Fu_dog

Flying Phoenix Chi Kung

Thanks ridingtheox,

Sounds excellent! I'm eager to get them as well but first need to get started with the FP qiqong.

Thanks for the helpful comments.

z

• Like 1

Ridingtheox,

Speaking about the effects of FP and the Tai Chi dvd's how do they differ? FP seems like a much bigger system.

Would it makes sense to practise them both?

zenyogi,

i started with Tai Chi, but soon found qi gong and nei gong practices were almost universally suggested as complementary practices to Tai Chi. Nei gong cultivates patience and reveals the nature of 'internal' arts. Qi gong is also internal with clear emphasis on qi cultivation and storage. The movements are simple and easily learned. There are however levels of practice so that I continue to experience new aspects of these arts after decades. Tai Chi is more vigorous in form, movement and balance and harmony ... while retaining the core emphasis on breathing and qi. My advice is to start simple and really invest in daily practice treasuring each new experience. Be patient and persistent, the results are worth investing in over the long term.

To answer your question I strongly advise practicing both... and to keep open the door for future experiences

• Like 1

Hi, i have the first three DVD's and i was wondering if any of the meditations in these would be good for curing IBS. Ive had it for almost a year,abdominal pain and veins on my belly when i eat allot and lay down. I seemed to cure it three months ago with the use of probiotics but stupidly i started eating crap food and falling back into addictions of various kinds, 2 weeks ago it came back i think eating dairy especially cereal triggered it and since i have just quit my addictions i am going through withdrawal so the stress is another factor.

Almost cant believe i allowed this to come back, i went from 11 stone 4 to 12 stone 13 and for two months no pain and could eat what i want but now im loosing weight again and i have been taking these probiotics for almost 4 months and they dont seem to be helping this time. It really would be great if one or more the meditations could help specifically with this kind of problem, after all it is supposed to be a medical qi gong.

I have been practicing the first DVD everyday for almost two weeks now, usually just monk gazing at moon and bending the bows. The energy is definitely more intense each time i do it, i mostly feel it at my throat so i guess that's the bending the bows meditation, now when i do the opening tai chi exercises at the beginning of DVD 1 i already feel the energy so i guess it must be stored some how, how does this work? Does this mean i will learn how to summon it at will, does this also mean that when i do other forms of chi gong say elemental chi gong the energy will run through those channels say if i was doing wood element would the flying phoenix chi i have cultivated run through the meridians associated with wood?

I am aiming to do 100 days consecutive practice, even to master all of the flying phoenix eventually, it uplifts me and helps allot with my mood swings and sense of well being. Oh i got my wisdom tooth extracted yesterday so that's another stress-or on my body.

Cheers

Edited by BluePhoenix133

Blue Phoenix; I have posted several recent accolations of FPCH as a total health system. It is extremely powerful. In this case I offer two immediate alternatives:

1)

the practices actually begin at 3:50 min in a 12 min presentation.

2) the 3rd section of the 8 pieces of brocade one example of which is:

i have had personal experience of 8 pieces addressing kidney stones and pain (section 6 for kidney)

I am suggesting these might work quickly. However do not slack off from your practice of FPCH ...

Hopefully Zen Bear will see your message and respond ... he is very good about addressing issues such as yours.

Finally, it is compulsory that you practice dan tien breathing in and of itself as well as incorporating dantien breathing in all your qi practices no matter what they are.

sincerely,

• Like 1

Hi, thanks for the reply, i have tried that 8 brocades before and find it very relaxing sometimes but that other video is very interesting i have played around with chi like this before...even before i got into qi gong i was feeling chi, however i feel it mostly as bliss. Sounds great being able to feel this but for some reason i still back into addictions, pointless worry and just frustration at existence.

But i think i will try playing around with chi in between my hands more and see if i can then use that to heal my gut, as it is my lower abdomen that is in pain i guess it must be my lower digestive track...guess it would be hard to pinpoint the exact area to focus the chi as the pain might be occurring in an area that isn't actually where the damage is. Sounds strange i know but i suffered a collapsed left lung once and i had allot of pain on top of my left shoulder which was apparently connect to a nerve at the bottom of my diaphragm.

