Fu_dog

Flying Phoenix Chi Kung

Sifu - Excellent answer to my question about using FP to alleviate illness, thanks.

As my cold symptoms from about a week ago morphed to sinusitis and bronchitis, I must admit I missed about a week of FP because after work every day I was really exhausted and went straight to bed. (It would have been a great idea to take off from work to rest/recover, but I didn't want to use the PTO days.)

So now I have a sinusitis/bronchitis that's settled in and antibiotics aren't getting rid of them. So yesterday I started a program of accelerated Flying Phoenix practice with the specific goal of a faster healing from this bothersome infection. Lot's of people I know have this same sinusitis/bronchitis, and many are going on 6 weeks and still are not over it. I want to crush this illness with FP! B)

I'll let the board know of my results.

Hi Fu_Dog,

Sorry to hear that you have a cold developed into bronchitis. That's serious. I hope you lie low and follow all standard remedies prescribed by western medicine and don't let it develop into pneumonia.

I think that little bit of FP Qigong practice is good to restore your immune system and may be effective in preventing a worsening of the condition. But be careful: don't let your enthusiasm for FP Qigong cause you to rely on it solely to "crush" an illness.

(I was lucky to have caught the head cold early enough to use the usual barrage of cold remedies and early enough so that I still could breathe through my sinuses and do FP Qigong. Also, because I have been practicing FP Qigong now for 20+ years, the sequence of exercises I practiced kicked in or tapped into the deeper reserve of FP healing energy...I could actually feel my immune system "pull together" and tune-up, accompanied by a comfortable tightening of the energy (not muscles) at the back of the head, neck and shoulders. And this is after the the usual energy "washing" sensation one feels inside the skull.)

Thanks for keeping the thread abreast of your battle for health.

Best,

Sifu Terry

It's cool to see that someone is here teaching the Tao Ahn Pai. I first came to TB when I was leaving California and hoping to find someone teaching Tao Ahn Pai. Unfortunately I never got a chance to meet Sifu Lew. A friend of mine is his student. Honestly, if I could train under anyone, it would be Sifu Lew. I hope he and Mrs. Juanita are doing well!

Hello Prince,

If you're interested in studying under Sifu Lew, you might try contacting Bill Helm, Director of the Taoist Sanctuary in San Diego, to see if he can put you in touch with him. But I believe GM Share Lew has not been teaching at the Taoist Sanctuary for many years.

Regards,

Sifu Terry Dunn

Edited by zen-bear

Hello Prince,

If you're interested in studying under Sifu Lew, you might try contacting Bill Helm, Director of the Taoist Sanctuary in San Diego, to see if he can put you in touch with him. But I believe GM Share Lew has not been teaching at the Taoist Sanctuary for many years.

Regards,

Sifu Terry Dunn

Thanks for your reply. I'm actually friends with one of Sifu's students-- he is the person who introduced me to Qigong and Taoism! I used to email Sifu's wife regularly about his touring schedule, but I think the best thing for me to do is wait for an opportunity to attend one of his fall workshops that my friend advertises on Facebook.

Pure juices like fresh melon juices made from a juicer and pure apple juice not from concentrate are good to help the body heal itself. But if all you have is juice made from concentrate drink it. Pure is better. The cool energy from these fruits helps the body to heal. It is not good to do qigong during a thunderstorm or when you are ill. We maintain a high level of positive healing energy within us from doing this form of chi gung.

Peace love and respect!

Edited by Sillum

OK, as a follow up to my last post where I was fighting sinusitis/bronchitis and decided in addition to antibiotics to also practice an accelerated Flying Phoenix schedule to try to accelerate my recovery.

I am happy to report that with a program of Flying Phoenix twice a day, I was able to knock out the illness in a relatively short period of time. I found the healing effects to be excellent. So, I did crush it with FP. B)

Then, I had a delayed allergic reaction to the antibiotics that was even worse than the original illness.....and those Western drugs crushed me.

