Fu_dog

Flying Phoenix Chi Kung

Hello Sifu Terry,

Two more questions: Is there a prohibition against showering right after a session of FPCK?

Does the breath sequence at the end of each exercise essentially "seal" in the energy so there is no leakage after?

Thanks again,

Rene'

Hello Sifu Terry,

During the Monk Serves Wine meditations, I sometimes get distracted for a moment and then lose count - If I'm off by one repetition, will the three closing breaths take care of any inconsistencies? Or is there anything else I should do to correct for any mistakes? Is it better to add an extra rep if I suspect I haven't done the full 7? This doesn't happen often, but every once in a while I have a momentary daydream for a few seconds while I go through the movements,which throws me off.

Many thanks,

Rene'

Hi Rene,

GMDW would often tell me once you finish with the 3 breaths not to do to much for at least 5 minutes, maybe a light stretch or sit down an let the energy run its course and settle where it needs to depending on the type of BFP meditations of course.

Sifu Garry

Hello Sifu Garry,

Many thanks for the tip, I will adjust practice accordingly.

Best,

Rene'

Hi Rene & Hi Sifu Garry,

Yes, our teacher GM Doo Wai's instructions for beginners was to take a 3 to 5 minute break between each meditation to let each one settle and seal itself. The three deep breathes at the end of each FP Meditation ends the meditation on the mental level, but sometimes one needs the addtional 3-5 or more minutes for one's energy to normalize.

Best,

Sifu Terry

• Like 1

Hello Sifu Terry,

Two more questions: Is there a prohibition against showering right after a session of FPCK?

Does the breath sequence at the end of each exercise essentially "seal" in the energy so there is no leakage after?

Thanks again,

Rene'

Hello Rene,

Everyone, I believe, when they started learning the FP Qigong or any of GM Doo Wai's other internal arts that involved repetitive rounds of a relatively complex sequence of movements done very slowly (at sand dune speed), such as the Monk Serves Wine seated med's, would lose count of their repetitions every now and then. To keep accurate count of the number of repetitions you do is part of the mental training. If you lose track of the number, just end the meditation when you think you've reached 7 reps (in the case of the MSW exercises). Once you practice the FP Qigong system for a while, you will know from experience and natural "feel" that missing one repetition or doing an extra 8th one won't kill you. But if it does, let me know! :lol::P:o:excl:

Sifu Terry

P.S. If you follow the basic instructions: 3 opening full breaths, the unique breath-control sequence for each meditation, the correct number of repetitions with properly executed movements, and 3 closing full breathes, you won't have any problems and you don't have to worry about any energy "leakage". Energy "leakage" would occur if one failed to do the 3 full breathes at the end and the just went about one's business. One would be walking around, going through one's daily routine in a hypnoidal,slightly somnambulist state, which is not a good thing to do--because (1) you'll be breaking qigong form as you perform everyday movements and activities but the qigong cultivation "engine" would still be running. In other words, you'd be operating with 1/3 of the Qigong process missing--your Xing, or shape-form: think of it as riding in a small skiff with an outboard engine, holding onto the tiller, but all of a sudden (as in a cartoon) there's no more boat--just you holding onto the motor going through water!!! (Who says that cartoons can't be one of the 1,000 gates to the Law?! :lol: ) (2) you'll be too sensitive to the normally subconscious physical sensations in your body, become distracted from your environment by being in that "high", and probably get run over by a truck.

The 3 deep breaths at the end normalize the energy of the body, and when taking the 3 breathes becomes a habit and convention--developed by doing the FP exercises for years and years, it becomes an effective "off" switch that allows one to to end any meditative or altered state you happen to be in.

Carry on, Rene.

Best,

Sifu Terry

P.S. No prohibition against showering or bathing after doing the FP Qigong. (But do make sure that you always finish with the 3 full breaths.) GMDW told us that the only specific prohibition was to not expose yourself to strong wind or dampness when practicing any of the meditative arts that he taught us. I would generalize that to say: avoid exposure to any extreme elemental forces when you practice the FP Qigong.

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 2

Hello,

Let me know also when you have time to Skype?

One.

Sifu Garry

Greetings,

Will do, Garry. As soon as dig out of an impossibly deep black hole--of unfinished pressing business you cannot imagine.

One.

