Fu_dog

Flying Phoenix Chi Kung

GMDW told me that Daoist Monk Fung Do Duk, was guided by a Goddess from Heaven though meditation and learnt the Fei Fung Sunn Gung and when he awoke 9 yrs or something had passed, maybe Sifu Terry can tell this story as he is the man for this system?

Hello Sifu Dunn,

I just received my Chi Kung for Health flying phoenix DVDs, and before I start learning the basic standing and sitting meditation, I was wondering, is it ok to practice Flying Phoenix and also practice other qigong? I am not talking about mixing them, just wondering if there are any constraints? I do Yang Jwing-Ming's four seasons qigong, and also a muscle/tendon changing set every day.

I hope the energies I might build doing Flying Phoenix will help those sets to soften and mature. If this is a common question or one that you have already addressed to others, I appologize. I searched but didnt find anything, and the thread is too long to read over at this point!!

Thank you.

Well I've been off of practice in the meditations for awhile, but I recently found some inspiration to give it another go. I've been training in the Five Tibetan Rites in the down time and am confident that I can make something great of the training now that I've gained a new sense of calm, patience and a better understanding of myself. ^_^

P.S. I will keep everyone posted on anything I find during my renewed training.

Warmest Regards,

Shen

Hi Shen,

I'm glad that you gained a lot from your practice of Five Tibetan Rites. I'm not familiar with that system. But I will say that Flying Phoenix Qigong is very compatible with some schools of Tibetan Yoga and Spiritualism because the creator, Feng Tao Teh (Feng Do Duk in Cantonese) travelled throughout China's western frontier and into Tibet in cultivating, learning, creating the Flying Phoenix Qigong system--along with all the internal art in the Bok Fu Pai tradition. This cross-cultural journeying and exploration was something that GM Doo Wai explained to me about FP Qigong's founder.

To further develop basic calm, quiescence and "groundedness", I recommend the 3 warm-up seated meditations in Volume Two and doing Monk Holdling Pearl (form Volume One) in seated or supine (lying down position).

Good luck with your return to FP Qigong.

Best,

Sifu Terry

According to GMDW he would have to sit and watch and listen as well document his father / grandfather breathing and using the caucasian percentage method to help him better understand it so he could do it better himself or you would have to sit and watch / listen to Sifu Terry breathing.

I cannot remember the type of Yoga name right now I think Ramayana (if thats a yoga system) it has breath percentage breathing too, the name maybe wrong but I did some research many many years ago starting my Burning Palm and found it to be similar to what the Bak Fu Pai or GMDW was teaching.

Regards

Sifu Garry

Thanks for your accurate answer, Si-hing Garry.

Yes, the percentage breathing method did exist for a long time within the Bok Fu Pai tradition, but GM Doo Wai greatly expanded the number of meditations that he taught in the West using the "percentage exhalations-with-a-full-breath-in-between" method. Otherwise, one would have to carefully watch and listen to how the masters of the art breathed...and the only means of learning Flying Phoenix Qigong would be to become not just a student--but an "indoor" student. Would you agree, Sifu Garry?

Thanks for your good input as always!

Si-hing Terry

I like the FP's Empahsis on the Tan Tien + the powerful clearing of shoulders,neck and chest where I have some though blockages,That's all.

Sorry like you figured I am still pretty new to this so why don't you clear me up?

Should one fully open the MCO before doing any of these practises so the higher energy can be handled?

I don't see why any internal mind/chi circualation shouldn't be mixed with external movement/chi circulation.

But if you know please tell me,I really wanna know.

Thx,

Josama

Hello Josama,

What you've said you've noticed about the effects of Flying Phoenix Qigong (its "emphasis" on tan tien and effect YOUR shoulders, neck, and chest) is very fragmented and incomplete--because you have so far experienced the FP Healing energy's effect on your particular symptoms of tension (what you call "blockage"). For another beginner would say that the FP Qigong emphasized cleansing of the kidneys, and leg channels, and the third eye chakra. And another would say that the practice initially completely and thoroughly cleared his block in the lumbar spine, and then "washed" his brain and opened up his crown chakra", etc., etc. and recently one practitioner gave very clear and detailed account of how FP Qigong practice repaired his life-long skin condition, sensitivity and reduced its tendency to develop keratosis.

It's good to note the effects, but don't jump to the conclusion that you know everything that the FP Qigong system does until you've practiced it for a full year, please. If you start believing that you know all that FP Qigong does at the very outset of practice, you will to a certain extent, limit the effects of the practice, and miss the positive effects when they manifest. So try to keep an open mind...

...and believe me and Sifu Garry Hearfield when we say that no other visualization from other Qigong or meditative systems is necessary to attain the maximum benefits from Flying Phoenix Qigong practice.

To get confirmation of FP Qigong's wide range of health effects from dozens upon dozens of practitioners now,just read or skim this discussion thread from start to finish, to find the accounts of Flying Phoenix Qigong's healing, energizing and rejuvenating effects from practitioners--pretty much all of whom I have never met, but who learned the FP Qigong system from my DVD series). Early on, I recall posts by Baguakid,rsalazar, Dainin, and Nic Chi. More recently, you can ask contributors such as Fu_Dog in Florida, or ridingtheox in Arizona, or Somamech (New Zealand?), Sunshine in Germany, and Audiohealing (your location?).