Note to self: Next time find a Chinese herbologists.

OK, as a follow up to my last post where I was fighting sinusitis/bronchitis and decided in addition to antibiotics to also practice an accelerated Flying Phoenix schedule to try to accelerate my recovery.

I am happy to report that with a program of Flying Phoenix twice a day, I was able to knock out the illness in a relatively short period of time. I found the healing effects to be excellent. So, I did crush it with FP. B)

Then, I had a delayed allergic reaction to the antibiotics that was even worse than the original illness.....and those Western drugs crushed me.

Note to self: Next time find a Chinese herbologists.

Hi Lloyd,

Thanks for your interesting and candid report on the efficacy of Flying Phoenix Qigong to beat back the sinusitis/bronchitis. My experience with the cold I recently had (first cold in many, many years; I can't remember the last cold I had) is that the Flying Phoenix Qigong practice will definitely accelerate recovery once one has gotten past the worst toxemia or peak manifestation of the cold symptoms. Thinking back, when I had gotten over the worst of the symptoms on Day 3, I could literally feel my immune system "fall back into place" stronger, and then eradicate the light residual symptoms within a matter of hours. Within a 6 hour period, I went from mild sore throat, light cough, and slight sniffles/runny nose to no symptoms whatsoever. I was surprised and delighted to realize all of a sudden,"Hey, no more symptoms...I'm 100% back to normal health!"

I don't believe--nor have I experienced--that FP Qigong can knock out the common cold at its inception. But I do know from experience that once one has gotten over the worst of a cold, the FP energy will make the recovery/return to health that much faster.

Regards,

Sifu Terry

Edited by zen-bear

Sifu Terry,

Back in Sep '11 you mentioned two meditations that will aid with hair rejuvenation.

If you don't mind, could you post which DVDs they are on and what the DVD titles are?

Thanks,

Nic

sifu dunn,

i don't expect you to remember, but in the past we have emailed as we tried to get the postal system to work -- your dvds didn't make it to me. :) / but then they did. :) / i am the one who had a head/neck injury and was unable to move (generally) for five months: no reading, watching tv, computering, walking, laughing, coughing etc. without immense head pain. even lying down hurt. naturally, running was no longer in the cards for me -- nor was farming, which i was doing at the time -- so i turned to your qigong series. i wasn't quite able to do it then either, as it hurt deeply to breathe deeply. but time has been passing and things have been getting better -- it will be two years this september, and i hope to be running (even if just once a week) again by then. for the last year, and especially the last six months, i have been able to practice (qigong) more carefully: about 4 days a week, an hour+ at a time. and now i have some questions -- and having read through all of these posts, hopefully i am not being redundant.

wind through treetops (80 50 30): may one perform a succession of these, or is it a single posture? and if one may do several in a row, does one do the three deep beaths to close out the pose, then do three deep breaths and the breath control sequence again to do it the second, etc. time?

monk serves wine (volume 2): i really really love the warm-ups, and the 90-80-50-20 posture, but find that to do the warmups and all three poses takes at least 1h15m, by which time i (at this stage of my work) have lost the focus to do the actual MSW (non-warmup) postures as well/slowly as i would like. is it possible to forgo the warm-ups and focus on the three main exercises? i ask this because you have lately mentioned the benefits of three MSW exercises ... // i would not completely forgo the MSW warmups, as i find them beneficial, ... i have been sprinkling them in at other times, or letting them stand-alone. // or i could just suck it up. :)

bending the bows: a question of speed, time, and repetition. at the moment i have been doing one cycle in about 70-75 breaths (looking at the numbers, it's about 10 breaths/minute). is there something 'magical' (by which i mean 'functional' in a way that shouldn't be necessary to explain, but should just be accepted, explored, and at some point understood) ... magical about doing a certain number of repetitions. say, 5, 7, or 9? i have been doing at least 7 (about 50 minutes), and then continuing without counting, or just stopping, based on how i feel. i have really enjoyed it like this, and have found that i like not worrying about an exact number of repetitions to perform; that this frees me to just go somewhat slowly. but if the number matters, then it matters. :)

on food: you have mentioned that solid food in some way negates the continuation of this qigong work. could you elaborate on this? / i usually do my qigong after work or in the morning, both of which are before a meal. am i in some way wasting my time by doing this? in the long run, would it be substantially more useful to practice at a time which isn't followed by a meal?

