Fu_dog

Flying Phoenix Chi Kung

On 10/11/2023 at 12:36 AM, EternalStudent said:

Hi Sifu Terry, I’m a returning student. I have made it to the short form Capstone exercise which I still have to master. 

I began hearing buzzing in my ears after I laid the foundation in another system in 2020. I’ve been hearing it 24/7 since then. 

When I do Flying Phoenix, the sound gets louder. So while Flying Phoenix may not generate this electric qi, perhaps it enhances it?

I will say though that Flying Phoenix is too intelligent a system if that makes sense lol. It boggles the mind. 

Every exercise seems to be a heavenly formula for tweaking our consciousness…tuning it to a different frequency. My entire being is cleansed from negative emotions after practicing. I don’t experience this with other systems. The difference is like night and day. 

I do physical labor for work and just one 5 minute exercise before work will give me enough energy to move continuously for 10 hours minus a few breaks. 

Hi External Student:

I began hearing buzzing in my ears after I laid the foundation in another system in 2020. I’ve been hearing it 24/7 since then. 
Hmm. Interesting.  But hearing the buzzing 24/7 doesn't sound like a typical effect of Qigong. 

If you care to disclose, what is the other system you practiced and made foundational in 2020?

When I do Flying Phoenix, the sound gets louder. So while Flying Phoenix may not generate this electric qi, perhaps it enhances it?

That may be the case.  Continue your practice of both and see if that relationship is constant.  If FP Qigong consistently enhances the effect from your other Qigong practice with no ill effects, then I suppose the other system is also a solid system that only benefits health.

I will say though that Flying Phoenix is too intelligent a system if that makes sense lol. It boggles the mind. 

Yes, FPCK still boggles my mind when I think about how it works and how swiftly it works.

Every exercise seems to be a heavenly formula for tweaking our consciousness…tuning it to a different frequency. My entire being is cleansed from negative emotions after practicing. I don’t experience this with other systems. The difference is like night and day. 

Thanks for this stellar feedback.   I'm enlarging it here and I'm going to print it on tshirts or laminate on the back of a jacket!!

I do physical labor for work and just one 5 minute exercise before work will give me enough energy to move continuously for 10 hours minus a few breaks. 

Fabulous report of a typical result. 

Remember:  FPCK is the health safety net of the vast Ehrmei Mtn. Bok Fu Pai Kung Fu tradition.  As a discrete Qigong discipline, I would say that FPCK represents about 1/20 (or less) of the total body of knowledge that is  Bok Fu Pai system.  (You can check with my classmate, Sifu Garry Hearfield about this.)  Also recall "ridingtheox"'s comment in Year One of this thread when he said that he had retired to ranching in NE Arizona at 71 years of age--and that all he needed to do was the Vol.4 Long Form standing meditation two times and he was good for a full day of ranching!  --And that he didn't have to do Tai Chi anymore--which had been practicing for 25 years. (I told him not to stop his Tai Chi.)

Yours and ridingox's stories are ample Proof of the Pudding that FP Qigong rejuvenates the human process (mind, body & spirit) and supplies an abundance (I say a super-abundance) of energy to DO WORK.

Thanks again, "InternalStudent"!!

Sifu Terry

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 3

On 10/11/2023 at 12:55 AM, tao stillness said:

Thank you Sifu Terry for the clarification of where the energizer meditation is found. 

I remember when doing the meditation nicknamed, the sleeper, that I would often doze off while doing it right before bed but I would wake and realize my hands and arms were still doing the posture while part of me was briefly snoozing.  

You're welcome, Steve!

Also, try MSW2 on Vol.2.  As I just discussed with Learner, that is also an excellent sleep-inducer.

Best,

Sifu Terry

• Like 2

On 10/12/2023 at 3:21 AM, johndoe2012 said:

I don't know when exactly I started doing FPCK, but it has to be more or less from the beginning of the thread. I had some breaks in between, but 13-14 years of FPCK gives some nice results.

Some time ago I discovered I can communicate with the energy/intelligence behind FPCK and direct the healing towards specific parts of my system and also other persons and their issues. Whether this is the official way of healing with FPCK I don't know, but it works for me.

Also I notice in general with cultivation it is helpful to enjoy life and your passions as the qi flows better in your body and life seems just way better.

Hello johndoe2012,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the benefits you've experienced from doing FPCK for 13-14 years.

