RongzomFan

Seth Ananda please teach me about kundalini

I have had the pleasure of Learning several versions all with slight variations and only some 'under oath' so to speak so here goes... [my favourite and the version I teach]

Inhale, ujay or that slight rasping restricted epiglottis, darth vader breath:

Mind - at beginning of inhale start at tip of Tail bone, move mind during Inhale up the back of your spine [towards the skin] over the head, [just under the skull on top of the brain] and finish Inhale at Brow centre.

Body - at start of Inhale squeez pc [moolabhanda][and hold till exhale], when the energy passes abdomen draw in stomach muscles[udiyanabhanda] {navel toward spine} [hold till exhale], when energy reaches skull, pull chin towards chest [jalnabhanda] put tongue back into soft palate [kechari mudra], point eyes up and in at ajna, and focus there, take an extra sniff of air [to be full] and focus and hold without strain.

Exhale, ssss kind of soft serpent noise, so obviously your tongue moves forward.

Mind - At start of exhale, it passes from brow, in along the underside of the brain to brainstem, and over the rest of the exhale it passes down the smooth front side of the spine [towards the organs] and ends with the exhale at the tip of the spine.

Body - just before you start the exhale, tip your head slightly back opening the throat lock, then as soon as you start the exhale relax all the Bhanda's completly.

towards the end of the exhale, as the energy is sinking down, let your head return to a normal straight position on your shoulders.

You may notice thats its path is a bit like the MCO's but around the spine and brain instead. The front and back chanel of the spine are a 'secret' version of Ida and Pingala.

Its a lot to get at once at first.

Try remembering 'Inhale 123'

The 123 are the locks in succession over the course of the Inhale. 1Base, 2stomach, 3neck/tounge

And the whole thing should be done in a gentle way, without tension, or relaxed as possible.

I may end up in a shit storm for putting this online, but I have not betrayed any groups secrets by teaching this version of the Cobra Breath. Thanks for asking Cat, I have been annoyed that this wonderful technique can not be found on line.

That said, do be careful with it. At least at first do not do more that 20 - 30 breaths a session [unless you really feel you should, lol] while you are getting used to it.

Once you are used to it, you can add devotional mantra's or visualisations, especially as you come to a point where your relaxation lets you hold your breath [easily] for a long time.

Students usually start with brow center as the focus, but the crown is Introduced later. The 3rd eye gets used to connect to specific deity's or Guru's, or to create worldly events by visualising them strongly.

The Crown gets used to merge with the One.

Blessings on your practice!

Seth.

Thank you very much for sharing this practice with us! :D

I know a similar exercise as part of Temple Style Tai Chi Nei kung with almost all of the details you explained here, so I guess your exercise is very effective.

But could you please explain why you refer to 1.contracting the sphincter muscles, 2.drawing in the abdomen and 3.pulling chin toward chest/pulling tongue to palate as "bandhas" or "locks". What shall these details do? Squeezing the energy up the spine like fluid or so? How does that work?

I learned the details without the infos what they actually do...

"Ram Dass" describes his brief encounter with Muktananda in his fantastic new book, "Be Love Now." In it, he got the impression that Muktananda was very powerful - but had chosen the path of power over the path of love. Which he believed his own satguru, Shri Neem Karoli "Maharaj-ji" Baba, had chosen instead.

This tends to square up with various rumored accounts of Muktananda's habitual indiscretions. Not to totally discredit him - just noting that while he had accomplished a lot, he still had some work left to do.

I wish I could have met either guru - and would love to meet Mark Griffin too! So, are his sadhanas open-invite to people who have to fly in, or what? How does he handle out-of-towners? Does he have special workshops for those? I'd really like to experience his transmission in person as well! B)

eh... it's really not that simple. it never is. i've articulated my stance on Muktananda and his "flaws" elsewhere, so i won't get into it much here, but i will say that it is unskillful to judge ANYONE solely in the light of their most obvious flaws. we are more than just the sum of those flaws. and "power vs love" is a bit of a false dichotomy. i think Baba's love and devotion is indisputable. and i think, as with ALL Siddhas, his power is undeniable. to seek the powers that awaken and break through the veils of ignorance & illusion, and to seek powerful masters that embody those powers does not in any way imply an abandonment of love.

besides, Ram Dass's 'brief encounter' doesn't even begin to trump Muktananda's lifetime of work.

