Fu_dog

Flying Phoenix Chi Kung

A heartfelt thanks to Sifu Terry for imparting FPCK to us and nothing but gratitude to to Earl Grey for sharing the intensive and rapid results of his practice, which gave me the impetus to jump back into the the exhilarating journey that is FPCK.

I have now practised for six days, missing one day, taking every available opportunity to practise. I too have noted dramatic results.

In Monk Gazing at the Moon, I see the energy and it confirms the accuracy of my posture. There is a lovely jet of qi pulsating regularly from between my fingers,upwards, as well as three different sounds. One vibrating hum, one higher pitch, and one that I would call the "sound of silence", which is more subtle but very present. I emphasise this because my hotel room is soundproof, being at one of Europe's largest airports. I hear a lot of latent snippets of talking too but that is not new as I am used to picking up environmental sound residue and random thoughts. I realise from my breathing that I am truly in a trance state when I practise.

Bending the Bows has released a huge block, the nasty abdominal pain I have been withstanding for the past 2 years. It was actually a massive bundle of intestinal gas. I carried on eliminating gas continuously for 12 hours and my body shape has visibly changed. I now have a waist again! I also have far more energy and a super-fast metabolism! For the first few days I felt something nasty "leaking" from my liver, and now my digestion, metabolism and elimination processes are amazingly speedy. I also practise FPCK with much more ease. Being able to bend again is very liberating!

I felt beforehand that something amazing was about to happen, and indeed it did.

There is also something else I realised, which is that the energy has an intelligence of its own and can be communicated with. One builds a relationship with it, like a lover one can't wait to spend at least a minute with. I cannot believe the sheer intelligence of the entire system.

All of this has happened exactly at the right time and place, like everything else does anyway, for that matter.

Also, I do believe you only get out of it what you put into it but most importantly, when you believe it you will experience it, there is no limit but in your mind.

Thanks again for this turning point in my life.

• Like 4

That's really interesting AB - had you noticed any of the FP meditations interacting with the blockage beforehand, or did it all just come undone at once? And did you notice any emotional changes along with the physical effects of the blockage releasing?

I've held off on practicing FP for a while because I have some blockages in the chest/shoulder which are aggravated by any more than mild energy flow, but maybe some of the FP Chi is exactly what I need to dissolve them. I'd really love to start practicing the system again - I enjoy my current training, but there's something profound and magical about the FP system which I've never found in any other system of meditation. But aggravating the blockages causes several days of powerful emotional release, which really interferes with my day to day life. 

• Like 1

That's really interesting AB - had you noticed any of the FP meditations interacting with the blockage beforehand, or did it all just come undone at once? And did you notice any emotional changes along with the physical effects of the blockage releasing?

I've held off on practicing FP for a while because I have some blockages in the chest/shoulder which are aggravated by any more than mild energy flow, but maybe some of the FP Chi is exactly what I need to dissolve them. I'd really love to start practicing the system again - I enjoy my current training, but there's something profound and magical about the FP system which I've never found in any other system of meditation. But aggravating the blockages causes several days of powerful emotional release, which really interferes with my day to day life.

Hi Aeran

Well actually I have had no emotional impact except that I feel more relaxation and my usual state of gratitude has been amplified. My meeting here at the hotel went very well and my interaction with my colleagues has been very gratifying and warm on a personal level. I have received excellent feedback regarding my work as well. I do believe the blockage I had was an old residue which was no longer needed, a true release from the past. I am in a peaceful plateau at the moment, adding to the sense of grateful satisfaction about my life in general, which peaked in the past week. I recently got a promotion and my family life could not be better so I really cannot complain.

In my humble opinion, FPCK is a very gentle and loving energy and will not give you more than you can take. I did force it a bit and I was not sorry. It was a bit hard physically and as well I took some time management risks to fit it in but it molded itself well in with no consequences. I think if it is easy, it is not needed. The healing has to be where the pain is. That much I learnt from Tui Na. You are designed for betterment anyway and the pain will come. So here you can apprehend it and flow with it, knowing you have the support of the energy. The shift is in your mind, to make it a therapeutic pain if it has to be a pain. Trusting that the process will leave you whole makes it much easier to bear too.