Yes, such long-term practice certainly makes life better.

I certainly agree that as health, vitality and brain function  improves through FPCK practice,  one's outlook/worldview improves, and life gets better.

I've been practicing FPCK since 1991...after learning the system  from Grandmaster Doo Wai. And I can say FPCK along with my Bok Fu Pai and my  Tai Chi Chuan practices have gotten me through some very, very challenging and otherwise demoralizing obstacles in my life, like this epic David vs. Goliath battle against Hollywood corruption that would have crushed other beings...but is now soon  to enter into its Round #2 and promises Perfected Justice:

http://www.kungfupandalawsuit.com/Timeline_Hotspots_New.html

Some time ago I discovered I can communicate with the energy/intelligence behind FPCK and direct the healing towards specific parts of my system and also other persons and their issues. Whether this is the official way of healing with FPCK I don't know, but it works for me.

••• Whatever means you've found to communicate with the intelligence behind FPCK, go with it, and continue your healing of others.  That is what FPCK was designed to do (as in Qigong definitions #2 and #5 listed below). •••

Also I notice in general with cultivation it is helpful to enjoy life and your passions as the qi flows better in your body and life seems just way better.

Overall, FPCK has made life more enjoyable, more understandable, and at times downright blissful in enabling one to feel and know Cosmic or Universal Love.  Thus FPCK has helped enable me to become an eternal optimist. 

Also, to help equate improved quality of life to higher meditative states of consciousness facilitated by FPCK or any authentic system of Yoga, I highly recommend reading this 2-part article by Daniel Goleman that he wrote in the early 70's: translating the  yogic teachings of the Buddha and putting them into historical context--for they provide a precise language (ie., the 8 jhanas) to talk about the higher benefits of an effective Qigong system like FPCK:

"THE BUDDHA ON MEDITATION AND STATES OF CONSCIOUSNESS" parts 1 and 2:

Part 1:   https://www.proquest.com/openview/ded681544ec561a09e24da20df67db44/1?pq-origsite=gscholar&cbl=1816469

Part 2:    https://www.atpweb.org/jtparchive/trps-04-72-02-151.pdf

Reading these articles gives one a useful language by which to talk about one's FPCK experience or any transcendental state---as opposed to New Age gobbledy-gook that you hear blathered on old Gaiam dvds.

My experience has been that FPCK and the other Bok Fu Pai Yogas are some of the best life insurance policies you can give yourself.   Also my other specialties--Tai Chi Chuan and Tao Tan Pai Kung Fu & Nei Kung are equally GREAT life insurance policies--if you complete your apprenticeship and master the art.

Any complete system of Chinese Kung Fu--and certainly any authentic system of Qigong-- will impart 5 essential, defining benefits:

1.)  Strong immunity against disease

2.)  Healing energy enabling one to alleviate or cure disease in others.

3.)  Fully integrated bodily strength that lasts throughout a lifetime.

4.)  Improved intelligence...and thus longer life.

5.)  Latent powers.

These 5 functional criteria defining Qigong are spelled out nicely in Master T.K. Shih's book "Qi Gong Therapy" (Station Hill Press. 1994) that I strongly recommend to every FP practitioner to read.

I'm very happy to hear of your high attainment with FP Qigong, John Doe.

May you reach even higher states of living.

Peace,

Sifu Terry

www.taichimania.com/chikung_catalog.html

terencedunn.substack.com

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, zen-bear said:

Hello External Student:

Thanks for sharing your experience.

So now I’m working on finishing up the intermediate/advanced meditations while doing one meditation a day.

Great that you're worked your way up to the intermed. and advanced meditations at a comfortable, good steady pace.

I’ve found that once you spend some time with Flying Phoenix, it doesn’t take much to activate the energy in your body.  It’s like everything I’ve gained from the practice is contained within each exercise. 

YES!  and YES! – to these two statements.

If you don't mind:  Based on these two sentences, I now hereby officially rename you for intents and purposes on Daobums and elsewhere:  "Able_InternalStudent"!

Congratulationss!

Sifu Terry

Thank you so much, Sifu Terry! 

In this thread alone you have shared a staggering amount of information on FPCK which has been a great help to everyone here, even if they don’t say it. 

