Fu_dog

Flying Phoenix Chi Kung

This is a question for Terry (who is hopefully still monitoring the thread).

Early in the thread, you state:

My question is kind of philosophical or academic... This "energy" that builds in ones system, what is the source of it ?

Please note this is not skeptical, it is just a request for clarification. In other words, no "gotcha" involved. :)

(Almost all information on this topic seems to be solely concerned with results, which is understandable, considering that healing is a very important result to be concerned with.)

Once you experience the FP sublime energy you can realize that the FP energy is energy of the one-power - heavenly qi thats closer to the frequency of the Dao than most....

But this is just my limited experience from a couple of sessions of the flying phoenix system.

Sifu Terry will probably expound on this much greater and deeper way :)

In spite of the misunderstandings at time on this blog I am impressed how people handle the disputes eventually like gentlemen.

Considering how much values and standards seem to have lessened over the decades since I have been on this planet, I am now wondering if gentleman is still in use, or if it's original meaning is known by many?

My real point is that I have been on some other blogs and the way people treat each other there is really juvenile and anger filled with battles between egos and showing off knowledge, etc. So this Flying Phoenix thread is really well done with respect being prevalent.

For some reason i think it has to go with the "quality" and "purity" of energy that FP works with...

You see often the mopai threads are silly, and with lot of spite and anger,

So for practitioners of FP system, the heavenly qi connects us more to the dao which all anger, hate, and fighting are contrary with

• Like 1

Once you experience the FP sublime energy you can realize that the FP energy is energy of the one-power - heavenly qi thats closer to the frequency of the Dao than most....

But this is just my limited experience from a couple of sessions of the flying phoenix system.

Sifu Terry will probably expound on this much greater and deeper way :)

For some reason i think it has to go with the "quality" and "purity" of energy that FP works with...

You see often the mopai threads are silly, and with lot of spite and anger,

So for practitioners of FP system, the heavenly qi connects us more to the dao which all anger, hate, and fighting are contrary with

:)

• Thanks 1

This is a question for Terry (who is hopefully still monitoring the thread).

Early in the thread, you state:

My question is kind of philosophical or academic... This "energy" that builds in ones system, what is the source of it ?

Please note this is not skeptical, it is just a request for clarification. In other words, no "gotcha" involved. :)

(Almost all information on this topic seems to be solely concerned with results, which is understandable, considering that healing is a very important result to be concerned with.)

The source of the Flying Phoenix Heavenly Healing Chi--as the name of the art suggests--is, well, Heaven. And by the sublime and profound healing effects of this tangible and perceivable healing energy (visible to many), many practitioners have remarked that it's source can only be "heavenly" or "divine." I said it in a slightly different way when I first experienced the FP Qigong's healing energy in 1991: I remarked, "I cannot believe that any human being could have created this art." That sentiment has been echo'd by many FP practitioners over the past 22 years.

One taking rigorous scientific approach might say that the "source" of the Flying Phoenix Healing Energy that's cultivated and grows in cumulative manner in one's system from practicing this Qigong is you, the practitioner because the Qi that gets worked on "gong-ed" or "kung-ed" is the raw unrefined metabolic energy that exists in your cells that gets liberated, organized, cultivated and transformed into the distinctive Flying Phoenix healing energy through the alchemic process of this Qigong. But the moment one has practiced the FP Qigong correctly and the FP Healing Energy is cultivated within oneself, the FP Energy within one's microcosm connects to the macrocosmic "trunk" of this same energy and that is when one becomes completely enveloped and inflamed in the FP Healing Energy. As to the source of this trunk or channel of FP healing energy, one can only surmise that something divine and supremely compassionate created it.

Again, I encourage FP practitioners to master this art to a good extent (become versed in all the exercises of Vols 1 to 4 at the very least) and then go practice a different Qigong system and qualitatively compare the FP Healing Energy to the energy cultivated by any other authentic Qigong system.

Hope this helps.