and yes, Hard Light is totally open-door. anyone can come and attend a Thursday evening sit or one of the monthly intensives. and people who are unable to fly in can audio stream it over the internet. Mark doesn't have an Ashram in LA or anything, so he doesn't house visitors, but the people in the sangha are so friendly that by my 2nd or 3rd visit people were offering to let me crash at their place before heading back up to Sacramento. but for the most part, you're responsible for your own lodging unless or until you make some friends.

if you ever decide to go when i'm going to be there, i'll certainly see what i can do.

eh... it's really not that simple. it never is. i've articulated my stance on Muktananda and his "flaws" elsewhere, so i won't get into it much here, but i will say that it is unskillful to judge ANYONE solely in the light of their most obvious flaws. we are more than just the sum of those flaws. and "power vs love" is a bit of a false dichotomy. i think Baba's love and devotion is indisputable. and i think, as with ALL Siddhas, his power is undeniable. to seek the powers that awaken and break through the veils of ignorance & illusion, and to seek powerful masters that embody those powers does not in any way imply an abandonment of love.

besides, Ram Dass's 'brief encounter' doesn't even begin to trump Muktananda's lifetime of work.

and yes, Hard Light is totally open-door. anyone can come and attend a Thursday evening sit or one of the monthly intensives. and people who are unable to fly in can audio stream it over the internet. Mark doesn't have an Ashram in LA or anything, so he doesn't house visitors, but the people in the sangha are so friendly that by my 2nd or 3rd visit people were offering to let me crash at their place before heading back up to Sacramento. but for the most part, you're responsible for your own lodging unless or until you make some friends.

if you ever decide to go when i'm going to be there, i'll certainly see what i can do.

Set-han-Hundun..it is not difficult to fall in love with you

:)

• Like 1

Points taken - I have no problem only taking whatever is useful from any person, no matter how flawed (who's not?).

Cool, here is his calendar of events. Looks like most of his programs are regularly set in LA, with a few out in some other places. Would definitely be VERY cool to meet you too if I happen to be able to make it out there! B)

The June 24-26 Retreat in Kripalu, Stockbridge, MA sounds interesting though since it's a full 3 days...hm.

Wow, what's up with the exorbitant room rates there, though?

1310571797_cat82_pricing_allotherprograms.jpg

$95/night for a DORM room with a HALL bath??? I can get a dorm room with private bath in China for $9 USD or a hotel room here for less! :blink:

Edited by vortex

This thread has been dead for a bit now but I just wanted to thank everyone for their contributions! A lot of great stuff that I am finding very helpful; big shout out to Seth for the meditation run through, much appreciated! Sorry I don't have much to add, I am hoping that just bumping this thread will help out a couple more newbies like myself! Thanks Again everyone.

Thanks for bringing it back to life :-)

I read through it again and recalled a chat I had with Hundun a while back. I know he's showering praise on his teacher Mark but I found him (Hundun) pretty 'something'. I don't think we discussed 'sprituality' even and post our 'meeting' I was awash with what I can only describe as more "loving feeling" than I'd ever known prior.

I went to see the link about Mark that Creation had posted. I found it kind of strange that a 'project' to 'awaken' as many people possible would be instated.

Hundun, Seth, others what's your take on this 'project'? There are so many different 'projects' for us all, it seems to me :-) I'm getting yey close to annoyed with all of them:-)

Edit: Project name "what I’m calling the Catalina Project "

Edited by -K-
  • Like 1

Argh! such convoluted questions...

First for some background, my K awakening was not In a traditional school, but happened when I was 19 as a result of doing at least 6 hours of meditation a day, without fail, for many many months, possibly close to a year at that time, but I can not remember exactly. I had also been doing long fasts, and locking myself away to pray, chant and meditate for days/weeks at a time without ceasing.

I had no guidance, and do not know where I got the energy for the extremes I put myself through. I was very Inspired by Yogananda's book. All the meditations I did were from books I had read.

I have described the details of the awakening elsewhere, so to be quick I had an utterly mind expanding, Life and personality transforming experience over 6 months, that ended in psychosis. I recovered.

Later that year I found a Kashmir Shavite Tantra school from Muktananda's Linage, [that was not related to gurumayai] and studied there extensively. I became good friends with the teacher, and eventually started teaching for him and helping run workshops. We lived together for a few years, and ran the K support groups. I did teacher training under him several times and now do some of the training of new teachers there.

Very Inspiring stuff, thanks for sharing :)

Edited by OldGreen

I found it kind of strange that a 'project' to 'awaken' as many people possible would be instated.

