Sign in to follow this  
Thunder_Gooch

I want to spend the rest of my life meditating and training in neikung

Even though India doesn't really have any advanced masters in the area's I am specifically looking for, you guys may be right about the culture.

've got a little challenge for you, go up to a jerk ass cop that harasses the shit out of people and speak your mind. Tell him he is a fascist nazi pig, and deserves to have the shit beat out of him. See how far being openly yourself gets you. I don't think you could believe your way out of that one.

ROTFL :lol:

You have gotten many suggestions, criticisms, analysis, etc. but in the end, (for one more opinion)do what you want to do, just try to make decisions from the stillness and Light of your true self and not from your emotional, filter-added imprinted mind. Then each and every decision would be what you need at any given now.

Even though India doesn't really have any advanced masters in the area's I am specifically looking for, you guys may be right about the culture.

Why have you decided specifically on neigong? What kind of foundation have you cultivated up to this point?

I'm not asking to dissuade you, but there's a lot of confusion about neigong, and if what you're really interested in liberation, there may be other systems that are more accessible.

Hi More Pie,

I know how you feel about wanting to leave the petty world behind and work towards something meaningful before our lives inevitabley run out. It seems unfair that this ideal isn't supported by those in charge. But then if we look at the profiteering gluttons who are really in charge you can see why.

What type of spiritual "area" are you interested in? I hope you are aware that the popular systems on this forum (nei kung etc) that you previously described originally came from Indian Yoga, and not Chinese Taoism as is mistakenly thought by most. Though Chinese taoism has retained and sometimes evolved the art somewhat. You can see proof of this for example in the Hatha (Sun and Moon) systems of yoga, look at the postures, breathing techniques etc. I do mean the original Hatha, not the modern hippy mainstream you see on every street corner today. India has many great masters, but they are not going to advertise themselves.

Anyway, what is your end game? Do you want to become liberated and leave? What about the rest of us who are suffering? I'm a strong believer in becoming liberated regardless of the personal situation you are in, then using your fortunate circumstance to help others attain the same goal. Be thankful you weren't born as someone starving in the street who has never had the chance of hearing about liberation. Most of us have only heard of liberation through the efforts of generous enlightened beings like the Buddha.

Return the favour, stay in society against all odds, become enlightened through your efforts (its not all just meditation) and pass those teachings to others. There are many of us who want to be liberated too, we aren't all just cattle in the herd.

Edited by Jakara

Why have you decided specifically on neigong? What kind of foundation have you cultivated up to this point?

I'm not asking to dissuade you, but there's a lot of confusion about neigong, and if what you're really interested in liberation, there may be other systems that are more accessible.

I haven't seen any other systems validated. Perhaps as time goes on, technology expands, and humans grow more interconnected and more ancient knowledge is made available other systems will be validated. At the moment I'm fine where I am. Thanks.

Your Tao is your Tao. I hope your find it and it brings peace to your spirit.

Tao Bless you

To everyone with actual advice, Thank You.

To everyone with criticism for my views on humanity, your thoughts have been noted.

To goldisheavy,

I don't think brutal honestly would seriously allow me to accomplish my goals and only stand hinder them. Losing a job isn't going to help matters. I need a place to shower and wash my cloths and cook my food, in order to maintain a job. Also being brutally honest about my world and religious views e.g. the world we live in is an illusion, or the idea of self is an illusion all identities and therefor people are illusory etc would most likely wind me up in a mental institution for some sort of dissociative disorder even those are valid Buddhist concepts. Even though institutionalization might have some perks, having my neurons fried out with neurotoxic chemicals and violent electroshock therapy would most likely end any chances of liberation this life-cycle.

This whole existence is a giant game, those that don't play by the rules set forth by this society are violently punished, and swept under the rug to keep them out of the site of other people. People caught in this illusion have a vested interest in maintaining it.

So I have a role to play here if I want to maintain some degree of freedom. I have to pretend to be a normal person, I have to look and act respectable to maintain employment, I have to chum it up with my roomates and help them with their daily drama. I don't really see an alternative, unless I were to inherit some large sum of money or win the lottery.

