Non

How to create the real dan-tien?

Oh, people

All this talk about creating dan-tien. Did you know that there was no such thing as dan-tien...??? The term was created for the convenience of locating certain parts of the body. The upper, middle, lower part of the body are equivalent to the upper, middle, lower dan-tien. Please, dan-tien is only a location on your body. It was not created from practicing some kind of whatever. ;)

Edited by ChiDragon
  • Like 1

This is simple. At a Ya Mu seminar he had us holding our hands against our lower belly when we sat in meditation. I sit in half lotus so it meant moving my hands a few inches from where they'd rest on my lap/knee to against my dantien.

I've grown to like it. It gives me a better feeling for my center.

My hand position has changed over time. In my early years I'd keep a formal Zen hand position. I've dropped that (mostly) for a relaxed, more natural hands gently crossed on my 'lap'. Now I keep them relaxed and against my dan tien.

• Like 1

Cauldron is a cooking ware. As I said before, dan-tien is only a given name for a location on your body.

Edited by ChiDragon

"But alas, most people don't actually have a lower field! In the beginning, it's only a concept, a position somewhere inside the lower abdomen."

Yes, no matter how you look at it. It was only conceptual. I do agree that there is also a language barrier. However, it is not on my part because I am really dealing with the direct contents from its origin. Maybe it would be wise for me not to participate in the discussion of this thread.

Methods (describing http://imos-journal.net/?p=1554) fill dan-tien post-heaven energy qi, it's called the "false dan-tien"

Create "real dan-tien" can only alchemy practices when use Ming methods, practice above has nothing general with them.

so which practices?

I thought 'filling dantien' was an alchemical practice..

Edited by Non

Hmm language barrier? It is in the title "How to create a real dantien as opposed to just Xia Tian" by the topic creator. It is known that the Dantien are places

and also known for Qigong (And well the common idea is to create a Dan there).

My main teacher took his glasses down and look into my body and asked,

he said that they are already there when I ask him about creating a Dantien.

The idea of "creating a Dantien" is only known by me from the Longmenpai

and the Wu Liu Pai in which Golden Path seem to agree that one has to be created.

http://taijidandao.blogspot.com/

Quote:

"For those of you who have learned Yin Xian Fa before, which spirit do you think you are using ;) ? (3) During daoyin, one always hear something like "focus on the lower field", "bring the qi to the lower field" etc. But alas, most people don't actually have a lower field! In the beginning, it's only a concept, a position somewhere inside the lower abdomen. Then you might start to get some sensations inside your abdomen, maybe heat or some vague feelings. And finally a true lower field is a perfect spherical void that has a "cross" in it, the cross being the intersection of two neigong lines that need to be "carved out" with specific methods. (For those who know Chinese characters, a circle with a cross inside is the ancient character for a farming field (Tian 田) and this is where the name lower field (Xia Tian 下田) and Elixir Field (Dantian 丹田) come from. So hopefully this explains why we work on similar practices every time."

Q

ah

so this is the only way to creat the 'true dan-tien'. hm. wish I could have those "methods" obviously, if it's not such a natural thing to have a 'real dan-tien' since it needs to be created.

ah

so this is the only way to creat the 'true dan-tien'. hm. wish I could have those "methods" obviously, if it's not such a natural thing to have a 'real dan-tien' since it needs to be created.

I like that first description, Non- like Chen Man-Ch'ing in "Thirteen Chapters" (the Wile translation, page 17): "with this method of circulating the ch'i, it overflows into the sinews, reaches the bone marrow, fills the diaphragm, and manifests in the skin and hair." Chen says that the way to get the ch'i to sink to the tan-t'ien is to relax the entire body, then relax the chest.

Myself, I focus on reciprocal innervation, the way the activity generated by fascial stretch tends to balance from side to side and shift around in the body. If I relax, I can recognize the effect of aversion and attachment on the occurrence of consciousness, and let the sense of location effect activity. I agree that there is a relaxation associated with the chest, though I experience it as a necessity to engage support from the pelvis vertically up the spine on inhalation, and from pelvis horizontally on exhalation, just in order to realize the particular movement of breath as it takes place. I play with that every sitting, just about, and with the reciprocation between the extensors and the psoas.

Here's what I keep in mind, helps me to throw things away and relax:

"Simply by being where we are, we can come to forget the self. The sense of place engenders an ability to feel, and each thing we feel enters into the sense of place- even before we know it."

