Fu_dog

Flying Phoenix Chi Kung

This Tuina method of Lew's you describe sounds like the perfect pursuit to take once sufficient cultivation with FP has been accomplished and then begin to explore hands-on methods and techniques to actualize it with clients. Does anyone offer this, a similar or effective method with video? As I am a long way from the U.S. west coast and quite busy.

And is it possible for someone with some background and experience in healing to learn it from video instruction? (I know, I know, rambling, rambling and questions galore...welcome to the inside of the head of a mercurial metal dog)

Hello Metal Dog,

Excuse me for jumping in here. I've also been thinking about seeking instruction in tuina at some point in the future, and happened to come across this site:

Taoist Sanctuary of San Diego Tuina Chinese Medical Massage

They are teaching tuina in the tradition of Master Share K. Lew, and have a good number of books and dvds for sale under "products." I haven't seen any of these materials yet, so can't comment on their quality.

Another program that I thought looked very interesting is Zheng Gu Tuina which is in New York. I am pretty sure that the two instructors (Frank Butler and Tom Bisio) did traditional apprenticeships under Xingyi masters Kenny Gong and Vincent Black respectively.

In my state I'd have to get a massage license first before being able to practice any form of body work legally, so it may be a while before I can do any of this...

Edited by Dainin

Hello Metal Dog,

Excuse me for jumping in here. I've also been thinking about seeking instruction in tuina at some point in the future, and happened to come across this site:

Taoist Sanctuary of San Diego Tuina Chinese Medical Massage

They are teaching tuina in the tradition of Master Share K. Lew, and have a good number of books and dvds for sale under "products." I haven't seen any of these materials yet, so can't comment on their quality.

Another program that I thought looked very interesting is Zheng Gu Tuina which is in New York. I am pretty sure that the two instructors (Frank Butler and Tom Bisio) did traditional apprenticeships under Xingyi masters Kenny Gong and Vincent Black respectively.

In my state I'd have to get a massage license first before being able to practice any form of body work legally, so it may be a while before I can do any of this...

Hi Dainin,

Thanks for mentioning the Tui-Na Acupressure course being taught at the San Diego Taoist Sanctuary. I am most familiar with and am fully versed in that Tui-Na system and actually helped refine the Tui-Na curriculum in the late 70's early 1980's with my school brother Bill Helm (Director of the Taoist Sanctuary for past 25+ years), John Davidson (Share K. Lew's No.1 senior student at the time), Bruce Eichelberger (another senior student more focussed on healing art than martial art in L.A. in the 70's and 80's), and another senior instructor whose name I won't mention because he is a long-term felonious criminal who hasn't been arrested and prosecuted yet (but his victims who wound up wounded on my doorstep in 1985 are still alive, pretty much healed now after 26 yrs., and are ready for justice). At any rate, although I haven't taught the course since my time Cedars-Sinai Hospital in 2000, I am able to teach a Tui-Na course based on the exact same 13 strokes that Share Lew passed on to our circle of senior students in the mid-1970's.

I don't know who is teaching Tui-Na now at the Taoist Sanctuary these days, but Bill Helm is able to teach it in any emergency for he and I and the others worked together on the original curriculum. Bill created the first teaching pamphlet with b&w photos, which, who knows, may be still in use today.

Sifu Vince Black is a wonderful old friend who I haven't seen in decades. He and Bill Helm were two of the four guest Sifu observers/witnesses to my black sash test certification in 1983 (for the Tao Tan Pai and Sil Lum 5 Animals Systems), which lasted about 9 hours. During the second to the last portion of the test, I fought full-contact against my instructor, then my instructor plus classmate (and equal when it comes to fighting) Hugh Morison, then those two plus Bill Helm, and then those three plus Vince Black.

I met Sifu Kenny Gong twice when he was alive, for I was very close buddies with fellow classmate psychologist Jeff Pfeiffer (under John Davidson), who was best friends with and studied with Stu Charno, one of Kenny Gong's sr. students in California who taught Hsing-Yi out of his studio in Venice for a number of years. Your mention of Vince Black and Kenny Gong brought all these associations and rather high times back to memory.

Thanks for the blast from the past!

And Sifu Vince Black, if you're out there, a warm and healthy HOWDEEE!!!

Best,

Sifu Terry Dunn

P.S. I spoke to Bill Helm about 2 months ago and he told me that Sifu Lew is no longer personally teaching anything through the Sanctuary and hadn't been for a while. But the Sanctuary's course offerings in martial and healing arts teach the knowledge that was directly transmitted by Share Lew starting in the early 1970's when the Taoist Sanctuary was in Los Angeles on near Oxnard St. and Cahuenga Blvd.

