Fu_dog

Flying Phoenix Chi Kung

Hello Sifu Terry,

It is always great when you so generously share your time and knowledge in such detail with us.

I want to comment about your recent post mentioning the dvd I ordered to learn the Wudang 5 Animal Form Qigong from a master there who now resides in California. Out of respect I will not mention his name. I loved watching the beauty of that graceful form when I saw the preview clips online and I thought it was something I could learn to do from the dvd in order to supplement my chi kung with a form that had more movement so I could add physical exercise to my daily routine. So I ordered it and then thought I want to know ahead of time all that it will do for me. So I called upon Eric, the medical clairvoyant, to test it. He said he saw black energy in various parts of my nervous system if I were to practice this and this could not be good, so he advised me to stay away from this form. He has tested many different chi kung methods and this is only the third time that a test result for chi kung came with a dire warning. Once again, his testing is based on how something effects the person who is asking for the testing. This is how this form would impact me, but not necessarily anyone else. Wudang Shan (mountain) has such a great and powerful reputation so this really surprised and disappointed me. I donated the dvd to our local metaphysical bookstore without even playing it after it arrived. Flying Phoenix Chi Kung dvds have tested great each time. It's all pure and good.

Edited by tao stillness

Hello Sifu Terry, regarding mastering the various meditations:

My actual practice includes 18 reps of BTB (45 minutes, thighs parallel to ground) and 7 reps of MSW1 (30 minutes), for a total of 1:30 (including the preparation)

Let's presume this is the total time I can find during the day, is it better to do less repetitions of BTB in order to practice also other meditations?

or is it better to alternate the various meditations between days?

also, big question, how can one know to have mastered a particular meditation?

Hello Pitisukha,

Thanks for sharing your practice regimen. 45 minutes a day of Bending the Bows is excellent. And 30 min. to do 7 reps of MSW #1 is also most adequately slow. I take 30 min. to do the much longer MSW Meditations (in vol. 7).

Answer to your question: Because all the FP Meditations have a cumulative effect in terms of their energy cultivation, once you feel "saturated" with/by any of the meditations that you're you can shorten the time you do BTB (or do each rep a little faster--varying the speed is quite OK once you've deeply established movement at "the speed of a shifting sand dune") and add other FP meditations. Within a 90 minute practice period, it is absolutely fine to cover four meditations, even five or six.

Also, don't forget that the goal is to cover all the Basic Level FP Meditations in 9 to 24 months. And you can certainly accomplish this by practicing 90 minutes a day.

• also, big question, how can one know to have mastered a particular meditation?

Good question.

Answers specific to Flying Phoenix Chi Kung:

1. You know you have mastered a particular FP meditation when you clearly know exactly how that meditation generates the FP Healing Energy and where the energizing manifests in the body.

2. You will know you've mastered a set of the FP Meditations when you know specifically how one meditation differs in its energizing, bodily rejuvenation, and brain-activation effects from another.

3. You know you have mastered a particular FP Meditation when your movements are frictionless--and by frictionless I mean that you do not feel your body at all when you are doing either the static meditations or any of the moving meditations of the system (standing or seated).

4. You know you have mastered a particular FP Meditation when you merely do the breath control sequence or even just think the breath control sequence of a paticular FP Med. and the full energizing effects of performing the meditation for 15 minutes or more instantly manifests and is unmistakenly, tangibly felt.

5. General Answer with regards to the practice of any authentic Yoga: to understand very clear terms what mastering a yogic skill is, refer to Aleister Crowley's maxim that I posted above in Post #2798. he describes mastery as the state of action becoming non-action, which is identical to what Carlos Castaneda calls "not doing" in his books.

--that state where: it is no longer Thou that doeth it, but It that doeth itself through thee

A state where consciousness of oneself as a subject, the "doer" of an action, is completely absent...where all there is is pure action in sync with the Universe. Top athletes, artists, musicians, technicians in any refined discipline describe this frictionless, effortless, and egoless state of perfected performance as "being in the zone." In other words, experiencing the dissolution of the ego--the ego being the mis-identification of the true self with what one thinks he or she is. That is why Crowley writes that "Consciousness (of the self as the 'doer') is a symptom of dis-ease".

Such "not-doing" is accompanied by a transcendent state of consciousness that the Zen people call "no mind" and that Castaneda describes as "stopping the world." Masters of yoga--and "warriors" (as defined by Castaneda)-- can stop the world at will. And so can you by practicing the FP Meditations properly and diligently.

Best,

Sifu Terry Dunn

www.taichimania.com/chikung_catalog.html

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 3

Hello Sifu Terry,

It is always great when you so generously share your time and knowledge in such detail with us.