If only my orginal qi gong teacher still taught elemental qi gong then i could practice the elements associated with the small and large intestines, so that would be fire and metal. Perhaps though this is not the best way to tackle to problem as it is probably a bacterial over growth, combined with stress and foods that irritate the digestive tract... i just have to be disciplined something i have a hard time with.

Funny i can be so determined to over come addictions i know they cause me suffering in the long run but then later i will give in and indulge. Guess this is a question of free will, do i really have any if all it takes is for my brain chemistry to shift and all those promises i have made mean nothing.

To JDR19,

Very good questions. I have done some of the FP dvds and I have done level one and two of SYG. The meditations on SYG take less time to do and there are less of them to do than for the FP series, and the SYG require less movements to learn for each meditation. The subtle energy also feels a bit different between the 2 systems. Both are fulfilling and compelling to do.

Hello Steve,

Thanks for your objective and candid comparison of FPCK practice and SYG practice. It's most informative for me as I have not had to time to practice what Sifu Garry is preserving from our teacher's system--just as he has not had time to practice (but a smidgeon) of what I am preserving. Without having done them, but from just looking at several of the SYG meditations, I can intuit that there are differences in the energy cultivated by the two systems and these differences may be more than subtle ones. One cannot tell until one has practiced both for--I would estimate--5 years and thus be able to experience the differences in each system's healing functionality. (I've described in some detail how the FP Healing Energy works at many points in this discussion.)

Thanks again for sharing!

Best,

Sifu Terry

www.taichimania.com/chikung_catalog.html

• Like 2

Hey everyone,

I just ordered the first 3 volumes of FP Qigong, super excited about it!

I was planning on printing the complete thread but after I realized it would be around 1800 pages :huh: I decided to just read over everything and only copy the good parts to a file that I'll print for reference.

Still a lot of work though! But definitely worth it.

I'm glad I've come here :)

-Zen

Hello Zenyogi,

Welcome to the FPCK community. Glad you found the abundant knowledge in this thread to be revealing and useful. It flows from many practitioners because of the simple fact that Flying Phoenix Chi Kung works! It is thus natural to wonder why there are not dozens and dozens of similarly detailed discussion threads and blogs about other legitimate Qigong methods.

Enjoy the DVD training when they arrive. And, of course, post any questions that arise here.

Best,

Sifu Terry

I appreciate your reply Sifu Terry. When I stated that there are subtle differences in the energy between the 2 systems I should have clarified that it is probably only subtle because I am not yet sensitive due to my energy blocks to really discern strong differences in how energies feel. Pardon the bad grammar.

Steve

I want to comment on Sifu Terry's remarks about wondering why there are not many more threads about other chi kung methods.

My guess is that from my experience in attempting to learn more about the other chi kung methods that I have tried, I have found that very few of the teachers who produce chi kung dvds take the time to communicate with people who are not their paying students. Sifu Terry is a rare exception whose dedication and passion for the ancient art makes him want to take the time to teach all who embrace the magic of these ancient internal arts. The way he answers in great detail is a reflection of this.

• Like 4

Oneness Blessing is said to be good for healing addictions as it rewires the brain.

"The mind cannot heal the mind."

Oneness Blessing certainly works to rewire the brain and integrate the human process in its own unique way. I still get a profound charge --electrical activation of very specific brain centers--from every exposure I have to Sri Bhagavan's waves. My years of practicing Flying Phoenix Chi Kung since 1991 (and Tao Tan Pai Nei-kung since 1977) have enabled me to be thus attuned to similar healing energies generated buy deep monastic traditions, such as Oneness Meditation.

Sifu Terry Dunn

www.taichimania.com/chikung_catalog.html

Edited by zen-bear

I received the first 3 DVDs and they look really great. Have memorized the first DVD and I'm doing the 5 standing meditations twice a day. Feels great so far and soon enough I'll report back in with my experience and maybe a few questions but for now I have just one.

About the horse stance, it seems you really gotta do it right if you plan to hold it for longer periods and I'm wondering if anyone can reccomend any good books or YouTube videos that go in to great detail about it to really perfect the horse stance.

Would really love to get some reccomendations if anyone has some.

I'm really happy to be here :)

Thanks and happy practising.

