Aaron

[HHC Study] Hua Hu Ching Chapter 1

Taoism says… See essence on your own then seek a teacher.

I'm so glad you figured out you didn't need to ask anyone permission to go ahead and just do your project, dear.❤

Well it's nice to see that both are quite similar, just a few variations in the translations. Ni's sounds more like a autobiography, sort of like the book of John, whereas Walker's seems more like Psalms. Is that how you would view it?

I like how Ni's is more like a story. As Mal said [somewhere], sounds a little more like Liao's Nine Nights (The DDJ told in a story).

Here is what one reviewer at Amazon said:

There's another "translation" by Brian Walker that changes the genre, eliminates more than half of the text, and makes it look like "Tao Te Ching Part II." I have no idea why Walker thought this was OK. Hua-Ching Ni, who translated this version, writes wonderfully clear and direct English and is also heir to a long tradition of Taoist teachers. You can tell how well he understands this material because he makes it clear, rather than "wonderfully mystical and magical" which I think was Walker's goal. These New Age people want it all to be mystifying and foggy. Ni's translation of the Tao Te Ching is also the best I've come across.

This is not meant to be a criticism... I know that is in the other thread :)

I am happy to discuss Walker's version and mention some stuff from Ni's where I can. I think truth can come in many forms, many translators, many places we may not expect.

Edited by dawei
  • Like 1

It's like it says somewhere in the TTC - the good man becomes the teacher for the bad(?); the bad man becomes the teacher for the good. Or words to that effect.

I think Life is the Master itself. Each and every day, every situation. Are we acting or reacting? Could it be said more kindly? Are we refraining from judgment, knowing that each and every person we meet is the other half of us? Are we taking things personally, or dwelling in self pity or victimization? Are we harboring hatred or resentment? Are we keeping score on anyone or in a relationship?

There's a million ways we can sabotage all the good training and reading. It's by tracking our own selves that we gain the 3 dimensionality that we're seeking. We tap into a type of cosmic alignment and it promotes our cosmic vision.

• Like 1

There once was a great white-bearded master who appeared at the boundary of the Central Territory on his journey west. Followers came from everywhere to sit at his feet, for he was a model of universal harmony. His teaching was simple, yet profound. His instruction was neither ordinary religion nor worldly wisdom, yet it revealed the truth of every aspect of the universe. All of his friends and followers lived virtuously and performed whatever work came to them joyfully. They maintained a peaceful, righteous way of life and enjoyed the abundance of their being. After their daily word was completed, they cleansed themselves carefully and fed themselves properly. Then they went to the garden where the old master stayed and awaited his precious instruction.

Ni's HHC 1

I was previously unaware of this book's existence and teachings. I will very much enjoy reading these threads on the HHC.

A great poetry book I found recently is "Collected Songs of Cold Mountain"

On 1/5/2013 at 10:58 AM, manitou said:

I don't think it matters that much, actually. If the words of anyone are the true Tao, they will resonate.

If the words resonate with me, I investigate further but this does not necessarily mean that words that don't resonate are not true Tao. It may simply mean that I don't understand, and I can cite many instances in my life where the words didn't resonate at first but, at some point in my life, I finally recognized as Truth. The words hadn't changed ...... but I had. :)

I am a new member here, and I am so glad to find this thread. It inspired me to take out my Hua Hu Ching book (translated by Brian Walker), which I started reading on March 19th 2010, and to review the notes that I made in the book while reading the comments on this thread.

I had underlined practically the whole chapter (:)) and it's great to re-read it. This chapter resonated completely with me.

I particularly liked: "Those who wish to know the whole truth take joy in doing the work and service that comes to them". I am a firm believer of staying in the moment and not missing opportunities to learn via whatever "comes to them" naturally. I've discovered that, when one is mindful and follows one's pure intuition, one naturally and effortlessly comes in contact with whatever is in the best interests of all in any given moment.

• Like 3