Sure being myself, and being honest might feel good and be liberating in a psychological sense, it would (or so I believe) have the opposite effect in a spiritual and real world sense.

wudang,

Maybe you could watch the original planet of the apes and that movie idiocracy each about ten times, then go to sleep. Maybe you would dream a dream of being trapped in a society of ignorant shit flinging apes, and being dependent upon their society for survival. Every day pretending to be one of them, but in your heart knowing your not.

I don't really know if china could offer me anything I don't already have. There society seems worse in terms of personal freedom than ours. I am sure they might have some great masters there, but I have no idea how to find and test them, if I did find one I deemed advanced enough, he would have no obligation to teach me.

My biggest complaint about car living, was when I experienced a breakdown for more than a day I was homeless. The cost of car repair and maintenance, and rental fees still is very expensive.

Also having to keep a gym membership to shower, and eating mostly canned foods, run ins with police asking why I am parked in some rural isolated dirt road, police harassment in general, all take their toll on a person.

I decided in the end it was less of a hassle to live with other people and have a place to shower, wash clothes, refrigerate and cook food, than it was to live in my car.

Meditation starts with learning basic breathing, and it is a good idea to approach it without expectations. You can watch your breath all day, while working, walking - just be aware. It will hold a light meditation but you'll still need to have sit down, have 20-30 minute uninterrupted sessions.

It is possible to set up and attune crystals to yourself. Placing them on a picture of yourself and giving them specific programming can give you a constant source of energy. Especially if you decide to switch your attention to them when you need a larger boost.

If you learn Reiki its possible to flow it downward out your feet to help you ground while you walk, or once you learn to move energy internally you can work on moving it through your body while attempting everyday activities.

When sitting down you can take a short break to "stand up" with your awarness and look around corners of the room or behind closed doors. If your good at multitasking you can work and do it at the sery time.

Anyway it is very easy once you have a few ideas.

The most simple one is to take a single breathing practice and try and continue it all day. Or to hold your awareness at the 3rd eye or naval chakra all day with as few interruptions as possible. Remember that it is not concentration, it is a light awareness tat allows you to react t what is happening around you while keeping this awareness of those areas.

The possibilities are endless, and you don't even need to live out of a car. :)

Edited by Mokona

I haven't seen any other systems validated. Perhaps as time goes on, technology expands, and humans grow more interconnected and more ancient knowledge is made available other systems will be validated. At the moment I'm fine where I am. Thanks.

What do you mean by validated? Validated by a book? By a teacher? By personal experience?

Do you have the foundation of a strong, energetically sound body and mind? Do you have a teacher?

If you don't other opportunities may present themselves, and if you're not inflexible, you'll be able to take advantage of them. Other techniques in Qigong, Taiji, Yoga, and meditation can help you build a foundation which will later prove essential for neidan inner alchemy.

What is your goal? Are you motivated by dissatisfaction or passion?

What do you mean by validated? Validated by a book? By a teacher? By personal experience?

Do you have the foundation of a strong, energetically sound body and mind? Do you have a teacher?

If you don't other opportunities may present themselves, and if you're not inflexible, you'll be able to take advantage of them. Other techniques in Qigong, Taiji, Yoga, and meditation can help you build a foundation which will later prove essential for neidan inner alchemy.

What is your goal? Are you motivated by dissatisfaction or passion?

My goal is stopping the death and rebirth cycle. I am motivated by dissatisfaction.

I have a strong physical frame, physically fit aerobically. I have no physical health issues. I cannot sit in full lotus, only half lotus. I have stopped training my legs and stretch daily before meditation for a few minutes, hopefully withing a few years sitting in full lotus will be possible.

I have a mental issue, but have an otherwise sound mind. I have recurring hypnagogic hallucinations of being paralyzed and having cold hands reach into my dantein, this is a common occurrence nightly usually. I have not decided if it is a recurring observation or a hallucination, in either case it seems mostly harmless and unavoidable. I am not willing to consider medication for this issue.

I have three masters at the moment. I can't discuss this issue more however.

This newage hippy spiritual scene is filled mostly with charlatans who literally just make shit up and deem themselves masters to sell books, and courses. Kunlun being a prime example.

