That Guy

You are all delusional!

Here's the real question- if your time is too valuable to waste on cultivation or meditation, if it's better spent "out there doing something real", then why spend time on an internet forum trying to convince people that you know how they should spend their time? And all else aside- qi prana chakra meditate any nonsense you might wanna identify- do you think humility is real? Cause if you do, you need to find some dude. Telling someone else how to spend their personal time is ARROGANT. Take a look at the chip on your shoulder that's driven you to waste your time on a fruitless assault through a cowards means on peoples MEDITATION PRACTICE. You don't even have the balls to pick on a SPIRITUAL TYPE in person?? Let me tell you this- as a boxer who has used meditation to great effect to cool my nerves and triple my peak performance capacity in the ring, if you don't believe meditation is real, give me your address. I'll bring the gear. And when the bell rings, see if you can control your heart rate while I'm smiling inside and out and smacking the shit out of you at the same time.

Punk ass.

OMG! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Meditation aint helping you keep your cool much is it?

Dang dude! Meditate all you can please, even better turn Buddhist and love all living creatures, including me.

Erhmmm did you call me a punk ass or sign off as punk ass? :unsure: (just trying out that humility stuff)

Lol.

Hey That Guy, on another note, since we seem to be talking more about meditation than "chi stuff", isn't meditation pretty thoroughly studied scientifically?

Well either way, I have got to get to work.

Peace.

Goldisheavy

cant you say the same the other way around? You have some vivid fantasy and according to your belief you ll see it as something more than "mind wind"?

The difference is I believe is what can be proven not to be just mind wind but real.

The "other" way around? Yes, you can. The difference between us is this: do you believe there is only one correct validation framework, or do you believe there are many useful and viable alternatives? I believe in existence of alternatives. In my mind, the physicalist outlook is just one possible alternative. So what I experience is as much a vivid fantasy as what a scientist experiences, with this difference: I know I live in a fantasy world, and the scientist thinks his world is real. So the deluded one is not me, since I am wide awake and well alerted to the true nature of my own experience. But the scientist thinks he's studying "the real world" "out there", and that's a dangerous delusion.

Edited by goldisheavy

You trust your judgment on your life. Sure, makes sense. Except you don't realize how limiting your thought process is. You basically are acting like every teaching is the same, when really there is a huge variety of both type and quality of teaching. Did you ever learn directly from a master? And if he/she was a master were they REALLY a master? If not, then basically you are deluding yourself. You think you know what all this stuff is about and you haven't even done the fundamentals/basics => find a genuine master and do what they say!

If you have done the basics, and found (what you thought was) a real master, then I agree with you. If your practice feels like a waste, then it probably is. If you aren't getting anything out of it then stop doing it. Very sensible, and I agree. The important thing here is to be absolutely sure you were learning from a real master. If you weren't then once again you'd be deluding yourself, as you would be acting like you know what a real master could offer, even though you had never actually learned from one.

My teacher has changed my life profoundly.

Qi is real. If you're not experiencing it, find a better teacher. That's the short version, and not meant to be insulting.

All the Best,

Alex

I'm not breaking any rules. Of course.

I know what I feel is chi because it follows all the markers of what chi is. How do you know what you feel blowing outside is wind?

You know there was a time when they couldn't measure wind either. They didn't have the technology for it.

YOu're a cool guy alex, keep at t then, maybe I'll try a real master if I come across one that seems authentic to me.

And for the record the type of meditation m talking about is the type that will fill up you dantian, get your chi flowing and that type of stuff.

The type of meditation that simply keeps you calm is good, I agree! BUT i see it more as sitting still and relaxing, its good for you no doubt! sit in half lotus or sit back and relax on the couch are the same thing to me. I mean since when did relaxing, calming down and meditation become the exact same thing?

Ok first I trust science because it must be proven (yes not everywhere, but somethings we are not able to prove yet for many reasons). Science is about repeating an experiment and getting the same results, and based on these discoveries of how things work we can do and create great things.

