Sign in to follow this  
awake

How to be at ease with the feeling of blood pumping & heart beating

I have to say, it's currently quite unnerving..

I feel my heart beat, I feel my blood pump, I worry it means I'm going to die (no, guy, that means you're living! haha.. theoretically, I get it)

I begin to stress, it eases me to know it is I who is beating my heart, but only to a point.

I somehow have this sense that I need to become more aware of it, and alongside this is the recognition that it will happen only when I can be at ease with it.

I also notice I am creating tension in my left pectoral muscles, it is not the other way around, that I am tense and I thus feel this, in fact I am more acutely aware of it when I am relaxed.

I don't drink coffee, this happens whether or not I drink tea (which I just started getting into, but I've felt this since before that), and the frequency with which I exercise has no noticeable affect on this.

I've been to a doctor, and have been told my heart rate, blood pressure are normal.

What can you really tell me to put me at ease? "Atta boy, you're becoming more aware" I don't know, please help.

I've been to a doctor, and have been told my heart rate, blood pressure are normal.
If you've not been to a doc of Chinese medicine, I suggest it. :)
  • Like 2

I feel my heart beat, I feel my blood pump, I worry it means I'm going to die (no, guy, that means you're living! haha.. theoretically, I get it)

It is perfectly normal to feel things like the heart beating stronger or blood pumping etc. as one gets into a more relaxed state. Sometimes if we go into a really relaxed state certain normal functions within may seem very amplified or at least come more into our awareness, but this is just a change of perception due to our being in a somewhat altered state of consciousness. You say a medical doctor has checked you out and told you that your heart rate and blood pressure are normal. It would seem you have nothing to worry about. :) The imagination can easily lead us astray if we let it...

Edited by The Way Is Virtue

"Atta boy, you're becoming more aware" :)

Really, it's a great thing! Focusing on the pulse of blood in a vein is one of the quickest meditations I know, for arriving at nonduality. Enjoy!

Practice simple forms of Qi Gong. You will get a better grasp of the feeling of circulation, it will slow your pulse, and allow you channel that energy throughout your body in a healing manner.

A good one that I started with is Five Treasures Qi Gong. You can find a good demo online.

Best :)

I have to say, it's currently quite unnerving..

What can you really tell me to put me at ease? "Atta boy, you're becoming more aware" I don't know, please help.

You already knew the answer to your own question. Young man...!!!

1. (no, guy, that means you're living! haha.. theoretically, I get it)

2. I've been to a doctor, and have been told my heart rate, blood pressure are normal.

You are the one, only the one, who can put your mind at ease. Why don't you ready something, on the internet, how to heart functions...??? You'll find out that your heart beats on its own as long as you eat and breathe.

Edited by ChiDragon

I remember having a strong feeling of the blood pumping and heartbeat pulsating, especially in the face, after periods of long meditation practice.

It would keep returning each time I meditated and although it didn't bother me very much, it did make me curious as to why this is happening and I would look for reasons. I thought "more equanimity" perhaps would fix it. hehe.

Ironically it went away after taking a few days break from my meditation practice.

I get this too when I become still.

EDIT: IF I'm paying attention.

B.K. Frantzis talks about how you can actually control your bloodflow with practice. It interrupts my damn breathing though lol. All of a sudden I start feeling this very ood circular motion I have to move. My breathing and heartbeat are out of sync apparently when that happens.

Edited by InfinityTruth

The blood pressure can fluctuate significantly over time. Blood pumping and heart beating - these symptoms can indicate on high blood pressure. If you can afford, you can buy BP monitor (around $100) and take your numbers yourself. If you go to the doctor, they take your BP and it is normal at their measure, they will be very sceptical to the idea there are periods of high BP. Very few people can feel high BP, majority just feel something funny.

Keep this in mind- you have ALWAYS felt your heart beating and blood pumping. But your brain has pushed it to the background. Kind of like how people who live in crowded cities can sleep even with loud traffic outside the window, while someone not used to it will be unable to rest.

You have physically felt your heart and blood your entire life, just as the city dweller physically hears all the sounds outside.

You have up until now relegated it to the background. The brain has designated it a non-threat. Duh, because it's your own body!

For some reason you have gone through some process in which you have consciously or subconsciously deduced that it is somehow bothering you. Don't. It's not real.

Get back to reality. Nothing has changed. You've just looked under the hood. Don't let the look of your engine scare you away from your ferrari :)

Edited by Sloppy Zhang

Sign in to follow this