TD

Hi All,

Yes, the number of reps like 3,6, 7 , 9, 18,36,72 and 108 all have meanings, but the number of reps you have for each meditation is an amount that you try to achieve to get the results. For instance I have some with 108 reps some just single moves thats because that one move over a long amount of reps become a muscle memory and your awareness of energy and body (muscle, bone, tendon force) becomes better. So if 7 is the number there is a reason but if you did more reps and you can handle it more power to you as the Grandmaster would say.

just my 2 cents worth

Sifu Garry

Here hope this cheers you up!!

Ok, send me your address by email I have something for you! ? :) Please...

Sifu Garry

Hello Sihing Garry,

I just viewed 6 of your Omei Bak Mei postings on Youtube that I had never seen before, including the link you sent. I take it that these are your most recent ones. Terrific! Congrats!

I especially like your Saam Bo Chung Choi. It's now official in my mind: your gung-fu form (root and linkage from root to hand) is more developed than any of GMDW's senior students from San Diego that I knew when I started training with him in 1991. Many people commenting on the Bak Mei, Yau Kang Mun, So. Praying Mantis, and GMDW's White Tiger gung-fu--and many practitioner's we know of White Tiger do NOT understand how the stances work with the hand techniques (starting with basic punching), and you have shown more clearly here in your demo of Saam Bo Chung Choi--than in all your previous clips--how they are supposed to work. I will PM you more about the SBCC Form.

Here is my mailing address:

Zen-Bear, Inc.

1112 Montana Avenue, Suite 707

Santa Monica, CA 90403

U.S.A.

Thank you so much in advance! Whatever you are sending will be quite a LIFT, I know!

I have more to send you as well.

Peace Brother Garry,

Terry

• Like 1

Hi All,

Yes, the number of reps like 3,6, 7 , 9, 18,36,72 and 108 all have meanings, but the number of reps you have for each meditation is an amount that you try to achieve to get the results. For instance I have some with 108 reps some just single moves thats because that one move over a long amount of reps become a muscle memory and your awareness of energy and body (muscle, bone, tendon force) becomes better. So if 7 is the number there is a reason but if you did more reps and you can handle it more power to you as the Grandmaster would say.

just my 2 cents worth

Sifu Garry

It's great to have you back on the thread! Thank you for your explanation--it's worth a bit more than 2 cents!

To all FP practitioners: you have found that the number of repetitions in FP Qigong training varies from 1, to 7 (in the seated MSW), to 18 (basic standing "Bending the Bows"), to any duration of time from 5 minutes to 40 minutes or longer for the stationary standing or seated exercises.

In GMDW's advanced 10,000 Buddhas Meditations, every one of the 48 exercises that has movement is done 18x as a general guideline. And within that system, there are special practices that vary from the 18 repetitions.

All the Best, Sihing.

Terry

• Like 1

Here hope this cheers you up!!

Ok, send me your address by email I have something for you! ? :) Please...

Sifu Garry

Sifu Garry,

Very nice video, your moves look very powerful.

Is there any internal movement done in this set as in fast Tai Chi? I can see you have mentioned "bridging and compressing" energy. I just wondered whether the mechanics were similar.

Hello Sifu Terry,

Many thanks again for your insight, it's always much appreciated.

Best,

Rene'

Hello Rene,

Everyone, I believe, when they started learning the FP Qigong or any of GM Doo Wai's other internal arts that involved repetitive rounds of a relatively complex sequence of movements done very slowly (at sand dune speed), such as the Monk Serves Wine seated med's, would lose count of their repetitions every now and then. To keep accurate count of the number of repetitions you do is part of the mental training. If you lose track of the number, just end the meditation when you think you've reached 7 reps (in the case of the MSW exercises). Once you practice the FP Qigong system for a while, you will know from experience and natural "feel" that missing one repetition or doing an extra 8th one won't kill you. But if it does, let me know! :lol::P:o:excl:

Sifu Terry

P.S. If you follow the basic instructions: 3 opening full breaths, the unique breath-control sequence for each meditation, the correct number of repetitions with properly executed movements, and 3 closing full breathes, you won't have any problems and you don't have to worry about any energy "leakage". Energy "leakage" would occur if one failed to do the 3 full breathes at the end and the just went about one's business. One would be walking around, going through one's daily routine in a hypnoidal,slightly somnambulist state, which is not a good thing to do--because (1) you'll be breaking qigong form as you perform everyday movements and activities but the qigong cultivation "engine" would still be running. In other words, you'd be operating with 1/3 of the Qigong process missing--your Xing, or shape-form: think of it as riding in a small skiff with an outboard engine, holding onto the tiller, but all of a sudden (as in a cartoon) there's no more boat--just you holding onto the motor going through water!!! (Who says that cartoons can't be one of the 1,000 gates to the Law?! :lol: ) (2) you'll be too sensitive to the normally subconscious physical sensations in your body, become distracted from your environment by being in that "high", and probably get run over by a truck.