Yes and one day this will be possible with stuff currently called "chi" IF enough people stop accusing others of being delusional and make a serious attempt to study it scientifically. As for repeatability, the efficiency of medical qigong has been proven by many studies in China. They were willing to put in the effort because they knew if it really worked it would be so much better to use it. Whereas here it would completely screw up the health care that is based on drugs and such. Also, there are more true masters to use as test subjects in China. So what? Qigong masters do this thing called "projecting chi" and it has been shown to be medically effective. But there is as of yet no causal/physical explanation of it. Should we just dismiss it? No! Research it like there is no tomorrow!

I'm glad masters of the past brought up the "mental wind" problem, however how can we know the master didnt have mental wind? He could be seeing chi as blue, then his student says "master master i saw chi, its green!" master says "sorry its blue, you have mental wind"

Getting into problems of perception gets into how does anyone know anything very quickly. Cultivate your own abilities, play and experiment, compare notes with others. The ancient Taoist were empirical. They didn't demand double blind studies with control groups, etc. but they were just as concerned with rigorous understanding of reality as you.

I want repeatable, authentic spirituality, its too all over the place, and has too many gaps. Its like a bad excuse, you know the person making it is lying cause theyre inconsistent and withhold important info

What is spirituality? What do you have in mind? What if it is impossible for it to be repeatable, if for no other reason than the human element of YOU have to PRACTICE it, and that is a really hard thing to do? Forgive me for presuming to advise you, but perhaps you need to examine your own definitions and motives.

Really, pick up a copy of Mysteries of the Life Force. It is not a bunch of "I heard this master blew up a village with his chi" stories. It is a personal memoir about a Westerner studying Qigong with a master. You will see how this master took precautions against mental wind by not even telling his student what he was doing and what to expect but just "projecting chi" to him while he lied on a table. And he opened his microcosmic and macrocosmic orbits etc. I guess he could just be a total liar, but I think you should read the book and see what you think. And like I said, there is no pressure to try to do anything with chi if you don't believe in it. But I dare you to learn to bring your mind to one pointed focus and feel the insides of your body and see what happens.

P.S. I obsessively studied theoretical physics and mathematics for 8 years, and I now find cultivation more fulfilling.

Again sorry to miss any points you make...

Lucky7Strikes, you are lucky, because I will reply more directly to you :lol:

Ah thank you!

Like I said before, no need for teaching your dangerous practice, just prove that its real, chi exists! You can cultivate it and use it! Even if the whole world seeks the master out he doesnt have to accept all the students!

We all know nuclear weapons exist, we havent all been taught how to make one, we dont have this kinda info or materials for it left lying around for all to use either.

Ah, so the whole world seeks the master out and he can just tell them to go away! :D . Yes they are not lying around everywhere for all to use for the reason I just wrote above.

I do not want to specifically get into the science aspect, it is really a tedious debate. You can do your own research into it. You will be very surprised as some of the things you find.

But your conception of "qi" seems to be off in general. It is usually considered a bio-electric energy, life force, or just the energy that makes your body function (I think some people even consider it ATP). The ancients just called it qi because they could manipulate and use their body's energies to transform it. Again all these explanations are debated because the use of this energy is what is emphasized in cultivation.

Its good they teach us about it though, so we can all know about them and what they re capable of.

Yeah I read kostas book, the story of liaou sifu (think that was his name) who took out a whole village with his chi, did more than any machine gun could thats for sure! But for that story to matter it would ave to be true. Show me! please! Show me something that proves such power is possible!

HAHAHHAHAHAHA. That is not what I meant at all. But go see John Chang if you want.

You know you remind me of this guy whose posts I read called "SeanDenty" I think it was, the guy was freakin awesome!! his stories were crazy cool yo! but well, thats just the problem, they were stories with nothing to back them up...

I haven't told you any crazy stories. <_< . Don't know what you're talking about.

Someone asked my intentions when trying this stuff, simply put it was to find out for myself. And I read and practised what I could find here and there, and some is body function info some lucid dreaming stuff, some meditation and whatever else i came across. none of it really benefited me though, it was more like yeah ok thats that then...

Find out what for yourself? That you can blast qi balls against machine guns? Lol. What did you practice? Tai Chi? Of course some of it is body function. I have no idea what you expected out of this and so I asked your intentions. Benefited in what way? What were you trying to improve?