Edited by zen-bear

Thank you so very much for this Dainin. This is most useful.

Most states and their laws do make it illegal for you to do any form of hands-on bodywork in exchange for money or barter. And you cannot refer to yourself as a therapist, advertise or operate in the manner of a business. Most times you cannot use certain terms in advertising or in discussions either, such as massage, massage therapy etc. Certain terms, depending on the state, cannot be used for what you do without a professional license. It is interesting that sometimes Reiki practitioners do not need a license because their work may fall under not having to touch the body or manipulate its tissues. But that means you may get layperson quality in the treatments. Licensing is a good idea, most states have a 500-600 hour course requirement. I think Canada has an extensive 2000-3000 hour course.

But not having a license does not prevent you from studying up on this material now and beginning to do some work on family, close friends and associates. To start familiarizing yourself with the methods and getting some hands-on practice. The laws do not generally prevent you from doing this privately from home for free. Just a consideration.

A good massage-style table is most helpful to work on people. Oakworks is my favorite and has long been an industry standard. They cost, but you get what you pay for. My very first table from them is 25 years old and still going strong. http://www.oakworks.com/

There are a couple other good manufacturers for less price. But for such a long-term ownership item, I prefer to pay the extra. I also use my table for my own relaxation and a few special stretches that I could not do otherwise. If you have any questions about getting a good table or anything else about massage school please feel free send me a PM.

Terry,

Thanks again for these histories, sources and confirmations.

Very useful and most appreciated.

Edited by metal dog

Sifu Terry -

IIRC, you had advised first time practitioners of FP to practice indoors.

Can you please comment on practicing indoors and outdoors?

Thanks,

Lloyd

PS - The variety (and quality) of discussions generated on this thread are outstanding...so thanks for your continued contributions to this board.

i would also like to know if we can let friends and relatives borrow the dvds and suggest ways to make the exercises easier if they need it.

also, what is the significance of the right over left dan-tien hand position? why does the left hand hold the right? would this be the same concept as the bending down and going to the right then left then right of "wind above the clouds?"

i would also like to know if we can let friends and relatives borrow the dvds and suggest ways to make the exercises easier if they need it.

BEGIN SARCASTIC REMARK:

Sure, why stop there? Why not let everyone you know in town borrow the dvd. I'm sure Terry wouldn't mind. I'm sure the store he has on the web is just for fun and giggles.

END SARCASTIC REMARK

Have yet to reach the end of this long thread, but was struck curious and interested by what I have read thus far. Taichimania seems to hold all of Mr Dunn's materials. My question is, to start this self healing system, which of the materials would your suggest?

I have no real experience of martial arts or QiGong - only ridiculously strange energetic experiences with myself and others and would like to finally have a grasp on my own development, and would like to learn chi cultivation and self-healing, else-wise I am also interested in introducing my wife to self healing techniques and trying internal healing techniques with her in the future for the benefit of us both.

Thank you for your time.

Have yet to reach the end of this long thread, but was struck curious and interested by what I have read thus far. Taichimania seems to hold all of Mr Dunn's materials. My question is, to start this self healing system, which of the materials would your suggest?

Flying Phoenix Chi Kung for Health volume 1 and 2. Volume 1 is standing exercises, volume 2 is seated. The seated exercises make you feel the FP energy quite fast whereas the standing not so much - in my experience. However both standing and seated are necessary I think Sifu Terry stated somewhere in this thread.

Sifu Terry -

IIRC, you had advised first time practitioners of FP to practice indoors.

Can you please comment on practicing indoors and outdoors?

Thanks,

Lloyd

PS - The variety (and quality) of discussions generated on this thread are outstanding...so thanks for your continued contributions to this board.

Hi Lloyd,

It really doesn't matter whether one practices the Flying Phoenix Qigong indoors or outdoors--as long as one's environment is quiet, calm, secure, temperate, non-toxic, and free of noise, odors and distractions, and free from any inclement types of weather and harsh elements. Most importantly, wherever you practice should be free of any objects or animals physically bumping in to you while you're practicing the meditations, as that can seriously damage your internal energy and compromise your health.

Of course it's more beneficial to do FP Meditations outdoors in a quiet Sequoia forest at 8,000 ft. with lots of clean air than to practice overlooking NYC's Time Square during rush hour.