The 3 deep breaths at the end normalize the energy of the body, and when taking the 3 breathes becomes a habit and convention--developed by doing the FP exercises for years and years, it becomes an effective "off" switch that allows one to to end any meditative or altered state you happen to be in.

Carry on, Rene.

Best,

Sifu Terry

P.S. No prohibition against showering or bathing after doing the FP Qigong. (But do make sure that you always finish with the 3 full breaths.) GMDW told us that the only specific prohibition was to not expose yourself to strong wind or dampness when practicing any of the meditative arts that he taught us. I would generalize that to say: avoid exposure to any extreme elemental forces when you practice the FP Qigong.

Hello Sifu Terry,

Best,

Rene'

You're welcome, Rene!

Dear Sifu Terry,

I intend to write a little more on my little experiences with the FP-meds...

but due to time limits this time just have a very short question:

As it is my gallbladder will get removed soon... via laparoscopy... in this

method they place at least one tubus through the side of the navel...

what is your take on the possible negative effects on ones energy or the Dan Tian

specifically? Any ideas how to seal possible leakage if there is any chance of it

at all?

any thoughts much appreciated in advance

til later this year

with smiles

harry

Hello Sifu Terry,

Best,

Rene'

The way Sifu Dunn describes " being left in the on mode" not sealing the practice is something to me that says yes!

Another "Ahaaah!!! laugh.gif .

What really gets my attention is his description.

"One would be walking around, going through one's daily routine in a hypnoidal,slightly somnambulist state"

I would notice that being around certain people I couldn't have a convo with or even look at them.

I could only think of ending the contact as soon as possible.

Felt like I was feeling their frustration or "whatever" and couldn't think clearly around them.

Groups would be similar but more of a Contact High.

The more I would practice chi kung the more "hypnoidal" it seems to be.

The chi kung cultivation engine I suspect is still revving.

I'll experiment and see if this sealing the practice with Three breaths the last breath exhaling through the mouth will help.

I do this with the Flying Phoenix and will apply to other practices.

Thanks Again to Sifu for giving generously.

Now I have to go look up what somnambulist means.

• Like 1

Greetings,

Will do, Garry. As soon as dig out of an impossibly deep black hole--of unfinished pressing business you cannot imagine.

One.

TD

Sifu Garry,

I sent you a PM in the early morning PST.

Best,

Sihing Terry

Dear Sifu Terry,

I intend to write a little more on my little experiences with the FP-meds...

but due to time limits this time just have a very short question:

As it is my gallbladder will get removed soon... via laparoscopy... in this

method they place at least one tubus through the side of the navel...

what is your take on the possible negative effects on ones energy or the Dan Tian

specifically? Any ideas how to seal possible leakage if there is any chance of it

at all?

any thoughts much appreciated in advance

til later this year

with smiles

harry

Hello Harry,

I'm sorry to hear of your pending surgery.

I don't think that surgery, properly performed, in the lower abdominal area would permanently affect one's energy and health or cause energy "leakage" due to its possible effects on the tan tien.

First, i speak from personal experience: In 1986, I was shot from behind with a .38 caliber pistol at night and after dispatching the assailant, ran home 5 blocks, called emergency services, and had emergency exploratory surgery at Cedars Sinai Medical Ctr. here in Los Angeles. The surgeons did a midline incision from just below the sternum to the pubic region--exactly 10 inches long--in order to see all the possible damage that the bullet had caused. (I think I described the damage in an earlier posting: the bullet barely grazed the right kidney, dipped in its path, and went clear through the liver form one end to the other and the slug stopped just underneath the skin 1" above the navel and 4" to the right of it. I was in the Intensive Care Unit for 3 days and then regular hospital room for 8 days and then was discharged. Of course, as soon as I could stand, I was doing Tai Chi and kung-fu forms and the Tao Tan Pai Neigung (I had no Flying Phoenix or White Tiger internal arts then as I had not met GM Doo Wai yet.) At any rate, I made a full recovery and steadily advanced in chi kung over the subsequent 24 years. Of course, my chi kung greatly accelerated and was taken to a different level when I trained under GM Doo Wai from 1991 to 1996.

