Apech

TTBs reputation System

Do you want a Reputation System  

35 members have voted

1. 2. Do you think that reputation scoring is a good idea?

2. 3. What would you use rating to express?

• Disagreement/agreement with the ideas in the post
    • The way the poster expresses themselves
    • To identify spamming
    • To identify trolling
    • Other (please post reason)
  3. 4. Would you agree to using the system consistently if guidance was given?

Well yes I kind of agree with the poster above who said this is getting a little obsessive (or words to that effect).

It is 70/30% against using the reputation system.

If it is used at all - people think it should be used for spamming, trolling and possibly the way people express themselves - and not as an assessment of content.

Even with a set of guidelines people do not want to use it.

Suggest it is switched off - or even better we individually and collectively exercise our will and don't use it/ ignore it.

I think this thread should be locked now - there's always the other one if you want to carry on.

Thanks for voting.

No. I want to focus on the fact that a person can (and already did) get a very large negative "reputation" here, and then a moderator will snarkily announce "looks like the reputation system is working" and add some sarcastic emoticons, to further drive the point home that the person sucks...

Scotty get your facts right before throwing accusations around ... if you are going to quote me then quote me properly or not at all.

OK chaps, settle on with the insults or I will start swinging my paddy-whacker without prejudice :D

I think it's interesting to see the reputation system at work here. You can check on your rep by clicking on your name and viewing your profile :ph34r::D

<-- Moderation Team -->

I said it was "interesting" and to me and how I use the phrase it is purely neutral. To be truthful it was a light-hearted comment without malice. Read into it however you want to as you obviously have. But I certainly do most sincerely apologize that my usage of words allowed for misinterpretations.

:)

Is there a difference between the two?

looks like the reputation system is working

vs

I think it's interesting to see the reputation system at work here.

To be truthful it was a light-hearted comment without malice.

You two were having a somewhat heated discussion at the time. So I call BS.

Is there a difference between the two?

looks like the reputation system is working

vs

I think it's interesting to see the reputation system at work here.

You two were having a somewhat heated discussion at the time. So I call BS.

You are entirely welcome to view it however you wish.

:D

This kind of attitude is judgmental and uncaring.

I would like to think I enjoy how people act, without being judgmental and uncaring. Because it IS fun to watch what people do, especially if you like group dynamics. Groups give rise to unusual behaviour and interesting phenomena, anonymous groups even more so.

Discussion forums are almost like a 21st centaury version of an ant farm.

I would like to think I enjoy how people act, without being judgmental and uncaring. Because it IS fun to watch what people do, especially if you like group dynamics. Groups give rise to unusual behaviour and interesting phenomena, anonymous groups even more so.

Yes it can be interesting to see them at work.

You wouldn't want to watch us when there is a group of me gathered together.

I guess you view the forum members as ants? Ants are part of an insect collective i.e, hive mind. Humans do at times exhibit a hive mind dynamic. However, humans are able to individuate, have evolved higher brain functions and therefor be independent from the group. I disagree with your assessment!

I guess you view the forum members as ants? Ants are part of an insect collective i.e, hive mind. Humans do at times exhibit a hive mind dynamic. However, humans are able to individuate, have evolved higher brain functions and therefor be independent from the group. I disagree with your assessment!

No, I no not view forum members as ants. An ant farm gave people the opportunity to observe social interactions that would not normal be seen. I feel discussion groups also allow the same opportunity to observe social interactions. As does going to a club or sporting even and watching people. I love to people watch, you see some really unusual things.

And that's where group dynamics is so interesting because it helps to explain why humans in groups often behave like they have no higher brain functions :lol: There are several well known experimental situations where people do not behave as an independent rational individual.

At work being the operative phrase.

Lets take a look at the work/ant angle.

Now aside from the rather interesting analogies the sub-conscious throws up which can be quite revealing, lets' think about the actual web site/business angle.

Although most are happily oblivious to the fact that when they post they are actually working it would be perhaps be nice to 'enlighten' them...poor little worker ants that we are.

A web site is ranked, the higher the rank obviously the higher the value. Every time someone posts they are providing content, after a couple of months usually the web spiders pick up the new pages and they are added into the search engine.

Obviously the higher the rank the more you can charge for advertising. Obviously running any business requires money, and certainly there's nothing wrong with wanting to make money, not from my perspective anyway.

