findley

An informal report on the Taoist summit, Beijing

Winn will always be a polarizing figure, with people liking, disliking him and switching between the two. It doesn't help that Winn has followed in the footsteps of Chia in over promising results. So you do get teenagers looking for immortality and getting disillusioned. Still I've found him a very good teacher and trailblazer for Taoism in the West.

I never set teachers up that high, so I'm not disappointed when they're proved just human. I'm willing to pick and choose what I feel is valuable (or simple) from the teacher I'm with. The bad part that is I'm less inspired and concentrated on a practice. I applaud people like Findley & Stigweard who are inspired enough to practice hard and make pilgrimages to China to learn.

Michael

Speaking of polarization, LaoTzu remarked, "When the great Tao is lost, benevolence and righteousness spring forth. When wisdom and sagacity arise, there are great hypocrites. When family relations are no longer harmonious, we have filial children and devoted parents. When a nation is in confusion and disorder, patriots are recognized. Where Tao is, equilibrium is. When Tao is lost, out come all the differences of things."

Without the harsh words of some, sweet and mannerly words are unnecessary.

Notice how the birds dont stop tweeting even if you direct all manner of foul curses at them? Their nature is to tweet. Just like this guy Findley's nature is to spew spoons at people. Fundamentally spoon-spewing and tweeting is the same -- it is our minds that finds one less pleasant than the other. So it would not make one iota of a difference to him if he was labelled a foul-mouthed SOB Worm or the nicest 'kweiloh' bloke in China -- he will just remain as he is.

Without a care, i wander aimlessly, listening to the birds and the worms..

:lol:

My computer doesnt read chinese hanzi :rolleyes:

These posts are much better !

The summit was held in China World Hotel . . . short ways east from wang fu jing.

One taoist nun presented a paper about global warming, I think She was very upset about it.

Hey... do you know of anyone who can portray objective results from some sort of cultivation. here in beijing..?

But regardless of the success of this summit at least efforts are being made to make it an annual event and make Taoism a better known philosophy.

Peace & Love!

Marbled one,

The Tao is all of China and most of Asia.

To have meetings on it though is not exactly something they do- except as a family.

In China, even many years ago - Development of Philosophy has replaced the development of religion.

As such - the Tao is about as much of a religion as China has developed = but has developed it as a philosophy with "some" religious aspects.

In case you haven't noticed, the meditation of Taoism is linked directly to Buddhism - The one meditation that has developed, as related to Taoism, is translated as: "Self Cultivation" or "Inner inspection"

Here are a few of the Taoist holidays as almost - if not - every full moon also is a holiday.

http://taoism.about.com/od/holidays/a/holidays2009.htm

It should be noted that as each holiday listed below has a given date, each date changes for different years because the actual date is a phase of the Sun or the Moon - which is the basis of the Chinese Calendar (mainly based on the Moon) and the Chinese see the Sun and Moon as changing in time.

Chinese New Year January 1 January 26

Lantern Festival January 15 February 9

Tomb Sweeping Day March 9 April 4 Ching Ming or Solar Equanox

Dragon Boat Festival May 5 May 28

Ghost Festival July 15 September 3

Mid-Autumn Festival August 15 October 3

Double Ninth Day September 9 October 26

To get a complete idea of the Taoist /Buddhist holidays - I suggest downlading this perpetual calendar - it is free and I have used it for about 10 years, in Windows and Linux, without problems - You do need to select which format to run it in though - So - here is the Users Guide : http://www.lunarcal.org/UG/UG-TOC.html

And here is the download of the program: http://www.lunarcal.org/Download.html

As Taoism is practiced, it is largely about time - of which, the clock is; the moon, the sun, life, health - and death.

The 'English' word China, as a nation, choo5ses to describe itself to foreigners "Republic" - comes from Plato's "Republic" as Plato defines Republic as a place where Philosophers are Kings (the Leaders) - thus the people are led through philosophy.

The below is an excerpt from:

http://www.spaceandmotion.com/Philosophy-P...Philosopher.htm

"And those whose hearts are fixed on Reality itself deserve the title of Philosophers." excerpt from: Plato, Republic.