I meditated and OBEd most consistently, until I just realised, well this really isnt going anywhere, I m wasting my time taking this seriously.

Your mind was filled with doubt when doing practices of the mind itself. And so you quit meditating. So you sat there going "ok, I will relax." And suddenly this thought arose "why the hell am I meditating?"

And follow that question up with "why the hell do I do anything"

And if you say happiness, ask "what makes me happy and is my happiness genuine?"

And if you don't know, go read some books. Then come back and meditate. Maybe you can blast qi balls. :D .

:) .

Edited by Lucky7Strikes

Heya That Guy,

:D

I am not at all surprised to see folks like longrhythm react in the way they have. Your opening comments:"So before you attack me, hear me out...." is more like "So before you attack me, let me attack you first"

Just as a polite suggestion I recommend you read:

Guidelines for Taoist-Buddhist Dialog

You have polarized yourself as the "one who knows" and we are the "ones who don't." This sort of self-opinioned stance is in contrast to the basic principles of effective dialogue and thus you have disadvantaged any hope of an effective dialogue from outset.

Just a thought.

Also, about all this "How do you know if it is really chi" stuff, YOU DON'T. Chi is a word describing certain experiences. How do you know you perceive the color blue the same way others do? It doesn't even matter if you perspective it as a distinct color! This is a problem of perception, which like I said leads to why is anything anything. Just train and see what happens if you want to, and if you don't then don't. But in the latter case you have no business raising a ruckus here.

The "other" way around? Yes, you can. The difference between us is this: do you believe there is only one correct validation framework, or do you believe there are many useful and viable alternatives? I believe in existence of alternatives. In my mind, the physicalist outlook is just one possible alternative. So what I experience is as much a vivid fantasy as what a scientist experiences, with this difference: I know I live in a fantasy world, and the scientist thinks his world is real. So the deluded one is not me, since I am wide awake and well alerted to the true nature of my own experience. But the scientist thinks he's studying "the real world" "out there", and that's a dangerous delusion.

What if the scientist is right?

You may ask what if he is wrong?

But the most important thing to me is that the scientist wont accept what he doesnt know for sure. hey do some things, but only because the smaller pieces of the puzzle the know for sure, shows them the larger picture.

I guess your perception is just tooo grey for me gold, because we all make mistakes, misinterpret things, imagine things etc. I like my info dry boring and reproducible

Heya That Guy,

I am not at all surprised to see folks like longrhythm react in the way they have. Your opening comments:"So before you attack me, hear me out...." is more like "So before you attack me, let me attack you first"

In my opinion, while there is some of that, we should let "That Guy" attack us. I definitely intend to let him attack me. What I want is That Guy being honest, and if politeness inhibits what he says, I don't want that. Obviously I don't want him to be too violent, but I accept some degree of verbal violence as part of That Guy's honesty and true character. Let him question us. If our beliefs and wisdom is worth even a single grain of salt, surely we can tolerate it? Of course we can. I know I can. Let the skeptics do what they will. If we try to impose overly restrictive conversational guidelines on people, we won't have a real conversation. We'll have a polite bullshit pretense that passes as a conversation, but we won't be touching our hearts together.

In my opinion, while there is some of that, we should let "That Guy" attack us. I definitely intend to let him attack me. What I want is That Guy being honest, and if politeness inhibits what he says, I don't want that. Obviously I don't want him to be too violent, but I accept some degree of verbal violence as part of That Guy's honesty and true character. Let him question us. If our beliefs and wisdom is worth even a single grain of salt, surely we can tolerate it? Of course we can. I know I can. Let the skeptics do what they will. If we try to impose overly restrictive conversational guidelines on people, we won't have a real conversation. We'll have a polite bullshit pretense that passes as a conversation, but we won't be touching our hearts together.

I agree with you GIH. I can even vouch that some of the verbal buffeting you and I have given each other has been beneficial ;)

What if the scientist is right?

To me it's not a question of "what if". "What if" is a valid question if there is only one right way to think, and then our belief frameworks are contenders for this one "right belief framework". Since I believe in multiple viable, useful, actionable alternatives, "what if" is just not the right question. Maybe a better question is not "What if the scientist is right?" But, "What if the scientist's belief framework is better, more interesting and leads to a better life?" Not that it's inherently right, but that it's more preferable to some other, say mine, framework.