Sifu Terry Dunn

www.taichimania.com/chikung_catalog.html

• Like 2

Hi all -

I believe this has been mentioned a few times, but I'd like to confirm that FPCK practice is enhanced by practice in groups. My longtime girlfriend and I, who have been separated by a great distance for about a year, are living together again and have started practicing qigong. She hasn't had the time to practice very much during the last year, but we both are noticing a wonderful surge of heavenly energy gracing us during our sessions - that same same quality of energy I've been tapping into, but even more accessible. Perhaps this is especially enhanced when practiced with a significant other/loved one?

Since we're both blessed with lots of free time presently, we're going to start a 100 day "gong" (already months in the planning) this Monday. This will include 2 hours of FPCK every morning, among other practices and a healthy diet. We'll both be doing 18 reps of Bending the Bows, along with volume 3 and volume 2. I will do volume 7 and gradually incorporate volume 4 into my standing practice.

We just did 18 reps of BTB this morning along with Moonbeam and some MSW. When we were finished, my girlfriend exclaimed "Das war geil!" (That was awesome!)

• Like 3

Thanks to zen-bear for your extensive reply to my question.

And speaking of your "zen-bear" concept, in case you are not aware of other precedents for thefts by studios, of material presented to them, go to:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babylon_5

and scroll all the way down to:

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine controversy

Edited by Coaster
  • Like 2

To address the post about chi kung being enhanced by group practice I can confirm that. At work we do a chi kung group daily, it is not FP because our group members would not be able to do the breathing sequence. But the energy is stronger when the group is larger. I feel this is in my hands.

Hi all -

I believe this has been mentioned a few times, but I'd like to confirm that FPCK practice is enhanced by practice in groups. My longtime girlfriend and I, who have been separated by a great distance for about a year, are living together again and have started practicing qigong. She hasn't had the time to practice very much during the last year, but we both are noticing a wonderful surge of heavenly energy gracing us during our sessions - that same same quality of energy I've been tapping into, but even more accessible. Perhaps this is especially enhanced when practiced with a significant other/loved one?

Since we're both blessed with lots of free time presently, we're going to start a 100 day "gong" (already months in the planning) this Monday. This will include 2 hours of FPCK every morning, among other practices and a healthy diet. We'll both be doing 18 reps of Bending the Bows, along with volume 3 and volume 2. I will do volume 7 and gradually incorporate volume 4 into my standing practice.

We just did 18 reps of BTB this morning along with Moonbeam and some MSW. When we were finished, my girlfriend exclaimed "Das war geil!" (That was awesome!)

Glad to hear you have a lot time to practice FP, and that FP can also be a "sharing" practice

Just a quick question open to everyone:

how long does it takes you (minutes) to do 18reps of BTB?

Thanks to zen-bear for your extensive reply to my question.

And speaking of your "zen-bear" concept, in case you are not aware of other precedents for thefts by studios, of material presented to them, go to:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babylon_5

and scroll all the way down to:

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine controversy

Hello Coaster,

Thanks for the consolation links to other notable thefts of intellectual property by hollywood film studios. It is a sad fact that virtually all of them do it, and that some of them do it a lot more than the others and as a matter of corporate policy. My fight for justice and reparations in the theft of my story outline titled "The Adventures of Zen-Bear, the Kung-Fu Panda" (WGA-registered 2004) and several copyrighted and registered works predating that is at a pause (on hiatus). That will probably be about a 2-year pause. The good news is that I have been fully "back" to the business of teaching, producing a PBS television series, and authoring new DVD's and books. The FP Qigong book is evolving nicely, although I still cannot give an estimate as to a publication date.

Best,

Sifu Terry

A special announcement to all Flying Phoenix Chi Kung practitioners:

I am available for online private tutorials in Flying Phoenix Heavenly Healing Qigong (Fei Feng San Gung) via Skype video-conferencing and Facetime (Mac devices). My aim is to get all serious FP practitioners fully versed in the basic level of the FP Qigong system (contained in the six volumes of my Chi Kung For Health dvd series) within 2.5 to 3 years from the time they started practice so that they can demonstrate verifiable healing ability.