Ben

Edited by zenyogi
  • Like 1

Hi Sifu Terry and everybody else reading this,

I have been practicing dvd 1& 2 every morning for a week and just started with learning the third dvd. FPQG is at the moment my highlight of the day and i'm continuously looking forward to practicing it.

It has generated a significant amount of bliss in my life that carries over in all my actions. There is extreme happiness throughout my day :)

Sometimes I only feel the energizing effects coming in later, some time after the practice. Maybe that's just my mind becoming aware of the energies a little later... I find that interesting.

I have felt major Qi in my hands and finger tips. After doing dvd one I usually notice my whole body lightly vibrating especially my face and palms.

I honestly can't get enough of it and it feel like this was a missing ingredient in my life. I feel all my other practices are being enriched by doing FPQG, everything goes deeper and brings more bliss, what is really great!

At the moment I do 2.5 hours a day of FP but I'm planning working that up to 6+ hours over the next months!

Something that helped me is while watching the videos I made notes of the breathing percentages, key positions and important details and have it as a cheat sheet near me to glance over before doing the practices. This has helped me tremendously and recommend that to anyone who is struggling with memorizing the sequences etc.

I have to say that some of the practices are quite a workout for the back, legs & arms! But I like that :)

I just wanted to share my experiences so far and I have been very pleased with the dvd's. I plan to eventually get all of them and learn the whole system. It's a true gem!

Sifu Terry, during my practice some questions came up in my mind, many of them I found the answer to here in this thread but a few are still unanswered and if they were answered before and I missed them then I'm sorry for you having to repeat yourself.

1) Earlier in this thread it was briefly mentioned by you Sifu Terry to hold the breath after each percentage to keep the breath cycle nicely balanced. You said that this bit of retention really added to the effect of each exercises. I didn't see any mention of it hereafter and was wondering if you could touch a little more on this. At the moment I breath in a again after the percentage count but can easily add the retention part to it of the remaining count. I just wanted to check with you to make sure that's really what you meant. I'd like to get maximum benefit out of the practices.

2) When for example doing "Monk holding peach" the legs are two shoulder widths apart and you say to stand straight, I believe there is some slight bending of the knees. Is this correct or are the knees locked and legs totally straight?

3) When you go down low in the horse stance is it ok if the knees come over the feet?

4) MSW meditations: when the hands go up at a 45 degree angle above head and down again is it ok for some of the fingertips to touch? it makes it easier if one or two fingers touch so they stay in sync with each other.

5) My wife started practicing FPQG with me and is loving it too! She was wondering if there are any guidelines for when a woman is on her period? I could not find any mention here on the forum or on your site or anywhere else.

6) Would it be a wise thing to use a gentle alarm on a phone or something that is not too disturbing to mark a certain amount of minutes so you know when the selected timeframe for certain practices are over? Or do you ahem any other tips for keeping time?

Thank you Sifu Terry for sharing this system and being here on Taobums. It's Huge to have you here!

Humbly grateful,

Ben

---

One more thing I wanted to share with everyone reading this thread. There is so much information about FPQG in this thread that by reading and studying the whole thing most of your questions will be answered plus you will get so many new insights from Sifu Terry and from others that will enrich your practice. It helped me a lot and many questions that were arising got answered by reading all this. Took a while to get through all of it tho :)

• Like 1

I received the first 3 DVDs and they look really great. Have memorized the first DVD and I'm doing the 5 standing meditations twice a day. Feels great so far and soon enough I'll report back in with my experience and maybe a few questions but for now I have just one.

About the horse stance, it seems you really gotta do it right if you plan to hold it for longer periods and I'm wondering if anyone can reccomend any good books or YouTube videos that go in to great detail about it to really perfect the horse stance.

Would really love to get some reccomendations if anyone has some.

I'm really happy to be here :)

Thanks and happy practising.

Zen

Ben,

Developing the horse stance--and all horse stances (ma bu)--is best done by practicing a bona fide system of Kung Fu or Tai Chi.

If that's not possible, and all you have is the FP Chi Kung system to work with, the best FP Meditation to develop one's horse stance is "Bending the Bows". Make sure your feet are parallel for best results. Same is true when doing "Wind through Treetops" and "Wind Above the Clouds."

