Fu_dog

Flying Phoenix Chi Kung

Hello Terry,

i'm grateful for all the information you have provided in this thread. And for the DVDs of course. They are great. I have been doing the exercises from Vol I and Vol II for 2 months now progressing the way you described on your webpage. I have been doing MGM, BTB, MHPearl and exercises 1,2,3 from Vol 2 for a month. I feel much more relaxed and empty like- not feeling the body. My tai chi has a totally different feel to it now. Way better :)

I have read the whole thread a while back but i don't remember anyone asking these questions. I apologize if you already answered them.

How important is it to put right leg over the left leg in sitting meditations? Can i put left leg over right?

I plan on doing those six exercises described above for another month and then starting the rest of meditations on Vol 1 and 2. But there are 2 exercises left on Vol 1 not three. So when i get to three standing and sitting mediations should i add one standing meditation from the Vol 5 or do the one from vol 1 i have already done? Or just do two standing and three sitting meditations for 6 weeks?

After i have went through all the meditations in Vol 1 and Vol 2 then i should pick just one exercises from each Vol and do it for 6 months? Do i need to do each exercise for 6 months? Can i also start with Vol 3 in that time or should i wait? Can i do more than one exercise during those 6 months or is it meant that one to be longer like 30 min?

Thanks.

EDIT: Another question about posture in Bending The Bows. When you lower your legs do you always keep your pelvis tucked in?

Edited by malganis

Hi Sifu Terry -

First, we are all happy to see you back on the forum after a small hiatus. Your comments and insights are always very welcome and good reading.

I have been doing FP for one year and 9 months now, and the quality of the energy I feel continues to become more refined. I have not hit a ceiling, and in fact consider myself but a beginner. I am not sure where a ceiling will be with this style.

In November it will make two years of practicing Flying Phoenix for me and I will then make a post then detailing my experiences.

For now, I am tying to go 100 days of FP practice without missing a day. I am finding this to be a challenge, but with excellent benefits.

One benefit that I have documented before is that my skin has become much smoother and healthier. Before FP, all the years in the Florida sun had me going to the dermatologist every 2 to 3 months to have a keratosis removed. Since FP, I do not need to go.

In fact, I had a period of very heavy work and travel a few months ago in which I got lax with my practice of FP, and sure enough, here comes another keratosis growth on my cheek. Well, I fell into a strong practice of daily FP, and the keratosis shrank and then disappeared...i.e., gone. Some would call that "spontaneous healing" however, I know better. That was a direct result of my FP practice. The FP energy healed it, and for me and those who know me, my skin quality is tangible evidence of one of the benefits of FP.

You had also mentioned to look at the skin on the back of the hands and an indication of health. At 57 years old, mine were getting dry and cracked. Now going through my 100 day program, the skin on the back of my hands has become clear, smooth, healthy.

Even though I have practiced now for 21 months, and have a very tangible feeling of the FP energy, I must admit I still don't understand what it is. I can say it feels quite a bit different that the energy generated by other styles of qigong I have tried. I know your advice has been "just do the practice", and I appreciate that, but at the same time any other clues you can share as to the nature of the actual FP energy would be greatly appreciated. If it can be described in words. :)

In Catstaneda's books, Don Juan says one goal of a warrior is seeking power. I feel FP is one of the paths with a heart that lead towards this goal. Would you agree?

Thanks in advance.

Lloyd

• Like 1

Even though I have practiced now for 21 months, and have a very tangible feeling of the FP energy, I must admit I still don't understand what it is. I can say it feels quite a bit different that the energy generated by other styles of qigong I have tried. I know your advice has been "just do the practice", and I appreciate that, but at the same time any other clues you can share as to the nature of the actual FP energy would be greatly appreciated. If it can be described in words. :)

I guess that this particular qi has a higher vibrational frequency than other forms?

One of the misunderstandings I had when beginning qigong was that I thought qi more or less was the same or had the same effect in all forms and that all paths lead to the same destination. Based on my experience, I no longer believe that.

Chris - yes, that's definitely been my experience.

The qi generated by the Flying Phoenix system has a very different feel to it than that of other qigong systems I have practiced.

Hello Terry,

i'm grateful for all the information you have provided in this thread. And for the DVDs of course. They are great. I have been doing the exercises from Vol I and Vol II for 2 months now progressing the way you described on your webpage. I have been doing MGM, BTB, MHPearl and exercises 1,2,3 from Vol 2 for a month. I feel much more relaxed and empty like- not feeling the body. My tai chi has a totally different feel to it now. Way better :)

I have read the whole thread a while back but i don't remember anyone asking these questions. I apologize if you already answered them.