I have a few questions:

1.) Do you have any plans to make the advanced FPCK exercises available to the public? 
2.)Have you considered releasing the teachings in digital format? In an age where more and more people are using their smart phones to consume media, I would gladly repurchase the series in digital format, and I’m sure many others would do the same. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, zen-bear said:

Yes, Vol.4 Long Form Standing Meditation, which gives the system its name FLYING PHOENIX HEAVENLY HEALING CHI MEDITATION is the capstone exercise of the entire system.  Its practice subsumes the practice of all preceding 7 standing meditations.

Does this mean when someone does the Vol.4 Lnog Form Standing Meditation that they can stop doing the preceding 7 standing meditations?

22 hours ago, EternalStudent said:

Thank you so much, Sifu Terry! 

In this thread alone you have shared a staggering amount of information on FPCK which has been a great help to everyone here, even if they don’t say it. 

I have a few questions:

1.) Do you have any plans to make the advanced FPCK exercises available to the public? 
2.)Have you considered releasing the teachings in digital format? In an age where more and more people are using their smart phones to consume media, I would gladly repurchase the series in digital format, and I’m sure many others would do the same. 

Hi EternalStudent!

Thank you so very much for your kind compliment about the amount of info on FPCK that I have posted on this thread to help practitioners--and its quality as well, I hope!

Answers to your questions:

1.)  Do you have any plans to make the advanced FPCK exercises available to the public? 

• Yes, I do plan to make the next level of advanced standing FPCK exercises available to the public.  But I haven't decided on the media format yet.  I will probably publish the new material on  DVDs or possibly put them on a  streaming platform accessible on a subscription basis.  I will not make them available on downloadable digital files (see below).

2.)  Have you considered releasing the teachings in digital format? In an age where more and more people are using their smart phones to consume media, I would gladly repurchase the series in digital format, and I’m sure many others would do the same. 

• No.  As I explained about a two years ago:  after long and thorough assessment with many experts in the entertainment industry and lawyers, I decided that the risk of piracy and loss of control of distribution of these programs is too great to make these programs available on downloadable digital files.  Also, viewing the visual content (my physical demonstrations) of the DVD programs on a small hand-held device (including tablets) is not very efficient nor popular according to my surveys of my students in the U.S.  The majority of serious FPCK students that I've spoken to connect a disc drive to a large TV monitor in order to follow the instruction of a big picture.  Plus external disc drives are more affordable than ever--selling from US$13 to US$40 online on sites like Amazon.

But thank you for expressing your interest in digital versions of the CKFH programs.

Regards,

Sifu Terry

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 2

On 2023. 10. 15. at 6:53 AM, zen-bear said:

Hi Centertime,

I noticed a vertical chi flow on both sides of the body...

That is quite normal and commonly reported experience.

The flow seems to start from the hands and go down the limbs... It is somewhat surprising outcome.. a new phenomenon I just have experienced for a week..    

Interesting

Question:  Do you feel this directional flow starting with the hands while you're looking straight ahead through your fingertips in Monk Gazing At Moon?  Or are you looking at your hands and then moving your eyes down the forearms and to teh upper arms,etc.?

No.. I can sense movement only if I pay attention to my arms... Today there was a flow on left side, no flow on right side.

On 2023. 10. 15. at 6:53 AM, zen-bear said:

Depending where I put my attention I sense different thing.. E.g. on the right side.. I can see blackness, very low perception, there something happens at the boundary of perception.. something happening, some kind of regeneration.

My case is unusual i perceive things outside my body. E.g. my thoughts and and blackness and low perception happens outside the body.

I wonder if it means... Have I reached some kind of stage?

It sounds like a basic stage.  How long have you been practicing FPCK, Centertime?  (I remember your screenname from past postings!)

I try the system time by time. This round has been going on for 2 weeks.

Yesterday I tried the long form.. it sensed what I call "dark harmony"...  meaning there are no colours (that is good because visual perception often bothers me. and calmer...)... That feeling came back in 3 waves..with hours of breaks between them.  Inner part of elbow started to ache for a short while later. (That is touched in the exercise). It stopped.  Then there was a throbbing on my big toe..  It seemed to move a lot of stuff.

Edited by centertime

21 hours ago, EFreethought said:

Does this mean when someone does the Vol.4 Long Form Standing Meditation that they can stop doing the preceding 7 standing meditations?

