island

Free Will

:P

But, you generally take my difference in path with a light heart, since we've already worked all that heaviness out it seems last year. Maybe not all, but plenty.

Hehehe. Yeah, thanks for reminding my of the good old days. Yes, we removed all the blockages so now we can travel our paths, bumppy though they sometimes might be, without any serious problems.

No, we will never remove them all but as long as we understand that we can keep moving.

Yes, we are both headed to the same place - the endless destination, we are just taking different paths. But still, sometimes they merge and we get to walk together for a while.

Peace & Love!

Yes, we are both headed to the same place - the endless destination, we are just taking different paths. But still, sometimes they merge and we get to walk together for a while.

Peace & Love!

:lol:

I like this... in a sense, quite true. ^_^

Intuition and intellect should serve each other. What people call intuition is generally conditioned by the subconscious. It takes a clear and meditative intellect to unravel these blockages or subtle identities.

A challenge is a great service, a test of ability.

A challenge is a great service, a test of ability.

This is true. Which is why in the Buddhist tradition, debate is given place as a practice, not as a waste of time. One can actually become more enlightened through debate. Even while typing here online. The ability to attain enlightenment is available anywhere and everywhere under any circumstance if the inner primary conditions of "view" are ripe and juicy.

This is true. Which is why in the Buddhist tradition, debate is given place as a practice, not as a waste of time. One can actually become more enlightened through debate. Even while typing here online. The ability to attain enlightenment is available anywhere and everywhere under any circumstance if the inner primary conditions of "view" are ripe and juicy.

This is why i Love you! We are two sides of the same coin i think.

But i see the "real" coin as being more multi-faceted and trans-dimensional. a "hypercube" is the best description i could give.

and yet somehow 2-D LOL :lol:

I think much of 'my 'enlightenment" has come about through debate and some arguments, but in a way saying such a thing is redundant when all experience leads into and of all other experience, which cultivates the mind and mentality.

We all find our own paths to our own places, but we never stay in any one place forever, as our very inherent nature is to seek out the "new", even though we know it all already-we become bored with what we focus on exclusively enough that "old" things become renewed.

But i see the "real" coin as being more multi-faceted and trans-dimensional. a "hypercube" is the best description i could give.

and yet somehow 2-D LOL :lol:

Cool... as long as you don't reify it... you should be fine! :lol:

We all find our own paths to our own places, but we never stay in any one place forever, as our very inherent nature is to seek out the "new", even though we know it all already-we become bored with what we focus on exclusively enough that "old" things become renewed.

Yes... all things are a new through evolution. This is why it's said that Samsara is Nirvana. As when Samsara is rightly cognized... the ever changing events are quite the joy to experience without the inner experience and dichotomy of good and bad experiences. When I say "right view"... I mean the viewless view of course. :lol:

This is true. Which is why in the Buddhist tradition, debate is given place as a practice, not as a waste of time.

I guess you don't work since you have all the time in the world to preach.

ralis

how bout an experiment. Tomorrow morning put on your shoes and don't tie them. Then stare at them. Is there any natural force forcing you to tie the right first or the left first? Can you freely will to tie the left first if you so will? Is there anything in nature forcing you to not be able to? ... How about tieing the right first? Can you will to do so and do so. Do you feel anything stopping you? Does the universe care and force you not to? ... Witness the power of free will ...

Hehehe. My free will is a little conditioned in this regard. After 20 years in the Army everything is always left, right, left, right ... if I do not consciously think about it.

But yes, I just stood up and took a first step with my right leg. Neat how free will works.

Like that one song by Dr. Hook teaching us how to do a new dance. They tell us to lift our right foot and wiggle our behind; now, lift your left foot; No, No, don't put your right foot down; keep it up; come on, now lift your left foot and "Levitate"!

Peace & Love!

Do we have a choice???

Hehehe Ha, Ha, Ha!!!

Apparently some of us did because there were other abstract concepts being discussed.

You did Great!!!!!

Peace & Love!

"how bout an experiment. Tomorrow morning put on your shoes and don't tie them. Then stare at them. Is there any natural force forcing you to tie the right first or the left first? Can you freely will to tie the left first if you so will?.."