How important is it to put right leg over the left leg in sitting meditations? Can i put left leg over right?

I plan on doing those six exercises described above for another month and then starting the rest of meditations on Vol 1 and 2. But there are 2 exercises left on Vol 1 not three. So when i get to three standing and sitting mediations should i add one standing meditation from the Vol 5 or do the one from vol 1 i have already done? Or just do two standing and three sitting meditations for 6 weeks?

After i have went through all the meditations in Vol 1 and Vol 2 then i should pick just one exercises from each Vol and do it for 6 months? Do i need to do each exercise for 6 months? Can i also start with Vol 3 in that time or should i wait? Can i do more than one exercise during those 6 months or is it meant that one to be longer like 30 min?

Thanks.

EDIT: Another question about posture in Bending The Bows. When you lower your legs do you always keep your pelvis tucked in?

Hello Malganis,

I'm glad you're getting good results from starting the basic practice of FLying Phoenix in Volumes 1 and 2. I'm glad that the DVD series is effectively teaching the proper practice of the FP Qigong system at the basic and intermediate levels...enough so that practitioners are experiencing the absolutely unique, tangible and profound healing and rejuvenating energy of this system.

Answers to your questions:

(1) I don't think that doing half-lotus with the left leg on top will change the effects of the seated mediations in any significant way. But I cannot tell you from direct experience as I have always done them with the right leg folded on top.

(2) I would suggest that you add "Monk Holding Peach" and to the practice of the first 3 standing meditations, and add the fifth standing meditation on Volume 1, "Wind Above the Clouds", if you have the time. You can then then drop the three basic seated meditations once you feel each one's unique effects, and concentrate on the remaining Monk Serves Wine meditations. I advise doing the Basic Standing exercises together as a complete set as long as possible.

(3) There's nothing wrong with adding any of the 90-second short meditations of Vol. 5 to your practice the 5 Basic Standing Exercises of Vol.1. But you will experience far more pronounced energizing results from these "short and sweet" exercises in Vol.5 if you first practice Volume 3's intermediate practice of "Moonbeam Splashes on Water" and "Wind through Treetops", and then learn the Long Form Standing meditation "FPHHCM" taughth in Vol. 4.

(4) Picking one or two exercises from both Vol.1 AND Vol.2 that you find are most energizing for you personally is an optional and very benefical practice that I recommend. You can to on to the Volume 3's intermediate meditations once you are comfortable with all the standing med's of Vol.1. If one happens to have substantial Tai Chi experience or any many years in another Chinese internal art (e.g, Hsing-I, Pa-Kua or LHBF, one can start doing Vol.3 immediately after learning Vol.1. It depends on your background and how well you establish the basic practice contained in Volume 1 and 2.

(5) Yes, you can certainly do more than one FP exercise during the 6-month period. Again, if you can budget the time, try to do all the FP Standing and the Monk Serves Wine meditations for first 6 months. I know that's a lot of the Standing Meditations on a regular basis, but once you get into Months 4, 5, and 6, you can shorten the practice of each one if your time is limited. The point is the do all of them in the same session because each exercise's effects are cumulative with all the others.

BTW, Fu-dog's most recent posting reporting the health benefits from his 1.75+ year of practicing the Flying Phoenix system provides a nice roadmap and frame of reference for when to move onto the more advanced FP exercises. He writes clearly and you can tell that he's accurately describing his FP experiences. (He was the person who used my DVD's back in Nov. or so of 2009, started this discussion thread and then a few months later asked me to sign up on TTB and contribute to the discussion.)

**If anyone else has practiced all the exercises in Volumes 1, 2 and 3 regularly for a year or longer, if you care to, please report in as to what effects (if any) you've experienced.

(6) When you do Bending the Bows, of course, keep the hips tucked in, sacrum pointing to the ground, and the lower back (lumbar spinal region) "flat" and straight. that's the only way that that particular Meditation can "do itself."

Good luck with your practice.

Sifu Terry Dunn

Hi,

I did FP meditations for a month, but left them afterwards. Before that, I have some decent experience in Sufi "calm abiding/one-pointedness" meditations. So I guess that might have been the reason why the meditations showed their results so fast (within 3-4 days). I have practiced vol.1 and first exercise of vol.3. (WTT) only. MOstly I did BTB and WTT, for 20-30 minutes everyday. Now for the effects.