For those interested in private lessons via Skype or Facetime in Flying Phoenix Qigong, the cost of private online lessons is slightly less than an in-person private lesson given by me in Los Angeles.

In addition to lessons in FP Qigong, I am also offering Form Correction lessons in Yang Tai Chi Chuan as well as remedial form and body mechanics lessons in almost any animal-inspired/based southern kung fu system. I am also available to teach beginners (and experienced martial artists): (A) basic Bok Fu Pai Kung Fu forms and ( B ) Five basic animal forms of Tao Tan Pai Kung Fu ("Taoist Elixir Method"), and parallel to the 5 TTP Animal Forms, I also will be teaching © the entire Tao Tan Pai Basic Level 31 Neikung exercises for health and healing.

For those interested in such online tutorials, please contact me at this email address to set up a free, 10-minute intake interview:

[email protected]

Fees will be disclosed during the intake session. (They have not changed since Fu_doggy started this discussion thread in 2009.)

I have already had great success teaching Flying Phoenix Qigong using Skype/Facetime and you will be seeing reviews posted soon by the early adopters of my live Qigong lessons through the internet. Fortunately, the FP Qigong lends itself quite well to this medium!

Best Regards to all,

Sifu Terry Dunn

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 2

How long does it take to do 18 reps of BTB?

I honestly have been afraid to look at the clock for that, LOL. I would rather not know since it is lengthy.

That is great news about a PBS series down the road sometime. That should result in Flying Phoenix spreading its wings and really soaring. Compare that to Lee Holden's PBS series on chi kung. I tried his dvd from that series just one time as it seemed more like calisthenics.

Yes, neither do I! :D

But for now I have time for two practice sections a day, one standing of 1h and one sitting of 1h30'. So, with the help of a gentle alarm, I divide my standing practice in 3 section of 20minutes per exercise.

In 20 minutes I usually do 7/8 reps of BTB.

My question is just to get an idea of other practitioners speed of movments, maybe is just mental masturbation.. :P

pitisukha -

In general the slower the movements the better. The longer I have practiced, the slower my movements have become....and the more powerful the energy.

So, 20 minutes for 7 to 8 repetitions of BTB sounds pretty good to me.

I'll let someone else answer your question regarding how long it takes them to do 18 repetitions. I have a feeling mileage may vary. ;-)

Lloyd

i think i tried to make this point earlier. the time a form takes varies from person to person based on their experience and back ground and varies with length of having practiced and finally varies with other minor factors so that length of time is almost irrelevant for beginners. Do the form slowly absolutely, Sifu Dunn's examples are a perfectly good starting point, but most important is to actually feel the flow of qi. Too slow or too fast and you won't feel it as a beginner keep to Sifu's presentation rate. Feeling the flow is also not the same as 'imagining the flow' or visualizing it. When you feel it you will know it.

my long form practice takes much longer now than it did in the beginning, do it slower than Sifu's demonstration (after almost 3 years) that is also true for some of the seated meditations, but some of them remain about the same timing as shown on the dvd's, because that is where the flow of qi for that form is for me now.

this does inject a measure of uncertainty in how long a given practice session will last so that I have to always allow more time than the form actually takes.

• Like 1

I'm reading through the thread when I have spare time, but it is 165 pages, so excuse if this has been covered before.

Suppose the breathing for an exercise is 90-70-20 (not referring to any specific combination, just a made up example). If what one actually breathes is 90-60-20, will that prevent the exercise from having much or any effect, or will it just be somewhat less effective, and still work ?

Since the percentage numbers are expressed with some precision, is that much precision entirely necessary or just a goal ?

If this question has already been posed before, then if someone can repeat the answer, that would be appreciated.

Chiming in to post my review of my private lesson with Sifu Terry on Skype!

