• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Aaron

Aaron

Hidden in the mist

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 2869 posts
  • Interests:Poetry, music, art, and history.

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:31 PM

[Note- Although posted in the Taoist Discussions section of this forum, this thread is intended to be a chapter study of Chapter one of the Hua Hu Ching. With that in mind please restrict your responses to the chapter at hand. Any discussions regarding the validity, origins, or intent of the Hua Hu Ching should be directed to another thread and not this one. I welcome everyone to participate. Questions are welcome, as well as answers. Please follow the FAQ rules located in the Tao Te Ching subforum (changing Tao Te Ching to Hua Hu Ching where needed).]

Hua Hu Ching
Chapter One

I reach the Integral Way of uniting with the great and mysterious Tao. My teachings are simple; if you try to make a religion or science of them, they will elude you. Profound yet plain, they contain the entire truth of the universe. Those who wish to know the whole truth take joy in doing the work and service that comes to them. Having completed it, they take joy in cleansing and feeding themselves. Having cared for others and for themselves, they then turn to the master for instruction. This simple path leads to peace, virtue, and abundance.

Translated by Brian Browne Walker
http://brianbrownewa...m/hua-hu-ching/

Edited by Aaron, 02 January 2013 - 01:48 PM.

Aaron

#2 Marblehead

Marblehead

The Wondering Taoist

• Steward+
  • Pip
  • 35516 posts
  • Interests:Short Skirts and Bikinis

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:07 PM

Good advice, IMO.

I reserve the right to be wrong.

YIN-YANG.jpg I reserve the right to change my mind. Anarchy4.jpg

Peace & Contentment!

#3 Mal

Mal

supererogate

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 6415 posts
  • Interests:Tai Chi & Tong Long

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:48 PM

To “know” simply take joy in doing your work and looking after your bodies needs.
With that done ask your teacher what to do next :)
  • Marblehead and Vanir Thunder Dojo Tan said thanks for this
KAP

bye for now
Mal - artmgs@yahoo.com
You are not what you think you are. But what you think... you are.
"Don't think.....feel" Bruce Lee | "Feel.....don't think" Qui-Gon Jinn

#4 Marblehead

Marblehead

The Wondering Taoist

• Steward+
  • Pip
  • 35516 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:40 AM

To “know” simply take joy in doing your work and looking after your bodies needs.
With that done ask your teacher what to do next :)

(Yeah, but I never had much faith in my teachers. I mostly did my own thing.)

Peace & Contentment!

#5 manitou

manitou

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 4209 posts
  • Interests:Living without the chattering

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:45 AM

Just using the concept of the Integral Way is very telling in itself. This would be another description of The Middle Way, the golden mean - finding balance in all things seen and unseen. One dynamic of The Way in and of itself is not complete - it must be aligned with acceptance of All That Is, combined with the understanding that we, too, are That.

As The Way has no rules per se, it would be akin to hearding cats to try and compress it into a specific religion. Specific 'religious' practices may aid one to the experiences required for understanding, but religion in and of itself is not the end result. the end result is to master this thing we call Life - to find the most pragmatic way of merging physical phenomena with the dynamics of the rules of spirit, those dynamics we know are there.

What a simple and wonderful concept: to take joy in doing the work and service that comes to us. this thought alone should take much anxiety out of our lives. It is saying, that in essence, there is nothing for us to "do".....we need be concerned only for that which is coming down the pike. the years of fine-tuning that we do within our own characters is one of the integral components that makes this all work - if we are not being led by ego (if we've done our homework and tamed it so that we can see clearly), our lives and our attitudes become aligned with what's going on around us; because at some point, we realize that we are the Tao. As above, so below. This is why the Tao (and the fruits of our previous self-purging actions) manifests even within the minutae of our daily lives - like the concept of micro / macro, our bodies being the physical manifestation, on a micro level, of that great macro entity of the universe and the totality of the Tao.

At some point, if we are impeccable with our thoughts and actions, Life becomes the Master. Every single person is our teacher, as they are a reflection of ourselves. We get to the point where we are no longer at the mercy of our monkey-minds; we become the master of what we wish our attitudes to be because we've tamed our thinking mechanism. It's for this reason that 'this simple path leads to peace, virtue, and abundance.' Although the concept of 'abundance' means something different to me now than it did some years back.
  • mYTHmAKER, Mal and spiraltao said thanks for this

Joy is the Dao.

-The mysterious dancer in the black cowboy hat-

#6 ChiDragon

ChiDragon

無為道人

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 7466 posts
  • Interests:A Semi-Taoist, understand Chinese fluently, who practiced Tai Chi and Chi Kung with noticeable significant results. Especially, interested in acupressure and had performed on myself and wife to cure minor body pains. Study the true meanings of the Tao Te Ching by doing its translation into English.

Interested in finding and demystify ancient ambiguous ineffable concepts in correlation with modern scientific knowledge.

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:25 AM

Hi, folks.....

Before we go too far, let me clarify that the 化胡经(Hua Hu Ching) is a fairy tale written by the Tao Cult. It was praised that Loa Tze as the supreme deity in the Taoist religion. 化胡经(Hua Hu Ching) does not reflect nor represent the principles in the Tao Te Ching because it was only a fairy tale.

Edited by ChiDragon, 03 January 2013 - 10:26 AM.

靜觀其變 以靜制動
Beware of the unexpected silently
Handle adversity with calmness

Posted Image

#7 Marblehead

Marblehead

The Wondering Taoist

• Steward+
  • Pip
  • 35516 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:41 AM

Hi, folks.....

