joeblast

The Cool Picture Thread

2014-04-11-shy.jpg

Pretend that you’ve never seen this before and that it’s an actual living person whose personality you’re trying to read. If you look directly at her face, she seems to hesitate, but if you look near it, say beyond her at the landscape, and try to sense her mood, she smiles at you.

In studying this systematically, Harvard neurobiologist Margaret Livingstone found that “if you look at this painting so that your center of gaze falls on the background or her hands, Mona Lisa’s mouth — which is then seen by your peripheral, low-resolution, vision — appears much more cheerful than when you look directly at it, when it is seen by your fine-detail fovea.

“This explains its elusive quality — you literally can’t catch her smile by looking at it. Every time you look directly at her mouth, her smile disappears because your central vision does not perceive coarse image components very well. People don’t realize this because most of us are not aware of how we move our eyes around or that our peripheral vision is able to see some things better than our central vision. Mona Lisa smiles until you look at her mouth, and then her smile fades, like a dim star that disappears when you look directly at it.”

(From her book Vision and Art: The Biology of Seeing, 2002.)

When I went to the Louvre, I wasn't expecting much but the Mona Lisa was surprisingly captivating in person.

When I went to the Louvre, I wasn't expecting much but the Mona Lisa was surprisingly captivating in person.

You met her is person? WoW!

• Like 1

ever seen the other mona lisa, that was done by the student? same, but not quite, not close. the smile, it does not captivate like that of the master's work.

This tree is named "Angel Oak" and it looks bigger in person.

angel-oak-1.jpg

• Like 3

This tree is named "Angel Oak" and it looks bigger in person.

angel-oak-1.jpg

How does it change into a person ? :wacko: Do you have a pic of that? (Just going along with marbleheads Mona Lisa rib ;)

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 1

Ever see how a Transformer changes? Like that only different...

;)

• Like 1

1401739857000-marquette-ice.jpg

"To many area residents who suffered through one of the worst winters on record for the area, seeing the ice chunks on the lake every day is a continuing reminder of that wintry grip of Mother Nature, which still has yet to completely loosen," the paper noted on its website.

I watched that a couple weeks ago (again). At the end of the movie they show him screwing up the first try at doing that.

• Like 1

1401739857000-marquette-ice.jpg

"To many area residents who suffered through one of the worst winters on record for the area, seeing the ice chunks on the lake every day is a continuing reminder of that wintry grip of Mother Nature, which still has yet to completely loosen," the paper noted on its website.

Hard to believe it's still going on... I was just in Manistique, which is an hour south of Marquette and drove out in May during a full white out blizzard, figuring 'well this has to be the last one of the year'. All I can say is extreme. It's just so extreme this year.

• Like 2