1. I have been suffering from ADD and dysthymia for some time. MOst of the symptoms were gone within a month.

2. Very calm, peacefull and focussed mind. My one-pointedness meditations were greatly improved.

3. I was feeling energy and vitality in my body. A kind of calm vitality, an ambition to do something. My weight training was enhanced greatly (i was amazed to see how much weight I was able to lift), and so was my whole life (I have been non-energetic/fatigued all my life)

4. Libido was enhanced (a little bit too much though)

5. A feeling of warmth in my body. I didnt like it BTW, I live in a country that's already too hot.

Now for the reasons that made me leave FP meditations.

1. It seemed like my hair started thinning from the front.

2. The medial, lower side of my right big toe went numb (sensation came back 2 weeks after I stopped doing fp)

I would love to continue doing FP. But the numbness in my toe didnt make sense, and the idea of going bald is also very scary for me. SO any suggestions?

Thanks

Edited by hazelmania

Hi,

I did FP meditations for a month, but left them afterwards. Before that, I have some decent experience in Sufi "calm abiding/one-pointedness" meditations. So I guess that might have been the reason why the meditations showed their results so fast (within 3-4 days). I have practiced vol.1 and first exercise of vol.3. (WTT) only. MOstly I did BTB and WTT, for 20-30 minutes everyday. Now for the effects.

1. I have been suffering from ADD and dysthymia for some time. MOst of the symptoms were gone within a month.

2. Very calm, peacefull and focussed mind. My one-pointedness meditations were greatly improved.

3. I was feeling energy and vitality in my body. A kind of calm vitality, an ambition to do something. My weight training was enhanced greatly (i was amazed to see how much weight I was able to lift), and so was my whole life (I have been non-energetic/fatigued all my life)

4. Libido was enhanced (a little bit too much though)

5. A feeling of warmth in my body. I didnt like it BTW, I live in a country that's already too hot.

Now for the reasons that made me leave FP meditations.

1. It seemed like my hair started thinning from the front.

2. The medial, lower side of my right big toe went numb (sensation came back 2 weeks after I stopped doing fp)

I would love to continue doing FP. But the numbness in my toe didnt make sense, and the idea of going bald is also very scary for me. SO any suggestions?

Thanks

Hello Hazelmania,

Thank you for your post. Sorry to take a while to answer. I was away for the long weekend without any manmade devices for a change--except for a backpack.

The five positive healing benefits you reported are typical of the effects of Flying Phoenix Qigong practice...especially dissipating dithymia. FP Qigong's tangible energy creates such tangible experience of its unique Chi permeation that these new and sublime message units coming from the body to the brain will alter any mildly dark mood or mild depression. Thus without addressing cause (of depression), FP Qigong practice can in some situations, provide instant relief to depression. In some cases--NOT ALL--it's more expedient to do a physical exercise-prophylaxis that effects the cells directly rather than do months or years of talking therapy. As one great and honest therapist put it, "Understanding is the booby-prize."

As for the two negative effects that you reported:

(1) Thinning of hair. In my personal practice and my observations from teaching since the system 1992, the FP Qigong energy reverses the effects and signs of aging. After I practice the seated Monk Serves Wine meditations in particular, the slight signs of gray in my hair turn black. (the ones that always rejuvenate hair for me are: 80 70 50 30 and 50 70 20 10). -- Scout's honor. Since I started practicing and teaching the Flying Phoenix Qigong, I have never heard of any practitioner reporting hair loss, but only hair repair.

To other FPQ practitioners, especially those doing a lot of the seated MSW meditations, please chime in if you have had any notable effects of the FPQ on hair quality--one way or another.

(2) Numbness in right big toe.

I need much more information to comment accurately on both symptoms: Are you male or female? What is your age? Is balding or premature balding a genetic trait in your family? Are you taking any medication presently? have you taken pharmaceutical medications in the past? If yes, what drugs and for how long? Over the month that you practiced FP Qigong, how frequently did you practice? And how long per session? And what FP meditations did you practice during each session? Did you practice any of the seated "Monk Serves Wine" meditations? What are your dietary habits (in general)? You stated that you suffer or suffered from disthymia: how long have you had it? What part of the country do you live? What is your occupation and stress level? (FP Qigong is a holistic practice, so to accurately verify its inner effects, one naturally has to examine the practitioner's outer environment and how he/she is interacting with it.)

How severe is the numbness in the right toe? Is it painful--or does it feel just like the toe has "fallen asleep"?

This forum isn't the proper vehicle for me to fully assess your situation and the effects of FPQ practice; but if you want such a consultation and want provide the above info, you can contact me through Private Mail and we can discuss.