Hello EFreethought:

Yes, it is the "capstone" exercise of the FPCK system.  Its practice can and does subsume the practice of the preceding 7 standing FP exercises.  Thus, given limited time for FPCK practice in one's daily schedule, one can practice 30 to 60 minutes of just the Long Form Exercise instead practicing any combination of the first 7 standing meditations in that same period of time.  However, if one's practice is not time-constrained, for optimal results, one should continue practicing the first 7 meditations along with the Long Form Meditation. Each FP meditation has specific effects and the effects of every exercise are cumulative.  

If one is time-constrained and wants to practice only the Vol.4 Long Form Meditation, you can do so but with these caveats:

(1)  Make sure that you have practiced all the preceding 7 standing FP meditations correctly and long enough/to the extent that you have clear experiential knowledge of specific health benefits and yogic effects of each meditation on the body.  For example, as a general rule, I have taught absolute beginners  (with no background in Qigong or internal arts like Tai Chi Chuan) to practice the first 7 standing meditations daily for a minimum of one hour each day (along with one or two seated Monk Serves Wine meditations) ...and to practice this way for 9 MONTHS before starting the Long Form.

(2)  Thoroughly practice all the seated Monk Serves Wine Meditations on Volumes 2 and 7 --such that you know how each meditation works on your body.

*With my in-person and online students,  I regularly ask them to articulate what specific effects they are feeling right after they've practiced each exercise.  They must articulate.  As the late John Davidson, my favorite Qigong/Kung fu master in Tao Tao Pai Nei Kung system (the other Taoist tradition I preserve) said to us in the late 1970's: 

"You must articulate.  If you cannot articulate, you know NOTHING!"

(2)  Make sure that you have learned the Vol.4 Long Form Standing Meditation ("Capstone Exercise") correctly--by having me at some point review your practice--not just in terms being doing the Long Form's postures and movements correctly, but also becoming proficient enough to do the Long Form at a minimum speed of 15 minutes per round.  If you've read this entire thread, you will recall that in its early years, subscribers were posting that they were having an ongoing contest online of who could do the Long Form Meditation most slowly.  Several practitioners were taking more than 40 minutes to complete one round of the Long Form--and reporting both health-enhancing and profound consciousness-altering effects. 

(3)   One should continually practice  the first 7 FP  standing meditations in one's daily practice (in any combination) while one is learning the Vol.4 Long Form Meditation...and up until the time one can do the Long Form correctly over a span of 15 minutes.

(4)   Make sure that you practice the Capstone Exercise for at least 30 minutes each session--and practice daily.  That means for beginners: 

to do 3 rounds of the Long Form at an average speed of 10 minutes per round, 

or two rounds at an average slow speed of 15 minutes  per round,

or, for advanced practitioners, doing one round for a duration of 30 minutes--or even longer. 

(5)   Once you have learned the Capstone Exercise, and are practicing it correctly (and at a speed of 15 minutes per round or slower) and are  experiencing enhanced  and cumulative healing effects and deeper meditative states of consciusness, then you can cut back on the preceding 7 standing FP meditations.

>>>   THE ABOVE ARE MY TRADITIONAL GUIDELINES FOR DERIVING OPTIMAL HEALTH BENEFITS FROM FP QIGONG. <<<

As many here have posted and recommended:   it certainly helps to do a private  online or in-person lesson with me to get form corrections and guidance in the many nuances of effectively practicing this Capstone Meditation.  One nuance, for example, to accelerate one's progress in FP Qigong IF one is also practicing Tai Chi Chuan or other Chinese internal martial art, is developing a training schedule that leverages the foundation that Tai Chi and other arts can provide to your FP Qigong practice.  E.g., the other Taoist monastic system of Nei Kung that I preserve is Tao Tan Pai (Taoist Elixir Method) which  I have definitively proven (to myself, for now) to have been founded by Taoist immortal, Lu Tung-Pin, coincidentally works as a fantastically effective foundational catalyst that enhances all the benefits of FP Qigong practice.  This "directional synergy" or catalyzation is why I  have been teaching since January 2020 a weekly Zoom class comprised of one hour of Tao Tan Pai 31 Basic Meditations followed by one hour of FP Qigong practice.

Finally, there are many, many nuances to refine FPCK practice that are sublime--when has reached the point of feeling a tangible reserve of FP Healing Qi being cultivated in the body.

Enjoy your practice and steady progress towards doing  the Long Form Meditation solely as your day to day FPCK practice.

(Print out this posting and bookmark it on your computer and devices.)