Before we go too far, let me clarify that the 化胡经(Hua Hu Ching) is a fairy tale written by the Tao Cult. It was praised that Loa Tze as the supreme deity in the Taoist religion. 化胡经(Hua Hu Ching) does not reflect nor represent the principles in the Tao Te Ching because it was only a fairy tale.

But even fairy tales are a part of Tao. Hehehe. You did good reminding us. Now be nice and play with us.

Peace & Contentment!

#8 ChiDragon

ChiDragon

無為道人

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 7466 posts
  • Interests:A Semi-Taoist, understand Chinese fluently, who practiced Tai Chi and Chi Kung with noticeable significant results. Especially, interested in acupressure and had performed on myself and wife to cure minor body pains. Study the true meanings of the Tao Te Ching by doing its translation into English.

Interested in finding and demystify ancient ambiguous ineffable concepts in correlation with modern scientific knowledge.

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:57 PM

Now be nice and play with us.

I will, only if you play it right.......:)
靜觀其變 以靜制動

Posted Image

#9 thelerner

thelerner

Been here long enough to know better

• Concierge
  • Pip
  • 9680 posts
  • Interests:Getting Closer to Fine
    W/out going too Crazy

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:35 PM

But even fairy tales are a part of Tao. Hehehe. You did good reminding us. Now be nice and play with us.

Also let us keep in mind (and respect??) rule of post # 1 this thread is intended to be a chapter study of Chapter one of the Hua Hu Ching. With that in mind please restrict your responses to the chapter at hand. Any discussions regarding the validity, origins, or intent of the Hua Hu Ching should be directed to another thread and not this one.

While my views are similar to Chi Dragons, there is some good philosophy in the Hua Hu Ching and I look forward to the discussion of them.

Edited by thelerner, 03 January 2013 - 06:14 PM.

• spiraltao said thanks for this
Push hard to get better, become smarter, grow your devotion to the truth, fuel your commitment to beauty, refine your emotional intelligence, hone your dreams, negotiate with your shadow, cure your ignorance, shed your pettiness, heighten your drive to look for the best in people, and soften your heart. A creed from Pronoia

Where we have stopped dancing, singing, being enchanted by stories, or finding comfort in silence is where we have experience the loss of soul. Dancing, singing, storytelling, and silence are the four universal healing salves. ~ Gabrielle Roth

#10 Mal

Mal

supererogate

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 6415 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:29 PM

As The Way has no rules per se, it would be akin to hearding cats to try and compress it into a specific religion. Specific 'religious' practices may aid one to the experiences required for understanding, but religion in and of itself is not the end result. the end result is to master this thing we call Life - to find the most pragmatic way of merging physical phenomena with the dynamics of the rules of spirit, those dynamics we know are there.

Lovely :)

And it's not a "science" either (which if often used as the balancing duality to religion) We do not need to investigate, understand, label, and quantify practices.
It’s the “doing” that’s important.

Personally I always tried to teach myself … yet it was with the guidance of teachers where I have made greatest progress.
KAP

bye for now
Mal - artmgs@yahoo.com

#11 manitou

manitou

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 4209 posts
  • Interests:Living without the chattering

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:30 PM

Hi, folks.....

I guess you can see it wherever you want to see it... :unsure:

Joy is the Dao.

-The mysterious dancer in the black cowboy hat-

#12 ChiDragon

ChiDragon

無為道人

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 7466 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:10 PM

I guess you can see it wherever you want to see it... :unsure:

It is not the case. I don't want to see what I want to see. I want to see what it says for what it is.
靜觀其變 以靜制動

Posted Image

#13 spiraltao

spiraltao

Happy Day

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 812 posts
  • Interests:learning to feel the tao within

BAGUAZHANG QIGONG anything to keep the hands alive and the heart open.

LIVING PROOF OF QIGONG RIGHT HERE!

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:25 PM

edit.

Edited by spiraltao, 03 January 2013 - 05:42 PM.

Absorb what is useful/Reject What is USELESS

Do good things for people and be humble.

"If you pray, do not pray for wealth, health or other bullshits, pray for luckys!"-Dr-Ng

#14 Aaron

Aaron

Hidden in the mist

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 2869 posts
  • Interests:Poetry, music, art, and history.

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:26 PM

Chidragon... this debate should end here. This isn't the place for this discussion. If you want to discuss this further take it elsewhere, otherwise I'll ask for moderator action. This is a discussion about the meaning of Chapter One of the Hua Hu Ching, not the place for you to express your notions of veracity or authenticity. This is also the reason why we should have a subforum for Taoists Texts and Studies, so these kinds of off-topic discussions don't occur. I had hoped people would read the original post and respect my requests for an on-topic discussion. Seriously, I'm very disappointed. Please don't reply to this post, send me a personal message. This topic has been taken off-topic enough as it is.

Aaron

Edited by Aaron, 03 January 2013 - 05:29 PM.

Aaron

#15 dawei

dawei

Dao Bum

• Admin
  • Pip
  • 8170 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:28 PM

I'll want to join in too when I have time. I have the daoist master Hui-Ching Ni's translation and will post in a new thread his "Introduction" as it is a rather interesting read.

#16 Mal

Mal

supererogate

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 6415 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:44 PM

Thanks dawei, I look forward to reading that.
KAP

bye for now
Mal - artmgs@yahoo.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users