Some background about me: have been practicing FPQG on and off, and much more consistently in the last year, for a total of over 3 years now. I had some concerns about my technique and other questions for Sifu Terry, so I decided it would be best to ask him in private. Outside of qigong/meditation, I do a standard 5x5 heavy lifting routine, 3 times a week, which although great for muscular gains, had inducedced a lot of deep muscular tension which FPQG has been amazing at "unknotting".

During the consultation, Sifu Terry asked some questions about myself and my practice, and then we went on to live technique corrections. He went well out of his way to make sure I clearly understood his answers, and took a lot of time to explain the history/methdology behind the practice, as well as some more advanced stuff not mentioned on the DVDs or forums that proved to be incredibly useful.

So with some very simple tweaking, the return I'm getting on the practice has skyrocketed. After the corrections, I started feeling energy flow in certain areas that I never had before, tendons/ligaments popping back into alignment, and a heightened sense of well-being.

I am really grateful for Sifu Terry's help. I just wish I had the possibility to visit him in person in LA. I've talked with him about how I'm quite interested in becoming a certified FPQG instructor, so I probably will end up flying there quite soon, though.

If you feel for whatever reason you're not getting the most out of your FP practice, or really just want to take it to the next level, you can't go wrong with the private instruction sessions.

• Like 5

I wanted to comment on how slow we should go while doing FP. I only recall "do the movements at the speed of a shifting sand dune."

I think this is in some cases slower than is demonstrated on the dvds because Sifu Terry has to get all of the instruction in but has time and space constraints on those videos so he has to go faster to get it all in on time. Especially with volume 7 we should be going at slowest possible pace as that is evident when doing those meditations. The chi just feels so much thicker as your hands cut through the air when you move them slower than slow.

• Like 2

I'm reading through the thread when I have spare time, but it is 165 pages, so excuse if this has been covered before.

Suppose the breathing for an exercise is 90-70-20 (not referring to any specific combination, just a made up example). If what one actually breathes is 90-60-20, will that prevent the exercise from having much or any effect, or will it just be somewhat less effective, and still work ?

Since the percentage numbers are expressed with some precision, is that much precision entirely necessary or just a goal ?

If this question has already been posed before, then if someone can repeat the answer, that would be appreciated.

Good question. I think this has been asked before, but I've been considering the breathing sequences lately and I want to offer my beginner's perspective until a senior practitioner addresses this:

The breathing sequences held in different positions help train you to breathe freely and naturally in different positions that might otherwise obstruct your breathing. Different positions, like standing verses seated or arms elevated (as in Monk Holding Peach) vs arms rested and lowered (as in Monk Holding Pearl), might be more difficult to keep and breathe naturally. I think this is related to the precision of the breathing sequence you asked about; generally it may be more difficult getting close to an exact number (30 for instance) for a particular meditation, while others are easier. So... maybe this isn't a direct answer, but clearing the energy channels so that you can hold certain positions more naturally (which comes with time and practice) and breathing more precisely are sort of two sides of the same coin?? At least that's been my experience, hope it makes sense. Anyone with a more informed answer please chime in!

My understanding from reading this thread about the breathing sequence is that it moves the chi in a certain pattern automatically. This happens internally and I think people that are very experienced doing chi kung can feel this flow in the parts of the body. The rest of us usually just feel chi moving in the hands or maybe a tingle or so in the forehead. Speaking for myself, of course :ph34r: .

Edited by tao stillness

To Coaster's question about breathing sequences: you want to perform the percentage breathing with precision, however, if you are off a little as in your example you will still get good effects. The important thing if you are a little off is that the breaths are maintained relative to each other in the sequence. (Relatively, 60 is less than 90, 20 less than 60). In your example of a 90-70-20 that was actually done 90-60-20, while not ideal, it would still yield benefits. What would not be OK is if the breathing percentages changed relative to one another, for example 90-20-70. That just would not work because the relative values would be substantially different. Hopefully this makes sense.