As I've stated several times earlier in this thread--ad I have no problem repeating it again in different words: Flying Phoenix healing energy subsumes every part of the human process. Everything because this Qigong works through the autonomic nervous system and brings all organ functions under the regulation of the subconscious mind.

As for your question about "opening up the MCO so that the higher energies can be handled": that is a belief about a certain mechanism that applies only to whatever system of Qigong you learned involving the MCO. That belief is absolutely inapplicable to the practice of FP Qigong and will only hinder you. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A GENERIC SYSTEM OF QIGONG--DESPITE THE WATERED DOWN FRAGMENTS OF BROKEN TRADITIONS AND DOWNSTREAM HOKUM ASSEMBLED INTO A SERIES OF 40+ DVD'S BY CERTAIN MEDIA ENTREPENEURS. THERE ARE DOZENS OF AUTHENTIC AND COMPLETE QIGONG ARTS AND EACH ONE HAS A DIFFERENT SECRET ALCHEMIC FORMULA FOR CULTIVATING TANGIBLE,REPEATABLE AND VERIFIABLE QI. FP Qigong is just one such system and it's alchemic formula for generating the FP Healing Energy is unlike any other Qigong system outside of the Whit Tiger Kung-fu tradition.

To get the most of Flying Phoenix Qigong in the quickest fashion (and this system is already one of the fastest-acting Qigong methods every published), you DO NOT want to super-impose on it any yogic doctrine or roadmap or system of visualization that you might be practicing or have practiced before. Just keep the other internal arts in your hip pocket while you practice the FP qigong. Because this system is simple, elegant, self-contained, and COMPLETE. All the information that a student needs to practice this system correctly to attain beneficial health results are contained in my instructions on the DVD's. I have taught Flying Phoenix meditations on the DVD's exactly as GM Doo Wai taught them to me. Nothing needs to be added to enhance the effects of FP Qigong practice.

Many contributors to this discussion have commented on how FP Qigong practice nicely complements other Qigong and internal martial art systems that they already were practicing when they discovered and started FPQ practice. As both Sifu Garry Hearfield and I have responded within the past 2-3 weeks to several questions about mixing FP Qigong breathing method with the "external" forms of other martial arts: NOT ADVISABLE...SO DON'T DO IT. IT'S NOT PRODUCTIVE--AND CAN BE NOT ONLY A WASTE OF TIME, BUT MIGHT (JUST MIGHT) SET YOUR QIGONG DEVELOPMENT BACK.

I would hope that anyone reading this thread and wanting to make optimum use of the information here, really does themselves the favor of taking to heart the guidelines that Sifu Garry and I have tried to explain here in many contexts over these many months. Those of you who have years of experience in Chinese martial arts, understand how important it is to have foundation of good kung-fu form in order for this Qigong--ANY Qigong system to work better and best--and also to understand the Chinese oral tradition based on teacher-disciple relationship and respect for the ancestral lineage of each system. With regards to respecting the lineage of a system, adding your own beliefs, philosophy, macroscosmic orbit, microcosmic orbit, 4 rows of 48-counter rotating petals of the heart chakra, "inner smile", or what have you from your favorite outside practices before you have completely and correctly learned the system at hand is not only stupid and counter-productive, but it's disrespectful...and that brings karma on a scale commensurate to how much you disrespect the lineage.

I really, really hope I don't have to read anyone posting a message on this thread that they have acquired inexplicable energy sickness from doing the FP Qigong "their way" that no western doctor or Traditional Chinese physician so far has been unable to diagnosis and heal.

In the same spirit as Grandmaster Doo Wai said to me and two of my classmates sternly, matter-of-factly and with a serious laugh one night around 1994 when we tried to go one step beyond what he taught us in terms of a martial training: "If you guys dim muk yourselves, I'm not going to fix you." , I'm going to say here and now, if you mix the FP Qigong breathing sequences with something that's contraindicated (i.e., all other martial and qigong forms), I'm not going to respond...and neither will Sifu Hearfield (and I'm confident that I can speak for him).

For absolutely the best results with FP Qigong, follow the Nike ad slogan: JUST DO IT.

But even if one has no respect for the Chinese lineages and are an impatient, uncouth and grubby "I want it all and I want it now" type of person.. even common sense should tell one not to mess with a hithertoo secret art that's been working perfectly for 600+ years--that people have through the ages have died in their efforts to preserve the truth of the art.

I'll cut this short now and just advise you, Josama, and the Taobums audience at large, empty your cup for just a however number of months it takes you to finish the FP Qigong contained in Volumes 1 through 4. You don't even have to go beyond Vol.4's capstone Long Form Standing Meditation. Just get that Form under your belt--as RidingtheOx did right out the gate (because he already had 20 yrs of Tai chi experience)--and then you can knock yourself out with adding any type visualization you please. Then the Qigong should be established, and you can experiment to your heart's desire.