I want to comment about your recent post mentioning the dvd I ordered to learn the Wudang 5 Animal Form Qigong from a master there who now resides in California. Out of respect I will not mention his name. I loved watching the beauty of that graceful form when I saw the preview clips online and I thought it was something I could learn to do from the dvd in order to supplement my chi kung with a form that had more movement so I could add physical exercise to my daily routine. So I ordered it and then thought I want to know ahead of time all that it will do for me. So I called upon Eric, the medical clairvoyant, to test it. He said he saw black energy in various parts of my nervous system if I were to practice this and this could not be good, so he advised me to stay away from this form. He has tested many different chi kung methods and this is only the third time that a test result for chi kung came with a dire warning. Once again, his testing is based on how something effects the person who is asking for the testing. This is how this form would impact me, but not necessarily anyone else. Wudang Shan (mountain) has such a great and powerful reputation so this really surprised and disappointed me. I donated the dvd to our local metaphysical bookstore without even playing it after it arrived. Flying Phoenix Chi Kung dvds have tested great each time. It's all pure and good.

Steve,

Don't put all your trust in the name of a brand, even the name of a famous and legendary Taoist enclave famous for its martial arts. First of all, something labeled Wudang may not be necessarily authentic, and one needs to be more suspicious if it's made by a westerner. Second, the Qigong material may be a Wudang-originated exercise, but it may have been handled by the wrong persons and perverted in some manner. I would trust Eric Isen on this matter since his reading was a dire warning.

Also, Wudang arts emphasize excellence in their martial forms. Their internal arts are highly regulated and safeguarded. And if the Qigong material on the DVD is not taught by one of the very well-known Wudang priests--such as Master Chen Shi-Xing or Master Xu Wei Han or Tai Chi master You Xuan De -- I would be quite wary and cautious.

One of the martial arts that I preserve, Eight Sections of Energy Combined, is a southern art that had originated in Wudangshan, according to GM Woo Wai, because it just has that distinctive process to it and alchemic "flavor." And there's perhaps just two exercises out of about 18 components that I might consider publishiing as a health program on DVD. One is a preparatory exercise that is very strenuous and the other is the fourth "Section" that is somewhat Tai Chi-like. But even then, there would be no point to publishing these 2 fragments of a system for public consumption.

I'm sure your local library appreciated the DVD gift!

Best,

Sifu Terry

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 1

Hello Sifu Terry,

I think it is awesome how you continue to monitor this thread and give advice and words of encouragement to those who are practicing and interested in Flying Phoenix.

A quick question - my practice has become sporadic due to nasal issues. I have had a cold and am having difficulty breathing out of my nose. Certain mornings my nose has been stuffed (this happens a lot even without a cold.)

Is it safe or effective to practice during times when I cannot breathe out of my nose?

I tried to find an answer, but the the thread has quite a few pages!

Hello Sifu Terry,

I think it is awesome how you continue to monitor this thread and give advice and words of encouragement to those who are practicing and interested in Flying Phoenix.

A quick question - my practice has become sporadic due to nasal issues. I have had a cold and am having difficulty breathing out of my nose. Certain mornings my nose has been stuffed (this happens a lot even without a cold.)

Is it safe or effective to practice during times when I cannot breathe out of my nose?

I tried to find an answer, but the the thread has quite a few pages!

Hi mrwhy,

Yours is a reasonable question. After going about 4 years without catching a severe cold or flu (nipping them all in the bud with fluids and mega-C and echinachea, etc.), I succumbed to a head cold 5 weeks ago due to stress, got over it in 3 days but then caught the L.A. cold/flu 3 Mondays ago, suffered from it for 6 days and just got over 2 Sundays ago. There were a couple of days where I was quite congested and had trouble breathing through my nose. But I practiced daily just the same, and on the bad days, I took breaks in the middle of meditation to clear the nose. If the congestion is severe that you cannot breathe through the nose at all, there is nothing wrong with doing the FP meditations by breathing through the mouth. Mouth-breathing doesn't circulate the Qi or oxygen to the head anywhere as effectively as breathing through the nose with clear sinuses, but I don't see any harm in doing that.

Bottom line: it's up to you. If you're a perfectionist, wait until you're fully recovered and then do the FPCK with clear sinuses.

If you're determined and an experimenter, try it with mouth-breathing, knowing full well that it's very sub-optimum.

Hope you feel better.

Sifu Terry

Note: i found that an herbal steambath or regular steambath at a gym or spa definitely helps remove head and chest congestion almost completely.

• Like 2

Thank you very much Sifu Terry!

Appreciate the answer and it helps out a lot!

Have a great day.

• Like 1

we could try as well to set a sequence of meditations or not, or just a length of duration for the practice. Anyone interested?

I'm in Europe and best time would be 12.30-14.30 PST, but might be able to accommodate most other times throughout the day too.

I'm in Europe and best time would be 12.30-14.30 PST, but might be able to accommodate most other times throughout the day too.

Hey Leif,

Glad somebody finally answered =).Okay so we can try to plan a first session, for now on you're the only one that gave me his availabilities. What do you think about doing a session from 12-13 PST this week? Tell when you would like to start.