• Like 1

I wanted to comment on how slow we should go while doing FP. I only recall "do the movements at the speed of a shifting sand dune."

I think this is in some cases slower than is demonstrated on the dvds because Sifu Terry has to get all of the instruction in but has time and space constraints on those videos so he has to go faster to get it all in on time. Especially with volume 7 we should be going at slowest possible pace as that is evident when doing those meditations. The chi just feels so much thicker as your hands cut through the air when you move them slower than slow.

Thank you very much, Steve, for posting a pretty accurate explanation of why during most of the demonstrations of the the Adv. seated ("Monk Serves Wine") Meditations on Volume 7, I move faster on the DVD's. Besides the self-imposed time constraint on DVD program of 60 minutes, I demonstrated the movements of each meditation a little faster just so that a viewer's visual memory can operate. If I did the demonstrations at the speed at which I normally practice--i.e., at shifting sand-dune speed, it would take more than 5 minutes in some cases and a viewer would never to be able to remember the sequence by watching one run-through!

As the Samuel Jackson character said quite loudly to the Tim Roth and Amanda Plummer characters at the end of "Pulp Fiction" after asking them the question of what Fonzie is like or advocates and the Amanda Plummer character answered: "be cool"): "Correctamundo!"

The speed that all beginning FP practitioner should move at is as slowly as possible: imagining and thereby approaching the speed of a shifting sand dune. The more one attempts to move at this speed, the sooner one is able to move at that speed and thereby begin to attain total mind-body integration and the allostatic state where one can conduct the FP healing energy. And in controlling the movement at the slowest speed imaginable effects a special type of mind-body integration where one actually feels like one is "seeing the world through one's hands." It's a profound sensation. Try it. You'll like it.

(And, ah, for those out there who are sand-dune-challenged: Keep trying it until you break that speed-barrier! You will be glad you did. As per the I Ching, "Perseverance furthers."

Best,

Sifu Terry

To Coaster's question about breathing sequences: you want to perform the percentage breathing with precision, however, if you are off a little as in your example you will still get good effects. The important thing if you are a little off is that the breaths are maintained relative to each other in the sequence. (Relatively, 60 is less than 90, 20 less than 60). In your example of a 90-70-20 that was actually done 90-60-20, while not ideal, it would still yield benefits. What would not be OK is if the breathing percentages changed relative to one another, for example 90-20-70. That just would not work because the relative values would be substantially different. Hopefully this makes sense.

Thanks, Lloyd, for this responding to Coaster's question with this perfectly clear and accurate explanation on the "tolerances" of doing the Flying Phoenix breath-control sequences a little off!

Sifu Terry

Hi all -

Hello Alles--

I'm so glad to hear that you and your girlfriend have discovered the cumulative and "multiplier" effect of doing the FP Qigong in close proximity. As I mentioned early in the thread, every time i teach an FP Meditation class for 90 to 120 minutes, the larger the group, the deeper and more pronounced, the soothing-energizing and rejuvenating effects, and the more the group's energy positively affects various people in the facility (in other rooms of the studio).

Yes, 18 reps of Bending The Bows is an excellent exercise to do together. You will find that the more you practice BTB or any of the "basic level" FP Meditations, when you practice together, the more experienced FP Practitioiner will open and create a channel of FP Healing Energy for the other relatively less experienced practitioner and the latter will "slipstream" and absorb the energy in that channel (but not the personal energy of the more experienced FP Practioner). I regularly do that for my FP Qigong students during classes and private lessons.

Keep up the solid practice, Alles, and enjoy!

Best,

Sifu Terry

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 2

For some reason I don't get the concept of moving at the speed of a shifting sand dune, probably I've never seen one :D

Is this a good exemple?

Anyway "moving as slow as possible" is pretty clear! So can we say there's not a limit in slowing the movments, a part for being still.