i apologize for the length of this. though i have your email, i thought a post/response here would be to the benefit of all.

take care,

sifu dunn,

i don't expect you to remember, but in the past we have emailed as we tried to get the postal system to work -- your dvds didn't make it to me. :) / but then they did. :) / i am the one who had a head/neck injury and was unable to move (generally) for five months: no reading, watching tv, computering, walking, laughing, coughing etc. without immense head pain. even lying down hurt. naturally, running was no longer in the cards for me -- nor was farming, which i was doing at the time -- so i turned to your qigong series. i wasn't quite able to do it then either, as it hurt deeply to breathe deeply. but time has been passing and things have been getting better -- it will be two years this september, and i hope to be running (even if just once a week) again by then. for the last year, and especially the last six months, i have been able to practice (qigong) more carefully: about 4 days a week, an hour+ at a time. and now i have some questions -- and having read through all of these posts, hopefully i am not being redundant.

wind through treetops (80 50 30): may one perform a succession of these, or is it a single posture? and if one may do several in a row, does one do the three deep beaths to close out the pose, then do three deep breaths and the breath control sequence again to do it the second, etc. time?

monk serves wine (volume 2): i really really love the warm-ups, and the 90-80-50-20 posture, but find that to do the warmups and all three poses takes at least 1h15m, by which time i (at this stage of my work) have lost the focus to do the actual MSW (non-warmup) postures as well/slowly as i would like. is it possible to forgo the warm-ups and focus on the three main exercises? i ask this because you have lately mentioned the benefits of three MSW exercises ... // i would not completely forgo the MSW warmups, as i find them beneficial, ... i have been sprinkling them in at other times, or letting them stand-alone. // or i could just suck it up. :)

bending the bows: a question of speed, time, and repetition. at the moment i have been doing one cycle in about 70-75 breaths (looking at the numbers, it's about 10 breaths/minute). is there something 'magical' (by which i mean 'functional' in a way that shouldn't be necessary to explain, but should just be accepted, explored, and at some point understood) ... magical about doing a certain number of repetitions. say, 5, 7, or 9? i have been doing at least 7 (about 50 minutes), and then continuing without counting, or just stopping, based on how i feel. i have really enjoyed it like this, and have found that i like not worrying about an exact number of repetitions to perform; that this frees me to just go somewhat slowly. but if the number matters, then it matters. :)

on food: you have mentioned that solid food in some way negates the continuation of this qigong work. could you elaborate on this? / i usually do my qigong after work or in the morning, both of which are before a meal. am i in some way wasting my time by doing this? in the long run, would it be substantially more useful to practice at a time which isn't followed by a meal?

i apologize for the length of this. though i have your email, i thought a post/response here would be to the benefit of all.

take care,

Hello Akinobo,

I'm glad to hear that you're doing better after your head/neck injury and that you're able to move better and partake in more of your normal activities. Great that you've been well enough to delve into the FP Chi Kung. It will definitely help and accelerate your recovery to whatever extent recovery is possible. A practice schedule of four days a week, more than 1 hour per practice session is baseline sufficient to derive health benefits from the FP Qigong. (See if you can gradually manage a schedule of 7 days a week, 1 hour per day or more.)

Answer to your questions (don't worry about redundancy...it's hard to find my answer to the exact same question within 2.5 years of postings on this thread):

1) wind through treetops (80 50 30): may one perform a succession of these, or is it a single posture? and if one may do several in a row, does one do the three deep beaths to close out the pose, then do three deep breaths and the breath control sequence again to do it the second, etc. time?