Hundun, Seth, others what's your take on this 'project'? There are so many different 'projects' for us all, it seems to me :-) I'm getting yey close to annoyed with all of them:-)

Care to elaborate? I'm not sure what you are talking about. Mark's catchphrase "Shaktipat on sight" perhaps?

--

Re-reading Hundun's report on his experience with Mark had a strong effect on my energy body. I have been studying with Mark for ~6 months now, and have not had any kind of fireworks happen yet. A handful of times I started to get a taste of extreme (by my standards) bliss, but I tensed up and resisted it, and it faded before it even got going. I've heard that there are women who can't have orgasms for that reason. Maybe I should look into what they do about it.

Edited by Creation

I've heard that there are women who can't have orgasms for that reason. Maybe I should look into what they do about it.

There's much to learn from women's orgasms :ninja:

Care to elaborate? I'm not sure what you are talking about. Mark's catchphrase "Shaktipat on sight" perhaps?

--

Re-reading Hundun's report on his experience with Mark had a strong effect on my energy body. I have been studying with Mark for ~6 months now, and have not had any kind of fireworks happen yet. A handful of times I started to get a taste of extreme (by my standards) bliss, but I tensed up and resisted it, and it faded before it even got going. I've heard that there are women who can't have orgasms for that reason. Maybe I should look into what they do about it.

I'm referring to the interview with Mark, if you read it further down.

Before y'all get hot under the coller about energetic release and/vs orgasm, I'd read Ken Wilbur, a bit of Foucault (because it's really tough reading), Reich, and our (my) favourite Drew Hempel. And snowmonki here knows the stuff:-) As does Witch, but she hadn't formalized her ability last time I checked.

Point being, release and surrender is release and surrender and if you're feeling it "more" somewhere that then causes you to lockdown then it ain't really release and surrender. None of the bums seem to get all iffy when their heart puts out, do they?

Edit: I hadn't forgotten Trunk but he doesn't seem to make it quite as "evident" as some of the others i mentioned. Sorry Trunk!

Edited by -K-

I'm referring to the interview with Mark, if you read it further down.

Before y'all get hot under the coller about energetic release and/vs orgasm, I'd read Ken Wilbur, a bit of Foucault (because it's really tough reading), Reich, and our (my) favourite Drew Hempel. And snowmonki here knows the stuff:-) As does Witch, but she hadn't formalized her ability last time I checked.

Point being, release and surrender is release and surrender and if you're feeling it "more" somewhere that then causes you to lockdown then it ain't really release and surrender. None of the bums seem to get all iffy when their heart puts out, do they?

I am having a really tough time understanding you -K-. Have you had a major energetic shift recently?

I mean that is quite a varied group of authors (did you mean Ken Wilber, by the way?). Which works would I want to read, and why those authors? As for your second paragraph, I seriously have no idea what you are talking about.

Independent of any talk of energetic release, or orgasm, my experience has been that when things start feeling good, I clamp down on it. I think it is a control issue.

Shift?

Maybe. Hopefully you meant it was a "good" thing:-)

Ok, the reason I referred to all of those authors (some of whom I am happy to count as TTB's and I do include "authoring" texts and websites as "authors":-)) is because MY reading of them was that they were the clearest and most coherent stuff i could read about kundalini and development of awareness (and consequences of the latter) that i could get my paws on.

I chose to link them all together because they (mostly) lined up with my own experiences. Also, they were not scary K stories. There are lots of those:-) I guess i chose my reading:-) I suppose i should have been more pointed about that when referring them (for other people it might be other stuff).

BTW, no-one is obliged to go through unwanted altered states and there's nothing wrong with being in control (or mastery even:-))

My 2cts

Thanks for bringing it back to life :-)

I read through it again and recalled a chat I had with Hundun a while back. I know he's showering praise on his teacher Mark but I found him (Hundun) pretty 'something'. I don't think we discussed 'sprituality' even and post our 'meeting' I was awash with what I can only describe as more "loving feeling" than I'd ever known prior.

:wub:

that's beautiful. and that's the Grace of the lineage. before Mark, that kind of thing never happened, except with great effort and intention. whenever i contemplate Mark, Muktananda, or the Siddha Loka, i find myself awash in that same loving feeling.

I went to see the link about Mark that Creation had posted. I found it kind of strange that a 'project' to 'awaken' as many people possible would be instated.

i think maybe you're just getting hung up on the "project" word.

