HandsInTime

this forum is awesome.

Maybe the best we can is walk away once our position is clearly said, and make sure we're supportive of the other person when we think they're right and do our best not to 'troll' them. Something I've been guilty of at times.

So easy to say and so hard to do!

What a wonderful thing to cultivate.

As someone continues to cast dispersions at me or confronts me in some way, I can simply disengage and move on.

There is nothing more powerful than knowing when and how to simply walk away.

If we can't just walk away from an internet confrontation, what does that say about us? I think it's worth investigating...

• Like 1

There is nothing more powerful than knowing when and how to simply walk away.

If we can't just walk away from an internet confrontation, what does that say about us? I think it's worth investigating...

Sincerity is an essential ingredient in that. And the outer expression of sincerity comes from the sincere wish to see past own illusions. (You know when someone says "This is my last posting here." and then it's not? That might come from not being sincere to oneself, in cases where that person believes the statement when they make it.)

Because one can more or less sense the underlying intention of an action by examining the context and tone. Maybe that's what's called intuition.

There was that discussion in a game forum where someone ended up calling me a liar all the time, because I merely showed him what he was doing. I eventually said my subscription is ending, so I'll not be able to post anymore and told him as a courtesy. His response: Liar, liar, liar! He was wrong. He created his own false reality and couldn't let go of it.

Edited by Owledge

Nah, it is like cats and dogs. In their view it was right. The dog want to play

and the cat understand it as attack. When the cat want to play the dog thinks he get attack. You can say it is a cultural clash.

Remember you are from Germany and the other have other standards to do and not to do and do not forget you are guest in this forum and not the host.

You know German tourist are no really liked in other country....

I'm not particularly pleased with this comment, my father was German and Jewish (Grandfather was German, grandmother Dutch Jew). I take offense when people tend to stereotype German's without really knowing much about the culture. I take offense with people who stereotype Jews as well, because of the same thing. I don't perceive a bias towards German tourists, anymore than I see a bias against American tourists. This just seems to be a trolling post to me, intentionally derogatory in order to incite an emotional response. Tsk. Tsk. I guess if you've been around long enough you can make an obviously bigoted post, without being chastised for it.

Aaron

Edited by Twinner

This just seems to be a trolling post to me, intentionally derogatory in order to incite an emotional response.

But maybe not. :)

• Like 1

It is your choice to entertain that belief system. Be aware that it shapes your perception, makes it selective. There is way too little data for one person to make an accurate judgment about how often people are judged by their good side or their bad side. That view might serve as a convenient tool for not looking at why we cause bad responses in other people. You can simply say: "That's how things are, people look more on the negative side of things.", instead of: "Why does my personal experience seem that way?".

It will look as if the world is biased, when in fact you are. (connection outer and inner world)

I see you entertain the Selfresponsibility belief system with good questions.

But well you can talk in another tread where your believe system has taken you

and talk about the Selfresponsibility and do a representation.

This Forum is awesome in the way than from time to time can derail a topic

but then go back to the topic has something lifefullness in it.

• Like 1

I'm not particularly pleased with this comment, my father was German and Jewish (Grandfather was German, grandmother Dutch Jew). I take offense when people tend to stereotype German's without really knowing much about the culture. I take offense with people who stereotype Jews as well, because of the same thing. I don't perceive a bias towards German tourists, anymore than I see a bias against American tourists. This just seems to be a trolling post to me, intentionally derogatory in order to incite an emotional response. Tsk. Tsk. I guess if you've been around long enough you can make an obviously bigoted post, without being chastised for it.

Aaron

It seems that I have hurt the knigge conversation rules: No Religon, No Politics, No Illness. But I ask me if you have expirienced Racism before. I have and they had dogs.

You may not think in sterotype but others may do. Also a bigoted post is different than mentioning a bigot in a context as an example.

• Like 2

It seems that I have hurt the knigge conversation rules: No Religon, No Politics, No Illness. But I ask me if you have expirienced Racism before. I have and they had dogs.

You may not think in sterotype but others may do. Also a bigoted post is different than mentioning a bigot in a context as an example.

Religion, politics and Illness is fine (though sometimes best started in the Off Topic area). Even insulting whole peoples can be acceptable if that is the topic of conversation. I.E. if the conversation is- Are Americans Too Materialistic; in that case yeah generalities and insults will fly and be acceptable because that's the topic.