I have also experienced that aggravation can be a symptom of imminent release, generally in the healing equation.

But ultimately you know, inside yourself. From what you are saying, it seems you have answered your own question. I can only encourage you to take the leap and instead of resisting the flow of the emotion, observe it and let it go on its way without restraining it further. If it is a negative one, it has to feel that way, the only question is are you ready to let it go or not.

I don't know if I am on point, I am just going with my subjective viewpoint so please forgive me I am being presumptuous.

• Like 2

About "Falling Water":

Several years ago I shared on this thread my experiences of lucid dreaming and the exchange of "dream modalities" with a classmate and fellow FP Practitioner after our group did a guided  meditation and exercise at two remote locations under GM Doo Wai in the early 1990's.  Thus this comment about mind-control through the dream state is relevant to FP Qigong practice for it is a capability that can be attained through advanced practice.

The subject of mind-control through the dream state came to mind tonight while I was watching the pilot episode of the new tv series, "Falling Water." In trying to attract a mass tv audience with the kindergarten hook, "What if your dreams are trying to tell you something?", the show's producers are making much ado and creating hype over a very commonplace theme, precognitive dreams, that just isn't esoteric--certainly not for artists at least, nor for anyone who meditates properly.  But that's showbiz marketing.  So far, the show appears to be well written, acted, and directed. The one of several story lines where the heavy bearded guy wants to monitor the dreams of the female photographer who he thinks has an instinct for the archetypes of the collective subconscious in order to research (psychic) interconnectedness and then exploit "dream-control" for obviously evil purposes looks stupid and ludicrous to me.  For throughout human history there have always been strong psyches with the ability to invade weaker others' dreams or to mesmerize and control the behavior of a person in the waking state in broad daylight.  Psychic warfare methods were developed by the two superpowers back in the 80's.

If individuals with strong Will and psychic awareness (or "shen" as we say in Chinese yogic arts) choose to use control or influence their subjects' behavior by interfering with their dreams, then they are taking away free will and by definition are committing evil...and buying a ticket for themselves to Hell.  As Aleister Crowley put it in Book Four:

It cannot be too clearly understood that such is the nature of things:  it does not depend upon the will of any persons, however powerful or exalted; nor can Their force, the force of Their great oaths, avail against the weakest oath of the most trivial of beginners.

The attempt to interfere with the Magical Will of another person would be wicked, if it were not absurd.

One may attempt to build up a Will when before nothing existed but a chaois of whims; but once organization has taken place it is sacred.  As Blake says:  "Everything that lives is holy; and hence the creation of life is the most sacred of tasks.  It does not matter very much to the creator what it is that he creates;  there is room in the universe for both the spider and the fly. 

It is from the rubbish-heap of Choronzon that one selects the material for a god!

-- Book 4 by  Aleister Crowley (1913)

Several of my past high-level Chinese kung fu and Tai Chi masters who can teach their students telepathically across short distances (and usually within line of sight) can also communicate with them through the dream state.  Two have done so with me in the past.  Another teacher who has passed from this earthplane occasionally visits me in my dream state and teaches me how to handle strong evil adversaries on this plane while he works on them from the other side.

The ability to do communicate telepathically with others--in either waking state or dream state-- is simply developed by mastering the Mind through Yoga--any authentic system of Yoga from any culture properly taught by a genuine master.  Unfortunately, one of my early kung fu teachers in the 70's (who was mid-level), and one Tai Chi master in the 80's (who was very high level and potentially very dangerous)  did use their strong psychic powers to mesmerize and control others for their own ridiculously selfish and perverse purposes.  And both have a long stays in a deep circle in Hell as their karma.  For no matter how powerful or exalted, no one can escape who they are and what they do.

So, as one progresses in  Flying Phoenix Qigong practice and experiences the brain activation, the tangible reality of the FP Healing Energy, and the unlocking of latent psychic and healing ability, it is important to take to heart the admonition that Aleister Crowley clearly laid down  to protect the Dharma: 

"If your Work is not 100% given up to the Almighty, then it is black magic."