This exercise is NOT done in multiple repetitions following one breath count. It is done with one round of the movements per one breath control sequence at the start. If you want to do more than one repetition, you take three deep breathes at the end of one round of movements, take a short break of a few minutes, and then start a new round with another breath control sequence of 80 50 30. The same is true for "Wind Above the Clouds" (50 40 30) and Moonbeam Splashes on Water (90 60 50 20), which I just did this afternoon along with Advanced Level 2 FP Standing Meditations.

2) monk serves wine (volume 2): i really really love the warm-ups, and the 90-80-50-20 posture, but find that to do the warmups and all three poses takes at least 1h15m, by which time i (at this stage of my work) have lost the focus to do the actual MSW (non-warmup) postures as well/slowly as i would like. is it possible to forgo the warm-ups and focus on the three main exercises? i ask this because you have lately mentioned the benefits of three MSW exercises ... // i would not completely forgo the MSW warmups, as i find them beneficial, ... i have been sprinkling them in at other times, or letting them stand-alone. // or i could just suck it up. :)

Yes, it is possible to forego the 3 warmup meditations for a while--or at least drastically shorten your practice of each one to 5-10 minutes--because you've established their energetics over 5 months of practice of 1.25 hr. 4x a week. And it's perfectly fine to "sprinkle them in" to your practice whenever you feel the urge. You will find that these 3 seated "warmup" meditations on Vol.2 are not so "basic" the more you practice the system. If you've done them for a number of months and enjoy them, you don't have to spend 1.25 hour on doing them (if you have the time spending 75 min. on the 3 seated warmups is excellent practice, btw--very, very grounding and you can't go wrong with this type of slow establishment of the root exercises)...you can cut back on the duration your practice each one to just 5 or 10 minutes to give you more time to do the "meat" of the seated system, the "Monk Serves Wine" Meditations. Yes, i did offer the geometrically incremental energy effects of doing three Monk Serves Wine meditations done back to back to back. Any three of them done in any order will produce profoundly accelerated energy effects...even more so if one does the Advanced MSW Meditations of Volume 7 three at a time.

3) bending the bows: a question of speed, time, and repetition. at the moment i have been doing one cycle in about 70-75 breaths (looking at the numbers, it's about 10 breaths/minute). is there something 'magical' (by which i mean 'functional' in a way that shouldn't be necessary to explain, but should just be accepted, explored, and at some point understood) ... magical about doing a certain number of repetitions. say, 5, 7, or 9? i have been doing at least 7 (about 50 minutes), and then continuing without counting, or just stopping, based on how i feel. i have really enjoyed it like this, and have found that i like not worrying about an exact number of repetitions to perform; that this frees me to just go somewhat slowly. but if the number matters, then it matters. :)

Your speed of practicing "Bending the Bows" is excellent. one round per every 70-75 breathes is a vey good speed for this Qigong; 7 rounds every 50 minutes is sure to impart many tangible health benefits...not to mention perfect your kung-fu form no matter while you might (or might not) practice. Once you feel that you are extremely relaxed--to the point where you do not feel your body at all while moving--i.e., your movements are "frictionless" and your mind and body are quietly integrated., you can move at a faster speed and do more repetitions within a certain period of time. It's the quality of the relaxed, full integration of consciousness with movement that counts. If you are able to "stop the world" in meditation, you will realize that you can move at any speed in this frictionless state. Again, master the basic FP meditations at the slowest speed possible. Once they are correctly established, you can do them at faster speed to the same--if not greater--effect. And NO, there is magic to the number of repetitions you do of BTB--except for the truth of: the more the better. towards that maxim, we do the Bending the Bows in sets of 18 repeitiions if possible. At the start, since you are doing 7 rounds per 50 minutes, you may not always have the time to do 18 rounds, which would take you 100 minutes plus 4/7 x 50 minutes = just under 140 minutes.