You may ask what if he is wrong?

I may, but that's a cheap question. I prefer to elucidate if possible, especially if the conversational partner is genuinely curious. My goal is to enlighten rather than to pin you down into a logical corner and show my superiority. I believe my way of life is a good one, but not to the exclusion of other possibly good ways of life. I'm open to making improvements to my beliefs. I've changed some of my core beliefs since being born here in Earth, and I think it's possible I will change again. I don't change randomly though. I have a way of evaluating things, taking them for a spin, see if the results are good (and I have my own definition of what's good, btw, which is leaning to more personal empowerment and less toward empowering a convention of some kind).

But the most important thing to me is that the scientist wont accept what he doesnt know for sure. hey do some things, but only because the smaller pieces of the puzzle the know for sure, shows them the larger picture.

I guess your perception is just tooo grey for me gold, because we all make mistakes, misinterpret things, imagine things etc. I like my info dry boring and reproducible

I don't like black-or-white thinking myself. I think polarizing reality into "it's clearly this and obviously not that" is a narrow-minded and naive way of thinking.

I don't like to be bored. Don't want my life to be boring, and I think this does reflect on my informational field.

In my opinion, while there is some of that, we should let "That Guy" attack us.

Agreed. I have certainty though "Am I delusional" and I'm enjoying reading the well though out debate. That's also why I like GIH as while he can annoy me he always makes me think :D

I agree with you GIH. I can even vouch that some of the verbal buffeting you and I have given each other has been beneficial ;)

I appreciate your agreement Stig. :) I think I've benefited as well.

I'd rather waste my time meditating then waste it watching TV. Luckily I can do both. Same with science, getting into this esoteric stuff doesn't mean I close my mind. Quite the opposite, the good stuff has logic and personal experience behind it.

Delusional or totally sane is a hard call, to misquote a famous person 'Are we proud to be considered sane, in an insane world?'. Since its easy to throw delusional around, maybe its better to look at balance. Are we bums balanced?? Are we happy where we are? Are we ok?

I think so; most of us, most of the time. :) Doing strange practices, with esoteric beliefs we still have balance, and that is what matters-to me.

Michael

Ok this is it, cause I don't wanna be a troll!

Lucky7

I meant more on the secrecy side of things you reminded me of that guy, not that you told crazy stories, just my chain of thought as I typed, sorry

Stig

Thanks for the advice, but as gold said, no punches should be held back( get it longrhythm ;)), or else you re not being honest.

And besides longrhythm made my day! :lol: I just hope he doesn't end it :unsure:

Creation

Blue is a vibrations, even if you see it differently its there! chi well, you know where i stand on that one... I wanna see it! I wanna believe! But I cant just accept it out of the blue (get it ;) ) because i get a tingly feeling or something

I ll pick up the book if i get the chance, but like Kostas book, proposing all these revolutions and new ways of thinking which amount to nothing really....has he done anything to prove chi exists since his magus of java book came out? will chang sifu EVER change his mind on proving chi to the world?

I can try again sometime ifi have loads of free, my motives are a quest for the truth

Shooting fireball would be cool too though :lol:B)

Ok bye bye for now, but please feel free to keep discussing the topic if you wish to

I don't consider you to be a troll. I believe you are genuine and truly have this question on your mind. I hope you still feel welcome here.

Thanks guys for not thinking of me as a troll

And dont worry I still feel welcome, I mean longrhythm even wants to spar with me :D, but maybe its best to let this be.....for now :P

Ok this is it! Thanks guys, but for the record I m right ;) jk please dont beat me D;

Delusions can be fun, but they can also be harmful.

So before you attack me, hear me out....

So you have some free time, why waste it "cultivating" what ou can't even prove is real?

Why not sit down and educate yourself in something that matters like science and math?

Why no learn some new skills like painting and sculpting?