If you have any recommendations on any other schools or systems I am willing to listen, if you feel they are valid. I'd like to know their success rates also. For example if lineage promises liberation, how many students have achieved liberation? Are they themselves liberated? Do they have any evidence to support such claims?

Edited by More_Pie_Guy

My goal is stopping the death and rebirth cycle. I am motivated by dissatisfaction.

I have a strong physical frame, physically fit aerobically. I have no physical health issues.

I have a mental issue, but have a otherwise sound mind. I have recurring hypnagogic hallucinations of being paralyzed and having cold hands reach into my dantein, this is a common occurrence nightly usually. I have not decided if it is a recurring observation or a hallucination, in either case it seems mostly harmless and unavoidable. I am not willing to consider medication for this issue.

This newage hippy spiritual scene is filled mostly with charlatans who literally just make shit up and deem themselves masters to sell books, and courses. Kunlun being an example.

If you have any recommendations on any other schools or systems I am willing to listen, if you feel they are valid. I'd like to know their success rates also. For example if lineage promises liberation, how many students have achieved liberation? Are they themselves liberated? Do they have any evidence to support such claims?

Outside of China I can't recommend anyone. Not to say there aren't good teachers elsewhere, but that I haven't met any.

In Neigong cultivation there are two paths that support each other like a double helix. One is Xing (性) and the other is Ming (命). Ming cultivation improves the body, Jing, Yuan Qi, lower dantian and power. Xing cultivation improves the Shen, Hun, consciousness and awareness. Balanced cultivation requires both, if not in the same day, then in alternate phases. A energetically sound body is the best soil for Xing cultivation, and likewise, an emotionally sound mind is the best soil for Ming cultivation.

While any legitimate school of neigong will regard both, they tend to emphasize Ming cultivation. Buddhist cultivation, to the contrary, tends to emphasize Xing cultivation. And so one tends to find good hearted Buddhists who wouldn't, and couldn't, hurt a fly or fend off a cold, and hearty Daoists with explosive temperaments. Now that's a stereotype and there are plenty of exceptions. But there are many stories of interaction between Buddhists and Daoists for these very reasons - Buddhists help a wayward Daoist settle matters of the heart, and Daoists heal the ailing, energetically unfit Buddhist. I have yet to find a story that's reversed.

I earlier suggested a Vipassana retreat because I think it's very effective for settling matters of the heart/mind. One sincere 10 day retreat may be enough to untangle some important knots for you. The best validation of this practice may be the documentary, "Doing Time, Doing Vipassana." It's about using vipassana meditation to reform prisoners. Vipassana has no doubt been a great benefit to my own neigong practice.

Dissatisfaction is a powerful fuel, no doubt, burns strong but is poor quality. It's a fine place to start, your own industrial revolution, but eventually you'll have to clean up the pollution. Better off not basing your energetic economy on a dirty fuel. The sooner you switch to something sustainable, the better off you'll be in the long run.

Outside of China I can't recommend anyone. Not to say there aren't good teachers elsewhere, but that I haven't met any.

In Neigong cultivation there are two paths that support each other like a double helix. One is Xing (性) and the other is Ming (命). Ming cultivation improves the body, Jing, Yuan Qi, lower dantian and power. Xing cultivation improves the Shen, Hun, consciousness and awareness. Balanced cultivation requires both, if not in the same day, then in alternate phases. A energetically sound body is the best soil for Xing cultivation, and likewise, an emotionally sound mind is the best soil for Ming cultivation.

While any legitimate school of neigong will regard both, they tend to emphasize Ming cultivation. Buddhist cultivation, to the contrary, tends to emphasize Xing cultivation. And so one tends to find good hearted Buddhists who wouldn't, and couldn't, hurt a fly or fend off a cold, and hearty Daoists with explosive temperaments. Now that's a stereotype and there are plenty of exceptions. But there are many stories of interaction between Buddhists and Daoists for these very reasons - Buddhists help a wayward Daoist settle matters of the heart, and Daoists heal the ailing, energetically unfit Buddhist. I have yet to find a story that's reversed.