But you will probably find, as most practitioners have discovered, that they don't have anything to add to the very basic and simple, bread-and-butter instructions of FP Qigong practice. My friend, Master Jonathan Wang (the son of Tai Chi master Daniel Wang) is an excellent teacher and the winningest tournament competitor in American history with more than 550 gold and silver medals in less than 5 yrs of competition [btw, it would take anyone else more than 2 lifetimes to amass that many top medals...no exaggeration]),

http://www.beijingkungfu.com/

--and about 2 years ago, Sifu Jonathan reviewed and tried out my Chi Kung for Health DVD series teaching the FP Qigtong and made this comment: "The Flying Phoenix meditations are simple to do, yet they are very, very sophisticated."

Other practitioners, do very often practice other martial and qigong systems as well, but do so not in the same session and not close enough in time so that one mixes the energies from the two practices. Common sense reason is that you want your system clear in order to see if the Flying Phoenix Qigong works for you!

Besides, if you have mastered another authentic and complete Qigong system, then you are confident and comfortable and At-One with that art so as to not have to merge any part of it with the Flying Phoenix training as you explore and learn it as a new system.

If I sound a little testy, I apologize by saying that I'm presently under a lot of pressure in business demands and per my own agenda to teach a whole lot more thru new media programs. Time is short and I don't like to repeat myself on this discussion thread about common-sense minor guidelines like not mixing FP Qigong breathing methods with outside external forms (the reasons why not to do so as clearly explained by Sifu Garry and myself), and using irrelevant visualizations like MCO before or while doing the FP Qigong's breath control sequences. As I explained earlier in the thread, the cosmological system underpinning the FP Qigong and the rest of GM Doo Wai's internal arts has nothing to do with meridians and nothing to do with MCO. Because the method of visualization is catalyzed by the breathing and the FP movements and postures. No other visualizations--of orbits or of meridians or of chakras--are necessary.

And as i said in earlier post, quoting Taoist priest and grandmaster Kuan Sai Hung: "There are no meridians". There is no tan tien. IT IS ALL MIND."

***And the creator of Flying Phoenix Qigong, Taoist sage Feng Tao Teh, got to the state of ALL MIND by creating the alchemic yoga that GM Doo Wai's lineage preserved for six generations and that I published with his permission on the DVD series.***

Good luck and enjoy the training.

Sifu Terry Dunn

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 3

I forgot to thank for this post Sifu Garry,

I was asking how the first one get the breathing sequence.

I think it is also one of the biggest secret since most Qigong we know in the moment

are without percentage breathing and some rocks without need of this.

But what if they get the percentage breathing for their methods?

Q

As you said Q, some Qigong systems "rock" without percentage breathing formulas.

Percentage breathing as in Flying Phoenix Qigong is only one Chi-cultivation method. Other complete and authentic Qigong traditions don't use percentage breathing and don't need to...they are complete in and of themselves, and are based on totally different cosmologies--views of how the Universe works in transforming energy. A good example of this is Tai Chi Qigong.

Sifu Garry is absolutely right in alluding to the fact that the ancient Taoists observed all sorts of energy processes occuring in nature in animals and elemental forces, and they came out with a myriad--and I mean a myriad--of different forms of internal alchemy. To understand this, read a couple of early volumes of Joseph Needham's epic tome, "Science and Civilization in China." and also any of Henri Maspero's books. But I would strongly recommend his "Taoism".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henri_Maspero

I hope that intelligent readers out there will assume responsibility and start reading classic works and anthologies on Taoist and Buddhist arts by Needham, Maspero, Thomas Cleary, Steven Mitchell, W.Y. Evans-Wentz (for Tibetan Buddhist Yogas) and their similars in the academic world--just to understand the basic history and the cultural contexts of these arts down first so that you can go further and learn more from whatever authentic master (that I hope you find and) choose to follow.

*and for a very good contemporary writer on Taoist practices, read the works of Deng Ming Dao, a student of Taoist master Kuan Sai Hung. His first book, "The Wandering Taoist" is a novelized biography of Master Kuan and wonderful overview of Taoist arts starting with Master Kuan's Huashan martial and spiritual arts that reads like a Castaneda book. Just excellent foundation for Taoist practices. The information is already published--it's all out there--to study and understand the foundations of many, many forms of martial arts and a few qigong systems in practice today...start reading the right stuff and as Sifu Garry Hearfield says, practice, practice and practice and practice and practice your butt off until you can start questioning with intelligence and your experienced truth so many of these voices in the dark promising instant Chi-power, martial invincibility, and omnisicence--and saying that oh this video clip of Grandmaster so-and-so I have will teach you everything you need to know about everything...

Sifu Terry Dunn

Edited by zen-bear

Hello Sifu Dunn,

I just received my Chi Kung for Health flying phoenix DVDs, and before I start learning the basic standing and sitting meditation, I was wondering, is it ok to practice Flying Phoenix and also practice other qigong? I am not talking about mixing them, just wondering if there are any constraints? I do Yang Jwing-Ming's four seasons qigong, and also a muscle/tendon changing set every day.

I hope the energies I might build doing Flying Phoenix will help those sets to soften and mature. If this is a common question or one that you have already addressed to others, I appologize. I searched but didnt find anything, and the thread is too long to read over at this point!!

