eccentric215

Where does the inner journey begin

I know this is probably a highly personal question. It would all depend on what one is trying to find. But where would one start this path? What kind of things would one seek to understand? Realize I'm just out fishing for answers but any is appreciated. Thanks for dropping by.

Edited by eccentric215

Any journey begins exactly where you presently are with the first step.

In the case of the inner journey, I think a first question might be, "What is the essence of my inner self?" I think that most of us will find that our inner essence will differ in degrees from what we present to the world to see.

Then, of course, if you like what you see and find comport with your answers there would be no reason to go any further. But then, ...

• Like 3

Yes, beginning: wherever you want. I can only give advice on tools:

Be brutally honest to yourself. Treat yourself like a psychologist would treat a client. If you sincerely wish to understand things, it will happen. The most difficult challenge might be to maintain that sincerity.

You can also use that sincerity to learn about outside phenomena and then discovering the connection to inside phenomena.

There's that old saying, roughly: Know yourself and you will know the whole universe. Might also work the other way round. :lol: It's a probably endless process.

Again, it's really not that important HOW you do it as long as you are sincere and curious. I would call this the divine childlike nature. Also be aware. Use your current understanding for the observation of phenomena. Since every moment of your life presents something to learn, how much you learn depends a lot on how much awareness you cultivate.

I can give you a spoiler. :lol: Look for existential fears (fear of death) at the root of people's behavior, including your own.

I know this is probably a highly personal question. It would all depend on what one is trying to find. But where would one start this path? What kind of things would one seek to understand? Realize I'm just out fishing for answers but any is appreciated. Thanks for dropping by.

Talk to Ya Mu here on the forums, also the spring forest qigong level 1 course is worth buying. Chunyi lin is a great teacher. I posted my tips in the advance energy techniques thread.

• Like 2

I would say one of the best things to start with is awareness.

Start to pay attention to yourself - what you say, what you do, what choices you make, why you do this and not that.

How your actions affect others. How your actions affect you.

How do others view you and how that compares to how you view yourself.

How do people and situations make you feel?

Where do those reactions come from?

Etcetera, etcetera...

• Like 2

So true! Awareness is soo important! Awareness, awareness, awareness! :D

How many times did I say awareness?

Breathing in know that you are breathing in. Breathing out know that you are breathing out.

Right now, where ever you are at.

• Like 1

Like mh pointed out...there ourney begins with the very question.

Inner journey is like a labyrinth...there is no saying where a set of steps will take you...so pick a practice...be kind and compassionate to yourself...find out who you are by asking yourself...who am i?

• Like 1

Some of this will echo some of what has already been said.

The eternal question.

all depend on what one is trying to find.

Exactly.

Know that YOU DON'T KNOW.

Start with the step in front of you, not the one half a mile or more down the road.

How to discern the first step?

Practice, and experimentation. Of what? Awareness of you NOW where you are.

Find a teacher. You have to find someone to guide you. The level of interaction required will vary, but there is a real difference between submitting yourself to those that KNOW and from thinking you can find what you don't know without guidance.

Know that "teacher" can take many forms, and that a very real part of the journey is learning to recognise that WHICH YOU need to awaken and where it is or who has it, so to speak. Why do we need guidance? Because we lie to ourselves, we need a mirror.

Is this not the work itself? Awareness, presence, recognising the real and the false, discernment of who you are and where you are, and where you are going? And then go deeper.

Best,

Edited by snowmonki
  • Like 1

Why do we need guidance? Because we lie to ourselves, we need a mirror.

This process will probably only happen once you have the sincere wish to discover the lies you don't see. Otherwise you will just shatter the mirrors. And unless you really feel miserable, there will be no sincere wish to see the lies. Many people can more or less comfortably live with them. Probably less comfortably, but it can be handled, you know. Especially if you offload the suffering to other people.

be like your own psychologist, thats a good starting point, seek to know thyself.

Honestly, why do you want to be on this path, the path of Tao? The answer to that question is the answer to all your questions.