I earlier suggested a Vipassana retreat because I think it's very effective for settling matters of the heart/mind. One sincere 10 day retreat may be enough to untangle some important knots for you. The best validation of this practice may be the documentary, "Doing Time, Doing Vipassana." It's about using vipassana meditation to reform prisoners. Vipassana has no doubt been a great benefit to my own neigong practice.

Dissatisfaction is a powerful fuel, no doubt, burns strong but is poor quality. It's a fine place to start, your own industrial revolution, but eventually you'll have to clean up the pollution. Better off not basing your energetic economy on a dirty fuel. The sooner you switch to something sustainable, the better off you'll be in the long run.

Exceptionally we said my friend.

:D

neigong is the only 'validated system' ?

what have you been smoking my friend? have you not look at all into other traditions? the Tibetan system is very complete and powerful, validated by the many realized practitioners. there are also systems of Vedanta that are very powerful, and the West have a powerful arsenal as well. I prefer the Tibetans, they know what they are doing.

You need to study and figure out it is is you actually want. enlightenment is just a word, people have different definitions. You said you want to stop the birth and death cycle? well first of all how do you know that this cycle even exists let alone that you can stop it? furthermore who is this "me" that wants to stop the cycle? does that "me" exist?

if you have 3 masters I don't know what you're doing here. you should go talk to them about it.

I know what you mean Lin,,,.,. dissatisfaction was my primary fuel. still is, but i'm beginning ngondro (preliminary practices) in Tibetan tradition, and i'm really starting to understand their purpose.. you build dedication. devotion, and bodhicitta. part of the ngondro is contemplation of the 4 thoughts.

the Four Thoughts that turn the Mind toward the Dharma are Precious human birth, impermanence, samsara, and karma.

1. the freedoms and advantages of precious human rebirth

2. the truth of impermanence and change

3. the workings of karma

4. the suffering of living beings within Samsara

#4 is important because this is the foundation to compassion, without compassion, bodhicitta (awakened mind) one will not go far on the path.

dissatisfaction is due to impermanence.. change is never satisfying, and desires are never fulfilling.

the root of dissatisfaction is clinging to the self, this is indeed dirty fuel. the best fuel, the purest fuel, is bodhicitta.

neigong is the only 'validated system' ?

what have you been smoking my friend? have you not look at all into other traditions? the Tibetan system is very complete and powerful, validated by the many realized practitioners. there are also systems of Vedanta that are very powerful, and the West have a powerful arsenal as well. I prefer the Tibetans, they know what they are doing.

You need to study and figure out it is is you actually want. enlightenment is just a word, people have different definitions. You said you want to stop the birth and death cycle? well first of all how do you know that this cycle even exists let alone that you can stop it? furthermore who is this "me" that wants to stop the cycle? does that "me" exist?

if you have 3 masters I don't know what you're doing here. you should go talk to them about it.

I don't believe I said neigong was the only validated system, only that I had only seen a few systems validated. Tummo is a validated practice, more so than neigong even.

You have to admit that most of this information on the market is just newage bullshit, written by space cadets and charlatans to turn a buck.

If you want to learn any discipline in this life, you start by studying the techniques of masters of that discipline. I want to achieve liberation, so I seek masters who are they themselves liberated and can prove such. Seems reasonable to me, if you find a flaw in my logic please point it out.

AWESOME reply, man! +5 :)

So, xing cultivation would typically include Buddhist mental cultivation (see 5 here).

While ming cultivation would typically include Taoist bodily cultivation.

And would this split also apply somewhat within Taoism to the pre-Song, heavenly jindan "shen-qi-jing-void" approach vs post-Song, humanly neidan "jing-qi-shen-void" approach?

Based on what I've been able to glean from Akrishi's site, the Golden Elixir does not explicitly use the Jing-Qi-Shen-Void process, which occurs naturally as a result of this the pre-heavenly approach, which is a pre-Song dynasty process and relates back to the I Ching and the Dao De Ching (By the way, Akrishi has a very nice translation of the Dao De Ching).