You sit there for hours at a time doing nothing/meditating. You learn nothing that way (obviously :lol:). Go out watch some TV do something fun at least sheesh! And yeah some enjoy meditating, well they ve had to condition themselves to enjoy it because otherwise no in their right mind would do it everyday for so long. Just for the record I consider relaxing and reflecting on your thoughts different from meditation since true meditation seems to require an empty mind, no thoughts.

Chakras....why not learn real medicine, learn about the real chakras, your organs! and stop trying to feel things that are there, but not in some mystical forrm you believe they are. Throw your heart at someone they'll feel it when it smacks them on the head, throw your "heart chakra" at them (if you can find it in the first place :lol:) and they ll feel nothing, because there is nothing there!

So much energy here is wasted in fairy tales it's kinda sad :(

I mean a kid has imaginary friends and experiences we have a laugh and tell them the truth, they imagining things. Now an adult has them and we can do anything, because its been labelled a spiritual or religious experience. Whats up with that?! :blink:

I also see so much "visualisation" type stuff that it makes me wonder how long one must visualise before they buy into their own fantasy! I dont need to visualise light to see it, sound to hear it, pain to feel it etc because they are real! If my dantian was reaal I would feel it, all I feel is my stomach rumbling :lol:

Can you seriously suggest that the majority of people are born lacking the ability to feel and see stuff like this? Are we born handicapped and need to "cultivate" in order to regain our full power? please!

Yes I know look at was some awesome masters can do, well they practice martial arts or do exercises that allow them to do these things, its more about conditioning their body rather than cultivating! I wanna see someone who cultivates their body without conditioning it do some crazy thing like a 1 finger pushup or whatever.

As for some of the masters seen doing mystical things on video, well if they ve done it for the camera why not do it one more time for some top and i mean TOP! scientists to see?!? Dont give me that "they wont listen to us" stuff because all they have to do is walk up to them, there is no need for the first meeting to be some kinda formal encounter. Just g to the top biologist and zap him with some bio energy, he ll make time for you then!

And yes monks dry wett cloth in really cold conditions etc, but thats because they ve mastered their bodies functions. We can all raise our bodies temperature for example, not at will but we can, go get a fever you ll see! No energy none sense needed!

This is getting long, so I should end it! The more I look into this stuff the more it seems like some kinda cult, it may not harm you, but lets just say you could be spending your time doing something better and being happier as a result, you may think you re happy thanks to this stuff, but you re just being happy because you re delusional.

I dont mean to offend any of you, and chances are I wont, because my words probably wont break through the barrier of delusions built over time. I hope you read the whole post, sorry its long...

Thank you for reading

I have been converted! Finally I have seen the light! Where do I sign up?

Ps. As head of the 'Non-Delusional Enlightenment System'ThatGuy I suggest you need to write up a manifesto, what are the rules, lots is better for me, and also before I become a disciple I'm gonna need to see you perform at least one non-miracle mundane type demonstration, proof positive of your non-divine status, otherwise I have no proof whatsoever that you might not secretly be Gods Direct Contact.

Edited by Ninpo-me-this-ninjutsu-me-that

I have been converted! Finally I have seen the light! Where do I sign up?

Ps. As head of the 'Non-Delusional Enlightenment System'ThatGuy I suggest you need to write up a manifesto, what are the rules, lots is better for me, and also before I become a disciple I'm gonna need to see you perform at least one non-miracle mundane type demonstration, proof positive of your non-divine status, otherwise I have no proof whatsoever that you might not secretly be Gods Direct Contact.

Further more I propose that you can't simply be called 'thatguy', all spiritual/non-spiritual leaders have a title or a special sounding name, and if we're really gonna be able to get converts to this 'Non-Delusional Enlightenment system' of yours we're gonna have to jazz up your name a bit, I propose Mr.ThatGuy. All those in favor say 'I'.

Has the OP ever tried meditation or anything he is criticizing before?

J/W..because if your going to approach something scientifically you should obviously know you need to test your hypothesis before you make a conclusion B)

Edited by Eviander

Lucky7

I meant more on the secrecy side of things you reminded me of that guy, not that you told crazy stories, just my chain of thought as I typed, sorry

I ll pick up the book if i get the chance, but like Kostas book, proposing all these revolutions and new ways of thinking which amount to nothing really....has he done anything to prove chi exists since his magus of java book came out? will chang sifu EVER change his mind on proving chi to the world?