But, if you have problems with another person here, its a poor move to bring up there nationality and/or religion and insult it. Even if you're that nationality. Its poor form. And being the same nationality and having experienced racism doesn't exempt you from that.

add on

On 2nd thought, maybe I misinterpreted it. What you meant was more of a We Germans..kind of message and I lost that angle in translation.

my bad

Michael

Edited by thelerner

Just for clarification: Personally I didn't find any statement insulting or derogatory. As usual, I simply provided my thoughts about the effects of making them.

(I don't see any benefit in feeling insulted, so why bother?)

Edited by Owledge
  • Like 1

Just for clarification: Personally I didn't find any statement insulting or derogatory. As usual, I simply provided my thoughts about the effects of making them.

(I don't see any benefit in feeling insulted, so why bother?)

Bravo!!

This statement comes from one who understands the virtue of magnanimity, a quality that all 'real' masters possess as second nature.

(Unfortunately, those 'masters' who have chosen to walk away from this forum (perhaps realizing that this site is full of incredibly sharp members who do not part with their dosh blindly), or those contemplating or threatening to walk away (due mainly to being lost on the art of stress management) seem to have it in short supply.

I know of a few masters who continually post here, yet have opted to remain 'faceless' - reasons being: they have perfect composure, are confident in their own skin, have no ulterior motives other than to banter (which i am sure they enjoy immensely as they are humans first and foremost), take a real interest in the lives and experiences of fellow beings, share in others' pain and rejoice with those who made breakthroughs, regardless in which area of their lives, and once in a while, share some gems of wit and wisdom which makes one go, "Ha! Thats brilliant!", yet, whether they get the acknowledgement (or not) seems not to make an iota of difference to their well-being and good-natured disposition.

Perhaps you (reading this) may also, upon reflection, come to remember who some of these real masters are. No need to name names - for one of the most basic trait demonstrated by true legends is the ability to be self-effacing... the less serious they take themselves, the more serious and deep will they be able to help others. Hence the saying, "To be truly happy, you must forget your self."

Real masters are those who simply appear at the most opportune time and say the perfect thing that you simply needed to hear right then, and thats it.

There are so many masters here.

All we need to do to actually recognize them is to emulate their total absence of self-absorbed importance, and they will appear to us in all their simple, profound glory.

Rock on! :D

Edited by C T
  • Like 1

Aw Mr Cow, now I feel like such a fake.

Please please please congratulate me also.

• Like 1

Aw Mr Cow, now I feel like such a fake.

Please please please congratulate me also.

If yer a fake K, yer the best fake K I ever ran into!

I think the cow is right, but maybe he gives people credit as individuals when it's the collective voice speaking through the individual that deserves the credit. I think that's a lot of what brings me back to Tao Bums, I want to hear that voice. Not to mention the very real information that folks have to offer; I have learned so much here, just lately about the movement/stillness and gift of Tao practice of Ya Mu- light in the tan-tian that grows and opens the channels, and heals others.

Anybody that puts their energy into the collective voice here is a part of something amazing, as far as I'm concerned, and contributes equally.

• Like 1

I totally forgot about the chat option! Oh man I need to start checking that out again.

Bravo!!

This statement comes from one who understands the virtue of magnanimity, a quality that all 'real' masters possess as second nature.

(Unfortunately, those 'masters' who have chosen to walk away from this forum (perhaps realizing that this site is full of incredibly sharp members who do not part with their dosh blindly), or those contemplating or threatening to walk away (due mainly to being lost on the art of stress management) seem to have it in short supply.

I know of a few masters who continually post here, yet have opted to remain 'faceless' - reasons being: they have perfect composure, are confident in their own skin, have no ulterior motives other than to banter (which i am sure they enjoy immensely as they are humans first and foremost), take a real interest in the lives and experiences of fellow beings, share in others' pain and rejoice with those who made breakthroughs, regardless in which area of their lives, and once in a while, share some gems of wit and wisdom which makes one go, "Ha! Thats brilliant!", yet, whether they get the acknowledgement (or not) seems not to make an iota of difference to their well-being and good-natured disposition.

Perhaps you (reading this) may also, upon reflection, come to remember who some of these real masters are. No need to name names - for one of the most basic trait demonstrated by true legends is the ability to be self-effacing... the less serious they take themselves, the more serious and deep will they be able to help others. Hence the saying, "To be truly happy, you must forget your self."

Real masters are those who simply appear at the most opportune time and say the perfect thing that you simply needed to hear right then, and thats it.

All we need to do to actually recognize them is to emulate their total absence of self-absorbed importance, and they will appear to us in all their simple, profound glory.

Rock on! :D

You mean your preferred perception of what a master should be. Saints and energy "masters" are totally different things. Even the religious institutions get it wrong. It's a common misconception on this forum, that someone who is skilled at energy manipulation must be also be some kind hearted "Jesus" type. When in fact, it is really often the opposite.

