Tatsumaru

Is it me or Qigong is boring ?

I'm looking for something to happen. All I hear is students who erm... promote.. their so enlightened masters in New York and Alabama. People talking about shooting laser beams and discussing it with friends. I mean give me a break. It's obviously not real. You just want it to work out so bad that you lie to yourselves that you feel Qi vibrations when your bowels growl or that you feel electrical currents when your feet go numb from sitting on your ass for two hours doing this stupid meditation...

One thing you should understand when practicing any form of esoteric self-cultivation is that you are entering the realm of the Subtle rather than the Gross. It can seem boring at first but the subtle can be quite blissful and will reward you in a deeper way then anything from the gross sphere of life can if you give it a chance.

In the system of Chi-Gung i practice the teacher says that you should give the system about 100 days. Practice consistently and daily for 100 days and if you derive no benefits then throw it away...its of no use.

In your post it seems like your experimenting with Spring Forest without giving the system the adequate time and dedication that it needs. I challenge you too suspend your disbelief and practice for 1 hr everyday for 100 days. If you get no benefits then i will agree with you that the system is garbage and you should toss it out.

-My 2 cents, Peace

Edited by OldGreen
  • Like 1

When you are new, many many practices can seem boring beyond tears. Your sitting or standing there trying to do something, on faith or curiosity.

You read or heard somewhere that if you do certain practices something Interesting will happen. You will feel chi, leave your body or...

Now you are trying the practice and are starting to wonder if your info source was either lying or just deluded, wondering why the hell you are standing or sitting there doing this, when you could be doing just about anything else...

At this tender stage its weighing a strange practice with unknown and uncertain results VS having Sex, playing computer games, hanging with friends and any number of other awesome ways to spend ones time.

The decision is on you.

All I can say is I am damn glad that curiosity/faith won out when I was here in my teen years. I read so much about practices and energy, and peoples experiences of them that I just couldn't believe [faith]that they were all lying or deluded, and my curiosity just had to experience it all for myself.

So I was absolutely tenacious in learning to feel energy, and a host of other things...

I learned to feel energy, had out of body experiences, dialoged and communed with strange entities, been in two places at once, swapped bodies with a lover, experienced being everything, Helped heal people from 'incurable' diseases, pulled entities out of people, cursed my enemies {old days}, aquired desired experiences and Items via Magick, Met my future self, and experienced the Heights of bliss and the depths of utter depravity within my psyche, had massive and blissful heart openings, developed Internal skills I still have to this day.

And the friends and lovers I found on the way! Amazing people, big hearts, and some amazing capacities... Not a boring muggle amongst them. {excuse my Harry potter refrence, I just couldn't resist!}

As far as I am concerned, the experiences available in these realms are the best in the world and easily make up for the time Invested in gaining them.

Even more Important is that every experience [hopefully] makes you think and question, and serves to break down the edifice of conventional and domesticated reality that inhabits the minds of the mundanes, like a terminal possessing entity.

This eventually turns you Into a Philosopher. Not the dry academic kind, but in the real sense of the word. A vital and questioning lover and Seeker of Truth, willing to experience anything directly and then see what new questions arise. Willing to plumb the depths and the heights of ones being, and to take nothing on face value.

The seeds of a Philosopher may already be within you, as you have heard about an experience and are seeking it out to see for yourself...

What starts as a tiny seed may become something huge.

Blessings on you path.

• Like 4

I've tried to meditate on SFQ or Mantak Chia's techniques to awaken Qi or whatever and nothing happens. Is it me or this is just so boring...

Qigong and meditation are very boring, no question about it.

In the beginning.

For most people.

Boring is the awareness of the mind that desires more stimulation.

"It" is in control of "you"

You make the choice to practice Qigong because others talk it up.

But the mind won't let you, it's too busy with other things... more important things

Why does the mind always have to be thinking or doing or becoming something other than this, here, now...?

What is it like when the mind does not have stimulation?

What is it like when the mind becomes lighter and tranquil and less condensed with thought?

What potential does the mind-body have?

What possibilities exist when the attention and awareness can be focused with great skill?

How about when they are completely de-localized?