Sifu Terry

• Like 1

Sorry Si Hing, Haven't been on here :) feels good lol

Its true what you wrote about SYG & FP unless you have done both there is no way to tell but we can only go off the teaching methods for instance 18 levels 4 stages a per level starting with a seated static, standing static, standing moving small that is repeated then longer set. So its very Tao in its progression from stillness & mind work in static then to find the stillness during the moving meditations. Like a baby needs foundation to stand then walk….:)

Hope everyones doing good and becoming their own FP?

Regards

Sifu Garry

• Like 1

Ben,

Developing the horse stance--and all horse stances (ma bu)--is best done by practicing a bona fide system of Kung Fu or Tai Chi.

If that's not possible, and all you have is the FP Chi Kung system to work with, the best FP Meditation to develop one's horse stance is "Bending the Bows". Make sure your feet are parallel for best results. Same is true when doing "Wind through Treetops" and "Wind Above the Clouds."

Sifu Terry

Thanks for the reply Sifu Terry.

I have noticed that doing dvd 1 & 2 daily for a week might have been a little too much on my knees so I decided to do one day dvd 1 and the other day dvd 2 for some time till it goes a little better. In this way my knees get a little more rest in between.

Once I go down I tend to push my knees a little outwards so I can go lower and there is less pressure on the knees and more muscles in my inner thighs are being used. Is that correct?

Thanks again,

Ben

• Like 1

I've been practicing for about 2 months now (after having read most of this thread), and it's really cool to experience for myself what others have written about. Now I'm re-reading the thread and finding fresh insight the second time around. Thanks to all who have contributed!

What prompted me to post tonight though was all this stuff in the news about Ebola, Chikungunya, and the perennial West Nile virus. I'm curious to what extent Flying Phoenix would Imbue practitioners with immunity/resistance to these diseases.

It seems to me that an art with such a storied history as Flying Phoenix and the other Bak Fu Pai arts, one of the reasons a healing qigong would develop such renown would be that it fortified people against the waves of disease that constantly ravaged the world before germ theory.

That being said, I am certainly not volunteering to be a test case for Flying Phoenix practitioners' resistance to Ebola!

If SIfu Gary or Sifu Terry have any stories that were passed down from Grandmaster Doo Wai, or any anecdotes about Flying Phoenix's effects on viruses and bacteria, I'd love to hear them.

Edited by ZiRan

Hi Sifu Terry and everybody else reading this,

I have been practicing dvd 1& 2 every morning for a week and just started with learning the third dvd. FPQG is at the moment my highlight of the day and i'm continuously looking forward to practicing it.

It has generated a significant amount of bliss in my life that carries over in all my actions. There is extreme happiness throughout my day :)

Sometimes I only feel the energizing effects coming in later, some time after the practice. Maybe that's just my mind becoming aware of the energies a little later... I find that interesting.

I have felt major Qi in my hands and finger tips. After doing dvd one I usually notice my whole body lightly vibrating especially my face and palms.

I honestly can't get enough of it and it feel like this was a missing ingredient in my life. I feel all my other practices are being enriched by doing FPQG, everything goes deeper and brings more bliss, what is really great!

At the moment I do 2.5 hours a day of FP but I'm planning working that up to 6+ hours over the next months!

Something that helped me is while watching the videos I made notes of the breathing percentages, key positions and important details and have it as a cheat sheet near me to glance over before doing the practices. This has helped me tremendously and recommend that to anyone who is struggling with memorizing the sequences etc.

I have to say that some of the practices are quite a workout for the back, legs & arms! But I like that :)

I just wanted to share my experiences so far and I have been very pleased with the dvd's. I plan to eventually get all of them and learn the whole system. It's a true gem!

Sifu Terry, during my practice some questions came up in my mind, many of them I found the answer to here in this thread but a few are still unanswered and if they were answered before and I missed them then I'm sorry for you having to repeat yourself.

1) Earlier in this thread it was briefly mentioned by you Sifu Terry to hold the breath after each percentage to keep the breath cycle nicely balanced. You said that this bit of retention really added to the effect of each exercises. I didn't see any mention of it hereafter and was wondering if you could touch a little more on this. At the moment I breath in a again after the percentage count but can easily add the retention part to it of the remaining count. I just wanted to check with you to make sure that's really what you meant. I'd like to get maximum benefit out of the practices.