4) Regarding food: There is no real "cancellation" effect of eating food after practicing FP Qigong if yo wait at least 30-40 minutes after the session ends before you take food. I posted the advice of eating food should one want to dampen or completely subdue and calm the involuntary muscular vibratory effects of the FP Qigong or any other Bok Fu Pai internal exercise (martial or healing). i.e., if one wanted to shut down the vibratory effects of an FP meditation, one can simply eat solid food as one means. One can and should be able to eventually mentally stop any energetic/vibratory effect of the FP Meditations within one's body.

Hope this helps.

Keep up the good practice--you're doing great. And let me know what health benefits you are experiencing from this practice.

Best,

Sifu Terry Dunn

Edited by zen-bear

Hello Sifu Terry,

Since you suggested doing the FPCK meditations in the morning immediately after getting out of bed, I started getting up early and doing the long form every day, and recently added Wind Through Tree Tops right after it. Strategically it is very effective in terms of using time efficiently. After a 50 minutes' Qigong while I am in half-sleep mode, it is a wonderful way to really wake up standing, full of energy and light to start a day!

I also do at least 2 more changing FP standing/moving exercises as well as 2 other meditations each day.

A while ago, a block on my spine close to my heart opened, and since then I carry the energy of this Qigong all day long. The feeling of it is always different than the previous day, but it is almost always with me.

My system is in an adaptation period, I become tired early in the eveningsand need a really good sleep for the last couple of months.

The moving meditations go very smoothly. I will also add the other intermediate moving exercise in the morning session when I can get up a little earlier without forcing myself, then I will have complete complementing set.

I am somehow also obsessed with Monk Holding Peach.I do it every day. It feels like I try to ride a crazy beast. At first, I was wriggling a bit, but nowadays, the more I relax and breathe deep, the more I shake and blast a powerful energy from my hands/heart/brow at the same time. Today, it was impossible to stay still and keep my fingers together, I had to restrain it as I feared I might injure my neck if I let it go completely :) The energy seems to hit a block/blocks somewhere, and I am incapable of feeling where it is. Sometimes, a thin line on my spine between my tailbone and shoulder blades feels very hot while doing this exercise but all these effects feel OK and safe so far. I will either domesticate this beast, or the opposite will happen eventually.

Anyways, I just wanted to give some information on my progress on FPCK

Thanks again, and the best of everything to all the Bums :wub:

Cihan

Cihan -

Excellent progress report...thanks for keeping us posted! Not Sifu Terry, but I can offer a few thoughts:

Regarding your practice of MHP and the fact that the energy gives you an energy blast, I don't believe that's uncommon. All of these powerful energy blasts you are feeling is your body becoming adjusted to the FP energy. Your body will eventually adjust....but it will take some time. No need to be in a hurry, just enjoy the journey.

When I first started practicing the FP system, the basic seated meditation #4 that starts 90 50 40 30 10 is the one that would generate such energy that it would literally feel like it was ripping my head off. In my case the FP energy felt both gentle and phenomenally powerful *at the same time*. It sometimes gave me spontaneous and almost violent movements if I didn't consciously curb them. And as is the case with you and MHP, the fourth seated FP meditation is also considered a "basic" exercise. As has been pointed out more than once on this forum, in actual practice people will soon find the "basic" Flying Phoenix exercises are not so basic.

In my case it took a little over a year for my body to adjust so the FP energy, i.e., so I didn't feel like that enormous energy blast in my neck and head when I was doing basic seated #4. That said, I have been practicing FP over 2 years now and I still get a good jolt or two from the FP exercises if I am not in an energetic balance. Over time Flying Phoenix provides you with an excellent energetic balance, as that's one of the characteristics I have noticed. I feel like I am *still* gaining new things energetically from the practice of FP. I don't know where the ceiling is, but I know I haven't reached it.

Keep us posted on your practice Cihan!