Infinite possibilities to explore within the mind and body and environment and how they inter-connect.

Lot's of cool stuff to explore but it takes a lot of patience and it is very boring.

In the beginning.

It's there for the taking.... or leaving.

Totally up to you.

• Like 1

When you are new, many many practices can seem boring beyond tears. Your sitting or standing there trying to do something, on faith or curiosity.

You read or heard somewhere that if you do certain practices something Interesting will happen. You will feel chi, leave your body or...

Now you are trying the practice and are starting to wonder if your info source was either lying or just deluded, wondering why the hell you are standing or sitting there doing this, when you could be doing just about anything else...

At this tender stage its weighing a strange practice with unknown and uncertain results VS having Sex, playing computer games, hanging with friends and any number of other awesome ways to spend ones time.

The decision is on you.

All I can say is I am damn glad that curiosity/faith won out when I was here in my teen years. I read so much about practices and energy, and peoples experiences of them that I just couldn't believe [faith]that they were all lying or deluded, and my curiosity just had to experience it all for myself.

So I was absolutely tenacious in learning to feel energy, and a host of other things...

I learned to feel energy, had out of body experiences, dialoged and communed with strange entities, been in two places at once, swapped bodies with a lover, experienced being everything, Helped heal people from 'incurable' diseases, pulled entities out of people, cursed my enemies {old days}, aquired desired experiences and Items via Magick, Met my future self, and experienced the Heights of bliss and the depths of utter depravity within my psyche, had massive and blissful heart openings, developed Internal skills I still have to this day.

And the friends and lovers I found on the way! Amazing people, big hearts, and some amazing capacities... Not a boring muggle amongst them. {excuse my Harry potter refrence, I just couldn't resist!}

As far as I am concerned, the experiences available in these realms are the best in the world and easily make up for the time Invested in gaining them.

Even more Important is that every experience [hopefully] makes you think and question, and serves to break down the edifice of conventional and domesticated reality that inhabits the minds of the mundanes, like a terminal possessing entity.

This eventually turns you Into a Philosopher. Not the dry academic kind, but in the real sense of the word. A vital and questioning lover and Seeker of Truth, willing to experience anything directly and then see what new questions arise. Willing to plumb the depths and the heights of ones being, and to take nothing on face value.

The seeds of a Philosopher may already be within you, as you have heard about an experience and are seeking it out to see for yourself...

What starts as a tiny seed may become something huge.

Blessings on you path.

That was eloquently put and shows perspective :) nice.

I like the term for it as "seeker", a philosopher of knowing of experience.

• Like 1

Does your practice include any work directly with a teacher/master or is it following materials?

I really did not do any meditation at first and through just practice in pairs and groups and then some alone acquired a strong sense of Qi in my body and another person's body. I did do some meditation later and experienced with lots of different ways to gain sensitivity to Qi but meditation is still a very small part of my practice. I expect it will become a larger part when the time shows itself. I am one of those types which follows what seems I am drawn towards. I guess in that sense, I avoid purposely and intentionally practicing anything which I perceive as boring.

When I want to (or am asked to) demonstrate to someone how to feel Qi within a matter of minutes, I never mention meditation; I just show them what to do. In fact, I would probably not tell someone to meditate that much as a beginner since I know it is not really necessary to acquire a sense of Qi. It seems if meditating is minimized then it may take longer to sense some things but one should have a good procedure they follow. One trick I learned was to meditate laying down 15 minutes at the end of a practice... This actually gave me the greatest sense of Qi in the beginning. The Qi would race all over my body, although during the practice it was only sparingly noticeable at all.

Even noodles require waiting for the water to boil. -_-

You are absolutely right. It would be a dire and excruciating situation unless one could do horse stance whilst waiting.

Horse stance makes everything more horse stance

You are so right. It's like YO! HORSE STANCE? WOT? HORSE STANCE! OH YEH< HORSE STANCE>!!!111111

• Like 2

It's definately not boring. It's the opposite. It's something you can 'do' or try to do in every moment of your life. It makes life fun. But thats at a more advanced level.