According to Akrishi, the Inner Elixir is a post-Song Dynasty process, and explicitly uses the Jing-Qi-Shen-Void process. [Edit: Incorrect attribution deleted] According to Akrishi (emphasis is mine):

BTW, this is rather confusing, because Lu Dongbin's Jin Dan Jiao (School of the Golden Elixir of Life) explains jindan, yet apparently his other teachings popularized neidan? So, although he knew both, he was apparently the turning point from one to the other during the Song Dynasty?

the root of dissatisfaction is clinging to the self, this is indeed dirty fuel. the best fuel, the purest fuel, is bodhicitta.
It is our instinctive nature to move away from pain towards pleasure. A carrot and a stick keeps a mule moving twice as fast.

But, what if there was no Heaven or Hell?

Then we'd be happiest where we're at enjoying the dramatic contrast between both.

And maybe that's why we're here.

You need to study and figure out it is is you actually want.

Check

You said you want to stop the birth and death cycle? well first of all how do you know that this cycle even exists

If there is no such cycle that would imply either an atheist world view of oblivion after death, or a theistic world view of an eternal afterlife as a spirit. Either of these scenarios is acceptable.

let alone that you can stop it?

We can only do our best, I'll do my best and thats all I can do.

I didn't come here for any spiritual advice, I came here to ask real world advice, on changing my lifestyle.

Edited by More_Pie_Guy

I don't believe I said neigong was the only validated system, only that I had only seen a few systems validated. Tummo is a validated practice, more so than neigong even.

You have to admit that most of this information on the market is just newage bullshit, written by space cadets and charlatans to turn a buck.

If you want to learn any discipline in this life, you start by studying the techniques of masters of that discipline. I want to achieve liberation, so I seek masters who are they themselves liberated and can prove such. Seems reasonable to me, if you find a flaw in my logic please point it out.

I dont know what you mean by information on the market. I don't really read much New Age anymore. I think its definitely hard to know if a teacher is the 'real deal' or not..and this is why I walked away from couple teachers I had of the whole Advaita Hindu Kundalini thing because theres no authentication.

I'm with you that you need some 'proof' of their realization. but how do you get this proof.. by 'feeling'? this doesn't always work, and how do you judge accuracy? unless you are highly realized yourself, you can not judge a teacher.

I'm completely deluded, with no spiritual powers and clairvoyance. so I go by authenticity. In the Tibetan system this is easy to do, because there are unbroken lineages. All the teachers are legit who are authorized to teach in a given lineage. that's the beauty of Vajrayana. the 4 schools of Vajrayana (Sakya, Nyingma, Kagyu, and Gelug) are like 4 hospitals with slightly different methods, and the lineages are like successions of Doctors, each with slightly different styles, but all of them trained meticulously through completely systematized methods, and have shown necessary signs of accomplishment. no one with the title Rinpoche is not highly realized.

I don't know many Hindu or Chinese lineages with such scrutiny in preservation of authenticity, teachings, and method. but that's my personal opinion. Tibetan Buddhism is tough though, you have to be serious and know what it is you want.

It is our instinctive nature to move away from pain towards pleasure. A carrot and a stick keeps a mule moving twice as fast.

there is no mule!

:)

this instinctive nature that you talk about is ego, likewise this instinctive nature gets angry at someone who kicks you, and really possessive with someone who satisfies your desires. it isn't real.

if you want to think in terms of method: the purpose of bodhicitta, compassionate mind, is to counter act this instinctive nature.

Edited by mikaelz

I'd be interested in hearing about your experiences of masters in china and what schools they belonged to.

For the most part they are affiliated in some way with Longmen Pai - Dragon Gate Lineage. Some monks, others householders. But I've also met masters in Huashan Pai, Emei, Zhengyi family, and even Confucian lineages.

I'm not qualified to say if any are enlightened. However, from my experience I think that genuine gongfu is more a matter of the cultivator, his or her teacher, and their relationship. The school is secondary. Not unimportant, just secondary.

Good luck.

Edited by 松永道

:lol:

And would this split also apply somewhat within Taoism to the pre-Song, heavenly jindan "shen-qi-jing-void" approach vs post-Song, humanly neidan "jing-qi-shen-void" approach?BTW, this is rather confusing, because Lu Dongbin's Jin Dan Jiao (School of the Golden Elixir of Life) explains jindan, yet apparently his other teachings popularized neidan? So, although he knew both, he was apparently the turning point from one to the other during the Song Dynasty?