Without having the above work-up, I can only give you this general response for now:

My first impression is that both the thinning of hair and the numbness in toe are preliminary and temporary symptoms that arose with the start of FP Qigong practice. My suggestion therefore (without the additional information) is simply to continue practicing the FP Qigong--on a daily basis if possible--and work through both symptoms. ** And most definitely: add the seated Monk Serves Wine meditations in Vol. 2 and/or Vol.7 if you're not doing any seated meditations.

However, this is the exception: If you are being treated by a physician for ADD and disthymia, or other conditions--and especially if you are using pain-killing drugs or anti-depressants--you should consult with your doctor and describe to him what the FP Qigong practice consists of before you continue.

If you've been using any type of pain or anti-depressant medication in the past, numbness as well as a whole host side effects will be easily be set off by Flying Phoenix Qigong practice because so much of the the nervous system's natural information conductance from the body to the brain is repressed or shut down by these drugs. Modern medicine knows all the the side-effects of pain-killers and anti-depressants (butmost often chooses to ignore them in prescribing the drugs). The side-effects of these types of pharmaceuticals--not may--but most definitely will be triggered when you start practicing a deeply energizing Qigong such as the FPQ System.

If medication is involved, you should determine with your physician whether you want to practice the FP Qigong at this time.

But if there are no pharmaceutical anti-depressants in your system:

I would suggest continuing your FP practice and in addition to it, make sure that you practice "quiet sitting"--simple seated meditation for at least 15 minutes a day. This will naturally address the ADD let alone the FP qigong practice. As I stated earlier in the post, to ground and ensure safety in any Qigong practice, quiet sitting is most essential and critically important. To quote my first Neigung teacher again:

"No matter what you do, you must do quiet sitting! Quiet sitting is more important than the yoga."

I would not worry one bit that the FP Qigong practice would cause thinning hair or hair loss.

If the numbness is not painful and does not cause paralysis of the surrounding muscles, then it's only a sign of the nervous system healing itself.

At any rate, hazelmania, if you want to provide the additional info through PM, I'll see if I can provide a more detailed response.

Thanks for posting.

Terry Dunn

Edited by zen-bear

Dear Sifu Terry,

In regards to pharmaceuticals, especially anti-depressants, tranquilizers, antipsychotics, ADD stimulants, etc.

I am on most of the above and I have been practicing FP meditations for 5 months now with only minimal results although I enjoy doing the actual practice and despite the minor changes, it has brought on tangible results such as calmness and better focus.

That said, is FPCG contraindicated in a person like me taking these sorts of medications? Is there an inherent danger in this combination or is it simply a slow/lack of results?

For me, so far, I have not had absolutely no negative consequences other than frustration from lack of results. It is interesting to note how certain medications taken prior to practice effect the results. ie: taking dexedrine or ritalin (stimulants for ADD) makes the practice completely not worthwhile in many ways.

I can go into a lot of detail about the medications I'm on and how they work having studied psychopharmacology extensively, but I have no clue as to how the FP system works, so if you have anything to add on the topic, I'd be very interesting in reading.

edit: As a side note, all medical disclaimers aside, (meaning we're talking hypothetically here), does the FPCK system have the ability to cure inherent mental and bodily disorders due to biochemical imbalances if practiced diligently?

Edited by Audiohealing

To other FPQ practitioners, especially those doing a lot of the seated MSW meditations, please chime in if you have had any notable effects of the FPQ on hair quality--one way or another.

The hair on the right side of my head has been getting curlier since I began practicing. I have pretty curly hair, but I had noticed before that the left side is curlier than the right. Lately, this imbalance has seemed less pronounced. In fact, (now that I just ran to look in the mirror) the right side seems to be about as curly as the left.

As for the numbness: I can attest to the fact that practicing both the seated and standing meditations will initiate all sorts of tingling, twitches, shaking, and numbness in various parts of the body. IME, one particular spot may fire up repeatedly for several sessions and then go away, only to be replaced by another. At first (and occasionally when they are very strong) the sensations can be alarming, but I usually feel better afterwards if I can maintain the meditation and breathe my way through it.

The hair on the right side of my head has been getting curlier since I began practicing. I have pretty curly hair, but I had noticed before that the left side is curlier than the right. Lately, this imbalance has seemed less pronounced. In fact, (now that I just ran to look in the mirror) the right side seems to be about as curly as the left.

As for the numbness: I can attest to the fact that practicing both the seated and standing meditations will initiate all sorts of tingling, twitches, shaking, and numbness in various parts of the body. IME, one particular spot may fire up repeatedly for several sessions and then go away, only to be replaced by another. At first (and occasionally when they are very strong) the sensations can be alarming, but I usually feel better afterwards if I can maintain the meditation and breathe my way through it.