Thank you.

Hello Anamatva,

Quick answer to your question:

1) Yes, it's fine to learn practice Flying Phoenix Qigong if you are already practicing another Qigong system.

2) What I've written in the past is that you should NOT combine or mix your learning of FP Qiging as a new system with the learning of a different Qigong system.

3) Practice FP Qigong at a certain time of day; practice other internal arts during different hours: In the beginning, practice the FP Qigong in a dedicated time slot or session that's not devoted to any other practices. After you practice FP Qigong for 6-9 months then you can tell for yourself whether you should "mix" the time and location of your FP Qigong practicr with other practices.

Reading about how to properly practice a formerly secret 600 year old Taoist alchemic art should not be an obstacle to any serious student.

Good luck,

Sifu Terence Dunn

Why does everyone here have to or want to try and mix practices, When half of you havent even trained long enough in one of the arts anyway? :wacko:

Just another way to stuff up a completely perfect internal cultivation system!!!

Sifu Garry,

Here, here! Thank you Si-hing for putting into one simple sentence what I took nearly an hour to elaborate upon: How it's totally unnecessary and indeed contra-indicated (to use medical jargon) to mix into Flying Phoenix Qigong training any elements from other internal systems. As you put so well, if practitioners have mastered another Qigong system, or at least established its healthy practice within their lives, then they would be totally secure and comfortable with it, and indeed wizened by it so that they would know not to cherry-pick from it and toss those "cherries" into the process of learning a totally new and complete Qigong system.

Just another way to stuff up a completely perfect internal cultivation system!!!

Thanks so much for your clarity and generosity in telling it like it is.

Si-Hing Terry Dunn

Edited by zen-bear

Hello Sifu Dunn,

I have been reading through this thread for a couple days now, and am very impressed! So i have ordered the Long Form video, and the 6 Seated Meditations and 5 Advanced Seated Meditations videos to start.

I appreciate all the time you have taken here to offer helpful advice to your DVD students. I also appreciate that this thread has been running for 2 years strong with 60 pages!! :D

My goal is to cultivate healing energy and peaceful inner radiance. I will practice from your DVDs and then i think i will add Standing Meditations. Do you recommend any DVDs or books in particular sequence in order to grow in the best way?

Thank you and bless you! You seem like quite an amazing teacher, i really look forward to working with your videos

:)

{edit} are the standing meditations like nei kung?

Hi Anamatva,

Thanks for your compliment about the quality of this discussion thread. A lot of thoughtful people have contributed to it besides Sifu Garry Hearfield and myself.

I posted in my reply to Josama some of the general readings that would give one the foundations for understanding Chinese martial, yogic, healing and spiritual arts.

Also on my website, www.taichimania.com, I have a reading list that includes everything that I recommend to my students who learn from me face-to-face. Here's the link to the page: http://www.taichimania.com/readinglist.html

(scroll down to section "B" for books on Qigong and Meditation)

Answer to your Q:

are the standing meditations like nei kung?

It all depends what your experience of nei kung is and how you define the term "nei kung". I practice and teach a nei kung system from a totally separate tradition (Tao Tan Pai) and I would in general say although FP Qigong might be categorized as nei kung (for it is inner work), it differs so drastically in its method and the its result of cultivation compared to this other nei kung system that I would say, "No,the FP standing are not nei kung". But we're really splitting semantic hairs here and I would love to hear Sifu Garry's take on your question, or anyone else's out there who has good experience in nei kung.

Best,

Sifu Terry

Edited by zen-bear

Hello Anamatva,

1) Yes, it's fine to learn practice Flying Phoenix Qigong if you are already practicing another Qigong system.

2) What I've written in the past is that you should NOT combine or mix your learning of FP Qiging as a new system with the learning of a different Qigong system.

3) Practice FP Qigong at a certain time of day; practice other internal arts during different hours: In the beginning, practice the FP Qigong in a dedicated time slot or session that's not devoted to any other practices. After you practice FP Qigong for 6-9 months then you can tell for yourself whether you should "mix" the time and location of your FP Qigong practice with other practices.

Reading about how to properly practice a formerly secret 600-year old Taoist alchemic art should not be an obstacle to any serious practitioner.

Good luck,

Sifu Terence Dunn

Hello Josama,

What you've said you've noticed about the effects of Flying Phoenix Qigong (its "emphasis" on tan tien and effect YOUR shoulders, neck, and chest) is very fragmented and incomplete--because you have so far experienced the FP Healing energy's effect on your particular symptoms of tension (what you call "blockage"). For another beginner would say that the FP Qigong emphasized cleansing of the kidneys, and leg channels, and the third eye chakra. And another would say that the practice initially completely and thoroughly cleared his block in the lumbar spine, and then "washed" his brain and opened up his crown chakra", etc., etc. and recently one practitioner gave very clear and detailed account of how FP Qigong practice repaired his life-long skin condition, sensitivity and reduced its tendency to develop keratosis.