Oh that's a good one

You should see my teeth on edge when I try stuff like that. Hilarious :lol:

Prasangha!

This is it!

No!

This isn't it?

No!

Since this is and isn't it you must explain!

No!

You understand that it is!

No!

Okay explain!

No!

Prasangha!

This is it!

No!

This isn't it?

No!

Since this is and isn't it you must explain!

No!

You understand that it is!

No!

Okay explain!

No!

Ah!!!

A perfect example of free will. (Totally lacking of logic but still ...) :D

Peace & Love!

Ah!!!

A perfect example of free will. (Totally lacking of logic but still ...) :D

Peace & Love!

On that line of thought, some happy noodle boy quotes:

"Well spank my ass and call me Debbie! Dare not defy my commands!! These hands!! I cant get them off my wrists!!!

"Hey, you cloud! C'mere!"

"Magical jellybeans are forming where the flies have landed! Hey stay away from my wallet!!"

"I thought it were a chigger but it werent no chigger! But it were!!! Spooky! So i ran!! HEY! You're not my dad!!!"

Hehehe. What more can I say that I have not already said?

Time to be silent and meditate.

Peace & Love!

Hehehe. What more can I say that I have not already said?

Time to be silent and meditate.

Peace & Love!

:lol: indeed!

I almost believe this thread should be pinned, simply because of how greatly i value the gift of free will, and all the entertaining and insightful responses this one has gathered! :lol:

Something i feel that we did not discuss sufficiently and will quote:

Free Will? Do we hve it? I don't know... I think that is a CHOICE.

I am a practitioner, follower, educator, and upholder of the "Law of Free Will", which is plainly and simply to respect the consenting will and/or willful consent of all individuals, lest you forsake any potentially inherent rights thereof to free will.

To reiterate:

That which you do unto others, you physically speak into effect as condoned treatment upon your own person.

I shall reiterate again:

That which i have done to you, i forsake any right to disallow you to inflict upon me.

The law of free will protects all individuals who give consent to protect and respect the free will of others.

Those who follow the law of free will earn the protection of free will by protecting the free wills of others who also follow the law of free will.

The law of free will is exempt to no one, exclusive to all but willing participants, cannot be enforced upon any unwilling individual, and is universally binding to all individuals who wish to own and operate any level of free will.

It is the idea of respecting free will, as a law above all laws....

OR should i start a new thread? :lol:

Edited by Stoner Shadow Wolf

:lol: indeed!

I almost believe this thread should be pinned, simply because of how greatly i value the gift of free will, and all the entertaining and insightful responses this one has gathered! :lol:

Hehehe. Well, you just bumped it up and now I am bumping it again so it will be in view for at least the next 24 hours.

Yes, there were some nice discussions in this thread and some wonderful ideas and opinions.

Peace & Love!

Hehehe. And we Philosophical Taoists believe in a self and strongly believe in 'free will'.

And BTW, Zoroastrianism, the first known mono-theistic religion, also defined 'free will' as the most important power of man. (We are free to do either good or evil. As initially established, the religion had only a god but had no devil. That would make it the first non-dualistic religion as well.)

Peace & Love!

I believe in free will also.  But the question:  Is everything "free will".  Do we have complete control over everything that is happening around us?

I believe in free will also.  But the question:  Is everything "free will".  Do we have complete control over everything that is happening around us?

Nope.  Free will is not absolute and never will be.  There are limits.  If we live within the limits of a society it will have laws and we much comply with those laws.

But still, free will within our external limits.

Back to Zoroasterianism, God created man and gave him free will but also charged him with the responsibility for all his thoughts, words and deeds.

So, free will is attached to responsibility.  We just can't do "anything" we want.  There are repercussions.  Yu know, cause and effect.

• Like 1

Consider a hypnotised person say, he thinks he is a donkey. It never occurs to him that something may be wrong with him. He behaves and justifies himself through a set of beliefs - data - and feels very free willed, with all the things he can do in a situation as a donkey personality.

To will, we have to think, to think we have to remember. To remember, we need to access data/memories. Well, data seems to be accessible with set of rules and is provided with a limit. Yes there is freedom to will within this set.