Sifu Terry Dunn

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, zen-bear said:

Hello EFreethought:

Yes, it is the "capstone" exercise of the FPCK system.  Its practice can and does subsume the practice of the preceding 7 standing FP exercises.  Thus, given limited time for FPCK practice in one's daily schedule, one can practice 30 to 60 minutes of just the Long Form Exercise instead practicing any combination of the first 7 standing meditations in that same period of time.  However, if one's practice is not time-constrained, for optimal results, one should continue practicing the first 7 meditations along with the Long Form Meditation. Each FP meditation has specific effects and the effects of every exercise are cumulative.  

If one is time-constrained and wants to practice only the Vol.4 Long Form Meditation, you can do so but with these caveats:

(1)  Make sure that you have practiced all the preceding 7 standing FP meditations correctly and long enough/to the extent that you have clear experiential knowledge of specific health benefits and yogic effects of each meditation on the body.  For example, as a general rule, I have taught absolute beginners  (with no background in Qigong or internal arts like Tai Chi Chuan) to practice the first 7 standing meditations daily for a minimum of one hour each day (along with one or two seated Monk Serves Wine meditations) ...and to practice this way for 9 MONTHS before starting the Long Form.

(2)  Thoroughly practice all the seated Monk Serves Wine Meditations on Volumes 2 and 7 --such that you know how each meditation works on your body.

*With my in-person and online students,  I regularly ask them to articulate what specific effects they are feeling right after they've practiced each exercise.  They must articulate.  As the late John Davidson, my favorite Qigong/Kung fu master in Tao Tao Pai Nei Kung system (the other Taoist tradition I preserve) said to us in the late 1970's: 

"You must articulate.  If you cannot articulate, you know NOTHING!"

(2)  Make sure that you have learned the Vol.4 Long Form Standing Meditation ("Capstone Exercise") correctly--by having me at some point review your practice--not just in terms being doing the Long Form's postures and movements correctly, but also becoming proficient enough to do the Long Form at a minimum speed of 15 minutes per round.  If you've read this entire thread, you will recall that in its early years, subscribers were posting that they were having an ongoing contest online of who could do the Long Form Meditation most slowly.  Several practitioners were taking more than 40 minutes to complete one round of the Long Form--and reporting both health-enhancing and profound consciousness-altering effects. 

(3)   One should continually practice  the first 7 FP  standing meditations in one's daily practice (in any combination) while one is learning the Vol.4 Long Form Meditation...and up until the time one can do the Long Form correctly over a span of 15 minutes.

(4)   Make sure that you practice the Capstone Exercise for at least 30 minutes each session--and practice daily.  That means for beginners: 

to do 3 rounds of the Long Form at an average speed of 10 minutes per round, 

or two rounds at an average slow speed of 15 minutes  per round,

or, for advanced practitioners, doing one round for a duration of 30 minutes--or even longer. 

(5)   Once you have learned the Capstone Exercise, and are practicing it correctly (and at a speed of 15 minutes per round or slower) and are  experiencing enhanced  and cumulative healing effects and deeper meditative states of consciusness, then you can cut back on the preceding 7 standing FP meditations.

>>>   THE ABOVE ARE MY TRADITIONAL GUIDELINES FOR DERIVING OPTIMAL HEALTH BENEFITS FROM FP QIGONG. <<<

As many here have posted and recommended:   it certainly helps to do a private  online or in-person lesson with me to get form corrections and guidance in the many nuances of effectively practicing this Capstone Meditation.  One nuance, for example, to accelerate one's progress in FP Qigong IF one is also practicing Tai Chi Chuan or other Chinese internal martial art, is developing a training schedule that leverages the foundation that Tai Chi and other arts can provide to your FP Qigong practice.  E.g., the other Taoist monastic system of Nei Kung that I preserve is Tao Tan Pai (Taoist Elixir Method) which  I have definitively proven (to myself, for now) to have been founded by Taoist immortal, Lu Tung-Pin,

How did you prove yourself that it was founded by Taoist immortal Lu Tung Pin?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/16/2023 at 9:53 AM, centertime said:

How did you prove yourself that it was founded by Taoist immortal Lu Tung Pin?

1.)  By tying Lu Tung-Pin's specific teachings of his internal alchemy to exactly how the advanced Tao Tan Pai Yogas are practiced and how the Tao Tan Pai yogic methodology works.   