Hi Cihan,

My comments are in bold italic below:

Hello Sifu Terry,

Since you suggested doing the FPCK meditations in the morning immediately after getting out of bed, I started getting up early and doing the long form every day, and recently added Wind Through Tree Tops right after it. Strategically it is very effective in terms of using time efficiently. After a 50 minutes' Qigong while I am in half-sleep mode, it is a wonderful way to really wake up standing, full of energy and light to

I also do at least 2 more changing FP standing/moving exercises as well as 2 other meditations each day.

start a day!

Your daily practice sequence of the Long Form Meditation followed by Wind Through Treetops is indeed an excellent way to wake up and is very organizing of one's energies. And then doing 2 more standing med's and 2 other FP med's each day is a solid practice!

A while ago, a block on my spine close to my heart opened, and since then I carry the energy of this Qigong all day long. The feeling of it is always different than the previous day, but it is almost always with me.

Glad to hear you had this breakthrough with the spine behind the heart! Shedding excessive encrustation of the thorax created as unnecessary protection of the heart (for fear of being attacked from behind) is a nice (and courageous) accomplishment. And necessary for advanced development in all Chinese internal arts. As Tai Chi Grandmaster William C.C. Chen teaches, one must "Open the metaphysical heartspace to activate the fingers."

My system is in an adaptation period, I become tired early in the eveningsand need a really good sleep for the last couple of months.

As you've been regularly practicing the FP Chi Kung, your desire to sleep more has arisen from your body telling your brain (and the brain finally acknowledging) that your system needs more rest and recuperation. One of the fruits of effective stress management via this Qigong.

The moving meditations go very smoothly. I will also add the other intermediate moving exercise in the morning session when I can get up a little earlier without forcing myself, then I will have complete complementing set.

I am somehow also obsessed with Monk Holding Peach.I do it every day. It feels like I try to ride a crazy beast. At first, I was wriggling a bit, but nowadays, the more I relax and breathe deep, the more I shake and blast a powerful energy from my hands/heart/brow at the same time. Today, it was impossible to stay still and keep my fingers together, I had to restrain it as I feared I might injure my neck if I let it go completely :) The energy seems to hit a block/blocks somewhere, and I am incapable of feeling where it is. Sometimes, a thin line on my spine between my tailbone and shoulder blades feels very hot while doing this exercise but all these effects feel OK and safe so far. I will either domesticate this beast, or the opposite will happen eventually.

Cihan, Monk Holding Peach indeed can be and has been a beastly carnival ride for many practitioners. But it is mild--yes, mild--compared to other Bok Fu Pai internal arts such as 10,000 Buddhas Meditations or Sifu Hearfield's Burning Palm System. All that you've described in terms of your involuntary movements--shaking, vibrating, writhing, jolts, etc.-- is absolutely normal and there is nothing to fear. Just keep practicing. (However, you might want to take a look at your diet--especially sugar and caffeine intake if you are fearing that you might injure your neck in MHP. Just a hunch based on my teaching experience.) As for the Beast behind MHP that you want to domesticate, I think that I will bet on It. Hee, hee. For that Beast has many names, and one of them Robert Plant gives as: "the pilot of the storm that leaves no trace." ;)

Anyways, I just wanted to give some information on my progress on FPCK

Thanks again, and the best of everything to all the Bums :wub:

Cihan

Thanks for the great progress report, Cihan. Keep up the excellent practice schedule.

Sifu Terry

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 2

Sifu Terry, thank you very much for your recommendations and time.

Best,

Cihan

Sifu Terry: I saw on White Tiger Kung Fu website that they are selling Flying Phoenix dvds of your Grandmaster teaching Flying Phoenix and they claim that the earlier dvd series are not necessary since the advanced meditations on their new dvd can be used without the previous series being practiced since the new dvd meditations are more powerful. I notice they no longer even sell the earlier dvd series. What do you think about skipping the foundation series of Flying Phoenix meditations?

