Hey,

I have asthma since last year and I tried everything I've learned to cure it: chi kung, meditation and other energetic and breathing exercises.

I try to avoid medicines, so what do you think - is there a taoist / chi kung exercise to heal my lungs?

(I'm wondering why I can't heal. You know, I've cured all of my illness during my "career", even tough ones, but now... it just don't work.)

Asthma can be tough to address, but it's absolutely doable. I think you'll find that you have better results with chi kung and the like if you couple them with a few other strategies.

First off, what are the contributing factors for you? Allergens, smoking, excessive stimulants or stress taxing your adrenals? I'm guessing a combination thereof.

The very first thing obviously is minimizing exposure to these things. Smoking (especially sticky green things) tends to undermine both the lungs and the adrenals, AND increases inflammation, so find an alternative if you indulge. Also, if you don't have a good HEPA filter, invest in one right away and run it a few times every week. I'm partial to those with built in ionizers.

If allergies play a part, figure out what your triggers are. Dust mites are the most common culprit and can be permanently addressed for about $100. Homeopathic nosodes and immuno-modulatory herbs work REALLY well for most of the common allergens, so give it some thought.

The second part is addressing inflammation. This is key, and there are many ways to do it. First of which is, make sure you are hydrated. If you're sure you're drinking enough water, try another source with a lower TDS and slightly more acidic PH. Staying fully hydrated is key to breaking the asthma cycle.

Additionally, you might begin taking some potent herbs to address both inflammation and augment the adrenal glands. I won't get into prescribing here, but check out some ayurvedic resources online - they have some of the better formulas for asthma. Personally, i think medicinal mushrooms are the ticket. i've had the best results with Chaga (Innonotus obliquous). It has powerful lung energy, is a crazy strong anti-inflammatory and contains steroidal compounds that accelerate healing. Best of all, it regulates the immune response and restores the protective energy of the lungs to a balanced state.

For short term relief, there are unique compounds in black tea that work well in high doses (ideally taken through a nebulizer). Coffee and chocolate are pretty good bronchio-dialators and will stop an attack also.

Last but not least - deep breathing. I had a bout of asthma myself a few years back, and the stuff i mentioned made a big difference. What ultimately cured it though was breathing itself. I hit a milestone in my training and it disappeared almost overnight. If you can find your way into 1 or 2 hours per day of meditation of some sort, with very fine & deep breathing, in time you'll see the results you're seeking.

-jamyang

Hey,

I have asthma since last year and I tried everything I've learned to cure it: chi kung, meditation and other energetic and breathing exercises.

I try to avoid medicines, so what do you think - is there a taoist / chi kung exercise to heal my lungs?

(I'm wondering why I can't heal. You know, I've cured all of my illness during my "career", even tough ones, but now... it just don't work.)

Edited by Jamyang Dorje
  • Like 4

nice post Jamyang Dorje.

also cordyceps and mullein, siberian ginseng. i was also told gecko but i have not tried it.

for me , my latest return to chi kung was forced due to lung function and thru chi kung and a few herbs

i increased my lung function 1000% in less than 3 years.

western medicine was useless and i doubt i ever return to a western Dr. unless a car accident or sth like that.

I know a couple kids who have basicaly stopped taking meds and inhalers after doing regular swimming, not really a Taoist practice, more breath control and accessory breathing muscles, unless there is something about the water element.

Hey,

If you had done chi kung, meditation and other energetic and breathing exercises, it should work. How did you do it and how often did you practice....???

wouldnt put it past water to be healing :D:lol:

You guys laugh but your insight is spot on!

There's a drowning karma that needs to be resolved; it's a karma of drowning others coming down from the ancestors. That's an energetic correction.

I also feel some weak energy around the wind. It feels to me like when it's windy, the asthma kicks up. Hurricane weakness, losing relatives and loved ones. There's also some spiritual grief and sadness mixed in there which needs to be deleted. Click, done.