Second, the tan tien as the focus of Chinese internal arts is not a physiological organ. It is a psychical locus. (--although with life-long practice of Tai chi, qigong and other internal arts, the physiology in the tan tien region(s) does develop differently than in non-practitioners.) In the (approximate) words of Master Kuan Sai Hung, in the biography "The Wandering Taoist" that his student Mark Ong (Deng Ming Dao) wrote in the 80's:

"In reality, there is no tan tien, there are no meridiens. EVERYTHING IS MIND."

Hope this helps, Harry. Good luck with the surgery.

Best,

Sifu Terry

P.S. Master Kuan, btw, is a Taoist priest of the Huashan sect, and as far as I know, is one of the only two temple-trained, fully ordained Taoist priests living in America today. Other one being Share K. Lew in San Diego. I am acquainted with Deng Ming Dao (who wrote "365 Degree Tao" and "Warrior Scholar"--nice works) and two former students of Master Kuan: the late Roger Hirsh, an advanced student of Tung Kai-Ying's Tai Chi Chuan and career acupuncturist, and Jeffery Roth,an advanced Pa-Kua practitioner who I had brought into the training circle under GM Doo Wai in 1991. In 1991, during one of his first meetings with GM Doo Wai, Jeffery Roth showed the GM the B&W still photos that MAster Kuan had given him that showed him doing impeccable kung-fu and Plum Flower Spear while in possessed trance. I saw these photos. As soon as GM Doo Wai saw them, he immediately recognized Master Kuan as authentic and exclaimed that this was Huashan "San Dah" (spiritualism/posession) and then informed me of the binding oath that Huashan priests take, and what they have to do in life to fulfill it. And also how to recognize a Huashan priest.

Much earlier around 1986 or 87, a meeting between Kuan Sai Hung and Share K. Lew was arranged. After the meeting up north, Share K. Lew told me personally how happy he was to have met Master Kuan and how impressed he was with Master Kuan's knowledge, vitality, youthfulness,and amazing linguistic range. How at 65 yrs of age, Master Kuan's hair was jet-black, saying "He look perfect."

I offer this corroboration of Master Kuan's authenticity and high priestly status from three of my peers in the arts (Dao, Hirsh, and Roth) and two of my teachers (both grandmasters)--Share K. Lew and Doo Wai--to clear the air and clear the blogosphere of some despicable, false rumors that were spread starting in the late 90's and the turn of the millenium by a couple of miscreants who dared call Master Kuan a fraud--purely out of self-aggrandizement and a severe pathology known as "father hate"--and without ever having trained with Master Kuan properly or long enough, but having only stolen bits and pieces of basic knowledge from him. One of these egomaniacs in particular actually believes and declared that he is the reincarnation of Lao Tzu :excl::huh::excl::excl::wacko: and writes books that unfortunately are bought and read by the unwitting. (Let me pause to take a few deep breathes here...OK, let's continue:)

Jesus on a Cross: Talk about blind leading blind :excl: All I can say is that this particular Blaspheming Fool, just before he leaves this earthplane, because he sought to undo the works and mission of Master Kuan, will meet the God of Huashan face-to-face. And to bring that type of fate upon oneself in this country takes real talent.

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 1

Hey Big Bro,

I didnt get any message and checked it and nothing? :(

Send me again?

Regards

Sifu Garry

Hi Sihing Garry,

Strange...I went to your TTB member page and posted a message. Have you checked?

Maybe I will send to your regular email address.

soon.

--Ack I just realized what I did wrong: I sent to your old member address, spirit ape, and not to wbbm. let me fix that.

TD

Edited by zen-bear

Dear Terry Dunn,

I have ordered 3 Weeks ago your DVD Set with the fastet delivery method which take 2-7

days. Since I not receive anything in this time I have PM you here and I neither receive an answer from you. Please check if you have send out the package I am waiting for.

Sincerely

Q

Hello Q,

>

> My apologies for the delay in fulfilling your order if indeed we overlooked it.

> What is your mailing address so that I can identify your order? Are you the "Quy Au" in Germany?

>

> If you are, your order was shipped on Nov. 11 and should arrive within days.

