Thunder_Gooch

I think I've lost it

Another thing that Usanians say that Ukers dont is "you're funny", as a response to humour. That would be considered as epic fail, banterwise, here, to bring self consciousness into something flowing.

FRANK!!! :wub: "too marvellous for words" is language I understand..

I guess we take "you're funny" as a compliment and not at all self conscious about it.

Isnt it interesting?! We could compare language usage for hours, mYTHmAKER, we just need a nice bottle of wine and some Frank in the background. :wub:

nobody should ever bore a cat. heinous!

Let's hope that the 'no way provided to say it' doesnt result in 'no way to think it' or worse, 'no way to perceive it'...

Alas, that's exactly the case, far as I can tell. There's no word for "privacy" in Russian, e.g.. (I'm almost sure there's no such word in Chinese either.) This can have monumental cultural implications both ways, I mean, having such a word or not having it. An even bigger problem is an abundance of words that refer to made-up nonexistencies. They stand for something that isn't. Their only function is to mess up everyone's perceptions and they do a very good job, consistently. But worst of all are abbreviations. A historian once noted that every civilization that is about to go violent, totalitarian, or collapse starts using many abbreviations. They are symptomatic of major disconnections between phenomena, perceptions, and language used to describe them. Abbreviations don't have a feeling/sensing counterpart resonating with anything tangible or subtle anywhere in the human psyche, on top of being meta-symbolic. Meta-symbolism is usually bad news. Reality twice (or more) removed. Everybody losing touch. The Roman empire in decline is where they invented them I think, but I would have to check on Mesopotamia before asserting it with certainty.

Another thing that Usanians say that Ukers dont is "you're funny", as a response to humour. That would be considered as epic fail, banterwise, here, to bring self consciousness into something flowing.

British tolerance for subtlety and ambiguity is way higher than USAnian. The islanders don't mind it when things are implied, if not prefer it. Americans insist on everything being spelled out, like in a legal contract.

Alas, that's exactly the case, far as I can tell. There's no word for "privacy" in Russian, e.g.. (I'm almost sure there's no such word in Chinese either.) This can have monumental cultural implications both ways, I mean, having such a word or not having it. An even bigger problem is an abundance of words that refer to made-up nonexistencies. They stand for something that isn't. Their only function is to mess up everyone's perceptions and they do a very good job, consistently. But worst of all are abbreviations. A historian once noted that every civilization that is about to go violent, totalitarian, or collapse starts using many abbreviations. They are symptomatic of major disconnections between phenomena, perceptions, and language used to describe them. Abbreviations don't have a feeling/sensing counterpart resonating with anything tangible or subtle anywhere in the human psyche, on top of being meta-symbolic. Meta-symbolism is usually bad news. Reality twice (or more) removed. Everybody losing touch. The Roman empire in decline is where they invented them I think, but I would have to check on Mesopotamia before asserting it with certainty.

British tolerance for subtlety and ambiguity is way higher than USAnian. The islanders don't mind it when things are implied, if not prefer it. Americans insist on everything being spelled out, like in a legal contract.

TM, I have a feeling you noticed I didnt say anything concrete about the implications of USAnian language usage. What with me an islander and all... Yes. I find it very alarming.

wine and frank?

naw , whisky and hank - yep hank sinatra

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=JerF26-pqlo

hA! what on earth happened to the pronunciation of 'ruined'?!?!? funny bizniz. that was interesting, thanks. They pronounce 'Flour' correctly!

hank? how you get 'hank' from 'francis'?!

whisky, yeh, I'll take that too, please.

I guess we take "you're funny" as a compliment and not at all self conscious about it.

Yer. A few of you (:-)) have asked me what I mean when I say it, so either I'm saying it foreign or there's something up with yous understanding it :wub:

Ah yes, not to be confabulated with the "There's no Russian word for 'freedom'" thing.

Meh, personally, I've found the USAians (did you know they hate that word BTW?) to say they want "clear" and when I do, meh, not so much desire there for it. Language is a connivence, a "are you like me and if so how much" kind of thing. Master too many languages and one becomes suspect. Sometimes it is better just being "too much" I think. I suspect it allows you some freedoms they wouldn't dare consider for themselves.

Ah yes, not to be confabulated with the "There's no Russian word for 'freedom'" thing.

Meh, personally, I've found the USAians (did you know they hate that word BTW?) to say they want "clear" and when I do, meh, not so much desire there for it. Language is a connivence, a "are you like me and if so how much" kind of thing. Master too many languages and one becomes suspect. Sometimes it is better just being "too much" I think. I suspect it allows you some freedoms they wouldn't dare consider for themselves.