At the start just try to feel your emotions. You know love, kindness, anger, hate, gentleness, openess, sadness etc. Try to think of something that made you really angry. What REALLY pissed you off. Then just keep thinking about it, and thinking what the hell, how dare they do that. Keep spinning it around and around in your mind, get yourself all worked up. Then when you can feel that, double that feeling, and double it again. Keep doubling it untill you want to smash a hole in the wall. Feel the anger and the chi built up inside. You want to explode. Welcome to qigong :) Now you can't tell me you don't feel anything.

Now you can do the same with kindness or love or any feeling at all. Anger is easy but it's not as fun being angery as feeling loved up.

You know playing with my baby on the grass in summer, with the grass so green, the sky so blue and the clouds so wonderfully white, it is like unbeatable. Being in the moment is 100x better than watching the coolest scene of the coolest movie. The movie seems empty, the life experience is so rich.

Horse stance should be a type of pokemon

Horse stance is best pony?

By the way, I'm curious...I know horse stance from Wing Chun. Would you say that simply standing in horse stance for a period of time every day is an effective means of cultivation?

By the way, I'm curious...I know horse stance from Wing Chun. Would you say that simply standing in horse stance for a period of time every day is an effective means of cultivation?

hmmmmmmmmmm

Horse stance is mostly seen as a sort of an exercise, and so people are only looking forward towards the end result like stronger legs. People also seem to be meditating because they want something out of it. My horse stance is my meditative position but I don't expect much from it. I know there's like a billion benefits from it but I just let it become a part of my day and everything else becomes a surprise. It's kinda like a ritual now and though I'm doing the same thing, I get different things out of it. Try it for uh... extended periods of... months and see how it changes you.

Try not having sex for a while while doing qi gong.. give it a couple weeks.. you'll feel things, little vibrations here and there, some heat, some chills.. I mean you won't get any fireworks or anything, but pretty soon it starts to feel good. Then as you learn to calm the mind, you can go deeper and start to make progress.

A good question to ask is what sort of feelings are you trying to escape by seeking stimulation? What is boredom exactly? Who is it that is bored? Be curious.. inquire.. feel.

Edited by Sunya

hmmmmmmmmmm

Horse stance is mostly seen as a sort of an exercise, and so people are only looking forward towards the end result like stronger legs. People also seem to be meditating because they want something out of it. My horse stance is my meditative position but I don't expect much from it. I know there's like a billion benefits from it but I just let it become a part of my day and everything else becomes a surprise. It's kinda like a ritual now and though I'm doing the same thing, I get different things out of it. Try it for uh... extended periods of... months and see how it changes you.

Interesting. Curious, even.

I wonder how important method really is...

A good question to ask is what sort of feelings are you trying to escape by seeking stimulation? What is boredom exactly? Who is it that is bored? Be curious.. inquire.. feel.

Good questions. "Boredom" is often meant that one has "nothing to do", while meditation is often said to be "doing nothing". Seems quite at odds!

Boredom is actually experienced as pain in the body manifesting as restlessness. Sometimes I slip into meditation quite easily, other times I am restless and become "bored".

This is why a lifestyle of stimulation seeking makes meditating more difficult, because it trains the body to be at an equilibrium only when there is stimulation. Abstaining from external stimulation makes it easier to be sensitive to the inner world.

And yes, there is a period of adjustment that can be painful, much like people who are trying to be free from addictions.

• Like 1

The first obstacle to meditation is often the mind itself, telling you things like, "I'm bored", "I'm wasting time", "When will this be over?" etc.

The mind wants to be entertained, engaged, stimulated. At least initially, it does not want to be forced to remain quiet. That said, in meditation you are in the process of controlling the mind and all of it's complaints and logical arguments on why you *should not* be doing the meditation.

Quieting the mind and gaining mastery over the mind is part of the process, goes with the territory. However, control over the mind is not an easy battle to win....it's a formidable foe. B)

So feelings of being bored, that nothing is happening, etc., is very common to people getting into meditation or certain quieter styles of qigong. Getting past that is the first obstacle. If one does this, there can be other obstacles that can be just as formidable that come along later.

You might try reading Pantanjali's ideas on this. His writings go into quite a bit of detail on the subject.

And then again, meditation and qigong are not for everyone.

• Like 1