Sifu Terry Dunn

www.taichimania.com/chikung_catalog.html

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 3

Hello Sifu Terry Dunn,

I understood that FP qigong originates from a Daoist or Buddhist deity. Is it ok to practice FP while being involved into another religion like an Abrahamic religion?

Thanks

This is a question I find is asked frequently about Qigong in general. What I can say teaching different cultural and religious groups is that while Qigong may work with qi and can have either Buddhist or Taoist origin, one does NOT need to convert or change their spiritual beliefs so that they can practice qigong. If anything, I find my own students in the other qigong systems I taught became even more spiritual in their respective religion, whether they were Catholic or Muslim or Jewish. 

Sifu Terry may answer you with his own details on the matter if necessary, but I've never had anyone need to convert or change their religion to practice Qigong. So as a peer, I'll say you don't need to worry about conflict with your religion or needing to change it regardless of the Taoist and Buddhist origins of a system. 

• Like 1

I have encountered only a few diehard religious types who would not do qigong because Buddhists and Taoists are known to do chi kung and since they are Christians, this would be going against their religion.

Have these people realized that Buddhists and Taoists also eat food? Should these Christians then stop eating food because that is something that Buddhists and Taoists also do?

Edited by tao stillness
  • Like 3

I have encountered only a few diehard religious types who would not do qigong because Buddhists and Taoists are known to do chi kung and since they are Christians, this would be going against their religion.

Have these people realized that Buddhists and Taoists also eat food? Should these Christians then stop eating food because that is something that Buddhists and Taoists also do?

To be fair, it seems like it's a little more complicated than that in the case of the FP system. Most Qigong systems work with the energy which already exists within the body and the environment around us - you could think of it as, in essence, a kind of metaphysical technology. Combine X movement and Y breathing and Z Qi movement results. So the food analogy is somewhat valid, in that Qigong is only working with something which is already intimately involved in just the daily process of living.

And many of the Mystical sects of the Abrahamic religions work with similar practices (certain Sufi sects work heavily with energy centers and energy healing, and there are the Hesychasts of Greek Orthodox Christianity, just off the top of my head).

But FP was specifically taught to a Daoist monk by a Buddhist deity, if I recall Sifu Terry's explanation correctly, and the FP energy "trunk," from which the unique blue Qi which makes the system so effective is drawn (again, this is if I remember correctly, it's been a while since I read back in this thread), is somehow maintained, or at least connected to, the Buddhist monastic community at Mt. Ehrmei.

This could potentially be a problem for members of certain Abrahamic religious groups, since many of them believe than any spiritual being not explicitly connected to the Abrahamic God as described in their scripture is, by definition, demonic. Practices taught by a Buddhist deity to a Daoist Monk and passed down and maintained by a Buddhist monastic community might, therefore, pose some problems, depending exactly on what one believes in that regard. So I can see why the question comes up. 

That said, coming at it from the opposite end, there's nothing about the FP system which would make it inherently un-practicable by someone who is Christian, and I've never heard that Buddhist deities object to their teachings being utilized by people of other faiths. There are plenty of people who consider themselves Christian, Jewish or Islamic who integrate aspects of and teachings from other systems of belief into their spiritual life, or who adapt their Abrahamic beliefs to be more in line with their mystical insights, including many of the great mystics of these religions.

On the other hand, those who hold more strictly to Abrahamic scripture, at least on the subject of other religions, might have trouble in the form of some cognitive dissonance, if the practitioner genuinely believes that Buddhist deities are actually demonic in nature, which might not be great for the practice

In short, it's a question only the individual in question can answer. At least, that's how it seems to me :)

Edited by Aeran
  • Like 4

Hi tao stillness,

Thanks for your funny post.You and I know that it is not about Buddhists and Christians eating food, right?

Actually, I am not sure there is any formal ban of eastern yogic practices in western institutionalized religions.

My question came because Sifu Terry Dunn seems to be completely at ease in some of his posts with putting together Buddhist/Taoism/monotheistic religions, which is intriguing to me.