But here's the rub, aside from trying to add a bit of 'spin', a reputation system IS diametrically opposed to the spirit/principles of Daoism. Now, were this a site on 'baking cakes' I rather doubt anyone would care...who could argue, it would go almost unnoticed, it may even be considered helpful. BUT this is not a website on baking cakes.

It's all very well to say 'oh we just kind of thought we'd sought of try out this cool new widget' but please realize your insulting a great many peoples intelligence with this. Months ago Sean asked the moderators to step up the moderation to create higher quality content; personally I have no problem with this to some degree, it's understandable from a business perspective. As to moderating decisions made, I'm sure there were some good ones and some bad ones... that is life. The reputation system is part of an ongoing clean-up, any fool(such as myself)can see it wasn't a random isolated decision.

My problem really is that it is resentful that people would insinuate that certain other people do not have a mind of their own, and ever so subtly put them down, attempting to shut them up in order to push the agenda in a certain direction. It's interesting that this website has become a macrocosm of society; a bit of spin here, the odd downplaying of something there. And so it is when societies go into decline.

Personally, were I Sean, I would just tell everyone to ***k off and mind their own business(no pun intended)but then he would end up with no content, no content equals lower rank and lower rank equals less money(and yes I am aware that rank is related to many more things than just content).

Some people care about something enough to try to prevent decline, and yes, that's perhaps not very Dao, but then again, neither is a reputation system. So where does that leave us.

It is best to leave the worker ants their illusions that maybe one day they will get to f*** the queen, people like their illusions, people also like their principles, even if in the grand scheme of things they may be viewed as a bit silly.

http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/thetaobums.com#

'....it also appeals more to childless women earning between $30,000 and $60,000 who have attended college and browse from home.'

Where are these childless women???? Who knew?

'3 month 0.00069 +38%' (rank increase)

So the mods can give themselves a nice pat on the back.

Happy smiles all around

:) :) :) :) :) :) :)

You tried to type that one right quick didn't you, judging from the spelling mistakes :D;)

:P

'....it also appeals more to childless women earning between $30,000 and $60,000 who have attended college and browse from home.'

Where are these childless women???? Who knew?

The childless women are the ants, the childless men the uncles. (American accent required for this joke).

The childless women are the ants, the childless men the uncles. (American accent required for this joke).

Yeah, yeah, yeah.

So what are the motherless children?

My problem really is that it is resentful that people would insinuate that certain other people do not have a mind of their own, and ever so subtly put them down, attempting to shut them up in order to push the agenda in a certain direction.

If that's directed at me, then I apologize as I did not mean it as a putdown.

The time I spent at uni learning psychology gave me (IMO) an unusual set of tools and a thinking style that does effect how I view people. Both in real life and on the net. I also spent 6 years in sales. I usually avoid telling people I did psychology for the very reason NMTNMT stated, nobody likes to be analysed or objectified, and every time I try to put out this sort of concept it bites me in the ass and I wish I hadn't.

But group psychology is just as valid a way to interpret / predict behavior as a more individually focused approach like trait theory (Myers-Briggs Type Indicator etc)

The reason I try to explain this is (perhaps like Ralis ?) I didn't like the concept or implications of social psychology when I was exposed to it. I was into neurology, how the mechanics of the brain worked. People are highly complex individuals, how could something as simple as being in a group with others make ANY difference...... well it turned out it makes a WORLD of difference.

I found it so interesting and counterintuitive that I would have changed to social, except that lecturer was the head of the department and really scary, he once called us all pusillanimous and I think he was being nice at the time. While the neuro psych guy was calm and relaxed, as long as you could handle having electrodes stuck all over your head :lol:

But group psychology is just as valid a way to interpret / predict behavior as a more individually focused approach like trait theory (Myers-Briggs Type Indicator etc)

Good. And I will agree with you on this point.

I vote no to all of it.

TTB's doesn't need IMO no jumping on internet "2.0" train (also noted, the spammy emails I didn't opt in to :-))

IMO, if you do not concur with a post, say so. Not "pigeon-button-push" so.

I'ma a$$hole and I got lots of green points. I was happy about that. BAD idea :)

by whose standards would I determine ones reputation when my own reputation is always in question ~ now spurious stuff that may invade this site hopefully can be filtered out through some means.