2) When for example doing "Monk holding peach" the legs are two shoulder widths apart and you say to stand straight, I believe there is some slight bending of the knees. Is this correct or are the knees locked and legs totally straight?

3) When you go down low in the horse stance is it ok if the knees come over the feet?

4) MSW meditations: when the hands go up at a 45 degree angle above head and down again is it ok for some of the fingertips to touch? it makes it easier if one or two fingers touch so they stay in sync with each other.

5) My wife started practicing FPQG with me and is loving it too! She was wondering if there are any guidelines for when a woman is on her period? I could not find any mention here on the forum or on your site or anywhere else.

6) Would it be a wise thing to use a gentle alarm on a phone or something that is not too disturbing to mark a certain amount of minutes so you know when the selected timeframe for certain practices are over? Or do you ahem any other tips for keeping time?

Thank you Sifu Terry for sharing this system and being here on Taobums. It's Huge to have you here!

Humbly grateful,

Ben

---

One more thing I wanted to share with everyone reading this thread. There is so much information about FPQG in this thread that by reading and studying the whole thing most of your questions will be answered plus you will get so many new insights from Sifu Terry and from others that will enrich your practice. It helped me a lot and many questions that were arising got answered by reading all this. Took a while to get through all of it tho :)

Hello Ben,

Sorry to take an extra several days to answer your questions. But I had a very busy and hectic past week.

My comments and answers to your questions are in Bold below:

What you just described here is normal progression of tangible energization imparted by FP Qigong and most legitimate systems of Qigong.

Glad you are enjoying the training and find that it very enriching, and are gaining an experiential meaning of "bliss'--which is sadly missing in so many fads, movements and more recently developed yogas of the "new age." Yes, FP Qigong, and all other internal systems of the Doo Wai White Tiger tradition can have that enriching effect on many other martial arts that one has developed.

Good for you--and lucky you that you can devote 6+ hours a day to FP training! As I wrote in earlier posts, for beginners, the longer one does each of the FP Meditations--upwards of 20 to 30 minutes, the stronger the energy cultivation and deeper the healing and rejuvenating effects become. As the effects of the meditations are cumulative, as one progresses through months and years of practice, one can reduce the duration of practice of any particular exercise and still experience the same full blissful impact as if one were practicing for hours.

I sometimes train 6 hours in a day, but those hours cover 2 or 3 complete systems of Omei Mtn. kung fu in addition to FP Qigong.

Yes, "cheat sheets" are most useful to memorize the breathing sequences. One uses them like "training wheels" on a bicycle until one can consistently recall the breathing seq. from memory without looking. I used to keep long laminated hand-written lists of all the BFP internal systems' breath controls. Then later, all the breathings sequences and schematic instructions for each Meidtation found their way onto my iPhone and iPad. Whatever it takes to get you to do the Meditation correctly--and that includes doing the breath-control sequence from memory--just do it!

That differs from person to person, because every person has different conditioning prior to starting FP Qigong.

But there are a few universal effects that i've described earlier:

(A) The 2nd seated Warm up meditation on Volume 2, with breathing 50 30 10 where one raises and lowers the arms similar to the opening move of Tai Chi forms, always brings into awareness all kinds of pain and ensign in one's back muscles. Everyone and myself felt this the first several weeks we did this seated meditation.

( B) Advanced Omei Internal systems--such as 10,000 Buddhas Meditations--cause dramatic involuntary movements in everyone without exception. First-timings go literally flying and careening across a 30 ft. room being absorbed by the energy generated--as if they're on a carnival ride.

Yes, as the Bok Fu Pai maxim goes: "May kook on the outside like a brick, but actually worth its weight in gold."

​In the beginning, do not do any breath retention. Just do the percentage exhalations as prescribed int he DVD's and don't hold the breath. I'm not sure where i said hold the breath after each % exhalation...but thinking about it now, that is unadvised for beginners and will only lead to unnecessary and futile complications. As you practice the FP system, you will be able to ascertain for yourself when and where certain type of breath retention will be constructive and enhancing to the practice.