"The society we have described can never grow into a reality or see the light of day, and there will be no end to the troubles of states, or indeed, my dear Glaucon, of humanity itself, till philosophers are kings in this world, or till those we now call kings and rulers really and truly become philosophers, and political power and philosophy thus come into the same hands, while the many natures now content to follow either to the exclusion of the other are forcibly debarred from doing so. This is what I have hesitated to say so long, knowing what a paradox it would sound; for it is not easy to see that there is no other road to happiness, either for society or the individual." excerpt from: (Plato, Republic)"

More quotes from Plato's Republic:

http://www.quotationspage.com/quotes/Plato/1

Here is a web page made by a good friend that has over a million hits a month that will give a complete picture of China: http://www.chinapage.com/

Edited by ~jK~

This is from the Yan Xin Qigong Association probably 6 years back or so:

In Beijing, China, a seventeen year-old high school female student has been in Bigu for over six years, only drinking water.

My computer doesnt read chinese hanzi :rolleyes:

These posts are much better !

The summit was held in China World Hotel . . . short ways east from wang fu jing.

One taoist nun presented a paper about global warming, I think She was very upset about it.

Hey... do you know of anyone who can portray objective results from some sort of cultivation. here in beijing..?

:)

Hi ~jk~,

I just love the way some of y'all make such wonderful efforts toward leading me to expand my perspective of Taoism.

And I really do appreciate it. Really.

In case you haven't noticed, the meditation of Taoism is linked directly to Buddhism - The one meditation that has developed, as related to Taoism, is translated as: "Self Cultivation" or "Inner inspection"

While this is true of today's Taoism, I can look to Chuang Tzu and find all the guidance I need regarding meditation. I find his to be the least ritualized form of meditation of any others I have read about.

Although I spent twenty years of my life defending 'my' nation and its way of life I truely am a cosmopolitan at heart. In my mind I can imagine a 'one world of people' governed by a republican form of government headed by a benevolent philospher/dictator. Yes, this would make it close to what China is experiencing today.

And I honestly see Taoism as an excellent base for the philosophy of that said dictator.

If you haven't already notice, I have a problem with religion. (The more laws a society has the more criminals there will be. The more sins a religion defines the more sinners there will be.)

And I realize that Taoism can no longer be restricted to just the philosophy because it has, for so long, incorporated other thoughts and ideals of other belief systems, especially Buddhism.

But still, on a personal level, for myself only, (although I know it does apply to others as well) I find Taoist philosophy totally adequate as a guide for living one's life as long as we apply the primary concepts according to the changing times and conditions.

Peace & Love!

Edited by Stigweard

:)

Hi ~jk~,

I just love the way some of y'all make such wonderful efforts toward leading me to expand my perspective of Taoism.

And I really do appreciate it. Really.

While this is true of today's Taoism, I can look to Chuang Tzu and find all the guidance I need regarding meditation. I find his to be the least ritualized form of meditation of any others I have read about.

Although I spent twenty years of my life defending 'my' nation and its way of life I truely am a cosmopolitan at heart. In my mind I can imagine a 'one world of people' governed by a republican form of government headed by a benevolent philospher/dictator. Yes, this would make it close to what China is experiencing today.

And I honestly see Taoism as an excellent base for the philosophy of that said dictator.

If you haven't already notice, I have a problem with religion. (The more laws a society has the more criminals there will be. The more sins a religion defines the more sinners there will be.)

And I realize that Taoism can no longer be restricted to just the philosophy because it has, for so long, incorporated other thoughts and ideals of other belief systems, especially Buddhism.

But still, on a personal level, for myself only, (although I know it does apply to others as well) I find Taoist philosophy totally adequate as a guide for living one's life as long as we apply the primary concepts according to the changing times and conditions.

Peace & Love!

What are the primary concepts?

Not a rhetorical question. I respect your thoughtfulness. I am zeroing in on my own concise definition of what those primary concepts are and how to define them. But, you first... :D

What are the primary concepts? Not a rhetorical question; I honor your thoughtfulness. I'm teasing out my own way of defining what those primary concepts are. But, you first!

Hi Blasto,

I'll be brief here but if you want to start a thread on the subject I am willing to go into more detail.

Primary: Observe nature (including people), understand the processes (including how people truely are when unrestricted) live my life in such a manner so that I do not cause conflict between myself and the processes of nature to such a degree that I put myself in harm's way.

The 'three treasures' are very important but should not be considered mandatory - appropriate action/reaction according to the conditions.

Maintain my inner peace and contentment.

Again, I think your question would make a nice thread (the practicality of Taoist philosophy as one's guide in today's world) or something like that.

Peace & Love!