It's good to note the effects, but don't jump to the conclusion that you know everything that the FP Qigong system does until you've practiced it for a full year, please. If you start believing that you know all that FP Qigong does at the very outset of practice, you will to a certain extent, limit the effects of the practice, and miss the positive effects when they manifest. So try to keep an open mind...

...and believe me and Sifu Garry Hearfield when we say that no other visualization from other Qigong or meditative systems is necessary to attain the maximum benefits from Flying Phoenix Qigong practice.

To get confirmation of FP Qigong's wide range of health effects from dozens upon dozens of practitioners now,just read or skim this discussion thread from start to finish, to find the accounts of Flying Phoenix Qigong's healing, energizing and rejuvenating effects from practitioners--pretty much all of whom I have never met, but who learned the FP Qigong system from my DVD series). Early on, I recall posts by Baguakid,rsalazar, Dainin, and Nic Chi. More recently, you can ask contributors such as Fu_Dog in Florida, or ridingtheox in Arizona, or Somamech (New Zealand?), Sunshine in Germany, and Audiohealing (your location?).

As I've stated several times earlier in this thread--ad I have no problem repeating it again in different words: Flying Phoenix healing energy subsumes every part of the human process. Everything because this Qigong works through the autonomic nervous system and brings all organ functions under the regulation of the subconscious mind.

As for your question about "opening up the MCO so that the higher energies can be handled": that is a belief about a certain mechanism that applies only to whatever system of Qigong you learned involving the MCO. That belief is absolutely inapplicable to the practice of FP Qigong and will only hinder you. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A GENERIC SYSTEM OF QIGONG--DESPITE THE WATERED DOWN FRAGMENTS OF BROKEN TRADITIONS AND DOWNSTREAM HOKUM ASSEMBLED INTO A SERIES OF 40+ DVD'S BY CERTAIN MEDIA ENTREPENEURS. THERE ARE DOZENS OF AUTHENTIC AND COMPLETE QIGONG ARTS AND EACH ONE HAS A DIFFERENT SECRET ALCHEMIC FORMULA FOR CULTIVATING TANGIBLE,REPEATABLE AND VERIFIABLE QI. FP Qigong is just one such system and it's alchemic formula for generating the FP Healing Energy is unlike any other Qigong system outside of the Whit Tiger Kung-fu tradition.

To get the most of Flying Phoenix Qigong in the quickest fashion (and this system is already one of the fastest-acting Qigong methods every published), you DO NOT want to super-impose on it any yogic doctrine or roadmap or system of visualization that you might be practicing or have practiced before. Just keep the other internal arts in your hip pocket while you practice the FP qigong. Because this system is simple, elegant, self-contained, and COMPLETE. All the information that a student needs to practice this system correctly to attain beneficial health results are contained in my instructions on the DVD's. I have taught Flying Phoenix meditations on the DVD's exactly as GM Doo Wai taught them to me. Nothing needs to be added to enhance the effects of FP Qigong practice.

Many contributors to this discussion have commented on how FP Qigong practice nicely complements other Qigong and internal martial art systems that they already were practicing when they discovered and started FPQ practice. As both Sifu Garry Hearfield and I have responded within the past 2-3 weeks to several questions about mixing FP Qigong breathing method with the "external" forms of other martial arts: NOT ADVISABLE...SO DON'T DO IT. IT'S NOT PRODUCTIVE--AND CAN BE NOT ONLY A WASTE OF TIME, BUT MIGHT (JUST MIGHT) SET YOUR QIGONG DEVELOPMENT BACK.

I would hope that anyone reading this thread and wanting to make optimum use of the information here, really does themselves the favor of taking to heart the guidelines that Sifu Garry and I have tried to explain here in many contexts over these many months. Those of you who have years of experience in Chinese martial arts, understand how important it is to have foundation of good kung-fu form in order for this Qigong--ANY Qigong system to work better and best--and also to understand the Chinese oral tradition based on teacher-disciple relationship and respect for the ancestral lineage of each system. With regards to respecting the lineage of a system, adding your own beliefs, philosophy, macroscosmic orbit, microcosmic orbit, 4 rows of 48-counter rotating petals of the heart chakra, "inner smile", or what have you from your favorite outside practices before you have completely and correctly learned the system at hand is not only stupid and counter-productive, but it's disrespectful...and that brings karma on a scale commensurate to how much you disrespect the lineage.

I really, really hope I don't have to read anyone posting a message on this thread that they have acquired inexplicable energy sickness from doing the FP Qigong "their way" that no western doctor or Traditional Chinese physician so far has been unable to diagnosis and heal.

In the same spirit as Grandmaster Doo Wai said to me and two of my classmates sternly, matter-of-factly and with a serious laugh one night around 1994 when we tried to go one step beyond what he taught us in terms of a martial training: "If you guys dim muk yourselves, I'm not going to fix you." , I'm going to say here and now, if you mix the FP Qigong breathing sequences with something that's contraindicated (i.e., all other martial and qigong forms), I'm not going to respond...and neither will Sifu Hearfield (and I'm confident that I can speak for him on this issue).

For absolutely the best results with FP Qigong, follow the Nike ad slogan: JUST DO IT.