Hi Green Tiger,

Thanks for your input. I hope your perspective helps Hazelmania and other beginners understand and then work through the initial sometimes uncomfortable effects of FP Qigong practice.

I'm ever impressed by the sublime enhancement of the central nervous system's function caused by Flying Phoenix Qigong practice. That the difference in curliness of your hair on the left vs. right side of your head that I assume from your description has been a life-long feature--has has practically disappeared is a very good "symptom" and what I see as a classic effect of the practice--for FP Qigong perfects the regulatory function of the autonomic nervous system, and that sophisticated web of nerves extends to the left and right sides of the body in equal, balanced proportions. Thus when that regulatory system is functioning perfectly, all bodily functions, including the curliness or straightness of hair growth should come into harmony and balance.

With regards to involuntary shaking, twitching, numbness, etc: In general, the FP Qigong training adds nothing negative or detrimental to the human process. It ONLY heals. that's why I describe numbness, vibrations,undulations fine or gross, spontaneous lurching about, etc. as all healing effects. And yes, that's a good point, these vibratory effects are passing. they will arise from one area of the body, recede, and then another interesting vibrational state can arise at another time at anohter locus in/on the body.

Your comments reminded me that I haven't yet gone into much detail about some of the past "uncomfortable" sensations I experienced early on in my FP Qigong practice. I know I've written about some of the wildly gyrating, gross anatomical movements of the advanced internal exercises of the White Tiger system. The involuntary movements caused by FPQ are generally milder and more subtle and not as pronounced as those caused by martial qigong meditations. One side-effect of my FP Qigong practice I can share is that ever since I started practicing it in 1991, when I practice the seated meditations ("Monk Serves Wine")both basic and advanced, while sitting in the half-lotus position, my right thigh/leg starts flapping up and down quite vigorously on top of the left lower leg folded underneath it. There is never any pain associated with this "flapping" of the right leg, but it can get quite rapid and dramatic looking (to the laymen walkingin on me, it would be a most wierd, non-ordinary sight to behold: just the right knee and thigh flapping up and down faster than any human could possibly do the motions with volitional control. :unsure::o )

My experience has also been that such noticeable vibratory effects and neurological numbness experienced in practice have been temporary and passing. Sooner or later, the sensation subsides.

FP Qigong practice will not create any original pain. If pain does arise during correct practice of the FPQ, then it is only time-bound body memory coming into awareness.

Thanks again, Green Tiger.

Best,

Sifu Terry

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 1

Dear Sifu Terry,

In regards to pharmaceuticals, especially anti-depressants, tranquilizers, antipsychotics, ADD stimulants, etc.

I am on most of the above and I have been practicing FP meditations for 5 months now with only minimal results although I enjoy doing the actual practice and despite the minor changes, it has brought on tangible results such as calmness and better focus.

That said, is FPCG contraindicated in a person like me taking these sorts of medications? Is there an inherent danger in this combination or is it simply a slow/lack of results?

For me, so far, I have not had absolutely no negative consequences other than frustration from lack of results. It is interesting to note how certain medications taken prior to practice effect the results. ie: taking dexedrine or ritalin (stimulants for ADD) makes the practice completely not worthwhile in many ways.

I can go into a lot of detail about the medications I'm on and how they work having studied psychopharmacology extensively, but I have no clue as to how the FP system works, so if you have anything to add on the topic, I'd be very interesting in reading.

edit: As a side note, all medical disclaimers aside, (meaning we're talking hypothetically here), does the FPCK system have the ability to cure inherent mental and bodily disorders due to biochemical imbalances if practiced diligently?

Hi Loann,

Thanks for your input of experience of doing FP Qigong while taking medications. You pose a tough question that will require me to do some research some reading in my PDK. I actually have a life sciences background form college and may be able to provide some basic explanation about how FPQ training can interact with psychopharma prescriptions. But I'm glad to hear that you've been experiencing good results from the FPQ while you've been taking psychopharmaceuticals--I assume some forms of Beta-blockers?

For now, until I do more research and think about it, recall my most basic explanation of how the FPQ works: Through its alchemic formula of consciously coordinating the functions of posture, breathing, and mental focus, it perfects the regulatory function of autonomic nervous system and promotes all visceral (organ) functions.

To the extent that ppharma's such as beta-blockers prevent natural hormones like epinephrine and norepinephrine from binding to the Beta receptors on the nerves, they will slow down the natural self-healing effects of the FPQ to some degree. It's safe to say that this possible slow-down or dilution of the FPQ effects would (1) differ from person to person even if they were on the same type of medication under the same dosage. (2) would differ from person to person with different dosages; (3) and would differ from person to person especially if they are using different types of Beta-blockers affecting different organs.