I'd suggest going to your local temple or church if you want to find someone to place on a pedestal, everyone else is only human. :lol:

• Like 4

You mean your preferred perception of what a master should be. Saints and energy "masters" are totally different things. Even the religious institutions get it wrong. It's a common misconception on this forum, that someone who is skilled at energy manipulation must be also be some kind hearted "Jesus" type. When in fact, it is really often the opposite.

I'd suggest going to your local temple or church if you want to find someone to place on a pedestal, everyone else is only human. :lol:

thanks for the kind suggestion.

I think this is a Western concept, in the East they would assume if someone had achieved a high level of energy practice, that they had also cultivated a mature attitude, simply because maturity is integral to the higher levels of practice. One cannot advance very far in practice if they lack emotional maturity and integrity. Even those practicing the so called "dark" practices (dim mak, white eyebrow, and white tiger as examples) required a great deal of emotional maturity in order to be able to maintain the control needed to channel the energy.

In America people practice Qigong for different reasons than most Asians do, as well. In part because we have do not value virtue because we are much more interested in the power aspect of the arts. Just my opinion and experience, please don't flame because of it.

Aaron

• Like 1

There's something my teacher told me, maybe it can inspire someone. I think it basically says that specialization can create imbalance. He was/is very much interested in martial arts, but not really in healing. Then someone told him that he doesn't have to be interested in the healing arts, he doesn't even have to like them, but he should at least get to know them. He also felt like he plateau'd with his martial arts skills. When he got to know the healing arts, his martial arts skills were raised to a new level. (And vica versa for healers.)

So if you are very good at something, and it seems like further progress becomes tedious or there is resistance, consider recreating balance instead, by widening the basis.

Edited by Owledge

hey you all.:)

Who is it that knows what balance and maturity in any given situation at any given time actually is?

What are the qualities that could be encompassed by 'balance' and 'maturity'...

how about huge irreverence, surreal jokes, stunned silence, tersity.... are these part of balance and maturity?

How about testiness, humorlessness, preciousness, pomposity... do they have a place?

How do we know?

Throw rhetorical questions in there somewhere, alongside literal mindedness, plus some cynicism, assumption making,accusatory high mindedness.. It's a stew of possibilities.

how do we know if we are being 'mature' and 'balanced'?

Is it when we feel that we are a glass of water, essentially, clear as a bell? So that we respond from a fresh clear openness?

Or ..what?! Is it an externallly imposed standard or an inner stance?

• Like 3

hey you all.:)

Who is it that knows what balance and maturity in any given situation at any given time actually is?

What are the qualities that could be encompassed by 'balance' and 'maturity'...

how about huge irreverence, surreal jokes, stunned silence, tersity.... are these part of balance and maturity?

How about testiness, humorlessness, preciousness, pomposity... do they have a place?

How do we know?

Throw rhetorical questions in there somewhere, alongside literal mindedness, plus some cynicism, assumption making,accusatory high mindedness.. It's a stew of possibilities.

Is it when we feel that we are a glass of water, essentially, clear as a bell? So that we respond from a fresh clear openness?

If someone has a wider compassionate intent you can assume it comes from a place of maturity, recognising that isn't always easy especially when it comes to tough love, but if someone is narcissistic then you can assume that stems from a lack of emotional maturity.

There are plenty of "masters" who I think lack emotional maturity because they put their own egoic needs ahead of the wider compassionate perspective. Oldgreen's thread talks about this quite well http://www.thetaobums.com/index.php?/topic/18274-spiritual-maturity/

By being sincere and then applying the definitions behind those words. Which, admittedly, are not necessarily so much about behavioral effects as they are about the inner process leading to those.

A while ago I came up with an interesting idea though:

Immaturity is fear

So-called "immature" behavior, being not the same as childish behavior, is that which is based on fears - more specifically those fears that are expected to be overcome at a certain more or less post-adolescent age. In ironic contrast, so-called childish behavior is rooted in not being afraid, more specifically not being afraid to show behavior that is stigmatized by society because it reminds many adults of how they aren't anymore.

It can be both.

All we need to do to actually recognize them

is to emulate their total absence of self-absorbed importance,

and they will appear to us in all their simple, profound glory.

How many masters are needed to make a forum awesome <_<

How many masters are needed to make a forum awesome <_<

0...jest call it da awesome bumz... :lol:

According to Nan Huai Chin all the energy manipulation, healing and siddhi type powers people can develop through practice are low level powers still within the desire level of development, so if they are still in the desire realm you shouldn't expect them to be particularly well emotionally developed.