As an anecdote, I recently worked on a friend with bad asthma. In her case, there was a crushing karma (like a building had fallen on her chest) coming from another time and space and the non-conscious spiritual programming. She got off the steroids and was much better the next day.

My wife had several bouts of exercise induced asthma. The answer there was her spiritual experiences of being chased by predators. In her case, it only happened when she was riding her bike.

Now that's some out of the box answers!

I agree about the triggers but not the causes.

You can test on the causes with muscle testing or applied kinesiology.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Applied_kinesiology

Or you can just feel if it's strong or weak.

I might add, those kids got better not just because of the exercise---the water itself had a lot to do with it.

Thanks to all of you! :)

I'll do my best. ;)

Hi there,

In the cycle of the 5 elements, Lungs are associated with Metal and Kidneys with Water.

In the creation cycle Metal nurtures the Kidney.

However if you have a Kidney Yin deficiency, it will drain the Lung energy (thus becoming Lung Deficient).

If you address Kidney Deficiency it will then allow the lung to recuperate.

So the lung problem may not be a lung problem, but a kidney defiency, leading to a lung weakness from the kidney "borrowing" too much from the lung.

Hi there,

In the cycle of the 5 elements, Lungs are associated with Metal and Kidneys with Water.

In the creation cycle Metal nurtures the Kidney.

However if you have a Kidney Yin deficiency, it will drain the Lung energy (thus becoming Lung Deficient).

If you address Kidney Deficiency it will then allow the lung to recuperate.

So the lung problem may not be a lung problem, but a kidney defiency, leading to a lung weakness from the kidney "borrowing" too much from the lung.

agreed. in my own experience i first tried to boost the kidney before i approached my lungs. some of the herbs i chose were beneficial to kidney and lung.

Edited by zerostao

You guys laugh but your insight is spot on!

Actually, you might want to consider the source and intent of my gigglefit... hehe gigglefit, i like that, it is a fun word... say it: gigglef- erhem...

Take into consideration that the Tao is in all our best interests, sometimes with gifts and good fortune, sometimes with tough love and examples to either follow or avoid. Consider that laughter is the best medicine. Consider that the truth takes adobe in our heart(s) and can be heard and listened to at any and all times at will, by the discretion of the individual. Consider that we all know everything there is to know about anything there is to know about, within reason of neceissity, and we call it intuition...

Consider that the obvious conclusion isnt something to laugh AT, but to laugh WITH :D

noting the 5 element cycle and the organs, there is a possibility, isnt there, that it could go beyond the kidneys? I do not know as much, but if the problem at the lungs traced from the metal to the earth or fire, wouldnt you also show signs of various other, related, health issues?

A friend of mine, i've mentioned once before, has almost every problem with her organs and body that a single body can harbor from heart to lung to stomach to nerve, sounds to me like a potential 8 pointed star in a 5 element system!

Actually, you might want to consider the source and intent of my gigglefit... hehe gigglefit, i like that, it is a fun word... say it: gigglef- erhem...

Take into consideration that the Tao is in all our best interests, sometimes with gifts and good fortune, sometimes with tough love and examples to either follow or avoid. Consider that laughter is the best medicine. Consider that the truth takes adobe in our heart(s) and can be heard and listened to at any and all times at will, by the discretion of the individual. Consider that we all know everything there is to know about anything there is to know about, within reason of neceissity, and we call it intuition...

Consider that the obvious conclusion isnt something to laugh AT, but to laugh WITH :D

noting the 5 element cycle and the organs, there is a possibility, isnt there, that it could go beyond the kidneys? I do not know as much, but if the problem at the lungs traced from the metal to the earth or fire, wouldnt you also show signs of various other, related, health issues?

A friend of mine, i've mentioned once before, has almost every problem with her organs and body that a single body can harbor from heart to lung to stomach to nerve, sounds to me like a potential 8 pointed star in a 5 element system!

I am not an expert, just a fellow student of the Arts and the last topic at the local group I attend just happened to be about Water element(Kidney). That's why I felt I could offer some kind of useful advice !

However I understand what you mean.