Sign in to follow this  
Franko760

The Tao of Pooh

Hello to those who are interested. The tao of pooh is one of my favorite books because it was how i found Taoism. I know i have yet to learn alot about taoism, but i hope to change that. So far i've learned that taoist believe in the natural beauty and use of everything. If i am mistaking, please do not hesitate to correct me. I look forward to conversating with anyone who wishes to.

Hello to those who are interested. The tao of pooh is one of my favorite books because it was how i found Taoism. I know i have yet to learn alot about taoism, but i hope to change that. So far i've learned that taoist believe in the natural beauty and use of everything. If i am mistaking, please do not hesitate to correct me. I look forward to conversating with anyone who wishes to.

Hi Franko,

I actually have not read "The Tao of Pooh" but I have heard good things about it.

What I highlighted above, in my opinion, is very true. Everything is Tao so there can be found beauty in all things. (People sometimes screw things up though.)

Peace & Love!

Hi Franko! I'm new to the site, but have started reading the Tao of Pooh. I'm not sure how this book club works, but just wanted to let you know.

Hi Franko & TaoLilly,

The book club works by, basically, discussing things we like about books :lol: The Tao of Pooh is such a commonly recommended book that I picked up a copy last year. I loved the pictures but have never had the time to really read it.

So I flipped a few pages and got captured by the Cottelston Pie chapter. I was going to do a quick summary, but it's a few pages long and I'm enjoying reading it. So I'm going to keep reading rather than writing.

Thus the failure of my clever plan, sooner rather than later in this case ;)

p.s. I'm not ignoring Marbelhead, I'm just being quite as I really should be reading journey to the west :lol:

hey there :)

The Tao Of Pooh really is a great book. I suggest reading it and then reading the real Winnie-The-Pooh books biggrin.gif

Btw, The Te Of Piglet turns a little too cynical, imo. Hoff spends a lot of time complaining about all the negativity he finds everywhere. Although, I haven't read it for, well, 15 years now? Maybe I'll go re-investigate it.

I love The Tao of Pooh! It introduced me to more Taoist ideas as well. It is a great book for Westerners as it uses something most are familiar with while presenting Taoism in an easy to understand and simple manner. I have read it many times as it is also a joy to read.

I made the phrase that I'm going to address bold, just for the sake of clarity. :D Anyway, it's been a while since I've read the Tao of Pooh, but I do love it for all the reasons already mentioned in the thread. But I think the "use of everything" phrase is inaccurate and should be modified, maybe, to "value of everything." There is a passage in the Chuang Tzu/Zhuangzi that mentions a tree that had grown to be very large and old. This was because the tree was "useless"--that is, it was so twisted and knotted that it couldn't be cut down to be used for anything. It couldn't be made into furniture, or arrows, or anything else that trees are used for. It is because of its uselessness that it was able to survive and grow so large. This, according to Chuang Chou, was a very good thing; according to his classic, one should strive to be useless, rather than useful, for the sake of self-preservation. Then again, the "useless" tree was used for shade, so in some ways, it was still useful. Just in an unconventional way that permitted self-preservation. But there is a general suspicion about "usefulness" in the Chuang Tzu, so I thought I would note it, again for clarity's sake. I can't remember if this is mentioned in any way in the Tao of Pooh, as I can't seem to find my copy at the moment, so maybe someone can help me out. :) But anyway, thought I'd add that thought to the discussion.

Did enjoy the Tao of Pooh very much. I actually forgot about the kind of stupid event preceding my reading it until now.

Really simple stories which explain the essence of Taoism.

That, the Tao Te Ching, and this Sayings of Dogen book are some of my favorite readings in Taoism/Zen.

Couldn't have said it better myself ! :blink:

Like several others, the TAO OF POOH and the slightly later TE OF PIGLET were my Introduction to Taoist thought. :wub:

Having re-read them several times since 1982 when my copies were first printed, I still enjoy them immensely. :D

Perhaps not Deep enough for some, but thought provoking nevertheless (IMHO). B)

Whilst discussing Pooh Bear recently, one of my Step Daughters mentioned this to me:

http://www.omg-facts.com/view/Facts/3997

Not sure I believe that AA Milnes "intention" was to categorise the different Mental Disorders for his young son Christopher Robin, or anybody else for that matter. But I'm seriously thinking of re-reading Winnie the Pooh out of curiosity, if nothing else.

Basher

Edited by Basher

The Tao of Pooh is a great book and I do recommend it for an intro. I actually reread Winnie the Pooh as one of my yearly repeat books although I always saw Pooh bear as a Buddha figure. Tao of Pooh was recommended when a teacher saw that on my drawing table along with art books and a few comics I had Winnie the Pooh and the Tao te ching.

As for Te of Pigglet well I lose enthusiasm in that book when I read a two page rant about microwaves.

so for me Tao of Pooh is a great intro although I prefer Winnie the Pooh and I kinda say skip te of pigglet and use the time to meditate instead.

I'm in the minority here. I disliked it. Thought it was too much pop culturish. I thought the author created overly manipulative stories to get his points across. But then, while I like Poo, I also like Rabbit and see all the characters as essential and purposely reflecting human character.

The author clearly had favorites, creating dialogues where Rabbit is the bad guy and Poo transcendent, whereas Poo being Poo is both wise and foolish, struggles along in hope and friendship.

Sign in to follow this