Aurélien

• Like 1

I'm in Europe too, :)

usually I practice 0:00-2:00am or 5:30-8:30am PST

sometimes 11.30-1.00pm but it's uncommon

Hey Leif,

Glad somebody finally answered =).Okay so we can try to plan a first session, for now on you're the only one that gave me his availabilities. What do you think about doing a session from 12-13 PST this week? Tell when you would like to start.

Aurélien

Hi aurelien,

I can do session from 12-13 hours PST some day this week.

Thanks for organizing.

Sifu Terry

Hi aurelien,

I can do session from 12-13 hours PST some day this week.

Thanks for organizing.

Sifu Terry

This week I can be in at 12-13 PST only on Friday

Would it be okay for all of you (Leif, Piti Sukha, zen-bear, taostillness) to do the first session this Friday 7th March at 12-13 PST? I will post the event on the other flying phoenix topic, to confirm just quote the message of the event and put your name http://thetaobums.com/topic/33820-flying-phoenix-worldwide-events/

Aurélien

Edited by oreothecookie
  • Like 2

Would it be okay for all of you (Leif, Piti Sukha, zen-bear, taostillness) to do the first session this Friday 7th March at 12-13 PST? I will post the event on the other flying phoenix topic, to confirm just quote the message of the event and put your name http://thetaobums.com/topic/33820-flying-phoenix-worldwide-events/

Aurélien

That's fine with me. Starting with five FP Meditators is auspicious. (More are welcome, of course!)

That's fine with me. Starting with five FP Meditators is auspicious. (More are welcome, of course!)

Hello Sifu Terry,

Yeah it sounds good for a first session. Which sequence of FP meditations do you think we should do for this one hour session, I was thinking of starting with standing ones (30 min), and ending with sitting ones (30 min). Any advice?

Thanks

Looking forward to it,

Aurélien

Sifu Terry,

In an earlier post on this page when you mentioned 3 authentic Wudang masters, I have recently seen a beautiful video clip of master Xu Wei Han performing Wudang Hunyuan.

Steve

Hello Sifu Terry,

Yeah it sounds good for a first session. Which sequence of FP meditations do you think we should do for this one hour session, I was thinking of starting with standing ones (30 min), and ending with sitting ones (30 min). Any advice?

Thanks

Looking forward to it,

Aurélien

If isn't a problem I'd prefer DVD1/2 meditations,

possibly not MSW3 since in Italy is pre-sleep time :blush:

• Like 2

nasal issues often respond to regular neti pot treatment even during difficult colds ... since i am blessed with unusually narrow turbinals ( according to one Dr) this treatment might be good for others with head colds

I will try to do some FPCK this friday around noon ... daughter's new baby may make this difficult to make time for

will definitely be doing some deep breathing ... :)

• Like 1

Hello everyone,

So for the today flying phoenix group session, we will do the following sequence of meditations:

-Bending the bows 70 50 40 30 10 (15 min)

-Monk holding the peach 90 50 40 20 10 (15 min)

- Sitting warm up (5 60 80 40 30) (5 min)

-MSW1 (90 50 40 30 10)

And for next time, we can discuss the meditations each one of us would like to do.

Don't be late, it starts at 12:00 PST

See you later

Aurélien

• Like 1

Aurelian,

Nice job on organizing the FP Meditation! And nice choice of starting meditations. I can tell from your choice of the meds. that you've been practicing them quite thoroughly.

I was late for the session because of a meeting that e

Ran late thie AM but I joined the session at 12:30 PST.

Next time, I would be good to get the geographical location of each participant and put that on a list. Will explain later.

Good practicing!!

Sifu Terry Dunn

• Like 3

Interesting Qigong. I've seen just one other Wudang Hunyuan Qigong exercise before. Except for the vigorous fisting, the movements are contained in many qigong systems (including Abvanced FP)-- but it's the order, continuity and focus which makes each system unique--plus, most importantly of all, what's NOT seen: stance/footwork and breathing method!!!

• Like 1

Aurelian, Nice job on organizing the FP Meditation! And nice choice of starting meditations. I can tell from your choice of the meds. that you've been practicing them quite thoroughly. I was late for the session because of a meeting that e Ran late thie AM but I joined the session at 12:30 PST. Next time, I would be good to get the geographical location of each participant and put that on a list. Will explain later. Good practicing!! Sifu Terry Dunn

I'd like to thank Aurelian for organizing this, also Sifu Terry and Leif!

• Like 2

Thanks to all of you guys, it wouldn't be possible without you =)

I propose that we keep that time schedule for the weeks coming, and if others want to join we can try to find other time to accommodate everybody. And if you want to see a particular meditation in the session just tell me. Otherwise for the next friday we will proceed like this week, putting your name to confirm you're participating in the event, and add your geographical location as Sifu Terry mentioned.

Thanks,

Aurélien