But this is an interesting question that will require me to do some serious research on how psychopharmaceuticals work. I just know the very basics about 3 classes of beta-blockers and other types of neuro-inhibitors. but I also need to talk to a good physiologicist to more describe how the FP Qigong "formula" precisely affects physiology. Finding one won't be easy. Anyone out there in the TTB community know of one?

Sorry I can't tell you more for now. But if you haven't experienced any negative effects from 5 months of regular FPQ practice and are feeling positive benefits, it should be safe to carry on.

Thanks,

Terry Dunn

Thanks for the reply Terry,

Like I said I have extensive knowledge about these sort of medications and would be glad to give you information about method of action on the body, positive and negative side effects, how it relates to the central nervous system, etc. it would take me quite a while to cover all the different types (benzodiazepines, anticonvulsants, anti-depressants, antipsychotics, etc.)

You mentioned beta-blockers- these are not antidepressants per se. They are mainly used to control blood pressure although since they generally calm down the entire nervous system by activating the peripheral nervous system (completely different method of action than tranquilizers) they are sometimes used to treat the physical symptoms of anxiety and things like stage fright as well as an aid in archery and shooting (stops the shaking). I can see how that can relate to FPCK as it would block natural involuntary movements from occurring (probably not a good thing).

Anyway like I said if you need any information whatsoever, it would be an honor to work with you on this subject. It will also give me a chance to dust off and get into my old Uni textbooks.

It would be immensely interesting to do a little research on the biochemical aspect of just how FPCK works, how it regulates neurotransmitters and hormones and brings homeostasis and healing, etc.

Cheers.

-Audiohealing

quote name='zen-bear' date='07 September 2011 - 02:51 PM' timestamp='1315435918' post='289710']

Hi Loann,

Thanks for your input of experience of doing FP Qigong while taking medications. You pose a tough question that will require me to do some research some reading in my PDK. I actually have a life sciences background form college and may be able to provide some basic explanation about how FPQ training can interact with psychopharma prescriptions. But I'm glad to hear that you've been experiencing good results from the FPQ while you've been taking psychopharmaceuticals--I assume some forms of Beta-blockers?

For now, until I do more research and think about it, recall my most basic explanation of how the FPQ works: Through its alchemic formula of consciously coordinating the functions of posture, breathing, and mental focus, it perfects the regulatory function of autonomic nervous system and promotes all visceral (organ) functions.

To the extent that ppharma's such as beta-blockers prevent natural hormones like epinephrine and norepinephrine from binding to the Beta receptors on the nerves, they will slow down the natural self-healing effects of the FPQ to some degree. It's safe to say that this possible slow-down or dilution of the FPQ effects would (1) differ from person to person even if they were on the same type of medication under the same dosage. (2) would differ from person to person with different dosages; (3) and would differ from person to person especially if they are using different types of Beta-blockers affecting different organs.

But this is an interesting question that will require me to do some serious research on how psychopharmaceuticals work. I just know the very basics about 3 classes of beta-blockers and other types of neuro-inhibitors. but I also need to talk to a good physiologicist to more describe how the FP Qigong "formula" precisely affects physiology. Finding one won't be easy. Anyone out there in the TTB community know of one?

Sorry I can't tell you more for now. But if you haven't experienced any negative effects from 5 months of regular FPQ practice and are feeling positive benefits, it should be safe to carry on.

Thanks,

Terry Dunn

Hello , It's been an honor and a pleasure to read through this forum on the Flying Phoenix Chi-kung its been as much fun to read as some of my favorite books.I Look forward to reading an auto biography from sifu Terry Dunn in the future and the releases of Sifu Garry Hearfield's instructional DVD's also I wasn't able to reach your page at www.kungufpanda.lawsuit.com .I am touched & sorry to hear about your original creation being ripped off my hope is for you in your struggle for whats rightfully your own creative materials. If I may I would like to ask a couple of instructional questions ,I understand from read Da Mo's Muscle tendon changing and marrow / brain washing classics published by Dr. Yang , Jwing- ming that some forms of bending the bows can be practice 24 hours a day and I'm curious to know what sets and singles can be practice out side at night .I did have an experience practicing the seated meditations vol. 2 where I connected with the wall current it wasn't painful my skin redden I'm just aware that when I can I would like to practices away from house current Thanks for all you've done I hope things turn out well , Thank you Sincerely , Greanforest

• Like 1

The irony is that the link does not work behind the Great Chinese firewall :(

taichimania.com does not work either, Sifu Terry.