No bending of the knees on "Monk Holding Peach.' Keep knees locked throughout the practice. For a few tiny moments, you can experiment and see what happens to your form when you bend the knee slightly. But departing from the knees locked position is nothing but a curious test.

If you mean: if the knees come forward beyond the vertical line of the toes, the answer is "No".

But if you assume a deep and low horse stance, your knees are generally over your feet, such that when you look at your legs from the front, your knees and your feet are vertically aligned such that lines drawn connecting them would form a rectangle.

It is OK for the fingertips to touch in those positions and movements of the MSW Meditations.

​No, there are no special guidelines for women during their periods. FP Qigong is so perfectly safe in regulating of the organ systems throughout the subconscious mind and creating allostasis, that the one method (breath control sequence followed by specific posture(s) and movements) imparts the same benefits for all. There are other esoteric Qigong and Neikung systems where the practices for females differ. But FP Qigong is not one of those.

6) Would it be a wise thing to use a gentle alarm on a phone or something that is not too disturbing to mark a certain amount of minutes so you know when the selected timeframe for certain practices are over? Or do you ahem any other tips for keeping time? That's totally up to each practitioner. If one needs an alarm of some type to mark passage of time in practice, by all means use it--especially if one has to keep to a daily schedule and not be late for other activities and obligations. Some people have accurate internal clocks. I practice until I feel a certain way or sometimes until I surpass a benchmarked state of meditative absorption (jhana).

You're welcome.

Sifu Terry Dunn

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 1

Sifu Terry,

Thanks for the answers, they really help a lot.

Unfortunately I have to stop most of the exercises for some time because and old back problem has come to the surface due to too much strain on my back. I'm quite sad about that but don't have another choice than taking proper rest.

I hope to pick up FP as soon as possible again and keep going.

Thanks again for all the insightful answers and your time spend here on the forums.

Enjoy your day,

Ben

Sifu Terry, Thanks for the answers, they really help a lot. Unfortunately I have to stop most of the exercises for some time because and old back problem has come to the surface due to too much strain on my back. I'm quite sad about that but don't have another choice than taking proper rest. I hope to pick up FP as soon as possible again and keep going. Thanks again for all the insightful answers and your time spend here on the forums. Enjoy your day, Ben

Hello Ben,

You can do the sitting meditations like I do and still benefit from them:

I cannot sit in any cross legged position, so I am still doing the sitting meds on a chair. At the beginning, I even leaned on my back as I had similar back problems like you. Once the "stuff" gets accumulated, the show starts, the posture takes care of itself, so please do not give up and at least try them once like I do, if you have no other choice.

Doo Wai Family Arts are VERY POWERFUL and also help you find the stillness 7/24 . Plus they help the health issues.

Please do not give up on this.

Best of everything,

Cihan

Edited by cihan
  • Like 2

Dear Cihan,

Thanks for the kind words. Under no circumstances would I ever give up this great system and I agree with everything you said. It's such a gem!

I truly enjoy this forum and the wonderful posts made here by so many great practitioners.

Thanks Cihan for chiming in and the encouragement.

Enjoy your blessed day,

Ben

• Like 1

Hello guys,

Tomorrow there will be another Flying Phoenix group session, to those of you who are new to this, we just practice the same meditations at the same time, anybody willing to register for it is welcome, just put your name and location, follow the link

http://thetaobums.com/topic/33820-flying-phoenix-worldwide-events/page-5

I hope to see plenty of you , the more we are, the more energy there will be, and so the better for everybody to progress in their practice :)

Best,

Aurélien

• Like 1

Hello guys,

Tomorrow there will be another Flying Phoenix group session, to those of you who are new to this, we just practice the same meditations at the same time, anybody willing to register for it is welcome, just put your name and location, follow the link

http://thetaobums.com/topic/33820-flying-phoenix-worldwide-events/page-5

I hope to see plenty of you , the more we are, the more energy there will be, and so the better for everybody to progress in their practice :)

Best,

Aurélien

Thanks Aurelien.

I hope everyone in the FP community tries to make it to several of these Friday FP Meditation sessions. I fully support and encourage it.

Best to all,

Sifu Terry

• Like 1