This thread is the first time i heard the word USAians. Makes me feel Like I'm from outer space LOL

How do you pronounce it.

• Like 1

I know probably after reading this you guys will think I've lost my mind, maybe I have. I just woke up from an in between sleep/waking state in which I was meditating in my dream.

When I woke up my body felt like I was covered in pounds of a black tar, a deep humming and vibration was so loud I could barely hear anything else, and it was like I was moving in slow motion.

Literally when I tried to bend down towards the ground I felt resistance that acted against gravity.

There were red lights coating the inside of the walls like they were glowing red, and reality fluctuated for about 5 seconds in which reality reacted to my thoughts, the cats in the house started going absolute bat shit.

I wasn't anywhere near an area where dishes fell and broke, nor were the cats on the counter to knock them off.

The other person here where I am staying woke up as well as if having a nightmare.

I am still pretty shaken up, I am still biting my finger to try and determine if I am dreaming.

Not sure what to make of it.

MPG,

I had a very similar experience a couple years ago. I believe some type of entity was feeding off of me at night. It was like being wrapped in a shadow coccoon and paralyzed. Absolutely terrifying, and it was feeding off the fear. I was cultivating pretty heavily, and instinctlively knew what to do one night. I kinda of "allowed" this thing to attach itself to me as usual. Then instead of panicking, I calmy began reciting/vibrating a buddhist mantra. Whatever this was, I could feel it begin to panic and become terrified itself. I mean this thing was really freaking out on a primal level, but it couldn't get away. I kept reciting the mantra and this thing exploded/disintegrated. Never saw it again.

• Like 1

This thread is the first time i heard the word USAians. Makes me feel Like I'm from outer space LOL

How do you pronounce it.

:lol:

You're funny!

• Like 2

How do you pronounce it.

i say it as "you-essians". But like I said, they don't like it. The other Americans prefer to be called by the name of their country (or tribe if aborginal) so I think it's mainly used to be snarky about some Americans. Not all of them by any means. There's also a more critical aspect to it but I won't get into it here. It really is pretty derogatory.

i say it as "you-essians". But like I said, they don't like it. The other Americans prefer to be called by the name of their country (or tribe if aborginal) so I think it's mainly used to be snarky about some Americans. Not all of them by any means. There's also a more critical aspect to it but I won't get into it here. It really is pretty derogatory.

I think I'm an American as i pay taxes.

I know for sure I'm a manhattanite

Like lower - middle or upper you-essians :)

I started seeing someone and she spent the night, she experienced the same things I did again, without me coaching her or telling her about my experience. I played it off like she had a bad dream but when she told me what she experienced it was the exact same thing I had.

It seems to manifest only in the state in between waking and sleeping.

Not sure what to make of a hallucination that affects more than one person.

The night this happened there were tons of tornadoes in my area, an area that rarely gets tornadoes.

Lots of local businesses were destroyed.

"Epic fail" is a good example of how disregard for correct language makes language become more and more illogical, creating misunderstandings, and ironically, making it necessary to talk for ages just to clear up misunderstandings. It is short-sighted thinking - saving a little time now and offloading the burden to later times. It's like in a production line where not fixing a mistake now will have grave consequences later.

I like this guy's commentary on the matter:

http://thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=epic

:lol:

I especially like the inclusion of Taoist wisdom when he says: "If everything is epic, nothing is epic."

And equaling "Americans" with US citizens is a result of national arrogance. I think it's a helpful exercise to find words that refer to US citizens only. E.g. you could use one analogue to "aussie": "ussie". Then again, don't go overboard with abbreviations. It could lead to "abma" - abbreviation madness. :lol:

Edited by Owledge

MPG,

I had a very similar experience a couple years ago. I believe some type of entity was feeding off of me at night. It was like being wrapped in a shadow coccoon and paralyzed. Absolutely terrifying, and it was feeding off the fear. I was cultivating pretty heavily, and instinctlively knew what to do one night. I kinda of "allowed" this thing to attach itself to me as usual. Then instead of panicking, I calmy began reciting/vibrating a buddhist mantra. Whatever this was, I could feel it begin to panic and become terrified itself. I mean this thing was really freaking out on a primal level, but it couldn't get away. I kept reciting the mantra and this thing exploded/disintegrated. Never saw it again.

That's wild!

I have had sleep paralysis 'hallucinations' many times. It is usually somewhat negative and very intense.

Edited by oildrops