Just posting here while on a business trip and cannot sleep due to the time difference :D

Hello , It's been an honor and a pleasure to read through this forum on the Flying Phoenix Chi-kung its been as much fun to read as some of my favorite books.I Look forward to reading an auto biography from sifu Terry Dunn in the future and the releases of Sifu Garry Hearfield's instructional DVD's also I wasn't able to reach your page at www.kungufpanda.lawsuit.com .I am touched & sorry to hear about your original creation being ripped off my hope is for you in your struggle for whats rightfully your own creative materials. If I may I would like to ask a couple of instructional questions ,I understand from read Da Mo's Muscle tendon changing and marrow / brain washing classics published by Dr. Yang , Jwing- ming that some forms of bending the bows can be practice 24 hours a day and I'm curious to know what sets and singles can be practice out side at night .I did have an experience practicing the seated meditations vol. 2 where I connected with the wall current it wasn't painful my skin redden I'm just aware that when I can I would like to practices away from house current Thanks for all you've done I hope things turn out well , Thank you Sincerely , Greanforest

Hello Greanforest, Thanks for your positive feedback upon reading this FP Chi Kung discussion thread--but I'm not the one responsible for it: had it not been for an enthusiastic and very dedicated practitioner, Fu_Dog (a Florida resident who I still have not met in person) starting the discussion thread with a question and then Sifu Garry Hearfield endorsing the DVD series I had produced, I would never have known about the thetaobums blogsite nor been encouraged to contribute to the discussion. So I have to thank them both for creating the opportunity in 2009 for me to contribute what I know about the Flying Phoenix Qigong.

Answers to your questions:

(1) Any of the Flying Phoenix meditations can be practiced outdoors at night. Recall that Sifu Garry Hearfield and I both talked about doing "Monk Gazing at Moon" while actually gazing at the moon--during times of the month when it's low enough in the sky.

(2) the "Bending the Bows" exercise in the FP Qigong system has nothing to do with any other system such as the Shaolin-based system that Dr. Yang writes about. They are 100% unrelated historically and yogically. The basic instruction for the "Bending the Bows" is to do 18 repetitions after the inital breath control sequence. If you want to continue with another set of 18 repetitions, then you initiate the new set by doing another round of the controlled breathing. As long as you follow the instructions as given on the DVD, you can practice the FP system or any portion of it as long as you want. You can also practice them at any time of day or night.

As stated in earlier posts, the FP meditations are very safe and self-regulating--i.e., you cannot really over-do them. After a while, the energizing and vibratory effects normally will level off and a calm stillness will be effected throughout the body as well as the mind. When the body has had enough of Flying Phoenix energy circulation, it naturally shuts it down softly.

Good Diagnostic Benchmark Question for all Practitioners: Has this been your experience when you have practiced (any of) the FP Meditations for long extended periods? --that the tangible energy effects (increased uniform body heat, involuntary movements, shaking, vibrating, and the warm "washing" sensation inside and outside the skull, etc.) automatically shuts down? --and in a gentle manner?

**I want to add here that because I cannot visually supervise FP Qigong practitioners using the DVD series, I hope that all practitioners will be sensible enough to listen to the wisdom of their bodies after the body has shut down the Flying Phoenix energy's vibratory effects--and just "let it be." As a teacher, I've seen every type of not obsessive-compulsive behavior in Kung-Fu, Tai Chi and Qigong, where an over-zealous student will force results from a particular practice. It doesn't matter what Qigong system one is practicing: over-zealousness, fanaticism, over-ideation about becoming the bullet-proof monk or a Taoist immortal, etc. is a mental imbalance that will derail correct Qigong practice and lead to unwholesome results. Read Hexagram 52, Keeping Still, third changing line in the I Ching (Book of Changes).**

(3) When you next do the seated Monk Serves Wine meditations, sit much further away from the electrical outlet. (I've never experienced that myself as I've just never practiced that close to a wall socket). But I will learn from your experience and pass your safeguard onward.

Thanks for your questions and thanks for your good wishes, Greanforest.

Enjoy the practice.

Terry Dunn

P.S. the name of the site has no periods in it: www.kungfupandalawsuit.com

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 1

Your DVD production and knowledge of Fae Fung Sunn Gung speaks for itself mate, great to see many experiencing the effects of this Energy System from Grandmaster Doo Wai of Bak Fu Pai Kung Fu.

Be well...