2.)  And also by tying LTP's teachings to how the Tao Tan Pai 5 Animal Kung Fu forms are traditionally practiced.  (Btw, TTP 5 Animals are different than the 5 Animals in Shaolin Kung Fu:  instead of the tiger, dragon, snake, crane and leopard in Shaolin, TTP's 5 Animals are tiger, dragon, snake, crane, and monkey.)

I can assure readers here--and even make this declaration:  no sinologist can figure out how to apply Lu's yogic teachings to anything they know.  But a high-level kung fu/qigong master (even one outside of the Tao Tan Pai tradition) might be able to understand and apply Lu Tung-Pin's teachings.

Translations of Lu Tung Pin's specific teachings can be found in books like, "The Tao of Health, Longevity, and Imortality, The teachings of Immortals Chung and Lu"  translated by Eva Wong. 

But to understand how the advanced Tao Tan Pai Yogas work (to be able to connect Lu's teachings to them), one has to first master the Tao Tan Pai 5 Animals Kung Fu system well enough to be taught the Tao Tan Pai Nei Kung.  (That's a long-term proposition and the subject of a different thread [--and a short thread at that because Tao Tan Pai Kung Fu and its Nei Kung are kept secret and taught very traditionally]. )

Sifu Terry Dunn

terencedunn.substack.com

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 3

On 10/16/2023 at 5:27 AM, zen-bear said:

Hi EternalStudent!

Thank you so very much for your kind compliment about the amount of info on FPCK that I have posted on this thread to help practitioners--and its quality as well, I hope!

Answers to your questions:

1.)  Do you have any plans to make the advanced FPCK exercises available to the public? 

• Yes, I do plan to make the next level of advanced standing FPCK exercises available to the public.  But I haven't decided on the media format yet.  I will probably publish the new material on  DVDs or possibly put them on a  streaming platform accessible on a subscription basis.  I will not make them available on downloadable digital files (see below).

2.)  Have you considered releasing the teachings in digital format? In an age where more and more people are using their smart phones to consume media, I would gladly repurchase the series in digital format, and I’m sure many others would do the same. 

• No.  As I explained about a two years ago:  after long and thorough assessment with many experts in the entertainment industry and lawyers, I decided that the risk of piracy and loss of control of distribution of these programs is too great to make these programs available on downloadable digital files.  Also, viewing the visual content (my physical demonstrations) of the DVD programs on a small hand-held device (including tablets) is not very efficient nor popular according to my surveys of my students in the U.S.  The majority of serious FPCK students that I've spoken to connect a disc drive to a large TV monitor in order to follow the instruction of a big picture.  Plus external disc drives are more affordable than ever--selling from US$13 to US$40 online on sites like Amazon.

But thank you for expressing your interest in digital versions of the CKFH programs.

Regards,

Sifu Terry

I fully support you on that. Lately I’ve been thinking about the topic of digital media vs physical media and what means for the future in regards to ownership. 

Glad to hear you’re staying the course and avoiding digital downloads. 

I am one of those students who trained with a television screen as my preferred method. A laptop would be my second option. I couldn’t imagine using a smartphone to train myself, but I know many younger people who would try.  

A subscription plan via streaming is certainly more appealing to me. 

• Like 2

On 10/15/2023 at 1:14 AM, zen-bear said:

Hi External Student:

Hmm. Interesting.  But hearing the buzzing 24/7 doesn't sound like a typical effect of Qigong. 

If you care to disclose, what is the other system you practiced and made foundational in 2020?

That may be the case.  Continue your practice of both and see if that relationship is constant.  If FP Qigong consistently enhances the effect from your other Qigong practice with no ill effects, then I suppose the other system is also a solid system that only benefits health.

Yes, FPCK still boggles my mind when I think about how it works and how swiftly it works.

Thanks for this stellar feedback.   I'm enlarging it here and I'm going to print it on tshirts or laminate on the back of a jacket!!

Fabulous report of a typical result. 

Remember:  FPCK is the health safety net of the vast Ehrmei Mtn. Bok Fu Pai Kung Fu tradition.  As a discrete Qigong discipline, I would say that FPCK represents about 1/20 (or less) of the total body of knowledge that is  Bok Fu Pai system.  (You can check with my classmate, Sifu Garry Hearfield about this.)  Also recall "ridingtheox"'s comment in Year One of this thread when he said that he had retired to ranching in NE Arizona at 71 years of age--and that all he needed to do was the Vol.4 Long Form standing meditation two times and he was good for a full day of ranching!  --And that he didn't have to do Tai Chi anymore--which had been practicing for 25 years. (I told him not to stop his Tai Chi.)