Steve Mehlpost-86937-133557603958_thumb.jpg

:wacko: I said it once and Ill say it again, you need to start and learn the foundation which is still advance meditations of Sifu Terry Dunns series. If these are higher level and one doesnt need to learn the foundation why the hell would they have been created in the 1st place?

:wacko: I said it once and Ill say it again, you need to start and learn the foundation which is still advance meditations of Sifu Terry Dunns series. If these are higher level and one doesnt need to learn the foundation why the hell would they have been created in the 1st place?

I would love the Rizzo brothers to answer that astute observation!

The Rizzo Brothers sure must have thought their initial series of Flying Phoenix dvds was essential and then suddenly when a second series is produced the first series is not even worth doing any longer? Does this make sense? Yes, it sure sound like it makes a lot of cents, for them!

The Rizzo Brothers sure must have thought their initial series of Flying Phoenix dvds was essential and then suddenly when a second series is produced the first series is not even worth doing any longer? Does this make sense? Yes, it sure sound like it makes a lot of cents, for them!

As for volume one and volume two of Terry Dunn's Flying Phoenix Celestial Healing Chi Kung dvds being "basic" I would consider them anything but basic based on comparison of other chi kung systems that I have tried in the past 5 years. I have probably done about 10 different chi kung systems including one from a chi kung master who was voted top qigong master of the year by the World Congress of Qigong a few years ago. All of the different methods resulted in feeling chi flow in my hands but I could not pinpoint any results in daily activity so I kept seeking a chi kung method that would give me more noticeable results and then I read about Flying Phoenix Chi Kung claiming to give tangible, quick results in daily life. I was skeptical of the advertising but I ordered the dvds because I loved the name Flying Phoenix Celestial Healing Chi Kung and the story of the lineage. Being a sucker for good marketing I just had to give it a try, especially since the series is not expensive at all. Within just days of doing a few of the meditations I was not feeling any tiredness during my work day any longer. How rare for a product to really deliver what it advertises. I immediately dropped any other style of chi kung and kept up with FP morning and evening. I began staying up way past my bedtime and waking up early and still usually was not feeling tired during the day. Then recently after doing FP only for the past few months I stayed up one nite past 1am and set the alarm for 6am. I woke up an hour an a half before the alarm went off and did not feel tired during my work day. The results from FP could not be more tangible than that! I'm 64 years old and since doing Flying Phoenix Chi Kung I have more energy than I can ever remember having in my life! Then a friend of mine started to learn FP and in just a few days he reported feeling "a ball of chi spinning" in his hands. Both my friend and I have been involved with subtle energy for about the past 40 years and have been trained by one of the most eminent yogis in history and we have not come across anything that produces such profound energy so quickly and easily. I think only a very modest instructor would call these dvds "basic". I can only imagine what the FP advanced meditations would produce. Wish I would have learned this chi kung 38 years ago instead of the meditation that I learned back then. What a treasure to have stumbled upon.

The Flying Phoenix Chi Gung is a very safe system with tangible results. All of the chi gung taught by GM Doo Wai is great and a student will achieve great results (better health and other great things). You will feel the chi flow through your body. You will feel the chi tingling in your fingers, your hands, your body and your head etc. Some of our chi gung meditations must be done in sequences (one after another) and others do not.

Very healthy people who do these meditations may not shake or vibrate but should feel the energy surge through their body. People who are in poor health will shake and vibrate. The shaking is a sign that the meditations are working to unblock the energy (chi) channels and make us healthier. So if you are shaking violently after two years of doing this kind of chi cultivation and doing the same meditations you are still in poor health.

I was taught by GM Doo Wai to relax and never strain, while in meditation and to never try to control the shaking or vibrations etc. For example while doing a posture like monk viewing the moon. I was taught it is okay to allow the arms to rest after the breath control if my arms became too heavy during the meditation.

One thing that I have noticed if I get a cold it only lasts one day. Another thing I have noticed over the years is the chi gung meditations will let me know when I am catching a cold before I have the symptoms of a cold. I will shake a little during meditation.

