zerostao

traveling cloud

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 7655 posts
  • Interests:Nature, elixirs, trees, herbs,flowers, weeds, harmony
    Spiritual Taoism

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:48 AM

i feel that it could be a useful thing-if- the contributed articles section gave the originator of the article/thread in that section- the same level of controls that exist for the originator of the threads in the ppf section. basically being a mod of your own article thread just as anyone with a ppf is their own mod there.

i am a strong supporter of the contributed articles section as a distinct area of this forum.

this area is reserved for original work by our members,

i can see a few obvious pros and cons for this idea'

i am interested to hear any ideas that the bums have about this section.

i had this idea previous and didnt want to push it too hard-becoz- i didnt want to put extra work on an already over-worked engineer, but, now we have 2 technicians who could assist with this-IF- we did decide to tweak it.

• 三江源 said thanks for this
live like an immortal
i am a brother to dragons and a companion of owls
powered by aufheben

#2 rainbowvein

rainbowvein

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 5954 posts
  • Interests:Tao and Tai Chi

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:10 AM

Basically a publc ppf?

#3 Basher

Basher

Carbon Based Life Form of Mostly Water

• The Dao Bums+
  • 998 posts
  • Interests:Li T'ai Chi Ch'uan, Chi Kung, Tao Yin, Feng Shou Kung Fu, Taoism.
    Digital Photography, Nature, Reading, Eating Out, National Trust/English Heritage, Cinema (Movies), Driving, etc etc.

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:13 AM

Zerostao, I generally think it's a Good Idea, as several posters (like you / Deci) try to start informative type threads.

Which get de-railed by trolls, or decend into arguements, by those that don't agree.

The OP can argue as much as they like, but the reader has to read lots of "drivel" etc, before finding the useful nuggets of information alluded to in the title of the thread.

• cheya, zerostao, silent thunder and 1 other said thanks

#4 zerostao

zerostao

traveling cloud

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 7655 posts
  • Interests:Nature, elixirs, trees, herbs,flowers, weeds, harmony
    Spiritual Taoism

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:17 AM

Basically a publc ppf?

it would be in public view. but it would still be only for original articles from our members

and not a personal practice journal.

Zerostao, I generally think it's a Good Idea, as several posters (like you / Deci) try to start informative type threads.

Which get de-railed by trolls, or decend into arguements, by those that don't agree.

The OP can argue as much as they like, but the reader has to read lots of "drivel" etc, before finding the useful nuggets of information alluded to in the title of the thread.

nicely said

live like an immortal
i am a brother to dragons and a companion of owls
powered by aufheben

#5 joeblast

joeblast

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 8329 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:31 AM

I think it is a good idea

• 三江源 and Brian said thanks for this

#6 BaguaKicksAss

BaguaKicksAss

daily, it kicks my behind daily

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 8641 posts
  • Interests:"Lao Zi said: Great people are peaceful and have no longings; they are calm and have no worries. They make the sky their canopy and the earth their car; they make the four seasons their horses and make dark & light their drives. They travel where there is no road, roam where there is no weariness, depart through no gate".
    老子曰:大丈夫恬然無思,澹然無慮,以天為蓋,以地為車,以四時為馬,以陰陽為禦,行乎無路,遊乎無怠,出乎無門。
    - from Wen Zi (Tongxuan Zhenjing) 《通玄真经》, 5th century BC

Posted 25 September 2013 - 06:49 AM

The setup would look similar to PFFs, each person would have to have their own forum for them to actually be able to mod it.  Well or we could just make each person who writes an artical a mod of the articles section, having like 20 mods for that section...

"Lao Zi said: Great people are peaceful and have no longings; they are calm and have no worries. They make the sky their canopy and the earth their car; they make the four seasons their horses and make dark & light their drives. They travel where there is no road, roam where there is no weariness, depart through no gate".
老子曰:大丈夫恬然無思,澹然無慮,以天為蓋,以地為車,以四時為馬,以陰陽為禦,行乎無路,遊乎無怠,出乎無門。
- from Wen Zi (Tongxuan Zhenjing) 《通玄真经》, 5th century BC

#7 Basher

Basher

Carbon Based Life Form of Mostly Water

• The Dao Bums+
  • 998 posts
  • Interests:Li T'ai Chi Ch'uan, Chi Kung, Tao Yin, Feng Shou Kung Fu, Taoism.
    Digital Photography, Nature, Reading, Eating Out, National Trust/English Heritage, Cinema (Movies), Driving, etc etc.

Posted 25 September 2013 - 07:32 AM

Hi BKA,

wouldn't the 20 mods then have the ability to "edit" each others threads ?