Yours and ridingox's stories are ample Proof of the Pudding that FP Qigong rejuvenates the human process (mind, body & spirit) and supplies an abundance (I say a super-abundance) of energy to DO WORK.

Thanks again, "InternalStudent"!!

Sifu Terry

Sorry for the late reply. I’ve been sick the last few days. Feeling much better now. 

During that time I was (almost religiously!) practicing Spring Forest. After a few months of celibacy combined with training for 6 hours a day and some intermittent fasting, I was able to reach a permanent blissed out state. 

Then I stopped feeling chi as strongly as I did,  and the chi always felt cold. The buzzing in the ears came after. I later on figured out that the lessing of sensation was natural. 

After a long period of celibacy, I needed a system that didn’t require it to reach advanced levels. I just happened upon FPCK when I really needed it, and right away I could tell its special. 

After finding FPCK I have no need to practice anything else. I get more out of one FPCK exercise then I do complete systems. Plus, I would want to mix the energies. 

Within the first week of practicing FPCK, GM Doo Wai appeared to me in a dream. Mind you, I had never seen this man before. I found out who he was after I did some research. He told me he was surprised I was able to reach him there; and told me some information about the lineage.

…So I have zero doubts that FPCK is lifetime system. I haven’t seen anything else quite like it. 

It’s funny you mention Sifu Gary! While I haven’t trained with him directly, I am subscribed to one of his channels. Much like yourself, he is no nonsense, speaks his mind, and doesn’t waste your time. His podcasts about various martial arts disciplines are always interesting. 

Wow, doing all that at 71 is wild! He is an inspiration to us all. 

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

Hi everyone!

Soon, I'll start practicing Flying Phoenix Chi Kung (just waiting for DVDs to arrive) and Sifu Dunn was kind enough to point that thread if I have some questions regarding practice! Thanks Sifu!

Beside being excited to begin this journey, I already have a little question:

As explained on my presentation post, I started venturing into qigong world with Anthony Korahais' book. Looks like what he teaches comes from Shaolin Cosmos Chi Kung of a certain Wong Kiew Kit (I saw that one of his book is on the recommended reading list on Sifu Dunn's website). 

Would it be better to stop practicing that first style to completely focus on Flying Phoenix Chi Kung? And do I need to wait some days without any practice before starting FPCK?

Thanks for your insights 🙏

Edited by Boreas
  • Like 1

On 2023. 10. 17. at 12:16 PM, zen-bear said:

But to understand how the advanced Tao Tan Pai Yogas work (to be able to connect Lu's teachings to them), one has to first master the Tao Tan Pai 5 Animals Kung Fu system well enough to be taught the Tao Tan Pai Nei Kung.  (That's a long-term proposition and the subject of a different thread [--and a short thread at that because Tao Tan Pai Kung Fu and its Nei Kung are kept secret and taught very traditionally]. )

Sifu Terry Dunn

I have more questions...

Why do you call it d Tao Tan Pai Yogas when it is Chinese?

I have been doing wind through Treetops? I have noticed the whole set is made of building blocks of other more simple exercises.

Is it possible to know what each component does in the treetops? What the effect is of each building block... what does they do?

What effect do they have? What is the exercise made up as it is?

Edited by centertime

Boreas, 

In my way of thinking, the main reason you might want to give up your other qigong method is because for sure you will need that time to perform Flying Phoenix. This is not a 20 minute routine. Also, if you are like most other new practitioners, after doing FP for awhile you will naturally compare FP to whatever else you have done in the name of qigong and you will quickly realize the differences between FP and other qigong methods. At that point you probably would naturally see no need to do any qigong method other than Flying Phoenix. More is not always better. One of the greatest spiritual/energy masters of the 20th and 21st centuries, Maharishi Mahesh Yogi taught, "always go for the highest first."

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Hi, A question to experienced folks. Do you start to feel the energy less and less overtime? After your channels are opened?

Hi Sifu Terry,

Thanks for the illuminating answers! I shall continue practicing.