It's not a secrecy. It's safety. For example, when Matak Chia came out with numerous books on cultivating sexual energy, some took a lop sided approach and damaged their bodies. On the other hand, others benefited tremendously from utilizing the sexual energy.

You want an actual proof from the scientific community to acknowledge "qi"? It will take many many years before that comes to fruition especially in the West (there is a tendency to ignore the Chinese studies). Moreover, "qi" and its phenomena are not even agreed upon by different practitioners and traditions. To acknowledge "qi" as defined by TCM would be to engage in its entire literature and philosophy and see how it fits into the model of Western science. This process is being continued by the Chinese (it it still very new), but for it to be studied, acknowledged, tested, written in textbooks and used by the West as an "official science" will take years.

You must also understand that there are countless things about the body and nature that Western science lacks knowledge of. For example, I was quite shocked to find out a few months back that scientists discovered the significant function of the spleen. Imagine that! We can send a satellite to space, but not know what the spleen does for the body!

If you want to wait until all these studies have been done and approved to genuinely practicing qi gong, go ahead. The mistake many new practitioners make is they approach with a very doubtful state if mind. This is a crucial detriment to practice when the mind is the most important aspect of any energetic practice. Another mistake they make is assuming quick and fast results. You must understand that cultivation alters you entire conception of the world. It changes your thought process and challenges your entire belief systems. This doesn't happen overnight. Worse, people expect to remain as they are and suddenly be able to shoot "qi" balls out of their hands! This "spectator" approach of "oh, I'll just try and see" is doomed to fail.

I suggest you begin cultivating under a practice that gives you very specific results and manifestations. Usually this requires finding a good teacher, but it can be done from books as well. For example, when you meditate you might notice your dan tien vibrating. Now you can look this up and see that this is a good sign of progress and have more certainty in your practice. Continue down this road and you will be amazed at how much the body and mind can be transformed.

It is very joyful to cultivate. The bliss is as much physical (not a simple "oh I feel good," but more like WHAT THE.....what is happening!) as mental. And really, it is the mentality that is of utmost importance. Look into accounts of qi gong, kundalini, chakras, etc. and believe in the experiences of the many genuine practitioners. And do it! :) . The Path to extinguishing such doubts is a path onto itself.

Good luck! :D .

Edited by Lucky7Strikes

Has the OP ever tried meditation or anything he is criticizing before?

J/W..because if your going to approach something scientifically you should obviously know you need to test your hypothesis before you make a conclusion B)

Eviander, you are a non-believer!!! The 'Non-Delusional Enlightenment System' requires years of practice, can you watch T.V for 5 hours straight? I think not, however my master Mr.ThatGuy has spent years performing such feets, I personally have witnessed this mundane feet and others I might add, the list too numerous to mention. Only just this morning I had a poo! And you can't get more mundane than that! This would not have been possible had I not studied diligently, before every time I had a poo I would be in raptures of ecstasies of divinities, but now, nothing! Not a thing! If that isn't proof positive that the 'Non-Delusional Enlightenment System' works I don't know what is.

Before attacking our religion the 'Non-Delusional Enlightenment System' I suggest you come to one of our meetings and see for yourself, and when you yourself witness our mundane practice I think you will agree we're onto something!

ps. Bring a six pack with you.

Anyone with a scientific background and a honest and humble attitude towards life will acknowledge that what they are seeing or knowing is very small part of life.

My background is chemical engineering. Everyday we try to model something that seemingly cannot be modeled correct - even then we try. I am honest and will testify that we are sometimes working with something that seems like magic.

You believe science is the best way to judge life but what happens when scientists themselves cannot explain everything, like where how was the universe created, what happened before the big bang?

Everyone is delusional because what they are seeing is an interpretation of the brain. Just think of 1000 years ago and you would laugh of what people believed in.

Science moves on all the time, everyday. Maybe you should try to open your mind more, be scientific about it and experiment with your own body?

Science cannot explain why light sometimes behaves as particles sometimes as waves - but you choose to judge science as superior to anything else.