Because all of the FP Qigong exercises highly sensitize all the organ systems of the body and the nervous system, you do not want to expose yourself to strong wind, cold, or rain, snow, ice, sleet, dust, etc. when you practice them. FYI, when I filmed the CKFH dvd's in Death Valley, CA in 2003,during the very last day of filming (of Volume 7) we had to take a long break for several hours because a small little sandstorm in the shape of a visible mini-cyclone blew right through out location. We had to cover up the cameras and take cover ourselves. (In fact, if you look at Vol. 7, there is one segment where you can see a distant dust-storm blow right across the distant background-- from left to right, I recall.)

Because outdoor weather conditions can sometimes change very quickly, I advise that one take the path of least resistance and first learn the FP Qigong system indoors. Then once it's learned, one's strength and immunity will be that much stronger so that one can expose oneself to changing weather conditions, stampeding buffalo, avalanches, runaway snowmobiles, police car chases, or a Rastafarian band parachuting on top of you. :lol:

Sifu Terry

Flying Phoenix Chi Kung for Health volume 1 and 2. Volume 1 is standing exercises, volume 2 is seated. The seated exercises make you feel the FP energy quite fast whereas the standing not so much - in my experience. However both standing and seated are necessary I think Sifu Terry stated somewhere in this thread.

Thanks for providing your accurate advice to Mokona, WTM.

True that many people tangibly feel more dramatic energy effects with the seated Monk Serves Wine Meditations of Volume 2. But all the standing FP meditations are in general more powerful than the seated meditations. The standing and seated meditations work together to form a complete system.

Sifu Terry Dunn

also, what is the significance of the right over left dan-tien hand position? why does the left hand hold the right? would this be the same concept as the bending down and going to the right then left then right of "wind above the clouds?"

Hello Funkytortoise,

The Flying Phoenix Qigong meditations are already pretty simple in movement. Only if someone is physically impaired or handicapped or infirmed should one think about changing the movements to make them easier to do. For example, the Standing Exercise "Monk Holding Pearl" in Volume One of the DVD series can be done in any position: standing, seated, and lying supine.

But at any rate, the breath control sequences at the start of each exercise should NOT be changed in any way.

Holding right hand in the left palm against the tan tien (lower abdomen) is a basic, universal position found in all forms of meditation throughout the world (sometimes called "lotus hand" or "earth meditation position"). Other than Some of the Flying Phoenix exercises involved the right hand held in the left palm; others involve the left hand being held in the right palm.

As far as I can tell, there is no conceptual relation between this hand position and the left/right bending-stretching actions of "Wind Above the Clouds."

Sifu Terry Dunn

LOL - great answer Sifu! I live in Florida, so there are a few Rastafarians around, though I haven't (yet) seen any dropping by parachute. ;-)

I usually practice FP in the late evening, and since it's starting to get a little cooler as Fall approaches, I am starting to practice outdoors in my fenced in backyard under the stars. There's something quite peaceful about the setting.

Also - I *did* see the sandstorm in the background of your Vol 7 dvd. I thought it was pretty cool....didn't know it had menaced your filming.

Thanks,

Lloyd

The other day, while doing holding peach (much more relaxed than when I started), towards the end of the 10 min, my torso started twisting to the left, slowly by with fairly strong force. Lower body and head remained facing forward. I guess it turned about 45 degrees when I intentionally stopped and returned.

I was reading "How to Measure and Deepen Your Spiritual Realization" and it was mentioned that when the body gets relaxed through meditation all different sorts of issues can surface. Bodywork (chiropractor etc.) was suggested as a method for healing.

Hi Junbao, Although I did answer your questions here in a previous posting, my spirit beckoned me to write some more. So here are a few more comments in italics below that might add a little more insight and also a FORM TIP to help the seated warm-up meditation with the palm rotation:

So I decided to stop jumping around like a spider monkey and settle on two standing and two sitting FP exercises and stay with them for a while. :lol:

Yes, everyone reacts differently to the FP exercises; some do indeed have dramatic involuntary vibratory movements and convulsions that make them bounce around like a spider monkey. That's one of the fun aspects of this practice--free unbridled energetic movement.

It's hard for me when I learn of a new practice that is exciting to me, I really just want to jump in and immerse myself and learn and do. But eventually I will back off and try to take the best of what I have learned as it applies to me and stick with that. :P

So for the next month or so I am going to work with Monk Holding Peach and Wind Through the Tree Tops for standing, and then the seated version of Monk Gazing with the hand turning and the third movement from Monk Serves Wine will be my sitting.