By religions I don't mean human institutions, but the specific relationship some human have, develop and cultivate with distinct higher realms (filled with specific spirits/gods etc.): I assume that the realm Buddhists have access to can't be superimposed to the Taoist one or to the one of any other religion.

I am aware that religious syncretism is not a problem at all to most New Age people who believe than there is nothing but energy. But reading this thread, I believe Sifu Terry Dunn is not one of those.

Well, actually my question is not of much interest to the practising people here, I should have shut my keyboard down about it.

Hi smallsteps, my apologies if my own answer may have offset you, while I can't speak for others, I would like to think that they are well-meant. At least take it from me that I wanted to answer you and encourage you in whatever practice that you decide to undertake that it will not conflict with your views or challenge them, but it will challenge your mind as we enter a harmony of mind and body and energy into stillness and emptiness. 

Hi Earl Grey,

There was no offense taken from your post, I actually liked it, so no need to apologise for anything.

Thank you for your well-meant post!

Be well

• Like 1

At any rate it is an excellent question as I always wonder how jealous/restrictive exactly these entities are. If they are thought forms they will only be what we make them into for our own convenience.

Of course if you think of your God as the source energy, obviously it would only consider other deities as helpful intermediaries and not feel threatened as it would not be on a competitive level...quite a few believers have no problems with saints, Angels, messiahs and the like so why object to another entity regardless what you call it as it is all a subjective naming issue. It only becomes a problem when you define it. Even Muslims believe there are djinns who serve Allah. I guess if you believe Jesus is the only intermediary as in Christianity or Allah cannot be "associated" then the restriction lies in your system but I doubt whether the FPCK entity would have a problem. After all it makes itself available regardless. Now I believe the next question would be do they choose us or do we choose them. Do we inherently "belong" under the care of a certain entity in a pre-determined way? Do we really have a choice or is our inherent make-up what decides for us? I find this question interesting too.

Personally I feel that all manifestation of energy comes from the same place so you cannot really go wrong as long as your intentions are pure. The infighting happens at a lower level, not at the level of creative love. Why would a mother forbid her child from getting help from a sibling? Anyway that is my feeling. I believe that everything comes from the same place and all that differentiates it is what we, and the entities, do with our free will. Whether we have a physically recognisable body or not does not in itself makes us that different, or evil. We are all just fluctuations of the same material. People will happily interact with dodgy humans but get scared of a benevolent apparition...yet we are all the same stuff really, only our intentions make us good or bad, not the form we manifest in.

If you see your body as a microcosm of our physical world imagine how you as a large entity feels about intra-cellular battles. It only becomes a problem when they wreak havoc. As long as they get along you don't even know your cells exist, do you?

Edited by Astral_butterfly
  • Like 3

Beautifully said, Astral_butterfly. I am happy to have you as part of our community--our family--of Flying Phoenix students. 

• Like 1

Beautifully said, Astral_butterfly. I am happy to have you as part of our community--our family--of Flying Phoenix students.

Thank you Earl Grey, I am honoured Edited by Astral_butterfly

A deity imparts the method of Flying Phoenix Chi Kung to a monk, history or legend?

No one really can answer that. But I do know that this sort of thing is possible because I know someone very well who was being trained on a special course years ago to reach higher states of consciousness. And during this course a deity who is well known who was on this planet long ago appeared to this person and taught him a method that has resulted in many people all over the world receiving help for health problems. The deity is associated with a religion that is not the same religion as the person who was given this method. But at no time did this person consider this healing method to be part of any religion.

Gregor Mendel, the father of genetics, was a Catholic priest. But none of us consider the science of genetics to have anything to do with religion. So if a Buddhist deity imparts an energy healing method to a Taoist monk, it is not necessarily associated with either religion, unless one wants to believe that it is. Our beliefs can free us, but they can also imprison the mind.

I practiced yoga asanas for over 30 years but at no time did I think it was part of the Hindu religion because yoga comes from India and most of India is Hindu. However, I have seen, not too long ago, a group of Christians who have written an article stating that true Christians should never do yoga.