FROM THE ARTICLE:

...what I euphemistically call the Catalina Project, which is the aggressive program of transmissions aimed at civilians, meaning students, everyday people. And the only sustaining power for people is winning their faith and trust, in that they will continue to participate. In other words, they will continue to show up and involve themselves. In doing so, they define themselves as continuously game, and down for the process.

so, the way that i read that, if not for his undertaking this so-called project, only a handful of people would have ever had access to him as a teacher. he recognizes that not everyone who meets with him is capable of receiving him, just like in the 70's when not everyone was capable of receiving Muktananda the way that he was. the project is simply the commitment to bring the teaching, and to bring the transmission without dilution, and to allow the individual to decide for themselves what they receive and what they can handle.

i don't even do that. i've still got too much ego or whatever, but it bothers me to see people who are basically spiritual tourists, chasing after the holiest of holies, hoping to catch a high or see something neat, and not the least bit ready to become a genuine student or disciple. i don't give away the most precious essences so easily, and i figure i don't have to. if the students are genuinely ready and capable, the energy itself will make that clear to both of us.

that was the attitude of my last qigong master. he taught many people various "exercises," but he taught very few people actual qigong.

a lot of us who study with Mark feel that same way. if we could, we'd keep him to ourselves! :lol: and yet, if not for his openness, many of us would never have found him. *SHRUGS* :blush:

two words: RECKLESS ABANDON. :) hold nothing back. ALL IN! there's nothing worth holding onto. there is nothing that you CAN hold onto that won't inevitably be lost to the fires of time, anyway. so give it up. everything that you have to lose will eventually be lost. that's a truth that you can trust. maybe the lineage is not for you, or maybe you're just not ready, but it makes little since to seek his presence and then resist him. you can waste lifetimes in a pattern like that, and a lot of people do.

you don't need any special technique. just get naked. let your fear loosen you up rather than tighten you up. and if you can't handle that much vulnerability, i would have to ask what you are doing there.

embrace annihilation. it's the only way to be born again.

Edited by Hundun
  • Like 1

:wub:

you don't need any special technique. just get naked. let your fear loosen you up rather than tighten you up. and you can't handle that much vulnerability, i would have to ask what you are doing there.

embrace annihilation. it's the only way to be born again.

Beautiful... exactly how one releases anavamala...

OM... :)

• Like 1

Hey Seth, i saw u mentioned Shaking as a good practice. Was wondering if you could elaborate a bit on it in terms of the benefits and any tips on the practice.

Edited by OldGreen

Very Inspiring stuff, thanks for sharing :)

No problem OldGreen :)

Hundun will have some really good tips on shaking practice as well, as it is a practice dear to us both.

For me I like my shaking practice to be spontaneous, The way spontaneous chikung, Yigong, kunlun, and most of the Chinese variety's are Spontaneous.

To me that means you follows yourself, exactly as one feels in each moment.

That is quite different to Osho's Dynamic meditation or some of the African styles where you shake in a certain way, or Make your self shake continuously with effort.

There are a few reasons I prefer it spontaneous style.

1. Duration. When you are following your self, you are less likely to pull or strain a muscle. Getting fatigued is a natural part of any long session, and when you are following yourself, as you get puffed, you naturally slow down till it passes.

2. You get to know your body's intelligence very well. For every blockage, energy contaminant and emotion, there is the 'exact way' your body wants to release it, and you are free to do exactly that...

Now I am all for loud music and very long sessions. I line up three hours of crazy music with a variety of moods scapes in it, on my iPod [deliberate product placement, thanks Apple $$$] and get some friends together and shake...

I always start standing with groups, but since doing Kunlun and Yigong, I put a chair behind everyone so they can use the Yigong [full credit to Jenny Lamb] seated posture if they want... It can access the hips in a different way to standing which can be very useful. I still prefer standing, but sometimes the seated posture is just brilliant...

And the other important tip is vocal expression. This is the other way of shaking ones stuff... Every feeling/blockage/energy has a sound, so make that sound as it comes up..

In a group people are sometimes embarrassed, so I get them to express embarrassment as a noise. In long sessions, one may have periods when one feels like nothing is happening and is getting bored, so express the board noises, or the frustrated sounds at wanting something more interesting to happen, if there is a feeling, express it.

If it doesn't sound like a scene from the exorcist at least occasionally and you are not fully enlightened, lol, then you are practising in a defensive manner, protecting your 'stuff' so to speak. Get uninhibited... make a commitment to express physically and vocally, everything you feel in any given moment.