> Customs Form #: LC860778050US

>

> Best Regards,

> Sifu Terry

>

Edited by zen-bear

After One Year

It was just a little over one year ago when I made my first post regarding the Flying Phoenix system. I would like to provide my observations after one year.

First a little background. In November of 2010 I arranged a call with Sifu Terry to discuss the system, as I felt it had promise, however there were some things I wished to have clarified and wanted to speak with him directly. My first impression, in addition to having some technical questions answered, was that Sifu Terry had a strong belief in the system, as passion for teaching it. I felt very good about this. I began to practice in earnest. By the way, please keep in mind that when I began practicing I had just celebrated my 55th birthday.

I practice FP on the average of 30 minutes per day, however, on the weekends I practice sometimes for 90 minutes to two hours, taking Sifu's advice to practice your entire routine in the sequence presented in his DVD's.

Here are my observations after one year:

(1) The energy I feel in FP is stronger than any other system I had practiced. I am convinced the breathing sequences to begin each exercise are a differential factor towards this energy generation. No other system I had practiced had this, and I had practiced a number of qigong systems prior to Flying Phoenix.

(2) The most tangible benefit to FP practice is my appearance. Most of the wrinkles on my face have receded to smooth, and I look noticeably younger. Some wrinkles that were on my face for 5+ years have nearly vanished. This, to me is amazing. Nearly everyone who knows me I comments on this.

(3) I now use the appearance of my face to gauge my level of practice. If I am practicing "enough", then my face looks smooth, younger as a general condition. If I am not getting enough practice, then the wear starts to show, and this tells me I need to practice more.

(4) My libido has increased. Nuff said. ;-)

(5) The practice of Flying Phoenix washes away built up stress. I work some long hours in a high pressure environment. The FP exercises just seem to clean away the stress.

(6) I sleep more soundly. The second of the Basic Seated FP exercises and the first FP Advanced Seated are especially good to do before sleeping.

(7) I have not been sick, except for one cold, and I got that in March of this year. Coincidentally, that came on the heels of the only period over the past year where I had gone for a little more week without practicing, due to a brutal work/travel schedule. Since then, I practice daily, and have had no hint of any illness. I honestly believe had I not had the lapse in FP practice, that there is a good chance I would not have caught that cold.

(8) After one year, the practice of FP has truly become a "moving mediation". With practice that is what it has become. There have been several questions on the board about the parallels between FP and meditation. I can tell you that with more practice, the FP exercises become quite meditative. There is a peace and calmness experienced during the practice that is really quite special, however, at the same time there is this really nice experience of the Flying Phoenix energy. It makes the FP meditative experience quite unique.

(9) During the movements, I feel as if I am moving my hands through a "thick" qi (that's the only way I can describe it), and this feeling, in turn, slows my movements. It's as if the Flying Phoenix energy itself provides me feedback as to the correct speed of my movements, which is quite slow by the way.

(10) I often feel during the seated FP movements, that the hair on my arms is standing on end. Other posters have mentioned this feeling as well.

(11) I have a mental calmness about me now that is more pronounced than a year ago. I am not sure if I would 100% contribute that to the practice of FP, however, I feel for sure that it is a significant contributing factor.

(12) As FP exercises are practice one after the other (with a small break in between as prescribed by Sifu Terry), the energy builds with each additional FP exercise practiced. At least for me, the Flying Phoenix energy doesn't peak and level out. I feel a cumulative energy with each successive FP exercise.

I will stop there for now. Perhaps in another 6 months I will provide another progress report. I still have not learned all of the exercises as taught by Sifu Terry on his DVD's, so there is much more to look forward to.

I would like to offer a special thanks to Sifu Terry and also to Sifu Garry for your contributions to this thread.

Warmest Regards,

Lloyd

Edited for spelling.

Edited by Fu_dog
  • Like 3

Fu Dog,

Absolutely loved reading your last post, im very happy things are going really well with the FP Qi kung, Sifu Terry definitely understands this art fully as he was chosen to receive and teach it. I know that GMDW would be very proud of Sifu Terry ( Sihing) as both my Sifu and I have discussed some information on Sifu Terry years ago and spoke highly of him and what he received from his Sifu.

Well done to you mate, GMDW was big on "PERSEVERANCE", I forgot the chinese name for it but its usually hanging in the Mo Kwoon (kung fu school), to remind students of their hard work a head.

regards

Sifu Garry