Sign in to follow this  
Seth Ananda

Pine Needles and Hermit Survival tips!

Ask the squirrels

the squirrels in my backyard live in the walnut trees. i do throw them some other varieties of nuts

when i feel generous. i have actually had them tap on my bedroom window to encourage me to check and see if i have some extra nuts in the house.

dont tell everyone that laugh.gif the cat is still in the bag about how pine cone motifs are found in so many ancient art and why they were , and dont mention a dmt connection either! :wub:

It's my density destiny... I'm a Gen8West (to a bagua buff :):wub: ), my purpose in life is to set, upset, and shift the limit... so I can't start any major sh..t from scratch and in earnest (that's for the third trigram to undertake), but it's demanded of me that I hint at its whereabouts here and there. :P

It's my density destiny... I'm a Gen8West (to a bagua buff smile.gifwub.gif ), my purpose in life is to set, upset, and shift the limit... so I can't start any major sh..t from scratch and in earnest (that's for the third trigram to undertake), but it's demanded of me that I hint at its whereabouts here and there. tongue.gif

and you do it very well wub.gifsmile.gif

Hehe, thanks Taomeow, you always come through with the goods!

The most memorable forest meal I remember having {aside from once being forced to eat dog whilst on a survival camp} was Trout tickling then eating eating it raw for lunch like Smeagol in lord of the rings.

I got hunting and basic fishing down, including hunting with spears or bows, but I am wishing to know about foods that don't take time, so one can just meditate...

When I read about the hermit living on crushed pine needles, I thought, wow, seriously simple... The kidney thing is concerning though...

Tip from the forests of Norway:

I eat the spring shoots of pine trees raw. They taste bitter sweet and are abit sticky, but feels very fresh and they also have tonic qualities.

h

"massive amounts of magic ingredients"

"i overdosed and was fine" what the ???laugh.gif " high as can be! "(naturally of course)

"high as can be , cant state that enuff"

"moving right along"

"its nuts!" nope its pollen , pine nuts is also recommended

"we need, we need"

"it tastes like the forest" wub.gif

"you can see i have been eating this"

"tinctures are more powerful" i always say this!!tongue.gif

"however, i am not a doctor" meaningful disclosure

"i really like this stuff, it is like whew"

"kinda looks like gold"

"unlocks peak physical and mental health" i would add spiritual

"he likes it"

BUT, why buy it if you can easily find and harvest it yourself?? (and tincture it too)

"this is a lovely pine tree"

"there is the gold, it is in there"

"cool"

The Foxfire Books are old, but very good for survivalist stuff.

I think I'd eat lots of things before pine needles. I think most aggregate berries are safe, wild grapes, apples or cherries. All parts of clover and dandelion are edible. Cattail shoots and roots, tiger lily flowers ( I put day lily petals on pizza last summer, I am weird, the pizza was good and very pretty) or bulbs, violets, roses. Morels are way tasty, but mushrooms in general scary to try. I think White Oak acorns bland and mealy and are the ones Indians ground to make a flour, all acorns are edible, but some of the others are very bitter tasting. Walnuts, hickory nuts and butternuts are some work to get the edible part, but good.

The Foxfire Books are old, but very good for survivalist stuff.

I think I'd eat lots of things before pine needles. I think most aggregate berries are safe, wild grapes, apples or cherries. All parts of clover and dandelion are edible. Cattail shoots and roots, tiger lily flowers ( I put day lily petals on pizza last summer, I am weird, the pizza was good and very pretty) or bulbs, violets, roses. Morels are way tasty, but mushrooms in general scary to try. I think White Oak acorns bland and mealy and are the ones Indians ground to make a flour, all acorns are edible, but some of the others are very bitter tasting. Walnuts, hickory nuts and butternuts are some work to get the edible part, but good.

i will never forget when in the arkansas woods i discovered muscadine. wow i hung out with those the better part of that day. i can only find morels maybe a couple of days out of the year. but yeah they are tasty. so many herbs also available but many think of them as scary too. and now i have my own gogi patches out. dine on the wild side.

mmm...fermenting things from the woods could be it's own topic- muscadine and elderberry wines. Hard cider is an old time staple, was allowed even during Prohibition, the farmers needed a way to preserve their apple crop.

mmm...fermenting things from the woods could be it's own topic- muscadine and elderberry wines. Hard cider is an old time staple, was allowed even during Prohibition, the farmers needed a way to preserve their apple crop.

here in my neck of the woods of appalachia we generally ignore such things as prohibitions. hard cider

is good for ya.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Real-Food/2007-10-01/How-to-Make-Hard-Cider.aspx

always been a goal of mine (not yet fulfilled) to make muscadine wine. i have made elderberry.

its good for ya too. but there is something about that elderberry i cant quite put my finger on......

http://www.wineryadventures.com/Health%20Benefits%20of%20Elderberry%20Wine.htm

wine on the wild side laugh.gif

its good to be wild

i have heard it is finer in caroliner? fo sho nothing quite so fine as dandelion wine

newsbreak, its good for ya

http://www.calmmindpainfreebody.com/gardening/dandelions/dandelions.html

folks use common sense , do not gather your dandelions from areas that have used pesticides or weed killers.

ponders pine wine unsure.giflaugh.gif

Hmnn, uh, if I pull the needles off any old conifer/evergreen and boil it up for tea, am I safe? Or is a species by species thing, some are edible, even good tasting, others are poisonous?

Going further, I pick out a random evergreen, I take it I should use newer, greener needles?

Thanks

Michael

I did find out that hemlock the poisonous plant is a small poisonous plant that is completely different from hemlock the evergreen tree. Still doesn't seem like a good idea to eat parts of a tree called hemlock though.

Sign in to follow this