Re: spontaneous qigong, I learned it from Sifu Anthony Korahais who learned it from Sifu Wong Kiew Kit. Definitely a bit more intentional than the movements I've experienced in Flying Phoenix.

Edit: Just thought of another question about Monk Gazing at the Moon. You mentioned in this thread that going through the motions without breath control will dilute the exercise. What about other Zhan Zhuang styles that utilize the same MGM posture? Should I avoid them? Thanks.

Alex

Edited by daokedao
  • Like 1

My partner has schizophrenia and I'm always looking for ways to help him relax and calm his brain -- might Flying Phoenix be a good choice?  He has a lot of anxiety from voices and the idea that people are judging him / want to hurt him and tends to kind of freeze up with tension.  Ideally, I think he needs something simple rather than a complicated form that would be hard to learn or would require a lot of precision.  Thanks in advance for any ideas you might have.

• Like 1

What are peoples experiences with practising flying phoenix and tao tan pai at midnight? I have read midnight is when yin energy is strongest and it could be too strong so was just wondering if this was true.  

Thank you 

• Like 1

At last I made sure that I found some time to perform a few FP meditations that I used to do regularly several years ago. 

Yesterday and today I performed Monk Holding a Pearl, and Bending the Bows. During Bending the Bows it brought back that old familiar sensation from past FP practice when my hands would slowly move toward each other and the feeling of  Qi was so strong that the slower I went the stronger it became and the harder it was to move my hands towards each other. I have never felt Qi that strongly in any of the other 100 different styles of Qigong that I have learned. Other Qigong systems have you imagine squeezing a balloon or a beach ball in order to increase the sensation of Qi when moving your palms toward each other. But with Flying Phoenix Chi Kung, the sensation of Qi gets stronger and stronger on its own, no amount of imagination required. And the slower I go, the stronger the sensation. So due to the slow pace of doing Bending the Bows and the time it takes to do 18 repetitions, I have to do 9 reps in the morning and then 9 reps again in the evening. 

And to answer the above question about doing qigong at midnight, I often have not had time to do my daily qigong quota until 11pm- past midnight. The sensation of Qi has always been stronger at those times than when I  do Qigong in the morning or afternoon. But better to be in bed by 10pm, per Ayurveda, because from 10pm-1am is when many of the bodily systems get replenished, especially the immune system.  Unfortunately, I always have been a night owl and have not been in bed by 10pm since I left Maharishi International University in 1982, a university based on Ayurvedic principles for health and evolution of consciousness. So it was lights out at 10pm on campus back then. 

Edited by tao stillness
additional information recalled.
  • Like 2

On 26/10/2023 at 6:07 AM, Summer said:

Not FP but agree with midnight practice. Every time I've done it the sensations and everything else have been way more intense than any other time of the day. Wonder why this is? Ayaveda says its nope. The secretion of hormones say that too. TCM is gallbladder. Maybe it strengthening the gallbladder which in turn helps the liver circulate chi more smoothly? That and gallbladder emotions are like confidence, assertiveness etc.. and feel good on top of the practice? I wonder if midday practice with heart timing would help or not with it being opposite? Maybe not but it is very, very noticeable in boost.

On 26/10/2023 at 6:07 AM, Summer said:

Not FP but agree with midnight practice. Every time I've done it the sensations and everything else have been way more intense than any other time of the day. Wonder why this is? Ayaveda says its nope. The secretion of hormones say that too. TCM is gallbladder. Maybe it strengthening the gallbladder which in turn helps the liver circulate chi more smoothly? That and gallbladder emotions are like confidence, assertiveness etc.. and feel good on top of the practice? I wonder if midday practice with heart timing would help or not with it being opposite? Maybe not but it is very, very noticeable in boost.

Thank you for these responses, I been putting of practising at midnight , but ill give it a shot and see how it goes

On 18/10/2023 at 7:07 PM, EternalStudent said:

A subscription plan via streaming is certainly more appealing to me. 

I agree, this would be my preferred method of learning over DVD. It would also be a good way to reach younger practitioners who have never seen a DVD or a DVD player in their life 😂

On 18/10/2023 at 8:00 PM, EternalStudent said:

Within the first week of practicing FPCK, GM Doo Wai appeared to me in a dream. Mind you, I had never seen this man before. I found out who he was after I did some research. He told me he was surprised I was able to reach him there; and told me some information about the lineage.

That sounds like an amazing experience! I wonder how you managed to reach him.

• Like 1