That's a very good start. By now, I'm assuming that you've expanded from this basic starter regimen. I would suggest that you always do Monk Gazing At Moon. 60 40 20. Over the years, the grandmaster often alluded to this meditation as an all-essential foundation in many different ways. As I've stated in earlier posting, "Monk Holding Pearl" is also cornerstone of the standing series that can be done in almost any position--standing, seated in a chair, seated in half-lotus, lying supine. If you do MGAM, MHP along with Monk holding Peach, you'll notice that you are focussing the FP energy cultivation at three tan tien's.

A couple of things I have noticed while doing Wind Through Tree Tops. One is that the movements are really enjoyable to do at a very slow speed. I mean like so slow that at points you are not sure anymore if you are moving still or have paused for a moment. It is so completely relaxing. A big contributor to this, for me at least, is that the breathing is not coordinated wit the movements. With some things I have found that when a set breathing pattern is set to certain movements, the movement is only as slow as you can inhale/exhale. I am sure this has it's benefits also, but in the case of relaxation and completely letting go I personally prefer natural breathing with no thought. I find my breathing naturally syncs up with certain movements on it's own depending on where it needs to go at that time. :)

The second thing I noticed from Wind Through Tree Tops is that is very strong in activating the palms. I feel them very buzzy. Not the entire hands but the palms specifically. Following WTTT with the seated Monk Gazing with the hand tweeks really takes this even further, as the palms rotate to face yourself, face each other, and also face away from you. There is healing energy directed toward yourself and then also out to the universe. :D That is the way I am seeing it ATM anyhow.

Also a couple times after doing these together I have felt some light pulsing in the perineum area. Not for very long, and not very strong, but there.

Indeed, Wind Through Treetops brings energy to the palms very effectively. How you have reported the energy effects you are experiencing indicate that you are doing the exercise correctly. Congrats.

I did have two questions for Sifu Terry regarding the seated med with the hand turning. In the video you recommend sitting for a min. or two minutes before doing the hand turning in and out. What I was wondering and maybe a couple other people as well, is can you hold the Monk Gazing pose for say 5 min or even 10 min. before starting the hand turning?

As I answered previously, you can hold the position for as long as you want before you start the forearm rotation. Note that I said forearm--not just the hand.

Hint: Turn the palms with a n imaginary control lever attached to your forearm about one inch below the elbow joint.

Also you mention doing the turning a min. of 30 times. I was wondering if you are counting in as one time, out as one time, or in/out as one time.

I would like to do them as slow as possible but then 30 in/outs would take quite a long time :P

Tip: You can do the forearm tweakings at various speeds. Also trying do it as slowly as possible--so slow that it doesnt look to an observer that the forearms are turning--even though you know that they are turning.

Thanks again all for coming and sharing in the thread and for Sifu Terry who has taken the time to field our questions and further expand on things :D

firephoenix.jpg

You're welcome. ENJOY.

Edited by zen-bear

Thank you very much for that post Sifu Terry! :D

I had a question cross my mind this morning while practicing. You mention MHP can be done standing, sitting, etc. Are you talking about the position itself, or the position along with the breathing sequence? For example, starting with the standing meds MHP, MGAM, and MHP. Then after a couple of sitting meds, closing with MHP but in half lotus. I just wasn't sure if you were just talking about holding the position while in stillness or actually adding the breathing sequence to it. It seems like the breathing would only add another beneficial element to it?

I really am liking MHP and it along with Monk Serves Wine #1 and WTTT are becoming my favorites! :)

When I do MHP everything sinks and relaxes very nicely, and everything just kind of goes and my sense of space and self just sort of dissolves. Very nice.

Thanks again!

Hi Junbao,

I'm glad you're experiencing nice results from the FP practice.

My answers to your questions are in italic-bold below:

Thank you very much for that post Sifu Terry! :D

I had a question cross my mind this morning while practicing. You mention MHP can be done standing, sitting, etc. Are you talking about the position itself, or the position along with the breathing sequence?

I mean that the entire exercise, breathing sequence included, can be done in any of those 3 positions.

For example, starting with the standing meds MHP, MGAM, and MHP. Then after a couple of sitting meds, closing with MHP but in half lotus. I just wasn't sure if you were just talking about holding the position while in stillness or actually adding the breathing sequence to it. It seems like the breathing would only add another beneficial element to it?