:(

• BaguaKicksAss said thanks for this

#8 Apech

Apech

Ghost Cat

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 11193 posts
  • Interests:Ancient Egypt, Hermeticism, Meditation, Buddhism other stuff

Posted 25 September 2013 - 07:44 AM

Good idea assuming its thread specific in terms of modding.  I would like the mods to insist that the articles are actually original work and not links and quotes from others - which should be moved to general. 

• 三江源, zerostao, Basher and 2 others said thanks

"Over himself, over his own body and mind, the individual is sovereign."  J. S. Mill

#9 joeblast

joeblast

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 8329 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 07:52 AM

The setup would look similar to PFFs, each person would have to have their own forum for them to actually be able to mod it.  Well or we could just make each person who writes an artical a mod of the articles section, having like 20 mods for that section...

is it possible to make the contributed articles section display everything?

as in, create subforums for users, but, have each article posted in the subforum generate a link in the overarching contributed articles section?  (trying to get 2 birds one stone...)

#10 Jeff

Jeff

Focused on the moment

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 3128 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:02 AM

If there is no ability to openly discuss the contributed article, why not just have the person put it in their ppf?

Contributed articles gives an implied statement of greater "stature" on a topic. If the author only allows positive comments, how would the uninformed reader have a basis for understanding?

Regards,

Jeff

No worries... I am only speaking on my own authority.

#11 Apech

Apech

Ghost Cat

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 11193 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:12 AM

If there is no ability to openly discuss the contributed article, why not just have the person put it in their ppf?

Contributed articles gives an implied statement of greater "stature" on a topic. If the author only allows positive comments, how would the uninformed reader have a basis for understanding?

Regards,

Jeff

Its not so much negative/positive comments but I think its ok and perhaps more respectful to restrict comments to comments about the original article and not people raising their own obsessions or whatever.  After all we have general, off topic and the pit (for that sort of thing).

• zerostao and Basher said thanks for this

"Over himself, over his own body and mind, the individual is sovereign."  J. S. Mill

#12 joeblast

joeblast

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 8329 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:12 AM

PPFs are not open to the public, and that's part of the request here.  But not to open all PPFs to the public...just kicking around ideas.  The jist of this is to cut down on trolling in topics sensitive to such, so that productive discussion can take place as opposed to joking banter on it that isnt much on topic.

• zerostao and Basher said thanks for this

#13 Jeff

Jeff

Focused on the moment

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 3128 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:24 AM

Its not so much negative/positive comments but I think its ok and perhaps more respectful to restrict comments to comments about the original article and not people raising their own obsessions or whatever.  After all we have general, off topic and the pit (for that sort of thing).

If the author was controlling it, would they allow dissent of their opinion (even if it was on point). I believe that there are many who would not.

PPFs are not open to the public, and that's part of the request here.  But not to open all PPFs to the public...just kicking around ideas.  The jist of this is to cut down on trolling in topics sensitive to such, so that productive discussion can take place as opposed to joking banter on it that isnt much on topic.

I agree that needless chatter (and heckling) is annoying for the author and the serious reader, but some would consider a counter argument as needless chatter. :)

• thelerner and rainbowvein said thanks for this
No worries... I am only speaking on my own authority.

#14 rainbowvein

rainbowvein

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 5954 posts
  • Interests:Tao and Tai Chi

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:26 AM

Well then, OPs can request that mods edit/remove off-topic posts/comments. Simple as that. :)

• Jeff said thanks for this

#15 joeblast

joeblast

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 8329 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:31 AM

If the author was controlling it, would they allow dissent of their opinion (even if it was on point). I believe that there are many who would not.

I agree that needless chatter (and heckling) is annoying for the author and the serious reader, but some would consider a counter argument as needless chatter. :)

For me, what it boils down to, is this:  Can the author of a dissenting opinion articulate his dissenting opinion, or is the dissent just going to wind up being a poo-poo'ing of the OP with no real counter argument...and when the counter is addressed, are they just going to keep taking up space in the thread saying basically the same thing over and over again?

This is the sort of thing that we're trying to remedy with this.  A well articulated dissent can be a great motivator of the conversation and often prompts very good clarifications of the introduced premises.  A poorly articulated dissent merely looks like trolling.

• Flolfolil and gatito said thanks for this

#16 Apech

Apech

Ghost Cat

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 11193 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:40 AM

I still see an article submitted by a member - which presumably they have spent time and energy creating and want to share with others and specifically place in the articles section has a different status to a general post.  But maybe that's just my view and so I will rest there (knowing I am and always will be right :) :) :) ).

• zerostao, Basher and BaguaKicksAss said thanks for this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users