And last of all, chuck out my opinions and follow yourself! :)

As too the benefits...

Do a three hour session on sunday, and then you tell me ;)

But really, Its just great for the energy system. It helps your whole being unwind and de constrict.

If you are doing kundalini practices, it helps with every stage of that, from awakening it, to managing it, to letting it reach everywhere in your system. It free's up most blockages that K would hit, [as you get skilled at using it, and following yourself].

Regular practice is highly recommended, as it deepens, and you get better at using it...

It can function as an entity removal system with continued use.

As you get into it, you will start to have a massive current of energy moving through you, at least for the next few days after practice... A very potent and pure energy. If you do healing work, people will feel like you are nearly electrocuting them, and will feel done in a quarter of the time or less... It not really your energy either, its just your channels get so wide and open...

Another final observation. Let it have moments of feeling blatantly religious...

If you practice with the sense that you are opening up to the whole of life, Heavenly Chi or God, or that something greater, and try and surrender yourself to that, it brings the heart chakra and upper chakras online, and things can get pretty freaking amazing.

If you are a scientific materialist, it will still have good benefits, but it is pretty much just you shaking your lump of meat, and will more often than not stay within the realm of clearing blockages and emotions...

Any questions?

Have Fun!

Seth.

• Like 5

And the other important tip is vocal expression. This is the other way of shaking ones stuff... Every feeling/blockage/energy has a sound, so make that sound as it comes up..

In a group people are sometimes embarrassed, so I get them to express embarrassment as a noise. In long sessions, one may have periods when one feels like nothing is happening and is getting bored, so express the board noises, or the frustrated sounds at wanting something more interesting to happen, if there is a feeling, express it.

If it doesn't sound like a scene from the exorcist at least occasionally and you are not fully enlightened, lol, then you are practising in a defensive manner, protecting your 'stuff' so to speak. Get uninhibited... make a commitment to express physically and vocally, everything you feel in any given moment.

I have been engaging in the Shaking Practice for about 2 weeks now (Thank you Hundun for the much needed guidance). I have been setting aside an hour to an hour and a half each morning after some early morning prostrations to let loose and let natural qi flow take hold. Being new to the practice and Qigong in general I was really embarrassed to just let go, needless to say that I do this practice alone! It took me a couple session, but eventually it just happened; I finally just stopped trying so hard and really surrendered to myself, and wow was I surprised!

The reason I quote this piece of your post Seth is because expressing the sound was what finally did it for me. The things that come out sometimes sound a bit demonic; too tell you all the truth I feel as if sometimes I am speaking in tongues, but holy hell does it feel good! In just a matter of a couple weeks I have come to truly love this practice. It is something that really sets the standard for my day, and is something that is beginning to allow me to understand the importance of letting things happen the way they need to happen in all aspects of life. I am so grateful to have had this presented to me and will continue to just let go.

For those of you who are going to give it a try, I will piggy back off what Seth said...

Have Fun!
Edited by don_vedo
  • Like 3

Any other instructions for the shaking practice?

I tried this just now - relax, let everything go and just... shake. Good fun, I feel quite energised, more relaxed and the energy flow is definitely widened.

Doing this for 3 hours haha, thats quite a powerful session.

"i think maybe you're just getting hung up on the "project" word. "

Yeah, maybe, y'know paperclip, Manhattan...

If Mark is a Sat Guru and a siddha and such and the goal is to zap as many people as possible then, like Witch suggested, "something's up". Or maybe there have always been this many gurus and rogue waker-uppers and it has nothing to do with yugas or whatnots.

I'm just very very curious:-)

Love that quote! Embrace nihility close to the same thing?

Any other instructions for the shaking practice?

I tried this just now - relax, let everything go and just... shake. Good fun, I feel quite energised, more relaxed and the energy flow is definitely widened.

Doing this for 3 hours haha, thats quite a powerful session.

Cool :) now dont let my 3 hour thing freak you out... any practice is good practice, but I just find that the really good stuff happens in the longer ones... So if you just did 15 mins or half an hour a day, thats great but if you then felt good to start doing a weekly 3 hour session as well then all the shorter ones in the week are supported by, and build on the long one...

• Like 1

Love that quote! Embrace nihility close to the same thing?

Hmm, I am not sure how you mean that? There could be subtle similarities but some big differences as well :)