dawei

TDB Upgrade Testing is Happening

FYI:

We're testing the next generation release, called IP4.

It is a major re-design in mostly the back-end but which means what the front end can do.

We'll update with some comments.   

Post on :)

• Like 1

I had the pleasure of seeing IPS4 several months ago and already anticipated some permission transfer issues.. like would the PPDs setup correctly and would we lose our ever-contentious 'owners permissions'   :)

The theme is important for the front end (Apech says his is all good)...  but there is quite a bit missing from the back-end and so support for add-ins and enhancements which were in place need to be looked at.

Just to be clear, from my point of view with a major software re-write which appears to create some serious issues in permissions and add-in support...  

I just want the theme and original use of PPDs to be working as expected.  

A shout out to and Daeluin for assistance. 

No, we're not going to do the reductionist view.  It is reasonable but the upgrade reduces us already :)

And no puppeteers are needed. 

MS and Wilfred are doing the good deed...  

And if anyone else wants a thankless job of moderation, we are looking for a few... WOMEN !!!   :)

Just an update...   We have been testing IPS4 and found two rather major issues in how they changed permission assignments.

One of them they admitted was intentional and another as a bug.

Our plan to see when they fix at least the one issue so we can test it.

A big part of upgrading would require Sean to skin the theme. 

There are no real timelines at this point but we're willing to go to the supported version if it can handle the permission setups we're after.

• Like 3

We're back to testing to V4 and a TDB skinned version this weekend.

This is a major permission upgrade which will break the "Owner's Permission".   The forum software has intentionally broken this kind of cross-permission sets of Local Moderators and Groups enjoyed by more than 10 years....  in testing, we also showed them another major bug issue too, they agreed that needed to be fixed.

So the bad news is... or dare I saw the good news... is that Owner's Permissions via an anarchist group will cease with the upgrade.   There is a way to do it but requires they actually fix the issue we passed along and then lots of work by me to effect it.

At some point, there will be a downtime to the site and we'll announce that.

• Like 5

We're back to testing to V4 and a TDB skinned version this weekend.

This is a major permission upgrade which will break the "Owner's Permission".   The forum software has intentionally broken this kind of cross-permission sets of Local Moderators and Groups enjoyed by more than 10 years....  in testing, we also showed them another major bug issue too, they agreed that needed to be fixed.

So the bad news is... or dare I saw the good news... is that Owner's Permissions via an anarchist group will cease with the upgrade.   There is a way to do it but requires they actually fix the issue we passed along and then lots of work by me to effect it.

At some point, there will be a downtime to the site and we'll announce that.

Will that affect the PPD's?  Will they still have control to hide and delete other members posts in them?  I hope so. 

• Like 2

Will that affect the PPD's?  Will they still have control to hide and delete other members posts in them?  I hope so. 

great question :)

That has been a hallmark of the site and what we sought to ensure in telling the software folks of their bugs, etc...   

My decision on this very problematic upgrade is that we keep the integrity of the PPD.... although would like to see other permission sets explored, it is not easy to implement.

Daeliun has been working with Sean and I don't oversee this alone...  So I look to other voices for comment on how to best and most efficiently proceed...  but it seems we keep the major permission changes simple...    

• Like 4

What is with the persistent SQL error? This must be the only site in the entire universe with this problem.

• Like 2

What is with the persistent SQL error? This must be the only site in the entire universe with this problem.

there has been a long belief that a certain member causes issues....  we have never been able to prove that.

We're going to a new server, upgraded php and latest version of ip.board. 

• Like 3

there has been a long belief that a certain member causes issues....  we have never been able to prove that.

We're going to a new server, upgraded php and latest version of ip.board. 

Is it Vladimir Putin?

• Like 7

Is it Vladimir Putin?

Putin just called.... and asked WTF is taking so long to upgrade  :D

• Like 4

Seems like Sean had a busy weekend. Waiting on instructions from him for the new server we'll need to upgrade to the latest iteration of v4. After that's setup, we should be good to launch. Will also be switching to all SSL with new server move.

Rooster year banner is all set for new site, which has a slightly larger banner image now.

• Like 9

New server up, phase one of migration successful, but still testing things out. There are extensive rebuild tasks that work in the background, which hit a snag and led to a support request opened. Also testing permissions.

v4 is a complete code rewrite, and this "upgrade" is about importing the old data into the new framework and then re-sculpting it to conform to how the new system operates.  The upgrade itself will run about ~2 hours, after which the site will be live, even though many background process will continue to run to fully process things like post style formatting. During the first 24 hours there may appear to be issues related to what these background tasks haven't processed yet. After everything is fully processed we'll see if there are any issues which still need a resolution.

Once the server upgrade testing is finished we'll post more about plans for upgrading the live version of the site.

• Like 8

<Geraldine>

The Devil Made Me Do It!

</Geraldine>

Edited by Brian
  • Like 3

Innocent until proven otherwise.

Avoiding innuendo is a good policy imho.

So its better to secretly hold people suspect in your mind , pretending you don't think so , and not give them the ability to defend themselves because you're keeping them fooled ? ;)

.. and then it must also be better to be wondering Exactly what I asked ,and fool everyone that they don't want to know... right :)  ( note to self - accusation is worse than actual dishonesty) 

Edited by Stosh

In my opinion.

Actions result in reactions.

Honesty is the best policy. 

As far as I care feel free do whatever you like with your suspicions.

Pretentions are never heathy.

If I suspected some one of something bad it wouldn't remain a secret very long.

I would discreetly bring up my suspicion with whom ever I suspected.

That discrete discussion would inform how I proceeded.

• Like 1

So its better to secretly hold people suspect in your mind , pretending you don't think so , and not give them the ability to defend themselves because you're keeping them fooled ? ;)

.. and then it must also be better to be wondering Exactly what I asked ,and fool everyone that they don't want to know... right :)( note to self - accusation is worse than actual dishonesty)

Not sure I've ever heard someone espouse that philosophy, Stosh. Help me understand what you are saying here -- would you be in favor of the police publishing the identity of everyone who pops up as a suspect in an investigation, or is this more at the personal level, like wanting anyone who suspects you of ill will or bad behavior to immediately confront you?
  • Like 1