dawei

Staff rotation

Just how long was Chang an admin? Before he was rotated out?

Seems like forever to me that he was greeting new comers. 

Almost forever.  He came in with the Mongols.  (That was after the Buddhists.)

• Like 6

Best advice I've heard is, state your truth and walk away. 

I go a little bit further than that on daobums and search the thread for the person that agrees with me and just leave a like.  If you wait long enough, someone will say everything you need to say for you.

• Like 2

Almost forever.  He came in with the Mongols.  (That was after the Buddhists.)

Ah i see, but that would make him over a thousand years old?

• Like 1

I have been working on adding another moderator and decided the easier thing to do was find someone who is asleep right now and tends to be very quiet on the board and seems to be able to keep his cool...

The obvious choice was Wilfred ...

Welcome our own, very cool Penguin man  :D

• Like 9

Looks to me like our Taoist Idiot has simply achieved the first milestone on his roadmap toward getting himself banned, that's all. He baited Michael until there was really no option but to take the action that was taken.

let's hope that is not the case. as far as being on a "roadmap to be banned"  

Fighting censorship by censoring others and censoring yourself....its genius.  Can't believe I didn't think of that myself.

Now if all the people that utilize the ignore function could just have the willpower to not click "show hidden post" anyways, but that's the hardest part...

true, however a mod cannot really put members on ignore when another member has made a report for mod review. i expect that this was the case, a report or reports were sent to the mods for review. then the mod or mods may feel the need to take action (or not)

3 days isnt such a bad sanction. i recently had one myself. i deserved it and really insisted on it myself at the time. i didnt think i had put myself on any roadmap to be banned,,, :(

shanlung is a member who i enjoy reading here on this forum. there are others that have been banned that i also enjoyed reading.....

it is a fine line to walk, a mod is not in any envious position imo. mods are necessary. a few years ago pre 2013; The Tao Bums were a bit smaller, especially regarding the amount of sections we had available, yet, the mod team had something like 6 or 7 members, i dont want to leave anyone out but steve, trunk, taomeow, cat, serene blue, k, apech,,,,all of which i admired as mods and continue to admire as members here. and some of those previous mods are now no longer posting here at all. 

being a mod here can take a personal toll on you. the key is not to take anything personal imo

the only member here in my estimation that has been in a tougher situation than any of our mods is, was new to this site and put in place as mod. a lone mod at one time even. and then as our first "admin"

luckily, we still have an active here on The Dao Bums.

thank you for not giving up on this place.

i think what i am trying to say is, we used to have a larger mod team. there is a lot going on on this site and while it is always best to have a membership that self moderates. there have been times when that approach worked really well and some times of course it didnt and thus mods are a necessity. 

i have heard the argument that having too many mods slows down the process of moderation, there can be behind the scenes hard debates between mods. it takes a toll sometimes. but the alternative of having too few mods as the better model? i think it is too much for a small team, 2 mods? i understand we do have admin that could step in and do step in, there has been situations where an admin chose to take action that was against what a unanimous mod team had decided on. which may have left some mods thinking, why even have mods? 

it is tricky to navigate perfectly, some rare members were always able to push the envelope and circumvent in place posted rules by using clever tactics. 

i realize i am rambling here  <_<

i would like to see another mod or two added to the team. this is useful when it is a mod involved in the fray directly, in that case that mod is able to step aside and let fellow mods deal with the situation. i am not second guessing our new mods action. i do feel he was put in a difficult situation that could have been avoided.

we have stewards in place for each section or at least that was the concept, do stewards have the ability to moderate on some level what occurs in their section? it was never made clear to me what a steward actually does? we have great members currently serving as stewards here. i trust their judgement as i trust our mods and admin.

at one time i was the lone mod under an admin. i understand some of the difficulties that go with that. 

whatever decision any mod takes or actions the mod team takes---there will always be opposition of that action expressed by some of our members. that is a good thing. these moderation logs help with the transparency ideal The Dao Bums strives for.

is admin open to adding another mod or two?

if so,

are there any members that would be interested in becoming part of the mod team?

• Like 4

I moved your thoughtful post here as it seems better to address it as part of the current rotation.

is admin open to adding another mod or two?

if so,

are there any members that would be interested in becoming part of the mod team?

Yes, I am looking for at least one more mod; two would be fine.  I very much prefer female members to help balance the approach but that has been a campaign I am losing... 

And Why I decided that the Steward group should get re-tooled a bit. 

Also, by going back to Stewards doing Welcome, the current mods have less responsibility then the prior team who did double duty in an excellent way.  

• Like 2

yes, i posted this before i read your steward re-tooling thread. the re-tool is encouraging. i agree that ideally adding a female or two to the mod team makes sense. i also recognize that a few of our former mods that no longer post here are female. 

The Dao Bums keeps on keeping on and it takes all of our efforts to continue this magical place.

^^

• Like 4

I don't know why but I'm getting strange images when I read 're-tooling' the Stewards.

• Like 2

I don't know why but I'm getting strange images when I read 're-tooling' the Stewards.

Something you'll understand... as an example:

MB will have modified Steward ability to access MCP.

Brian will have modified Steward ability to access ACP. 

Or I guess we could ban all Mo Pai and Buddhist discussion and maybe not even need mods anymore  :ph34r:

• Like 4

let's hope that is not the case. as far as being on a "roadmap to be banned"  

He wrote essentially that. I believe he's going to continue baiting until he catches something big. Just to prove a point, I guess.

marblehead?!?!

That would be the real "Mission Impossible".

Yeah, Brian and I will be working together, won't we Brian?

Or I guess we could ban all Mo Pai and Buddhist discussion and maybe not even need mods anymore  :ph34r:

NO!, NO!, NO!

I worked too hard making peace with our Buddhist members.  And I never had any fights with any Mo Pie Guys.

• Like 1

Yeah, Brian and I will be working together, won't we Brian?

Indeed.

• Like 1

It's not MoPai or Buddhism that's the problem, it's those individuals who don't have access to an authentic teacher* and who are instead searching for answers to their problems on the internet (as opposed to in-real-life) that are the issue.

This applies across the board and to "Taoists" as well (e.g. <without naming names :ph34r:> The Idiot Taoist)

As I continue to say, appropriate moderation (of those individuals) is the key.

* authentic teacher - being another key and an entire thread in its own right (because there's only One :) )

• Like 1

... and who are instead searching for answers to their problems on the internet (as opposed to in-real-life) that are the issue.

That is an important concept today.  Lots of people with lots of knowledge but unable to do a freakin' thing on their own.  Knowledge is useless unless it can be applied to make life more enjoyable.

• Like 2

there's only One :)

hey do you have PMs totally disabled or just me blocked? haha...got an important message I wanna send you but I don't wanna put it on blast

hey do you have PMs totally disabled or just me blocked? haha...got an important message I wanna send you but I don't wanna put it on blast

I wondered the same thing a couple weeks ago.