I really am liking MHP and it along with Monk Serves Wine #1 and WTTT are becoming my favorites! :)

Glad you are enjoying Monk Holding Pearl. Many people don't appreciate its effects because it seems like a simple exercise. But its subtleties are powerful!

When I do MHP everything sinks and relaxes very nicely, and everything just kind of goes and my sense of space and self just sort of dissolves. Very nice.

Thanks again!

The feeling of the physical body "dissolving" (with relatively little practice)is a trademark of the FP Meditations.

Enjoy,

Terry Dunn

Edited by zen-bear

Brand new experience this morning while doing bending the bows. Common but somehow unexpected.

Did the warm-up for about 10 minutes and then three reps of bending the bows for 15 mins. Half way in the med I started sweating, big time. While doing the last MGM sweat was dripping off my elbows, at the end my t-shirt was soaked. Felt light and refreshed afterwards.

Nic

Brand new experience this morning while doing bending the bows. Common but somehow unexpected.

Did the warm-up for about 10 minutes and then three reps of bending the bows for 15 mins. Half way in the med I started sweating, big time. While doing the last MGM sweat was dripping off my elbows, at the end my t-shirt was soaked. Felt light and refreshed afterwards.

Nic

Hi Nic,

Bending the Bows is one of the most important moving FP meditations. It first massages all the organs in one's body mass physically with its symmetrical opening and closing movements that first appear to b--and feel to b--on two planes. With more refined and slower practice of each round of the exercise, the FP energy will manifest and its cultivation will be tangibly felt...and the opening and closing of the FP energy will be felt to occur on more than the initial 2 planes.

Thanks for sharing.

Enjoy,

Terry Dunn

Edited by zen-bear

My observations so far after 8 weeks of practise:

Standing:

- Monk Gazing at Moon, 60 40 20: The energy is not so tangible yet

- Bending the Bows, 70 50 40 30 10: sometimes arms are feeling very heavy. It somehow feels that the hair on my arms are raising as I do the movements

- Monk Holding Peach, 90 50 40 20 10: I didn't feel much in the beginning but now I can feel a sort of pulse or wave of energy through my arms

Seated:

- Monk Gazing at Moon, 5 60 80 40 30: This exercise was strong from the beginning and is getting stronger. I can feel a kind of "buzz" in the head as I am holding the hands in the static position. When I move the hands toward myself I can feel the energy pulsing toward me.

- seated number two, 50 30 10: arms feeling heavy. Wonderful exercise, just sitting there and arms going up and down. Sometimes I feel some lower back pain, what is the cause, I do not know

- seated number three, 50 10 50: This took some time to activate. After a couple of times, the "buzz" is easily felt. One time I was kind of gone, another time I had a picture in my mind at the end of the meditation which was kind of precognitive. It could be worry projected as future prediction but it felt otherwise.

I have not started doing the Monk Serves Wine on a daily basis yet (one month left doing the basic ones) but when I have time left for extra exercises I have done Monk Serves Wine #1 and #2. During one of these I saw blue light, I guess it is chi affecting the optic nerve (according to "Bill Bodri: How to Measure and Deepen Your Spiritual Realization").

On a side note my Tai Chi practise is going well (about 1 year of practise every day). The energy is stronger. One day the energy was going like a stream through the body. It could be caused by increased awareness (maybe by FP) but anyhow this is my observation.

I know that Bill Bodri says the real chi is first felt at much later stage, he prefers to call the first signs of energy wind chi; my observation is just increased energy or awareness of energy.

Sifu Terry, I have one question: could Monk Holding Pearl, 50 40 30 20 10, be done without holding the hands at the lower tan tien - but still having the attention at the tan tien? Reason for asking: when in a public place (airplane, bench, wherever) it would be nice to just close the eyes, do the breath sequence and not draw attention to yourself.

Edited by wtm

Sifu Terry,

Would you mind describing in more detail the ways that could squander the energy accumulated?

I have been focusing on dvd #1 for a while, doing gazing a the moon, holding peach and holding pearl in one session and bending the bows and wind above the clouds in a different session on a different day.

The other day, while doing holding peach (much more relaxed than when I started), towards the end of the 10 min, my torso started twisting to the left, slowly by with fairly strong force. Lower body and head remained facing forward. I guess it turned about 45 degrees when I intentionally stopped and returned.

Just for sharing with the group.