I'm not familiar with any texts that describe shen-qi-jing-void. Do you know where that reference comes from? The only processes of converting shen to qi to jing that I'm aware of occur in birth and as preliminary training for internal cultivation, ie Yin Xian Fa. But in that case you're using condensing shen to direct qi to build jing only to turn the process around jing to qi, qi to shen, shen to void.

However, there are differing opinions on just how that process was achieved. Wei Boyang in his "Zhouyi Cantongqi" mentions a Shang De, superior virtue, and a Xia De, lesser virtue path to immortality. Shang De, without desire, occurs naturally, even instantaneously. Xia De, ever desiring, uses disciplined method to achieve the same process. However, Wei Boyang considers both to be legitimate paths. Shen-qi-jing-void may be a description of the Shang De way .. or maybe not. In either case the black and white way of interpreting cultivation grayed over by Lu Dongbin's time to cultivating the spectrum of Xing mind/heart/virtue and Ming body/qi/power.

I'm not qualified to jump into the philosophical discussion here, although it has been fascinating to read. 松永道, thank you for that succint explanation of 性命.

Two thoughts... Have you considered wwoofing? I did this for four months in New Zealand, hitchhiking from place to place and meeting all kinds of people. There are many farmers in many countries who take wwoofers, and as you will be able to see if you Google this organization, hosts tend to be very unusual people. In fact, in New Zealand many of the hosts (farmers and otherwise) became organic/permaculture farmers to find a way to live "off of the grid" and enjoy a lifestyle defined primarily by their own standards and wishes. Also in New Zealand, many of those hosts maintain various kinds of spiritual practices and say so in their profiles. I can't speak for other countries, but I suspect it is in many ways much the same the world over.

It strikes me as quite possible that if you spent some months wwoofing wherever you are or would like to be, you might meet a person with a bit of land who would let you stay there, practically undisturbed and for a long period of time, in exchange for a few days of work each week. The typical wwoofer's commitment is 4 hours a day in exchange for room and board... If you found somebody who was amenable to your requests and had spare land this doesn't sound like much more work than you're looking to do. Also, much of it would be solo work, done fairly close to nature.

As to teaching English abroad, I too am in China and I certainly don't have nearly enough time to sustain the practice routine you describe, but that is because I am serious about learning Chinese and also hold down a job that is about a 20 hour/week commitment once travel and prep time is included. However, here and in many other countries you will find plenty of ex-pats who have been around for stints of a decade or longer who don't speak the local language. Thanks to the ubiquity of English and the power of sign language, they get by just fine and thus are extremely time-rich people. Depending on how often you need to see your masters, it is possible to find a job like mine or with even less of a time commitment in one of many countries. Such a positions will allow you to comfortably survive with your own home and a round trip ticket to your place of origin once a year. If your lifestyle is simple--it sounds like it is--you should even be able to save quite a bit of money at the same time. I will add, though, that if you don't like dealing with people you may, um, not exactly like being Mr. Foreign English teacher.

Edited by Walker

:( Tease!

Any hints? As in Buddhist, Taoist, etc?

:( Tease!

Any hints? As in Buddhist, Taoist, etc?

All belong to a different taoist school, not all are religiously taoist however. Also I am sure all of my teachers have been discussed in length here on TTB, and other forums. I am just not allowed to discuss my training in the systems.

-mpg

Edited by More_Pie_Guy

THE REST OF YOUR LIFE!?!?

How old are you? Do you think that perhaps in 20-30-40-50- years you will be the same person with the same goals!?

Please, if you are young try to keep your options open for your self, do not close ANY open doors that are now offered to you

By assuming that you will always want/need/expect to live what seems an ideal life with your current life view and perspective...you may trap your self in an "ideal" world that was not in your actual best interest as a seeker or just a human being - to become attached to...

Being a spiritual seeker/practitioner can become pretty escapist for some folks and that is just too bad, so be mindful of your real intentions and goals before closing off opportunities that will not be offered in the future.

In other words the life you describe seems more ideal for an old timer rather than a healthy choice for a young man...

but you may be ideally suited for it right now - meditate on this more would be my advice-

love to all-Pat

Sign in to follow this