But even if one has no respect for the Chinese lineages and are an impatient, uncouth and grubby "I want it all and I want it now" type of person.. even common sense should tell one not to mess with a hithertoo secret art that's been working perfectly for 600+ years--that people have through the ages have died in their efforts to preserve the truth of the art.

I'll cut this short now and just advise you, Josama, and the Taobums audience at large, empty your cup for just a however number of months it takes you to finish the FP Qigong contained in Volumes 1 through 4. You don't even have to go beyond Vol.4's capstone Long Form Standing Meditation. Just get that Form under your belt--as RidingtheOx did right out the gate (because he already had 20 yrs of Tai chi experience)--and then you can knock yourself out with adding any type visualization you please. Then the Qigong should be established, and you can experiment to your heart's desire.

But you will probably find, as most practitioners have discovered, that they don't have anything to add to the very basic and simple, bread-and-butter instructions of FP Qigong practice. My friend, Master Jonathan Wang (the son of Tai Chi master Daniel Wang) is an excellent teacher and the winningest tournament competitor in American history with more than 550 gold and silver medals in less than 5 yrs of competition [btw, it would take anyone else more than 2 lifetimes to amass that many top medals...no exaggeration]),

http://www.beijingkungfu.com/

--and about 2 years ago, Sifu Jonathan reviewed and tried out my Chi Kung for Health DVD series teaching the FP Qigtong and made this comment: "The Flying Phoenix meditations are simple to do, yet they are very, very sophisticated."

Other practitioners, do very often practice other martial and qigong systems as well, but do so not in the same session and not close enough in time so that one mixes the energies from the two practices. Common sense reason is that you want your system clear in order to see if the Flying Phoenix Qigong works for you!

Besides, if you have mastered another authentic and complete Qigong system, then you are confident and comfortable and At-One with that art so as to not have to merge any part of it with the Flying Phoenix training as you explore and learn it as a new system.

If I sound a little testy, I apologize by saying that I'm presently under a lot of pressure in business demands and per my own agenda to teach a whole lot more thru new media programs. Time is short and I don't like to repeat myself on this discussion thread about common-sense minor guidelines like not mixing FP Qigong breathing methods with outside external forms (the reasons why not to do so as clearly explained by Sifu Garry and myself), and using irrelevant visualizations like MCO before or while doing the FP Qigong's breath control sequences. As I explained earlier in the thread, the cosmological system underpinning the FP Qigong and the rest of GM Doo Wai's internal arts has nothing to do with meridians and nothing to do with MCO. Because the method of visualization is catalyzed by the breathing and the FP movements and postures. No other visualizations--of orbits or of meridians or of chakras--are necessary.

And as i said in earlier post, quoting Taoist priest and grandmaster Kuan Sai Hung: "There are no meridians". There is no tan tien. IT IS ALL MIND."

***And the creator of Flying Phoenix Qigong, Taoist sage Feng Tao Teh, got to the state of ALL MIND by creating the alchemic yoga that GM Doo Wai's lineage preserved for six generations and that I published with his permission on the DVD series.***

Good luck and enjoy the training.

Sifu Terry Dunn

Hello Anamatva,

3) Practice FP Qigong at a certain time of day; practice other internal arts during different hours: In the beginning, practice the FP Qigong in a dedicated time slot or session that's not devoted to any other practices. After you practice FP Qigong for 6-9 months then you can tell for yourself whether you should "mix" the time and location of your FP Qigong practicr with other practices.

Reading about how to properly practice a formerly secret 600 year old Taoist alchemic art should not be an obstacle to any serious student.

Good luck,

Sifu Terence Dunn

Sifu Dunn,

Thank you for your response. That is what I thought I had read, but there was some commentary lately that just made me want to ask, to double check. Reading this thread is no obstacle at all, I have read all 60+ pages before I asked the question. It was an honor to see your professionalism and patience with students while I was waiting for my DVDs. I simply could not remember what page the answer to my question was on, and I got a little confused by some things that other people were saying. I thank you for taking the time to answer.

I posted in my reply to Josama some of the general readings that would give one the foundations for understanding Chinese martial, yogic, healing and spiritual arts.

Also on my website, www.taichimania.com, I have a reading list that includes everything that I recommend to my students who learn from me face-to-face. Here's the link to the page: http://www.taichimania.com/readinglist.html

(scroll down to section "B" for books on Qigong and Meditation)

Answer to your Q:

are the standing meditations like nei kung?

It all depends what your experience of nei kung is and how you define the term "nei kung". I practice and teach a nei kung system from a totally separate tradition (Tao Tan Pai) and I would in general say although FP Qigong might be categorized as nei kung (for it is inner work), it differs so drastically in its method and the its result of cultivation compared to this other nei kung system that I would say, "No,the FP standing are not nei kung". But we're really splitting semantic hairs here and I would love to hear Sifu Garry's take on your question, or anyone else's out there who has good experience in nei kung.

Best,

Sifu Terry

Thank you Sifu Terry,

Having ordered the standing meditations video (volume one) because of your recommendation to go in order, I see that they are not really like nei kung, just very slow chi kung. I am working in the evenings with monk gazes at moon, and bending the bow. I will look at the recommended reading list on taichimania. Again, I really appreciate your responses. Thank you!