Thanks,

Nic

Hello Nic,

Sorry for overlooking your question when you first wrote this...and taking so long to find it. But better late than never, I guess:

The FP energy reserve that you create through long-term, proper practice is actually quite difficult to squander unless you drastically change your lifestyle to an unhealthy and self-destructive one, and such a change is normally caused by a dramatic shift in mentality and psychological health. In general, it boils down to what types of forces you expose yourself to--positive or negative. Specifically, you can deplete the FP energy reserve by developing any type of excess or imbalance in your physiology through bad diet, substance abuse, over-eating, under-eating,sleep deprivation,exposure,lack of exercise, too much exercise, prolonged physical exhaustion, and knowingly or unknowingly absorbing extremely high levels of stress.

Trying to heal others with FP energy without sufficient training in the FP Qigong as well as the delivery method can also have depleting affects. It's called being a "wounded healer."

As stated in an early post, best results in FP Qigong and pretty much all of the internal arts under the White Tiger banner depend on a foundation of regular and sufficient sleep, as well as a decent diet. Thus if you somehow become seriously sleep deprived for a long term, the FP energy will quickly deplete--especially if you cease practicing it.

Also as stated in earlier post, the FP Qigong practice is not affected by sexual activity; celibacy is not required during its practice. So you really have to knock yourself out with excessive sexual activity in order to undo the gains made through FP practice. But I guess anything is possible... :huh:

Regards,

Sifu Terry Dunn

I'd just like to say this has been one of the most interesting threads I've followed on this forum.

Thank you to everyone for the information and particularly Sifu Dunn.

Hi Nic,

Bending the Bows is one of the most important moving FP meditations. It first massages all the organs in one's body mass physically with its symmetrical opening and closing movements that first appear to b--and feel to b--on two planes. With more refined and slower practice of each round of the exercise, the FP energy will manifest and its cultivation will be tangibly felt...and the opening and closing of the FP energy will be felt to occur on more than the initial 2 planes.

Thanks for sharing.

Enjoy,

Terry Dunn

Hi Sifu Terry!

This brought up a question for me regarding speed vs. reps.

For example, with Bending the Bows or Wind Through Tree Tops, is there more or less benefit to doing them as slow as possible or doing more reps? Of course slow is key either way, but would it be better to do one very slow rep of WTTT that takes 10 min to get through, or two slow reps that take 5 each rep to get through?

With the movements are also the breathing sequence, and I was mainly wondering if more reps of the breathing sequence and movements was more beneficial, or if as slow as you can go is more the key.

I am sure one answer could be that there should be a nice balance there between the two, but is one more or less effective than the other?

Thanks!

I'd just like to say this has been one of the most interesting threads I've followed on this forum.

Thank you to everyone for the information and particularly Sifu Dunn.

Hi MJJ,

You're welcome. 'Glad you found the info to be interesting. What's a blog for, after all?

Regards,

Terry Dunn

Hi Junbao,

Answers are below in bold italic:

Hi Sifu Terry!

This brought up a question for me regarding speed vs. reps.

For example, with Bending the Bows or Wind Through Tree Tops, is there more or less benefit to doing them as slow as possible or doing more reps?

In general, more benefit is had by doing FP meds. as slowly as possible.

But one has to do enough repetitions in the beginning to anchor the practice.

If one practices 20 to 30 minutes of any one FP moving meditation,you can vary the speed from imperceptible (moving at the "speed of a shifting sand dune") to perceptible (movement ranging from 10 minutes to complete 1 rep to 1 or 2 mins.)

Of course slow is key either way, but would it be better to do one very slow rep of WTTT that takes 10 min to get through, or two slow reps that take 5 each rep to get through?

With the movements are also the breathing sequence, and I was mainly wondering if more reps of the breathing sequence and movements was more beneficial, or if as slow as you can go is more the key.

As long as you do the breathing sequence just once at the start of the exercise, it's more beneficial to do it as slowly as possible. Once you develop the ability to do the FP movements at "sand dune" speed and practice that way long enough, then one day you'll find that you can do the movements at any speed while maintaining the same level of total-body relaxation (marked by the experinece of not feeling your body at all when you move.) That is similarly experienced in Tai Chi Chuan and other Chinese internal martial arts. **Make sure that you are not repeating the breathing seq. with each repetition of movements--but are doing it just once at the start of your repetitions!

I am sure one answer could be that there should be a nice balance there between the two, but is one more or less effective than the other?

You have to answer this last question for yourself simply by practicing a lot. The FP energy cultivation occurs differently in everyone according to their unique psycho-physiology and also to their state of spiritual development.

Thanks!

Enjoy your practice.

Terry Dunn