Edited by pitisukha
  • Like 1

Last month I did Flying Phoenix literally on top of a sand dune every morning in front of the Atlantic Ocean on a vacation at the Outter Banks, NC. I have to admit that I never saw the dunes moving. And when I do my FP movements slower than slow, I have to admit that at times it feels like my hands are not moving.

• Like 1

For some reason I don't get the concept of moving at the speed of a shifting sand dune, probably I've never seen one :D

Is this a good exemple?

Anyway "moving as slow as possible" is pretty clear! So can we say there's not a limit in slowing the movments, a part for being still.

Ack, I'll rate that sand dune shifting a "C-minus".

There are subtly-invisibly shifting sand dunes in Volume Seven of the CKFH DVD series, teaching 5 Advanced Seated "Monk Serves Wine" Meditations--as the entire program was filmed outdoors in Death Valley's dunes. However, at sunset on one day during the shoot of Vol.7, the shifting of the sand dunes was actually quite visible: the wind was so strong that the footage looked like the scene from "Lawrence of Arabia" when Lawrence was crossing Sinai to get to Cairo with his 2 young guides. *Maybe I'll edit in a clip of the sand storm to give future viewers the definitive reference images of "the speed of a shifting sand dune"!!*

Btw, regarding what causes a sand dune to shift: during the demonstration of one of seated meditations on Volume 7 (where I'm filmed in profile) a nice little whirlwind aka a beauty of a tall "dust devil" (mini-tornado) rolls across the desert floor in the distant background. One principle of the Taoist worldview is that the same natural processes seen on the macrocosmic level (i.e., the spiral nebula) can also be seen on the microcosmic level--e.g., within the body. So, think about that dust devil whirling across the desert floor and how that image and process might apply to your intention to move your body.

The whirlwind crossing the desert floor was the magical moment--and a good omen--during the Chi Kung For Health DVD shoot in 2003--akin to the flight of seagulls swooping into the video frame just as I was doing the kicking series in Section 2 of the Yang Long Form in 1989, when i was shooting the opening sequence (silhouetted at sunset on rocks at Palos Verdes Beach, CA--seen in the Menu Page of the "Tai Chi For Health, Yang Long Form" DVD.)

Ha! --More incentive and impetus to get intermediate FP practitioners out there to practice to Volume 7, which is the coup de grace of this FP Qigong system (or whatever one would call the "finishing stroke" in a sublime healing context).

Thanks for your sand dune post, Pitisukha!

Sifu Terry

www.taichimania.com/taichi_catalog.html

Edited by zen-bear

Hello Sifu Terry,

Following your advice I began going back to doing Bending the Bow before doing the seated meds. So this morning I did BTB and then MSW 90 80 50 20, the energizing one. Usually, I would start my chi kung routine with the Energizer but this time I did the standing med BTB first and it sure made a difference in how much more chi I could feel in my hands when I did the seated MSW med. I look forward to having a Skype lesson with you as soon as I can steal time to learn vol. 3.

Steve

• Like 1

Hello Sifu Terry,

Following your advice I began going back to doing Bending the Bow before doing the seated meds. So this morning I did BTB and then MSW 90 80 50 20, the energizing one. Usually, I would start my chi kung routine with the Energizer but this time I did the standing med BTB first and it sure made a difference in how much more chi I could feel in my hands when I did the seated MSW med. I look forward to having a Skype lesson with you as soon as I can steal time to learn vol. 3.

Hi Steve,

Glad you found the suggestion helpful. As I've explained from the start of the thread, the basic standing FP Meditations are all stronger than the basic seated meditations, even though one may not be able to tell at first because the seated FP Meditations enables one to feel the Qi in the hands, head and torso almost immediately. But the standing FP Meditations are stronger from my experience and as explained by GM Doo Wai. So balance and anchor your daily practice with a couple of the standing meditations.

In general, beginners should not be just the seated FP Meditations of Volume 2 without the standing meidtations--unless they are debilitated and cannot stand, of course.

Will be glad to work with you online whenever you're versed with the FP Meditations on Volume 3 or sooner.

Best,

Sifu Terry