In the beginning of my chi gung practice many years ago, I would shake my whole house and my windows would rattle while I was in meditation. At this point in my chi cultivation it is very rare for me to shake.

Remember, the stronger your chi cultivation, the stronger your sensitivity becomes. The more of this kind of chi gung you learn and cultivate the stronger your chi will become. The positive energy will flow through your body and just by a wave of your hand you will be able to heal others. And if anyone tells you otherwise beware. I have learned hundreds of meditations directly from GM Doo Wai and I still have a quite a few left to learn. GM Doo Wai is a great teacher.

Peace love and respect!

Edited by Sillum

Hi zen-bear. :) Fascinating! Could you speak more about this "unnecessary protection?"

Hi Rainbow Vein,

I was speaking specifically to Cihan's described symptom of tension in the upper back/thorax being dissolved by the FP Qigong exercise. One of the systems of holistic therapy I studied and helped develop in the 1980's looks at and identifies any injured part of the body that has relative tension, poor circulation, restricted movement from the natural norm, or any type of debilitation as a "body syndrome" or psychosomatic process and thus seeks to completely release such time-bound Pain by getting the subject/practitioner to acknowledge the original cause of the injury when the afflicted part of the body is being healed by Qigong such as Tao Tan Pai or Flying Phoenix. In Chinese culture,"energy healing" of course goes on all the time without any psychological counseling--and this has been the case for millenia. Understanding the originating circumstances (karma) of a body syndrome/injury not only accelerates healing and recovery, but it ensures more complete healing and remission, and also ensures that the person is less likely to repeat the injury or psychosomatic manifestation. I was making an intuitive educated guess that the chronic tightness/tension in Cihan's upper back muscles directly behind the heart (that he felt the FP Qigong effectively relieved) was the physiological manifestation of a psychological need to protect his heart from behind--from hidden or unexpected "attack." Purely an intuitive and remote diagnosis.

Hope this clarifies a bit.

Sifu Terry Dunn

Hi zen-bear. :) Fascinating! Could you speak more about this "unnecessary protection?"

Hi Rainbow Vein,

I was speaking specifically to Cihan's described symptom of tension in the upper back/thorax being dissolved by the FP Qigong exercise. One of the systems of holistic therapy I studied and helped develop in the 1980's looks at and identifies any injured part of the body that has relative tension, poor circulation, restricted movement from the natural norm, or any type of debilitation as a "body syndrome" or psychosomatic process and thus seeks to completely release such time-bound Pain by getting the subject/practitioner to acknowledge the original cause of the injury when the afflicted part of the body is being healed by Qigong such as Tao Tan Pai or Flying Phoenix. In Chinese culture,"energy healing" of course goes on all the time without any psychological counseling--and this has been the case for millenia. Understanding the originating circumstances (karma) of a body syndrome/injury not only accelerates healing and recovery, but it ensures more complete healing and remission, and also ensures that the person is less likely to repeat the injury or psychosomatic manifestation. I was making an intuitive educated guess that the chronic tightness/tension in Cihan's upper back muscles directly behind the heart (that he felt the FP Qigong effectively relieved) was the physiological manifestation of a psychological need to protect his heart from behind--from hidden or unexpected "attack." Purely an intuitive and remote diagnosis.

Hope this clarifies a bit.

Sifu Terry Dunn

• Like 1

Thanks Steve,

Great that you enjoying Sifu Terry's FP qi kung, people think that level 2,3 are always higher but IMHO any of level 1 or any systems basics or foundation are high level its how deep you can go with it. Thanks for posting love to hear more about your other qi kung systems you also studied in the past?

take care

Sifu Garry

• Like 1

When I close my eyes, I can still see my hands "aura" or ghost image (like looking at a bright light) while practicing the moves. I just got the DVDs this week, and wow even the sitting meditations are making my legs shake. Sometimes, it feels like I'm not even the one doing the arm movements, its almost being done for me. Great stuff so far. I'll probably have a ton of questions soon. :D