Like Foyan said, two sicknesses, looking for a mule while riding a mule, and riding a mule unable to get off. Better not to get on the mule, he said; mind with the tan-t'ien (as Chen Man-ch'ing recommended for health), if the mind is with the tan-t'ien- otherwise, mind where the mind is.

I'm pretty good on paper! ;)

Hi, an ordinary man/human being does not has the true dan-tien. You will not find describing method about it.

All the rest is speculation, it not related to real practice.

Also I have written about it here

Is it a secret or something? Must it be a "hermetically sealed" practice that has to be kept secret? Can it be dangerous used in the wrong hands?

Or perhaps.. it cannot be truly described because it is more an experiential thing.. just like Tao.

Edited by Non

I like that first description, Non- like Chen Man-Ch'ing in "Thirteen Chapters" (the Wile translation, page 17): "with this method of circulating the ch'i, it overflows into the sinews, reaches the bone marrow, fills the diaphragm, and manifests in the skin and hair." Chen says that the way to get the ch'i to sink to the tan-t'ien is to relax the entire body, then relax the chest.

Myself, I focus on reciprocal innervation, the way the activity generated by fascial stretch tends to balance from side to side and shift around in the body. If I relax, I can recognize the effect of aversion and attachment on the occurrence of consciousness, and let the sense of location effect activity. I agree that there is a relaxation associated with the chest, though I experience it as a necessity to engage support from the pelvis vertically up the spine on inhalation, and from pelvis horizontally on exhalation, just in order to realize the particular movement of breath as it takes place. I play with that every sitting, just about, and with the reciprocation between the extensors and the psoas.

Here's what I keep in mind, helps me to throw things away and relax:

"Simply by being where we are, we can come to forget the self. The sense of place engenders an ability to feel, and each thing we feel enters into the sense of place- even before we know it."

Like Foyan said, two sicknesses, looking for a mule while riding a mule, and riding a mule unable to get off. Better not to get on the mule, he said; mind with the tan-t'ien (as Chen Man-ch'ing recommended for health), if the mind is with the tan-t'ien- otherwise, mind where the mind is.

I'm pretty good on paper! ;)

Yet Nan Huai Chin has stated that if you meditate on the lower tan-tien too much your intestines will become enlarged and you'll get that 'bloated' look'.

Lost my paper train of thought down the Tao Bums sink... oh well!

Maybe the tan-t'ien is the place where the sense of pitch, yaw, and roll associated with consciousness gets its bearing; seems like my mind ends up in the tan-t'ien more when I look to set up mindfulness of my dynamic in three dimensions.

Edited by Mark Foote

everyone already has a dantien what are u guys talking about creating one?

im assuming your talking LTD

this is vital for your survival... it collects sun energy you need to live. its like an organ, you dont create it..

Edited by MooNiNite

everyone already has a dantien what are u guys talking about creating one?

im assuming your talking LTD

this is vital for your survival... it collects sun energy you need to live. its like an organ, you dont create it..

Yes Moonlite,

actually everyone has Dantien, even all three.

I have asked one of my teachers, he took

his glasses of and look inside and he was

shrugging his shoulders telling me

"You have three".

Then there is the cultivated Dantien

which is the created Dantien.

Michael Lomax who at this moment

giving Seminar in Missouri do this

for the people there.

Another way is by carving a Dantien

which is done in the Longmenpai

with much - actually all selfeffort.

Or as I understand is to do Taoist Yoga

by Charles Luck (Ask Phytagorasfulllotus

he will lecture you about it)

A real dantien is like a supercomputer

compared to a calculator.

You can say a barren land you can put

everything to grow there and maybe not,

but on farming land the field is cared

and done to put one thing there to grow

and prepare the earth that it grows

becomes big and gives rich harvest.

• Like 2

I would really like to learn more about this whole subject. I have an impression that the Hindu nadi system and the Daoist channel system come together with the "true dantian" and the kanda (root/bulb).

Does this sound right?

There are some cross correlations but honestly it's best not to mix these different contexts as it can confuse matters and even cause deviations in practice. There's plenty of scope within each of these systems, so it's best to stick to one when you're engaging in practice. Can be fun to think about though :)

Regarding dantien - it's a common term but in most cases when we talk about it, we actually mean XIANtien - the lower field. The dan is created durning advanced alchemical practices. When a teacher activates your xiantien, it does not mean you've created dan. Again it's nothing to worry about until you get to doing alchemy.