Sifu Garry :)

Si-Hing Garry,

Thanks so much for checking in and gracing me and the DVD series with your generous compliments! Congratulations on the new website videos and Youtube postings. I especially enjoyed the Sensitivity Training for GMDW's Burning Palm System called "Spinning Webs", which I have been practicing ever since you posted it. I do the patterns at the same speed and with the same martial focus/application that you show--but with Tai Chi relaxation. Your sequence of drills made reaffirming connections for me. Question: would you say that the "web" that's "spun" in this exercise pulls together the whole Burning Palm system quite a bit? I will be posting more Bot Din Gum (8 Sections Combined) Exercises and the actual "Sections" in the coming months.

All the Best Always,

Si-Hing Terry

P.S. To all TTB readers and FP Qigong practitioners who do Tai Chi: take a look at this excellent and very revealing demo by Sifu Hearfield:

Not only is Sensitivity Method for GM Doo Wai's Burning Palm System, but this series of total-body drills utilizing inward and outward circling patterns are identical to those seen in Tai Chi. The only differences between Sifu Garry's "Spinning Webs" and Tai Chi training patterns (perhaps) are in (a) the size of the "frame"(depending what style of Tai chi you do and who your teacher is, (b ) the degree of bodily relaxation, and (c ) the type of mental focus (for the issuance of energy by BFP's Burning Palm strikes is NOT the same method as "fast" fa-jing in Tai Chi Chuan and certainly not the "slow" fa-jing (as taught by Grandmaster William C.C. Chen).

Edited by zen-bear

Si-Hing,

Hope all is well, the BP Spider spinning wed exercise will eventually lead students to finding all BP fighting and wrestling techniques come from this. Its done solo and 2 man even just for understanding the different forces, structure testing etc. It can be done very slow and meditative which the spinning of the web is similar to reeling silk in taiji for health and qi cultivation.

Since the BP uses the Soong Tahn Ging " Loose Springy Force" it combines short and long power from the coiling of the body, trying to be Soong to release the Ging. I enjoyed your 8 sections combined has a lot of similarities hidden in the movements!

Take care Sihing

Sifu Garry

To me the Spinning of the web is your own magnetic field or aura, meaning you spinning your own web, or building up the aura and become super sensitive to energies physical or non physical like more in tune with your body and energy!

Similar to YKM Internal form - Lion rolling a ball "Si Ji Kwan Kou"

Edited by Warrior Body Buddha Mind

Si-Hing,

Hope all is well, the BP Spider spinning wed exercise will eventually lead students to finding all BP fighting and wrestling techniques come from this. Its done solo and 2 man even just for understanding the different forces, structure testing etc. It can be done very slow and meditative which the spinning of the web is similar to reeling silk in taiji for health and qi cultivation.

Since the BP uses the Soong Tahn Ging " Loose Springy Force" it combines short and long power from the coiling of the body, trying to be Soong to release the Ging. I enjoyed your 8 sections combined has a lot of similarities hidden in the movements!

Take care Sihing

Sifu Garry

Sifu Garry,

Thanks for your explanation of how the BP Spider Spinning Web training is done. While doing the patterns, I could feel how the potential for developing silk-reeling energy was simply a matter of doing the movements with complete relaxation and slow speed. What you are generously revealing in the footage that's of great value is the application of the proper practical angles of the "web-spinning" for combat...something that is developed in Tai Chi Chuan through years and years of Push-hands and San-shou.

Thanks again, Si-hing!

Terry Dunn

Edited by zen-bear

When I get around to it, ill make a clip of doing slow and meditative, that was for some students to show more martial way as you can see the body shape, qi and intent is different to a qi kung perspective for health although this exercises done in a martial intent will give great health results and sensitivity but in a relaxed health orientated way like Qi kung you will get similar results physically but the energy and body awareness can be much greater depending on students of course. I can switch on the energy and connect within a second be it martial energy or emptiness/stillness.

All is mind... :)

To me the Spinning of the web is your own magnetic field or aura, meaning you spinning your own web, or building up the aura and become super sensitive to energies physical or non physical like more in tune with your body and energy!

Similar to YKM Internal form - Lion rolling a ball "Si Ji Kwan Kou"

Yes! Indeed, what is being "spun" by the exercise is one's auric, martial energy field. But the energy "web" can only be created and used for practical self-defense if one's one's Tai Chi or Kung Fu form is correct and advanced enough such as yours--where one's circling is rooted, done with perfect linkage from root to hand, and one's "spinning" or circling is automatic and correct--i.e. the circling does itself effortlessly AND the circling generates energy. Or in other words, one can do the web-spinning for hours without tiring. At this level of practice, one's inner-awareness (of one's energy state) is clear and reliable--and in turn, by extending one's energy-awareness beyond one's skin and into the space through this kung-fu exercise, then outer-awareness( or sensitivity to external energies) is developed.

• Like 1