I have been in Chinese restaurants where the waiter or waitress was American, but I did not send back the food claiming that it was not authentic because of who was serving me. It is now 1pm and I have not yet eaten breakfast, hence the food analogies.

• Like 2

I practiced yoga asanas for over 30 years but at no time did I think it was part of the Hindu religion because yoga comes from India and most of India is Hindu. However, I have seen, not too long ago, a group of Christians who have written an article stating that true Christians should never do yoga.

If you want a laugh, there's a fairly hilarious video of "Christian Tai Chi" floating around the internet which was put together by some evangelical group in the US. Apparently regular Tai Chi is the devil's work, so they worked in the sign of the cross and Biblical quotes which have to be chanted at certain points in the form.

But I do know that this sort of thing is possible because I know someone very well who was being trained on a special course years ago to reach higher states of consciousness. And during this course a deity who is well known who was on this planet long ago appeared to this person and taught him a method that has resulted in many people all over the world receiving help for health problems. The deity is associated with a religion that is not the same religion as the person who was given this method. But at no time did this person consider this healing method to be part of any religion.

Which deity, out of curiosity?

One of my old hermetic teachers taught a mantra he claims was received from an ancient Greek deity. It had an extremely powerful effect, just saying the names in order to memorize them - without vibrating or chanting them - resulted in a powerful ecstatic state, a kind of "energy high" closer to what you'd expect from recreational drugs than a spiritual practice. I obviously can't validate his claim about the origin of the mantra, but the effect was powerful enough that I doubt he just strung together a bunch of terms from old Greek texts. It makes me wonder which other old deities are floating out there in the ether, just waiting for someone to get in touch.
  • Like 1

If you want a laugh, there's a fairly hilarious video of "Christian Tai Chi" floating around the internet which was put together by some evangelical group in the US. Apparently regular Tai Chi is the devil's work, so they worked in the sign of the cross and Biblical quotes which have to be chanted at certain points in the form.

Which deity, out of curiosity?

One of my old hermetic teachers taught a mantra he claims was received from an ancient Greek deity. It had an extremely powerful effect, just saying the names in order to memorize them - without vibrating or chanting them - resulted in a powerful ecstatic state, a kind of "energy high" closer to what you'd expect from recreational drugs than a spiritual practice. I obviously can't validate his claim about the origin of the mantra, but the effect was powerful enough that I doubt he just strung together a bunch of terms from old Greek texts. It makes me wonder which other old deities are floating out there in the ether, just waiting for someone to get in touch.

Could you share with us this mantra by private message, or give some sources?

I could give you in return a Greek mantra for controlling snakes.

Edited by Chai Hu

Could you share with us this mantra by private message, or give some sources?

I could give you in return a Greek mantra for controlling snakes.

Why not share your mantra here?

Hi Bums

I have had the first truly remarkable experience since the start of my practice! (and not even two weeks have elapsed)

Nothing happens by accident, does it? I still have the lower abdomen ache and it helped to do Wind above the Clouds yesterday till my hip joints snapped pleasantly open.

Well, today I was determined to do the three dan tien exercises for 10 minutes each, as I am eager to store FPCK energy. So I went into the meeting room just before lunchtime, did the warm-up, did Monk Gazing at the Moon, then Monk Holding Peach (heart center). 

Well when I do Monk Gazing at the moon, I get a very faint swaying, nothing to write home about, very easy. BUT AS SOON AS I FINISHED MY BREATH CONTROL SEQUENCE with Monk holding Peach, I swayed like mad!

This side-to-side movement took me to my left and I was totally shocked (and laughing inside) to find that my legs were facing the front and my torso the back! This type of contortion should take years to achieve! I mean, I can't even do the warm-up wu-chi completely to the side!

The funny part of this is that as I was made to sway to the left, it was working the part of my right lower abdomen where my ache is! So now I know how to cure that ache! I must just concentrate on the heart center for now because my head doesn't need that much attention, then I will proceed as needed. OMG this is too much! I am totally elated  :wub:

Edited by Astral_butterfly
  • Like 1