Dear Sifu Terry,

I've been doing the long form almost every day for a year now, and dropped all other FPCK exercises as the log form is quite satisfactory to me and I have limited time.

Then the questions about bending the bows reappeared in the forum, and I tried it after a year. I realized that I have missed quite a large part of progress by jumping over this basic exercise. It was really painful to do it properly in the beginning, because I could not do the horse stance correctly, and had a lot of strain my legs and back.

Well, a year's practice of long form apparently taught me to correct my postures, I could do BTB very easily this time, and the effects surprised me. The worst effect is waking up with a boner almost every morning at the age of 49 after many years :)

I added BTB to my long form and been doing both of them for a month now, and finally realized I am watching my body dancing with the energy in the moving meditations. The energy is a like lady dance partner to me, and I have to feel her moving and reacting first before doing my next micro move smoothly, or else I step on her feet . Minding this, the meditations are much more efficient for me and they take longer to finish. (No blue background yet, but I am melting into a grayish light)

In bending the bows, we are required to do 18 repetitions in a row, but I can do only 9, as it takes like 30 minutes to do 9 repetitions and I lose the feelings after this time and start feeling tired.I will reach 18 in a period of time.

Can you kindly comment on the ideal duration for BTB exercise for 18 repetitions

Kind Regards,

Cihan

• Like 1

Dear Sifu Terry,

I've been doing the long form almost every day for a year now, and dropped all other FPCK exercises as the log form is quite satisfactory to me and I have limited time.

Then the questions about bending the bows reappeared in the forum, and I tried it after a year. I realized that I have missed quite a large part of progress by jumping over this basic exercise. It was really painful to do it properly in the beginning, because I could not do the horse stance correctly, and had a lot of strain my legs and back.

Well, a year's practice of long form apparently taught me to correct my postures, I could do BTB very easily this time, and the effects surprised me. The worst effect is waking up with a boner almost every morning at the age of 49 after many years :)

I added BTB to my long form and been doing both of them for a month now, and finally realized I am watching my body dancing with the energy in the moving meditations. The energy is a like lady dance partner to me, and I have to feel her moving and reacting first before doing my next micro move smoothly, or else I step on her feet . Minding this, the meditations are much more efficient for me and they take longer to finish. (No blue background yet, but I am melting into a grayish light)

In bending the bows, we are required to do 18 repetitions in a row, but I can do only 9, as it takes like 30 minutes to do 9 repetitions and I lose the feelings after this time and start feeling tired.I will reach 18 in a period of time.

Can you kindly comment on the ideal duration for BTB exercise for 18 repetitions

Kind Regards,

Cihan

Thank you so much for this reminder about BTB :D

It's come at just the time I needed it. It's as if you have answered a question I had only mentally asked. ;)

Thank you so much for this reminder about BTB :D

It's come at just the time I needed it. It's as if you have answered a question I had only mentally asked. ;)

Hello Cihan,

I'm glad that you discovered the central importance of "Bending the Bows" to this Qigong system. It doesn't matter that you jumped straight into doing the Flying Phoenix Long Form Standing Meditation in Volume 4 (for lots of people can do that if they have a number of years of experience in Tai Chi or other internal energy arts...I recall that RidingtheOx reported that that is what he did: start with Volume 4's Long Standing Meditation). The important fact is that you were constant and persevering in your practice, you worked around your difficulties in not being able to do Bending the Bows initially and worked with the other parts of the FP Qigong system that you could do comfortably, and that perservering practice developed you to the point where you were ready to instinctively go back and pick up the practice of BTB. That you practiced the Standing Long Form Meditation for one year is a very good milestone...and you proved to yoursel--and the TTB readership--that the long 15-minute "Flying Phoenix Heavenly Healing Chi Meditation" in Volume 4 conditioned and cultivated you to the point where you could perform "Bending the Bows" correctly, more comfortably, and to good effect.

Your order of practicing the FP Meditations and the results you attained again gives creedence to my Nike cheer about Flying Phoenix Qigong: JUST DO IT.

btw, Thanks for sharing your experience of virility-enhancement upon waking every morning due to BTB practice. Now, if only you can tell me how to bottle this specific effect in an FDA-approvable potion, I'll take you on as a business partner(!) :0)

But seriously: what you are experiencing each morning now is a typical effect of "Bending the Bows" and of several of GM Doo Wai's other standing qigong exercises with symmetrical movements through wuchi-like positions.

Question: Have you gotten under your belt the 2 moving meditations in Volume 3--"Wind Through Treetops" and "Moonbeam Splashes on Water"? Since you've done the Long Standing Med. for one year to good effect, you should--if you haven't already--be able to learn and do Volume 3's two meditations rather quickly and easily. So after you firmly establish several months of practicing Bending the Bows on a regular basis (at least every other day would be excellent), I suggest that you:

A) Continue to do each of the other basic stationary standing meditations in Vol. 1 in sequence (of your choice), but do each one long enough to feel the cultivation of the FP energy "ignite" within.

