of thinking.