B ) then if you haven't already, pick up the 2 intermediate moving meditations in Volume 3. "Wind through Treetops" and "Moonbeam"

ANSWER TO YOU QUESTION ABOUT TIMING OF BENDING THE BOWS:

I. My Recommendation (and I do understand that time limitations to practice are always a factor): do BTB as often as you can until you feel that you know its effects inside and out. As for the timing of each repetition that will enable you to do 18 reps in a somewhat reasonable amount of time, here are some general guidelines that to follow:

a) I have always taught students to count from 10 to 12 or more breathes for each of the 4 arm movements in each repetition of BTB--that's a total of 40 to 48 full breathes with every repetition of BTW. For beginners doing 8-10 breathes for each one of the 4 arms movements is fine. (that's 36 to 40 breathes per repetition.)

But I teach 40-48 full breathes per repetition as the standard, preferred, near-optimum way to do this meditation:

(A) raise the arms and pull to in front of throat in 10-to-12 deep breathes;

(B ) lower the palms facing down from throat to pelvis in 10-12 breathes;

(C ) raise arms to "Monk Gazing At Moon" position in 10-12 breathes;

(D) then finally lower palms from throat to tan tien in 10-12 deep breathes.

You'll find that practicing BTB at this rate,can easily take 45 min. to an hour.

II. You can move even more slowly for deeper cultivation:

a) take 15 to 20 breathes for the raising and lowering of the arms. (that's 60 to 80 full breathes per repetition). Naturally, you don't have to do every single rep of the 18 at this speed, or do you have to do 18 at this speed. If you 9 or 10 rounds at this rate of breathing, you will be "cooking" with gas (--FP energy, that is).

b ) also remember that as you practice BTB and feel its' concentrative energizing effects,you can always let the energy sink in and smooth out by taking resting breaths between each rep. with the palms held at the tan tien.

c) finally--and Sifu Garry can perhaps chime in here as well because he knows so many of GMDW's other similar meditative arts--as long as you have good form and are able to maintain constant relaxation, you can do 18 rounds of Bending the Bows by doing half that number (say, 9 or 10) at the 40-48 breathes/repetition rate, and do the other 9 or 10 at a faster rate, say 32-42 breathes/repetition.

It's important to practice towards a goal of 18 repetitions of BTB per session because you will be able to feel and gauge over time how much FP energy is cultivated by 18 rounds and at what level a reserve or superabundance of the FP energy has been cultivated. Once you have a true and natural feeling of the "output" and efficiency of this exercise and ultimately, the entire FP energy cultivation process, which has several parameters, you'll be able to naturally regulate the duration of your practice to obtain the exact energizing/rejuvenating results that you want.

FP Qigong is a tool, and once you learn it correctly, you can practice to gain very, very precise control as to how you use it. And you'll rely less and less on the general parameters that I've expressed based on my experience and from following my teacher's guidelines.

Thanks for sharing your progress, Cihan. Go get 'em!

Best,

Sifu Terry Dunn

Edited by zen-bear

Hi Sihing,

Trying to catch up on the posting here!! :)

In Burning Palm 108 breaths is our "Key" for holding positions but in the beginning students cannot hold for that long especially when starting so anywhere in between and try and get to 108 without effort as you progress. Progression is the key but from the heart! If you do less that what is said either BP or FP as long as you are in the zone you will get results, remember the 108 is a high number and should only be tried once a student gets better. Trying for 108 breaths without building the energy in the said postures will only stiffen the body and make the mind wonder and lose the zone. My advice is slow and steady wins the race and the practice that one does has to be personal not because its the FAD at the moment. I believe the art chooses the person not the person chooses the art! Thats why so many trial different things and are never content!!!

Be safe!

Sifu Garry

• Like 3

Speaking of a system choosing you, I had a dream a few nights ago where I met with GM Doo Wai and he told me to learn the first 3 meditations. I have since been doing just that and feeling much better, but that dream still struck me as kind of odd. What do you guys think? Am I going nuts here or what? I'll also add the sitting ones as Sifu Terry has suggested as soon as I can. ^_^

Warmest Regards,

Shen

Edited by Shen555
  • Like 1

Cihan -

Great post on your experience doing the FP Long Standing form for a year, then going back to BTB and finding it to be very powerful.

About 6 month ago, I had a similar experience with the FP Seated Meditations. I had gone for over a month doing only the Advance Seated, not the Basic Seated. Then, one Saturday morning I got up and did all 6 of the Basic Seated and I was amazed at the amount of energy generated!

I told myself I had really been missing out by not doing the basic Seated as well as the Advanced.

Regarding the FP system, I recall Sifu Terry once saying, "you might find the basic meditations are not so basic".

Looks like we can both attest to the truth of that. Again, great observation.

Fu_dog

Yes indeed Sifu Garry, I've had many an epiphany lately as well, for instance my personality was fragmented in about three different ways with the three different yet contained persona's, but I recently found a peace within myself and with that those fragments sort of melded back together into what they began as. (I think the meditations helped immensely in this!) I'm glad I'm not going crazy, this is just the first time I've had so specific a dream and it sort of knocked me for a loop is all. As for the basic meditations not being so basic that's definitely something to look forward to in the future. ^_^

Warmest Regards,

Shen

Edited by Shen555